Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-21-2021, 3:05 PM

Default Is illuminated reticle necessary?

Looking to pick up a 4-16X scope and wonder if most people buy scopes with illuminated reticle. Purpose of this setup is to punch holes on paper during daytime.

Background: On my 1-6 Razor gen ii, I turn on illuminated reticle only when using it like a RDS at 1X. I have a cheap non illuminated 3-9 on a 22LR rifle and its seems to do the job.

Basically, is it worth saving few $ in buying non- illuminated mid to high mag riflescope?

Last edited by n8vrmind; 04-21-2021 at 3:17 PM..
Old 04-21-2021, 3:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If it were the same price, I guess I'd consider it. I am a newbie at long range paper punching, but my Bushnell 3.5x 21 has a perfectly usable reticle under early morning to almost sunset use.

For me, I don't need it, but if it helps you see the reticle better, maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... Im definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-21-2021, 3:26 PM

Not necessary, but nice to have. I have had a few, and some things to consider:
1. A simple dot or a thin circle works well.
2. Too many lines, elevation marks, etc. are very distracting.
3. Ability to adjust brightness is mandatory. Too bright in a low-light situation and you will lose your target.

During daylight hours, it's not really necessary unless you're losing the reticle on the target. But low light is very nice to have.

Just my $.02
Old 04-21-2021, 4:07 PM
Calguns Addict

not really required
Old 04-21-2021, 4:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback... I imagine I would be better off paying for the glass quality rather than for illumination that I don't really need.
Old 04-21-2021, 4:18 PM

If it were a hunting rig, Id say absolutely. Killing paper and ringing steel, I see no need.
Old 04-21-2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8vrmind View Post
Looking to pick up a 4-16X scope and wonder if most people buy scopes with illuminated reticle. Purpose of this setup is to punch holes on paper during daytime.

Background: On my 1-6 Razor gen ii, I turn on illuminated reticle only when using it like a RDS at 1X. I have a cheap non illuminated 3-9 on a 22LR rifle and its seems to do the job.

Basically, is it worth saving few $ in buying non- illuminated mid to high mag riflescope?
I've never used my illumination other than messing around with it.

If shooting short range paper, not needed.

If shooting long range paper and somehow need it, then the illumination makes your reticle lines bigger which is a negative
Old 04-21-2021, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Is it necessary? No.

Is it desirable? Yes.

There's only been a couple times in my life that I've lost the black crosshairs due to the environment at that moment. I couldn't take a shot. An illuminated reticle would have been awesome at those moments. But, that happens so infrequently, it's simply a luxury unless your life depends on it or you spent thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars on that hunt. Then you'll wish you had chosen otherwise.

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 04-21-2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8vrmind View Post

It depends on what you want to do/accomplish with the scope. If I were to purchase a scope today I would definitely want an illuminated reticle because I would have very low light uses for it like on coyotes in very low light. However if you never plan to use your scope in low light then why would you need an illuminated reticle? It's up to you. Is it better to have it and not need it on the chance a situation may arise in the future is up to you.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Many if not most illum reticles are not going to be daylight bright. Meaning that in the daylight, when poiinted at a brightly lit target, you won't see red (or whatever color the reticle is) you'll see black. However, when you hover over something dark you're going to see a little bit red and not black so the reticle does not completely washout.

This can be disappointing. It's hard to use at speed like a red dot would. You can get a top of the line daylight briight self-defense red dot for $800. In my limited experience the same cannot be said of an LPVO (lower power variable optic). You can spend $1500 plus, and not have something daylight bright. There are some inexpensive options out there that will be, don't ask me which as I have not found them, but they won't be the super high end trust your life to them scopes. You need to spend $3K up for that. So for self defense, a red dot is the best way to go. You get something much more useful for less money.

During dawn, dusk, and darkness you're going to see red with an illuminated reticle regardless of price point. This, and when targeting dark targets, is where they shine. Forgive the pun.

For what you're looking to do, you don't need to go crazy with the price. But an illuminated reticle can be helpful. Even on a flat range in daylight, you can't control the sun or the shadows. It won't be the end of the world, but you'll miss not having it. It is a nice creature comfort. That said, if you find a deal on something a little higher end than you'd normally go...maybe it's worth doing without. Just depends on what you find out there.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 04-21-2021 at 10:18 PM..
Old 04-22-2021, 7:42 AM

If your target is in low light or shadow and you put your black cross hair on it, how you going to see the center?
Old 04-22-2021, 7:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Nice to have options. No necessary but why miss that on money shot that needs it.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 04-22-2021, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKAllTheThings View Post
If your target is in low light or shadow and you put your black cross hair on it, how you going to see the center?
"Purpose of this setup is to punch holes on paper during daytime"
Old 04-22-2021, 9:52 AM

For your purposes as you stated, it is not necessary. However I would opt to get the illum. model if there were no difference in price.
Old 04-22-2021, 1:57 PM

Follow up question.

What do CG folks feel about new riflescope brands like Arken and Element that have received rave reviews by YouTubers? My other optics are Vortex and Primary Arms since I get Mil/Vet discount so those newer brands don't offer much price advantage.
Old 04-22-2021, 2:10 PM

Be careful of paid YouTube reviewers... they'll say anything if you pay them the right amount

I haven't seen these reviews in particular, are they from reputable YouTubers or just channels that review items? There's maybe a handful of reputable gun-related YouTubers, and most of the rest are gear-pr0n guys or paid advertisements in disguise.

Stay far away from anything you find associated with airguns or airsoft... it just won't hold up on a real gun with real recoil.

Last edited by NorCalRefuge; 04-22-2021 at 2:12 PM..
Old 04-22-2021, 2:21 PM

https://youtu.be/xByZXNQHPy8

Arken seems promising, but I don't like the way this new company seemingly go out of its way to avoid discussing their scopes are ChiCom made. Vortex is pretty upfront about counties of origin for their riflescopes (China, PI, Japan, or domestic production)
Old 04-22-2021, 6:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It is for me. And it better be really good illumination too.

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/