Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 04-18-2022, 8:43 AM

Just tell them you identify as a GUNsite student named Alfrieda, Al for short…

Old 04-18-2022, 6:50 PM
Veteran Member

Just back from a 4 day defensive handgun class at Front Sight. Last time attending this form of class was in 2003.
I am a First Family member who bought in on the buddy deal they offered way back when. This form of membership limited us to certain classes. At the time it was the cheapest way to become a member. Cost for both was around $1800.00.

Back to the current class.
Mon-Thur. 34 students in our class. About 200 students on property.
Miles was lead instructor with 2 fellow instructors assisting him.
6 in my group. One of us had just purchased his first handgun and had not fired it.

Loads of changes to the format of this class since attending so long ago. Certainly better due to the new structure.
The buddy system where those shooting have a buddy watching them is a clever system. Downside to this would be if 2 shooters are relatively new to shooting themselves than coaching each other would be very limited.
It is a huge advantage to have 2 shooters familiar and comfortable with structured range training helping each other. Subtle aspects can be more easily caught and encouraged through each firing evolution. The 2 other instructors moved readily through the firing line helping where they could.
Helping students understand grip with the hands on aspect of grabbing a forearm of a Rangemaster is clever. Never seen this done before. Since I also teach it was a great takeaway.

Lots of Glocks represented with many M&Ps. About 5 mini holo equipped handguns used in the class.
I ran a Gen 1 Glock 17 open sights in the first 2 days. Switched out to a RMR equipped M&P for the last 2 days. Shooting a holo gun just allows greater ease over opens only.
Due to the sun angle in the morning I found from 3-5 yards easier to just use the opens. The time constraints just made it easier for me to get my hits. 7 yards and back the holo made it silly easy as long as I did my small part.
I run a fiber optic red front. Blacked out rear. The holo features a dual illumination green triangle.

No turning targets used for the skills test. Unlike my first time attending in 2003. A huge advantage. No night shoot now. That seemed like a waste of time anyways. Out of 6 prior classes attended in 2003-2007 we did the night shoot one time. They simplified the door clearing exercise along with the decision making shoot/no shoot run through.

I whole heartedly recommend training at Front Sight. I have had considerable formal instruction outside Front Sight. For the cost and quality nothing comes close in a competitor.
The new shooter now has had more formal instruction than most firearm owners will ever see any value in obtaining. Through just 4 days he has a elevated sense of responsible and safe handgun use. I would consider him above average for the type of client I see on the range. The training is that good.

The skills test will challenge most. We had 4 who made Distinguished Graduate. 2 students had zero penalties. It seemed like a equal amount of “Thanks for coming graduates” and just graduate.
I saw at least 4-5 students who I thought would DG only to graduate. Surprisingly the rangemasters caught way more over time finishing drills by students than I imagined.

We all had a great time. It’s awesome to have someone else doing the finger pointing while you just enjoy the process.

Last edited by Matt P; 04-18-2022 at 6:56 PM..
Old 04-18-2022, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
might be fun to go back to 4DDHG and work your way towards Master Prep again.
it'll just be funny / confusing if the Instructors remember you by your other name.

side note: they're not going to care, just tell them you go by "_____" now.
I am seriously wanting to try this out… Once the post-July schedule is up, I will find a membership transfer. If all turns out well, would have it as a nice Christmas family vacation, just like in 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_G22 View Post
Just tell them you identify as a GUNsite student named Alfrieda, Al for short…

I am not complaining…

_
Old 04-19-2022, 2:56 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt P View Post
Just back from a 4 day defensive handgun class at Front Sight. Last time attending this form of class was in 2003.
I am a First Family member who bought in on the buddy deal they offered way back when. This form of membership limited us to certain classes. At the time it was the cheapest way to become a member. Cost for both was around $1800.00.

Back to the current class.
Mon-Thur. 34 students in our class. About 200 students on property.
Miles was lead instructor with 2 fellow instructors assisting him.
6 in my group. One of us had just purchased his first handgun and had not fired it.

Loads of changes to the format of this class since attending so long ago. Certainly better due to the new structure.
The buddy system where those shooting have a buddy watching them is a clever system. Downside to this would be if 2 shooters are relatively new to shooting themselves than coaching each other would be very limited.
It is a huge advantage to have 2 shooters familiar and comfortable with structured range training helping each other. Subtle aspects can be more easily caught and encouraged through each firing evolution. The 2 other instructors moved readily through the firing line helping where they could.
Helping students understand grip with the hands on aspect of grabbing a forearm of a Rangemaster is clever. Never seen this done before. Since I also teach it was a great takeaway.

Lots of Glocks represented with many M&Ps. About 5 mini holo equipped handguns used in the class.
I ran a Gen 1 Glock 17 open sights in the first 2 days. Switched out to a RMR equipped M&P for the last 2 days. Shooting a holo gun just allows greater ease over opens only.
Due to the sun angle in the morning I found from 3-5 yards easier to just use the opens. The time constraints just made it easier for me to get my hits. 7 yards and back the holo made it silly easy as long as I did my small part.
I run a fiber optic red front. Blacked out rear. The holo features a dual illumination green triangle.

No turning targets used for the skills test. Unlike my first time attending in 2003. A huge advantage. No night shoot now. That seemed like a waste of time anyways. Out of 6 prior classes attended in 2003-2007 we did the night shoot one time. They simplified the door clearing exercise along with the decision making shoot/no shoot run through.

I whole heartedly recommend training at Front Sight. I have had considerable formal instruction outside Front Sight. For the cost and quality nothing comes close in a competitor.
The new shooter now has had more formal instruction than most firearm owners will ever see any value in obtaining. Through just 4 days he has a elevated sense of responsible and safe handgun use. I would consider him above average for the type of client I see on the range. The training is that good.

The skills test will challenge most. We had 4 who made Distinguished Graduate. 2 students had zero penalties. It seemed like a equal amount of “Thanks for coming graduates” and just graduate.
I saw at least 4-5 students who I thought would DG only to graduate. Surprisingly the rangemasters caught way more over time finishing drills by students than I imagined.

We all had a great time. It’s awesome to have someone else doing the finger pointing while you just enjoy the process.
Thank you for sharing. This is the Front Sight we know and enjoy. Hopefully they can keep it up and running.
Old 04-23-2022, 7:21 PM

On property for another 4 day handgun and Friday's weather was quite fun.

When I arrived:

lunchtime:

Last edited by Jedi54; 04-23-2022 at 7:24 PM..
Old 04-24-2022, 11:10 AM

Pictures aren't showing.
Old 04-24-2022, 2:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
On property for another 4 day handgun and Friday's weather was quite fun.

When I arrived:

lunchtime:

Fixed it. Jedi didn’t use The Force.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 04-24-2022, 4:28 PM

Thanks beanz
Old 04-25-2022, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

sub'd
Old 05-04-2022, 8:23 AM

I scheduled a handgun skill builder class in 3weeks 5/25 and a shotgun skills test on 6/5.

Seeing that the schedule is not extending beyond June, maybe it would be fun to take the last class on 6/29 a 2 night handgun skill builder?
Old 05-05-2022, 6:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sad curtain call.

Our last class will be a 4DDHG. Kind of a full circle since that class was our very first FS class. My wife and I haven’t taken a class together since THG/ATHG 2 years ago and I haven’t taken any handgun classes since then.

This danged concealment garment keeps getting in the way on my magazine pouch…

Old 05-05-2022, 7:29 PM
Why Change the Default?
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I just got back from a 4DDHG class 29 April - 2 May. 31 people on our range, from beginner to incredible skilz. We commented on the generally low attendance. But besides that, it felt almost normal. One huge benefit was being able to use the FS Bucks for nearly everything: Ammo, lunches, everything we wanted in the Pro Shop. It made the course feel quite inexpensive.
Out of the 31, 6 DGed, including all 3 in my group, and a set of brothers. There was a husband/wife team who were amazing. He DGed. Her timed head shots at 5 and 7 yards looked like a ragged hole drill. She didn't wear concealment, as she had DGed recently and it was very hot, so she did not qualify for DG, but I am sure she would have added to the number.

All in all, it was good. It had been 18 months since I had taken a FS course, and it was great to get back at it. Jeff Tucker was the RM. I did not particularly like his style, but the others were at the expected very high standard.
Old 05-06-2022, 7:20 AM

I'll be back out next weekend, curious to see what the attendance is like.
Old 05-06-2022, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
I just got back from a 4DDHG class 29 April - 2 May. 31 people on our range, from beginner to incredible skilz. We commented on the generally low attendance. But besides that, it felt almost normal. One huge benefit was being able to use the FS Bucks for nearly everything: Ammo, lunches, everything we wanted in the Pro Shop. It made the course feel quite inexpensive.
Out of the 31, 6 DGed, including all 3 in my group, and a set of brothers. There was a husband/wife team who were amazing. He DGed. Her timed head shots at 5 and 7 yards looked like a ragged hole drill. She didn't wear concealment, as she had DGed recently and it was very hot, so she did not qualify for DG, but I am sure she would have added to the number.

All in all, it was good. It had been 18 months since I had taken a FS course, and it was great to get back at it. Jeff Tucker was the RM. I did not particularly like his style, but the others were at the expected very high standard.
I've had Tucker before as a RM and ended up really liking him. He was a bit rough the first day, but class started late (no fault of his) and he had to spend most of the day trying to get us caught up. Days 2, 3 and 4 he was great.
Old 05-06-2022, 5:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
I've had Tucker before as a RM and ended up really liking him. He was a bit rough the first day, but class started late (no fault of his) and he had to spend most of the day trying to get us caught up. Days 2, 3 and 4 he was great.
Just be sure to only talk to him when he is facing you. If he looks like he ignoring you, it is because he can't read your lips...

Old 05-09-2022, 8:46 PM
Why Change the Default?
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post

I may have started with 2 strikes against me. Having multiple guns on my CCW, I try to shoot one of the less common ones the first day, and then migrate to the weapon I carry most. I did exactly that. Except, I go one of the magazines for the day 2 gun mixed in with the Day 1 gun. As instructed, I indexed a loaded magazine and gave it a good solid push in there, and that was it. Mag would NOT come out. Of course I told Tucker, who sent me off to the armorer. Even he had a tough time. (Apparently my CA-required magazine disconnect got caught in the mag and would not let it go. He had to slide a wire in there and get it out of the way.)

But at that point, I think I had flipped the Bozo-bit, and he had little patience for me. He never once talked with me unless I was asking him a question.

So, maybe my fault, but it was a rocky relationship...

Old 05-09-2022, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Tucker… I someone recall that name… I looked up into my photos archive, and indeed - he was my RM at my first time at FS. 4DDHG - my wife and I.

He was also one of the instructors (or RM) in my first ATHG a few months later.

Wow! It has been a long time now…

_
Old 05-10-2022, 9:35 AM

Had a great time out at FS this past Saturday.

1-Day Private HCMT. Four Shooters.

Wyatt as RM - awesome as always.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:26 AM

Wyatt is always a great RM.
Glad to hear it went well LV. How did everyone do on the test
Old 05-10-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Wyatt is always a great RM.
Glad to hear it went well LV. How did everyone do on the test
All 4 shooters have previously passed.

I played around shooting it with a Green Dot Holsun 508T.

My lowest score Saturday was a 54.
Old 05-13-2022, 2:27 PM

**ATTENTION**

"For the time being" ALL STUDENTS can bring their own Ammo. Even if you are renting a Firearm from us.
The Ammo still has to meet our requirements and pass weapons inspection.

https://www.frontsight.com/firearms-...o-required.asp

**Attention**
To all Students attending any Rifle Marksmanship or Precision Rifle Courses, Due to ammo shortages we ask you to please provide your own ammunition needed for the course. We appreciate your cooperation.

The Ammo Bunker is currently out of stock of .45ACP and 20ga ammunition at this time. We expect to receive more shipments soon. If you are planning on bringing a .45acp or 20ga Shotgun to your training course, please bring your own ammunition. If you do not have your own ammunition, we have plenty of 9mm handguns that we can rent out for your training course. If you are not able to find ammunition for an upcoming shotgun course, we may be able to put you in a rifle or handgun course. Please call 702 837 7433 and speak with our concierge department to inquire about this. We do not have an exact time frame for the shortage, so for now it is until further notice. For more information, you can contact the Ammo Bunker on what caliber's are readily available. Have a great day.

Front Sight Management
Old 05-13-2022, 3:31 PM
CGN Contributor

Maybe it's time to take the M16 or Uzi class without spending a fortune on their ammo
Old 05-13-2022, 3:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAllen View Post
**ATTENTION**

"For the time being" ALL STUDENTS can bring their own Ammo. Even if you are renting a Firearm from us.

**Attention**
To all Students attending any Rifle Marksmanship or Precision Rifle Courses, Due to ammo shortages we ask you to please provide your own ammunition needed for the course. We appreciate your cooperation.

The Ammo Bunker is currently out of stock of .45ACP and 20ga ammunition at this time. We expect to receive more shipments soon. If you are planning on bringing a .45acp or 20ga Shotgun to your training course, please bring your own ammunition. If you do not have your own ammunition, we have plenty of 9mm handguns that we can rent out for your training course. If you are not able to find ammunition for an upcoming shotgun course, we may be able to put you in a rifle or handgun course. Please call 702 837 7433 and speak with our concierge department to inquire about this. We do not have an exact time frame for the shortage, so for now it is until further notice. For more information, you can contact the Ammo Bunker on what caliber's are readily available. Have a great day.

Front Sight Management
I'd suspect a cash flow issue. Good on them.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 05-13-2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
I'd suspect a cash flow issue. Good on them.
Agreed, as well as reduce assets in case of possible foreclosure.
Old 05-13-2022, 5:37 PM

Quote:
**ATTENTION**

**Attention**

Front Sight Management

Where did you get this from? The link you provide goes to the old ammo policy. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2022, 5:55 PM

I have a class in a week and a half and it was sent in an email.
I just copied and pasted the entire content.
Old 05-13-2022, 6:55 PM

Should be a hot weekend. Wonder if the weather is to blame or if it has to do with people being upset with the good Dr and not training there anymore.
A little over 200 students on property today .

I can confirm that the ammo news above is accurate and simply for the time being
Old 05-14-2022, 12:04 PM

Thanks guys.
Going out in mid June for my first and probably last 2 day private class.

Old 05-17-2022, 7:53 AM

There's something you don't see every day.

okay, can't get imgur photos to show using the 'insert image' icon so lets try just uploading
Attached Images
File Type: jpg q2Dds0I - Imgur.jpg (89.2 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Jedi54; 05-17-2022 at 8:12 AM..
Old 05-17-2022, 9:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Should be a hot weekend. Wonder if the weather is to blame or if it has to do with people being upset with the good lying Dr. and not training there anymore.
A little over 200 students on property today .

I can confirm that the ammo news above is accurate and simply for the time being
The whole place is for the time being.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 05-17-2022, 5:55 PM

Quote:
There's something you don't see every day.

okay, can't get imgur photos to show using the 'insert image' icon so lets try just uploading
I remember seeing one of those a few years ago. Isn't it a silenced gun?

Old 05-17-2022, 6:04 PM

Correct.
SilencerCo Maxim 9, internally suppressed gun. The thing absolutely dwarfed my XDM 5.25.
The owner let me run a few mags through it, it shoots incredibly flat with hardly any muzzle rise. Pretty neat gun.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:52 AM

still no course schedule past June on the website so I'm trying to get in a few more trips before then just in case...

Got Tac HG and Adv HG starting Monday.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wish I have the time to get in more classes. I have this pesky thing called work...

Old 05-18-2022, 4:22 PM

Work will always be there. FS?

I guess I will see hoe my handgun class goes next week, but I really think I'm going to sign up for the June 29th handgun night skill builder. Just to be in the last class. It's always fun shooting at night anyway.
Old 05-18-2022, 9:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Work will always be there. FS?

I guess I will see hoe my handgun class goes next week, but I really think I'm going to sign up for the June 29th handgun night skill builder. Just to be in the last class. It's always fun shooting at night anyway.
The problem is, no one can fire me if I don't show up for work LOL

Which handgun class, TeamAllen? I'll be there next week too. Taking 4DDHG with my wife for sentimental reasons, the first class we took at FS will be our last! We haven't been in the same class since THG and ATHG more than 2 years ago.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:41 PM

I will be in the 2-day HG Skill Builder 5/25-26
Old 05-19-2022, 7:35 AM

think I've got some friends signing up for Adv Tac June 26th.
Figure if it's our last class, might as well make it a fun one.
Old 05-19-2022, 9:31 AM

Lucky you can still go!!
I'm jealous!!
Old 05-20-2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Correct.
SilencerCo Maxim 9, internally suppressed gun. The thing absolutely dwarfed my XDM 5.25.
The owner let me run a few mags through it, it shoots incredibly flat with hardly any muzzle rise. Pretty neat gun.
Fellow XDM 5.25 owner but, in .45. Love it!