Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 04-21-2021, 2:08 PM

Default 870 Police trade in

What era/years are good for the 870 Police? On a list for the police trade ins upon hearing a LGS gets them in regularly. Not that I need another shotgun but I need another shotgun, plus I don’t have an 870 Police. What’s a good price since one hasn’t been mentioned yet. I’m sure there’ll be wear and tear from the thing sitting in the rack in the cruiser for years.
Old 04-21-2021, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

While I am no 870 expert, I've bought several police trade-in glocks in the past and have a police trade-in Remington 700 Police LTR 308. In each case they've been great. Usually show a decent amount of wear on the outside, but great condition inside. Carried often, shot little. Police don't train like they should/we think they do. I've taken these guns and put them through training courses where I fired 800 rounds in a weekend, and they ran flawlessly. Not the bolt action, but the Glocks. 800 rounds through that could by a beach house.

The really old school wood stock 870 with the matte finish would be awesome. But that is doubtful to be an option. Honestly, anything would be cool.

I dig that these guns have a history of service behind them. I search gunbroker for police trade-in all the time. Looking for a deal.
Old 04-21-2021, 3:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

From what I've seen lately, prices are horrendous. More than they cost new not long ago.
Old 04-21-2021, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

The ones I've seen don't have the iffy workmanship that the 870 express models do. Think a real Wingmaster without the deep bluing. I haven't seen any that are less than 5 years old though.
Old 04-21-2021, 3:56 PM

As far as buying any guns right now, unless you have a serious need for something, it would probably be a better idea to just wait until things cool down and prices stabilize at more normal levels.

That's coming from someone who already has everything I ever wanted with only a ew minor holes I can easily live without.

You really need a decent Pistol, a Battle Rifle of some kind and it would be nice to have a Tactical Shotgun as well. a decent supply of ammo for each one would probably be a good idea as well.

You will need to be equipped for the upcoming Civil War that is all but certain unless the Democrats stop bastardizing this country.

If we don't prevail in the next election this country is doomed, and there won't be any coming back unless we fight, and I don't mean at the Ballot Box.

It is well past time, and it only took 3 months, to stop this madness. if action isn't taken soon it will be impossible to go back and we will live as slaves to insanity.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 04-21-2021, 4:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralston View Post
What era/years are good for the 870 Police? On a list for the police trade ins upon hearing a LGS gets them in regularly. Not that I need another shotgun but I need another shotgun, plus I don’t have an 870 Police. What’s a good price since one hasn’t been mentioned yet. I’m sure there’ll be wear and tear from the thing sitting in the rack in the cruiser for years.
Correct...I have 6 or 7 with a bit of variety. None are Express models...some are police models...others are Wingmasters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
While I am no 870 expert, I've bought several police trade-in glocks in the past and have a police trade-in Remington 700 Police LTR 308. In each case they've been great. Usually show a decent amount of wear on the outside, but great condition inside. Carried often, shot little. Police don't train like they should/we think they do. I've taken these guns and put them through training courses where I fired 800 rounds in a weekend, and they ran flawlessly.

The really old school wood stock 870 with the matte finish would be awesome. But that is doubtful to be an option. Honestly, anything would be cool.

I dig that these guns have a history of service behind them. I search gunbroker for police trade-in all the time. Looking for a deal.
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
From what I've seen lately, prices are horrendous. More than they cost new not long ago.
Checking the Equipment Exchange on arfcom has given me the best results, and prices.

Tactical is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 04-21-2021, 4:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Arfcom is worthwhile for something?? Who knew?
Old 04-21-2021, 7:09 PM

If the receiver is engraved with the words "Wingmaster" or "Police", then consider buying it at a good price. (no more than $600, and I would be looking at $250 to $400 tops.)

Police shotguns are cycled about four to six times a day, have rack ware, and are shot a few times a year for qualification of the officer. Therefore, they may look a little rough, but are every bit as good as the newer "Wingmasters" or "Police" models.

I would steer clear of the "Express" for various reasons.
Workmanship, aftermarket items are model specific (barrel retaining caps... specifically the ball detentes on the cap vs the barrel lug.), magazine tube extenders, and the existing mag tube rolled crimp that needs to be pushed out. Just a few headaches around the express model.

Best regards,
870classic.
Old 04-21-2021, 8:17 PM

Thanks guys. The current Express I have is an Express magnum from 1996. I replaced the extractor on it and added the short forend. It’s worked well for me but would like an actual 870 Police. My current agency decided to destroy all of our old 870’s rather than letting the rank and file buy them and went to a 40mm less lethal option. I’m fine with the wear and tear and know they always performed flawlessly for me.
Old 04-21-2021, 8:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Too many safe queens out there for me to get excited about popo trade ins.

Well maybe one with provenance of some gun battle.
Old 04-21-2021, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

For under $400 police trade in 870s are a good buy.
Ive picked up a few wingmasters that were so smooth
Old 04-22-2021, 7:04 AM
Veteran Member

I would simply offer you the advice of don’t be timid when trying to barter. I’ve handled the purchases and sales of weapons for a small agency the number of times and the paltry sums of money paid for those trade in guns usually means the shop is selling them for 3 to 4 times what they paid.
Old 04-22-2021, 9:42 AM

Default 870P X 2

Bought two 870Ps in 1989 for about $210 OTD (each). California Highway Patrol trade-ins in great condition with the factory boxes. One was supposed to be for the BIL but he reneged (thanks Bro').
Old 04-22-2021, 9:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Arfcom is worthwhile for something?? Who knew?
Apparently, you didn't know.

The Equipment Exchange there makes Calguns' Marketplace look like a nursery school class. Believe it or not, rules there are actually enforced.

Heaven goes by favor.

Last edited by -hanko; 04-22-2021 at 2:37 PM..
Old 04-22-2021, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

I bought a used Police Magnum on Gunbroker.com for less than $250 several years ago. The current demand has caused those prices to significantly increase. Unless it is necessary, I would wait for prices to return to normal.
Old 04-22-2021, 8:11 PM

The other side of this is your asking about a shotgun that is not made any longer under the name of Remington. Therefore the prior prices of $250 or $350 were one lucky son of gun.

We are now past supply and demand or reasonable prices and into the realm of a few rare collectible gems which is the Remington 870 Police Magnum. If you have one, hang on, it will be irreplaceable. If you dont have one, your out of luck.

Your best option is get past the PM and get something that comes close to 870 quality and that's reasonably priced.
Old 04-22-2021, 8:50 PM

I'm sure it's agency specific but is there a way to find out if one is selling them? Or do they just sell to/through dealers. I'd be down for a police trade in.
Old 04-23-2021, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
I'm sure it's agency specific but is there a way to find out if one is selling them? Or do they just sell to/through dealers. I'd be down for a police trade in.
For us it was always a fixed deal of we wanted to offload certain guns and acquire certain guns. We’d typically get an offer from a law enforcement dealer of (for example) “for every 3rd gen sw pistol you send us we’ll sell you a Glock with night sights and 3 mags for $151 each”.

I know i once got to buy a surplus Winchester 1300 defender 12 gauge for $75 because the trade in company would only offer $50 for them.
Old 04-24-2021, 4:32 PM

Picked up this 1975 Wingmaster a few years back that was from the Sacramento PD.

$195 with plastic furniture and well worn finish. Sold the furniture here. Had it refinished with GunKote over parkerizing, new wood off eBay, a 1 shot extension, a new front bead, and a new spring later and I am into it for about $400 total.

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984
Old 04-24-2021, 7:41 PM

Default Benelli Silver Pigeon

Delete
“The authority of constitutions over governments, and of the sovereignty of the people over constitutions, are truths which are at all times necessary to be kept in mind...” James Madison, The Report of 1800, Jan. 1, 1800.

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution
Old 04-24-2021, 7:42 PM

Delete
“The authority of constitutions over governments, and of the sovereignty of the people over constitutions, are truths which are at all times necessary to be kept in mind...” James Madison, The Report of 1800, Jan. 1, 1800.

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution
Old 04-24-2021, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnrovers View Post
Picked up this 1975 Wingmaster a few years back that was from the Sacramento PD.
Now that is what I am talking about. Your restoration turned out really nice.

I wish I had pics of all the police trade-in's I've picked up over the years. Most I've done is refinish the slides and add new sights.
Old 05-03-2021, 3:41 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Surplus Police Tactical Shotguns are super cool and seem to appreciate in value nicely over the years .
Old 05-03-2021, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Dunno what is current, but about 5 years ago Anaheim Police had a public auction of shotguns. The prices were pretty good and I kick myself in the *** for not bidding.
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.
Old 05-03-2021, 2:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms View Post
Surplus Police Tactical Shotguns are super cool and seem to appreciate in value nicely over the years .
I did not find any surplus police shotguns in your tactical shotgun web pages...what am I missing??

Heaven goes by favor.