Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 03-26-2021, 12:08 PM

Default Will Receiving Out of State CCW Foul Up Applying for CA CCW?

I called an AZ school/dealer and asked about their training for the class they offer for CCW that covers 38 states. While talking to the guy he said that he's heard that having an out of state CCW could possibly throw a wrench in the works when later applying for my CA CCW. Is this true? I was hoping that having that permit would only help strengthen my chances of receiving my CA CCW.

I live in San Bernardino County if it matters.

NRA Member

Last edited by Eric Porters; 03-26-2021 at 12:11 PM..
Old 03-26-2021, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Porters View Post

I called an AZ school/dealer and asked about their training for the class they offer for CCW that covers 38 states.

While talking to the guy he said that he's heard that having an out of state CCW

could possibly throw a wrench in the works when later applying for my CA CCW.

Is this true?

I was hoping that having that permit would only help strengthen my chances of receiving my CA CCW.

Pure gun store nonsense!

I had my AZ CCW permit, and others, before I applied for my CA CCW.

No issues related to having out of state permits.

I even photocopied the out of state permits and included a copy with my CA app...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 03-26-2021, 12:22 PM

I'm in San Joaquin county in NorCal. It didn't affect getting my CA CCW.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

My CA training provider was handing out AZ fingerprint cards and applications at my renewal training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-26-2021, 12:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have OR, AZ, UT, and most recently got my CA just before Christmas 2020. When talking with the deputy processing my application, I would like to think if anything, it helped in getting my CA CCW. I was able to present myself as a long standing individual of good moral character as my out-of-state CCWs are 2nd renewals minimum and I had zero LEO encounters. To quote him, I lead a very boring life. Never did drugs, no history with LEO... Worst thing is a traffic ticket every 4 or 5 years.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Have you taken The Pistolero Challenge?
Old 03-26-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I called an AZ school/dealer and asked about their training for the class they offer for CCW that covers 38 states. While talking to the guy he said that he's heard that having an out of state CCW could possibly throw a wrench in the works when later applying for my CA CCW. Is this true? I was hoping that having that permit would only help strengthen my chances of receiving my CA CCW.

If you get your San Bernardino CCW you won't have to pay for any "training" to get your AZ permit after. And no getting the AZ permit first won't affect your CA CCW process but you'll be throwing some money away by doing AZ first.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:53 PM

I had my AZ one before I got my CA one. If anything I feel it helped.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:

It won't hurt or help.
San Bernardino will approve or deny based on their findings.
If you wait to get AZ you can use your CA in place of training.
You can use a DD214 if you are a Veteran.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 03-26-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerandy View Post
If you get your San Bernardino CCW you won't have to pay for any "training" to get your AZ permit after. And no getting the AZ permit first won't affect your CA CCW process but you'll be throwing some money away by doing AZ first.
Sorry I repeated your thoughts...was typing slowwwww, didn't see your comment.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 03-26-2021, 1:25 PM

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

NRA Member
Old 03-26-2021, 4:55 PM

"If you get your San Bernardino CCW you won't have to pay for any "training" to get your AZ permit after." - I believe this is try for any CA CCW permit as the training is required by the state. OP of the question was from San Bernardino so the response was spot on. But for folks from other counties, this is also true.
Old 03-26-2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911-CV View Post
"If you get your San Bernardino CCW you won't have to pay for any "training" to get your AZ permit after." - I believe this is try for any CA CCW permit as the training is required by the state. OP of the question was from San Bernardino so the response was spot on. But for folks from other counties, this is also true.
They specifically mentioned San Bernardino so my answer specifically answered him with San Bernardino.
Infact any CCW meets the training requirements.

― Mark Twain
Old 03-26-2021, 8:04 PM

I had my renewed AZ permit before I got my CA. As GlockN'Roll did, I also submitted a copy of my AZ permit. I figured it couldn't hurt and may just help. My AZ permit was never mentioned at my "interview" or when I picked up my license.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

How do they come up with 38 states? AZ only gets you 38 if you are an AZ resident. CA plus a non resident AZ only gets you 35. CA plus a non resident enhanced ID permit will get you 38, but it requires two trips to Idaho. One for the 8hr class and to apply for the permit and a second to have your picture taken. For out of state residents you must have a permit from your state of residence. AZ will not get you WA. UT will get you WA, if you do not want to visit WA and get their permit. Otherwise, WA is simply completing the application, paying the fee and a set of prints. Of course, then there is OR. You must meet their training requirements, witch are not that difficult, and you will have to apply at a friendly Sheriff's office that will issue permits to non residents from adjoining states, ie WA, ID, NV & CA.
Old 03-27-2021, 4:27 AM

I had AZ, Fl and Utah and just got approved by LASD in LA County, so I'd say it's not an issue!
Old 03-27-2021, 6:30 AM

I can confirm that it is total non-sense. I just got my approval last week from OCSD.

When I initially applied, I did not have my AZ permit, and was issued during my time waiting for my interview. I disclosed this in my interview and the interviewer asked me to upload a copy of it among a couple of other documents. After uploading all documents, I got a text message with an approval 1 hour later. This tells me that I was already approved during the interview or right after. They just needed documents to be on file to cover themselves.

I doubt anyone would do this, but just in case. Not disclosing that you had/have one or got denied for whatever reason will definitely hurt you. As it will show up on their end and they will assume that you are not transparent. Things from 20 years ago showed up on mine, luckily it wasn’t a big deal and I disclosed during the interview. I heard things came up for some Calgunners from beyond 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2021, 9:44 AM

FWIW.....

Here in Ga., you walk in, pay the court fee of about $75 now I believe, they do prints right there and in a couple weeks it shows up in the mail. No training, no interview, no shooting, nothing. Pay, prints, check mail.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:40 AM
retired Goon

Quote:

I have a CA LTC permit issued by the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department.

When I initially applied, I had a valid NV non-resident CCW permit and disclosed this fact.
During my interview, the deputy made a copy of my NV non-resident CCW permit.
I was later approved for a CA LTC permit.

After I had my CA LTC permit, I decided to obtain an AZ CCW permit in lieu of renewing my NV non-resident CCW permit.
Making a copy of my CA LTC permit and including it with my AZ CCW application, met the AZ CCW training requirements.
I received an AZ CCW permit with 2 weeks of mailing in the AZ CCW application.

During my renewals for my CA LTC permit, I disclose I have a valid AZ CCW permit and include a photocopy of it with my renewal applications.
My renewals have never been denied.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-28-2021, 5:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a total of eight CCW permits, including California. I had seven non-resident permits before I applied for my California permit. During my initial interview almost eight years ago I was asked why I had so many permits? My answer was simple. I traveled a lot around the country and I wanted to have the most coverage possible when crossing state lines. This was/is a true statement. I was approved for my California CCW without any further questions or comments on the issue and I am coming up on my fourth renewal. It has never been an issue. This is total FUD. Having other CCW permits neither helps nor hurts when applying for a California permit. There is so much BS out in the world regarding the issue of CCWs. Don't believe any of it. Carry on!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!

Last edited by Big Jake; 01-07-2022 at 11:38 AM..
Old 03-28-2021, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
FWIW.....

Here in Ga., you walk in, pay the court fee of about $75 now I believe, they do prints right there and in a couple weeks it shows up in the mail. No training, no interview, no shooting, nothing. Pay, prints, check mail.
Good for you but not relevant at all to the conversation.

― Mark Twain
Old 03-28-2021, 9:15 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
Good for you but not relevant at all to the conversation.
Thank you for the chuckle ma'am!