Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi2 View Post
I guess we don't want to document real world performance improvements vs useless glock mods lol.
Why would you expect slow fire accuracy to change from a trigger? I think people can use the 5lb pull stock trigger just fine

Split time change would be cool to see, and could change if this enables a shorter reset in addition to lower pull weight
Old 02-09-2021, 10:43 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
Why would you expect slow fire accuracy to change from a trigger? I think people can use the 5lb pull stock trigger just fine

Split time change would be cool to see, and could change if this enables a shorter reset in addition to lower pull weight
A trigger is everything to slow fire accuracy. Ask any accuracy competition shooter. I can tell from dry firing that my slow fire accuracy will be much better. The break is better, it is much easier to keep the sight from moving during the pull and through the break.

But without overtravel and more pretravel mods this trigger is not going to win any splits race.

I have and have had enough Glocks and various triggers to know what to expect at the range just from dry firing at home. This is the best yet and I am very confident my groups will be tighter than ever.

I have not decided which Glock I am going to shoot first with this Timney, it may not stay in this G34 for the range. I will post some target pics when I do though.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-09-2021 at 1:54 PM..
Old 02-09-2021, 1:49 PM
Veteran Member

Waiting on range time too.

I upgraded three last items this go around. The brass was getting jammed under the optic when it was top mounted. I sorted it out, but did so with more power in the loads. So I started losing the nice recoil pulse I developed. Plus, the cases were ejecting horizontally as they smacked the plate. Ergo, the side mounted C-More.

Then, I previously had a simple rod slide racker mounted to the dove tail, but realized it was a pain in the neck when trying to service the gun, or swap recoil springs during load development. I found this neat ring design slide racker made by Brass Stacker (very solid part) of solid billet brass I presume. It slides nicely through the Carver frame mounted optic without any fuss.

Finally, it was the Timney trigger that I just decided to get all these last three upgrades. I had been fussing with trigger performance with what looks like an impressive build on the outside, but couldn't get anywhere near reliable primer ignition chasing a lighter trigger pull. I had given up, and basically had a Ghost connector with OEM springs, and OEM striker. Not a bad trigger, but nothing better than any of my polished OEM glock triggers.

Now......... I have what looks like a Rock'n Glock Open gun that can take on Major Power factors with a KKM barrel and 3 port compensator enhanced with a trigger that gets me 2.5lb with a 6 pound striker spring that will ignite anything.

The trigger came out of the box with maximum take up already tuned. The trigger safety just barely clears the frame as is when in the full extended position. There is considerable take up that could safely be halved were it not for the safety bar.
Old 02-09-2021, 5:48 PM

Trigger arrived today from Midway and just finished installing it on a G34. This is my first non-stock Glock trigger.

Feels great!
Old 02-09-2021, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
A trigger is everything to slow fire accuracy. Ask any accuracy competition shooter. I can tell from dry firing that my slow fire accuracy will be much better. The break is better, it is much easier to keep the sight from moving during the pull and through the break.

But without overtravel and more pretravel mods this trigger is not going to win any splits race.

I have and have had enough Glocks and various triggers to know what to expect at the range just from dry firing at home. This is the best yet and I am very confident my groups will be tighter than ever.

I have not decided which Glock I am going to shoot first with this Timney, it may not stay in this G34 for the range. I will post some target pics when I do though.
Awesome. Hope you get the results you are looking for. I don’t do 25-50yd bull eye, so you’d know better.

I’m fine with the TTI setup on my g34 for 7-25yd action shooting and my g20 is a defensive gun I want to keep 100% reliable but I’m following this thread closely for sure
Old 02-09-2021, 8:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumdood View Post
Trigger arrived today from Midway and just finished installing it on a G34. This is my first non-stock Glock trigger.

Feels great!

Mine arrived today from Midway as well.....
Probably going to install it this weekend...😃😃

Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 02-10-2021, 6:33 AM

I got word from Timney support that they are looking into different colors but with no time frame on when.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:51 PM

I’m lazy so here’s a link to my thread on BENOS.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...ition-trigger/
Old 02-10-2021, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt350z View Post
I’m lazy so here’s a link to my thread on BENOS.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...ition-trigger/
Thanks for linking that

What’s your take on the last comment in that thread, about there the gun basically being “condition 1” vs “condition 2ish” ? And have you experienced any reset issues in live fire?
Old 02-10-2021, 7:05 PM

IMO, I think all striker fired are condition 0 if chambered since there’s no manual safety. Doesnt bother me anyhow.

In regards to the reset, I did initially have a slightly draggy reset. First few hundred dry fire was with no lube so I could get the NP3 coating to polish itself. Once I lubed it and figured out my connector was causing the trigger bar to drag on the frame (Zev OZ9 so metal on metal), it’s gone away with zero binding and trigger is as responsive as can be. First match is Sunday, with the ammo shortages and costs I’m not gonna just dump some rounds at the range.
Old 02-10-2021, 7:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
Thanks for linking that

What’s your take on the last comment in that thread, about there the gun basically being “condition 1” vs “condition 2ish” ? And have you experienced any reset issues in live fire?
I realize I wasn't asked the question, but in terms of "condition", the trigger still has to be pulled to depress the firing pin safety plunger. Even if the striker releases unless that plunger is depressed the striker isn't going past it.

In regard to reset, I watched Johnny Glock's video on the install before I did mine. So I greased it up and grease or oil was applied to relevant contact parts.

I shot mine today at the range, and I had no problems at all. I really enjoyed the trigger for all it had to offer.
Old 02-10-2021, 8:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Mine arrived from Midway today and I was a little bummed. The box had been previously opened and mangled. The literature envelope was ripped and the literature had been opened, smudged, and crinkled. The trigger bar had greasy fingerprints on it.

I'll still install it, but wasn't happy with the condition of the product I received.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-10-2021, 8:53 PM

Default New Timney Glock trigger

Experimenting with different connectors tonight on my 3rd gen 17, I like the the feeling of the Glock “-“ connector best with the Timney Trigger.

Second best goes to the Zev Pro connector marked with “//“ two hash marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2021, 8:21 AM

Hi all, new guy here. I've been following the Timney Alpha trigger and you guys seem to be the most active on it.

Has anyone tried to make the break heavier for carry? I saw on an IG post Johnny Glock commented a 8# connector and a 5.5 firing pin spring would do the trick. Wondering what you guys thought about that and if anyone with a Lyman could give that a try and see how the pull is. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiver View Post
I got the trigger a few weeks ago. I have installed it and practiced dry firing with it...not bad.

Just had to put all the other stuff back on the gun too...

Can’t wait to try it at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What mount is that? Any issues with it holding zero? I’ve thought about one for my g20.
Old 02-15-2021, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
What mount is that? Any issues with it holding zero? I’ve thought about one for my g20.
That's a negative on the G20. It only fits on the 9mm/40SW frames.

Caver Customs:
https://www.carvercustom.com/

There are three variants of the mount.
1) The Competition height that requires removal of the iron sights
2) The Hunter height that allows retention of the iron sights
3) The version I have below allows for an Angle Mounted C-More, but is only an upgrade of the competition height version.

HOLDING ZERO is going to be more dependent on your sight choice. But, as a FRAME mounted the optic is going to be under a lot less battering than were it on the slide itself.

Carver Customs also provides a Californian Compliant Compensator weld service, but you have to buy the barrel and compensator from them along with sending your slide to them. It is only $100 for the work, and it came back to me inside of two weeks and was re cerekoted black after the welding.

This is probably the best frame mount system out there that DOES NOT require any modification to the frame.

Old 02-15-2021, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coals View Post
Hi all, new guy here. I've been following the Timney Alpha trigger and you guys seem to be the most active on it.

Has anyone tried to make the break heavier for carry? I saw on an IG post Johnny Glock commented a 8# connector and a 5.5 firing pin spring would do the trick. Wondering what you guys thought about that and if anyone with a Lyman could give that a try and see how the pull is. Thanks.
I don't think it's going to work that way. I did try with an OEM connector, and the trigger was still hovering around 3lb. Plus, to boot, I used a SIX POUND striker spring.

I don't see why anyone would want to go with this trigger for the sake of carrying if only to have the objective of the same pull weight. Why not just leave it alone?
Old 02-15-2021, 2:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

This is not a trigger design or meant to be used on a CCW pistol and my personal advice (not that it means anything) would be to not use on a carry gun.
Old 02-15-2021, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

No need to get anything special for a heavy trigger. Glocks come with a heavy trigger.

If you really want a heavier trigger than stock glock trigger, look into New York trigger.
It was designed for NYPD officers who shot up the Times square with mag dumps and completly missed the perp(s).
Old 02-16-2021, 6:55 AM

You guys don't feel the trigger pull and reset on the Timney Alpha is an improvement over stock?

The NY trigger sounds terrible haha.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You guys don't feel the trigger pull and reset on the Timney Alpha is an improvement over stock?

The NY trigger sounds terrible haha.

Not sure how you got to that out of all that’s been said here.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
Not sure how you got to that out of all that’s been said here.
My question would be - the Timney trigger with an 8lb connector should be a better feeling trigger than stock and still carry safe?
Old 02-16-2021, 12:47 PM

What is trying to be said is that the Timney is not a carry trigger. The name of it is "Alpha Competition". Cooley helped design the trigger and guess what, he's a competitor. Look at the type of triggers Timney makes...competition and hunting triggers. Maybe later on there will be an Alpha Defense or an Alpha Combat. But using a "competition" trigger for defense sounds like a bad idea to me. Also the trigger is made to reduce the effort needed to use it.

The very design of the Timney trigger isolates the pull and reset and makes the firing pin spring weight irrelevant and makes the connector weight close to non influential. The Timney is designed to work with a stock 5.5# connector and will give 3lb trigger. The use of a 3# connector gets a 2.5#. But that also depends on how one tunes the connector as well. But my point is that increasing connector weight will have little effect on the system.

Can't use the NY spring with the Timney system. The Timney replaces the Glock trigger spring and it has it's own trigger bar as the cruciform is a different shape.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My question would be - the Timney trigger with an 8lb connector should be a better feeling trigger than stock and still carry safe?

I would not even consider using this trigger in a carry gun it’s just that simple. For a carry gun about the only thing I would do is put a minus connector in it.

But Dooder said it better than me.
Old 02-16-2021, 4:58 PM

So I've done some connector and striker spring testing, unfortunately I don't have a trigger pull gauge... The Glock connectors are polished by me and I'm using a Johnny Glock polished striker and firing pin safety.

1. Lone Wolf Johnny Glock connector with 4.5lb striker spring. Very light pull with no discernible wall. I didn't care for that trigger pull, very much a rolling break.
2. Glock Dot connector with 4.5 and 5lb striker. Much better wall and semi predictable, slightly heavier trigger pull. I estimate .5mm of creep.
3. Standard no mark Glock connector with 5lb striker. Pronounced and predictable wall. Break is clean, with similar creep as the dot connector. When shooting I probably will not ever notice. This is the setup I'm going with.
Old 02-16-2021, 6:42 PM

Does this trigger negate the firing pin block of the Glock? There is a firing pin block that prevents the striker from moving forward unless the factory trigger is pulled. Does this TImney trigger hold the pin block open?
Old 02-16-2021, 6:54 PM

Default New Timney Glock trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSideburns View Post
Does this trigger negate the firing pin block of the Glock? There is a firing pin block that prevents the striker from moving forward unless the factory trigger is pulled. Does this TImney trigger hold the pin block open?

The Timney does indeed keep the firing pin block safety as well as all other factory safety features intact.

Old 02-16-2021, 6:55 PM

A lot of folk say the Timney drops a safety and it does not. The cruciform still rests on top of the drop safety notch. The cruciform still catches the striker if the trigger doesn't release the sear. The fp block does not lose any function at all and the trigger safety still works.
Old 02-16-2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
I would not even consider using this trigger in a carry gun it’s just that simple. For a carry gun about the only thing I would do is put a minus connector in it.

But Dooder said it better than me.

What makes this Timney trigger unsuitable for carry?

Old 02-16-2021, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post

It is not design to be used as that it is designed for competition use and in my opinion the trigger pull is to light for CCW. But that’s just me you do you.
Old 02-17-2021, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post
What is trying to be said is that the Timney is not a carry trigger. The name of it is "Alpha Competition". Cooley helped design the trigger and guess what, he's a competitor. Look at the type of triggers Timney makes...competition and hunting triggers. Maybe later on there will be an Alpha Defense or an Alpha Combat. But using a "competition" trigger for defense sounds like a bad idea to me. Also the trigger is made to reduce the effort needed to use it.

The very design of the Timney trigger isolates the pull and reset and makes the firing pin spring weight irrelevant and makes the connector weight close to non influential. The Timney is designed to work with a stock 5.5# connector and will give 3lb trigger. The use of a 3# connector gets a 2.5#. But that also depends on how one tunes the connector as well. But my point is that increasing connector weight will have little effect on the system.

Can't use the NY spring with the Timney system. The Timney replaces the Glock trigger spring and it has it's own trigger bar as the cruciform is a different shape.
Hey Dooder, I actually found Calguns through your youtube video on this trigger. Cool stuff man.

I get everything you guys are saying. And yes, I too also think a 3# trigger is too light for carry but if you happen to have an 8# (+) connector and wouldn't mind installing and measuring the pull weight that would cool. For science. Lol. Even though your trigger is modified I have a feeling the pull weight will be > than 4 lbs.
Old 02-17-2021, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hey Dooder, I actually found Calguns through your youtube video on this trigger. Cool stuff man.

I get everything you guys are saying. And yes, I too also think a 3# trigger is too light for carry but if you happen to have an 8# (+) connector and wouldn't mind installing and measuring the pull weight that would cool. For science. Lol. Even though your trigger is modified I have a feeling the pull weight will be > than 4 lbs.
Your best bet to crank up the trigger pull of a Timney Glock Trigger is to find a suitable L-Spring with a heavier weight for the new Trigger Return Spring.
Old 02-17-2021, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Hey guys, anyone with this trigger installed in norcal? Can I please meet you at a range to dry fire and compare with my current setup? Thank you!
Old 02-17-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Oh wow cool, glad to see that its out there and getting around.

I get what you're saying now and I find it rather interesting and want to give it a try. I think there could be some interesting outcomes with the + connector and tweaking it. Since there's no 6 or 7#, reprofiling the 8 could unleash something cool...or it may not haaha.

Theres a couple reasons this could work out good. One is that the stronger the connector, the more solid or less mushy the break will be and there will be a firmer wall. With that being said I'll bring something up again as well. The connector as well as the condition of the plunger and striker all play a role in the crispness if the trigger release and reset. If your plunger and strikers are munged up then you can expect some squishiness to come out of that.

@Snoopy47 brings up an interesting point as well. A stronger return spring will impart weight on the trigger pull but will do nothing for the characteristic of the break. It'll end up feeling like Ghost connector. That wall-less unpredictable, lack of tactile response feeling haaha. By changing connector weight higher the poundage should increase along with crispness....in theory haaha.

I've been dry firing quite a bit and did function testing at the range and you know what... I'm starting to find my Timney set ups a bit boring. The Lone Wolf - is a good connector but it offers a bit too much creep. In my stock Timney set up I'm trying out a Lantac Ssr-...its meh just like 90% of the other Glock parts out there.

When I get back in town next week Will try out some stuff. Meanwhile I'll procure a + connector haaha.

Last edited by Dooder; 02-17-2021 at 11:15 AM..
Old 02-17-2021, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post

If you are comfortable that you have enough trigger control to keep you firing an unintended shot with a 3lb trigger when under stress, then there is absolutely no reason, to my knowledge, why you couldn't carry a Glock with a Timney trigger. You might actually hit what you are aiming at instead of blasting dirt. As an aside, Plenty of folks carry 1911s with even lower pull weights and there is no rash of AD killings.

That said, you have to be super vigilant when reholstering. Otherwise, you could develop a serious case of Glock leg irrespective of your otherwise perfect trigger control.
Old 02-17-2021, 5:09 PM

I think that problem for a pull weight of less than 3 lbs is that it has no safety that you can engage except for keeping your finger off of the trigger. If you were to have AD and wound someone who is not the assailant or even if you fired and missed and hit a bystander the California DAs would charge you with everything they have. You would be portrayed as a person who installs "hair triggers" on your defensive weapons and they could find plenty of so called "professionals" who would say that your weapon would not be acceptable by any police force, and the that the manufacturer calls it a target trigger not a service trigger.
Old 02-18-2021, 9:40 AM

This is a start of something for all striker guns
Old 02-18-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTII View Post
If you are comfortable that you have enough trigger control to keep you firing an unintended shot with a 3lb trigger when under stress, then there is absolutely no reason, to my knowledge, why you couldn't carry a Glock with a Timney trigger. You might actually hit what you are aiming at instead of blasting dirt. As an aside, Plenty of folks carry 1911s with even lower pull weights and there is no rash of AD killings.

That said, you have to be super vigilant when reholstering. Otherwise, you could develop a serious case of Glock leg irrespective of your otherwise perfect trigger control.

Absolutely.

Handle dangerous object with care.

Train. Repeat. Train. Repeat. Train. Repeat.

Old 02-18-2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
You should not be messing with that takeup screw unless you have an intimate working knowledge of the Glock trigger and safety systems. I would also use a dab of blue loctite on that screw if you have it on hand. Back it out until you have a little gap between the trigger safety tab and the frame when the trigger is at rest
Thank you for the info. At the time I posted my question, I was actually referring to the allen head the secures the new trigger mechanism housing, and hadn't even realized there was an adjustment screw on the trigger shoe itself.

After you mentioned it I took everything apart again and set it to the appropriate uptake so that some pre-travel was taken out while maintaining full functionality of the trigger safety. I also did the 25cent trigger job on the assembly while I had the assembly out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post

@Snoopy47 brings up an interesting point as well. A stronger return spring will impart weight on the trigger pull but will do nothing for the characteristic of the break. It'll end up feeling like Ghost connector. That wall-less unpredictable, lack of tactile response feeling haaha. By changing connector weight higher the poundage should increase along with crispness....in theory haaha.

I had actually managed to lose my return spring when I had the my G19.3 apart at the range. I contacted Timney and they did offer to mail me a replacement, but it won't be here for another couple of days. So I ended up ordering several torsion springs from McMaster to see if one of them would work. If anyone is interested, this is the one that ended up fitting:

https://www.mcmaster.com/9287K78/

The legs will need to be trimmed down to roughly 12mm like the one provided with the Timney kit. The ID of the spring is slightly larger, and until I receive the replacement spring I won't be able to confirm if the wire diameter is the same. The return is definitely more pronounced with this spring. While I don't have the specs of the spring included with this kit, the specs of the one I used are shown in the link above. I'm no engineer but I'm 99% sure that by trimming the legs, the spring torque is affected. The provided specs are just a baseline at this point.

Here it is in conjunction with the replacement spring I sourced, a Ghost 3.5 bar, and some grease where Johnny Glock's video specified. ZERO hanging/reset issues.
https://imgur.com/a/PYpoTot

Last edited by aar0n_k; 02-18-2021 at 1:51 PM..
Old 02-18-2021, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

Funny how millions and millions of folks drive around on brake jobs they did themselves to their cars but tinkering with a gun is somehow beyond so many.