Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 04-06-2022, 5:10 PM

Default URSA 3000 Yard Challenge (2022) – rescheduled and venue changed

URSA 3000 Yard Challenge (2022) – rescheduled and venue changed

For lack of sufficient sign-ups for a 3K in SoCal, and only one qualified shooter from NorCal planning on coming down, it has been decided to reschedule the 2022 3K to May 15th at our NorCal venue and have a qualification session the day before, Saturday the 14th.

Registration is open. Those that have already qualified (check the listing link at the top of https://www.unlimitedrange.org/activ...0schedule.html), should register for Sunday, the 15th. Those that are interested in trying to qualify for the 3K, should register for Saturday, the 14th – if you qualify, we will have your sign and date the Saturday liability waiver again on Sunday.

Qualification info and Course of Fire for Saturday:
1. Saturday is dedicated to qualifying previously not-qualified shooters.
2. All shooting will be at the regular 2054-yard distance.
3. CoF (this mimics the normal monthly match CoF):
a. 7 practice shots and rotate;
b. 3 practice shots and immediately 10 “qualification” shots (to qualify to shoot “record” round) and rotate; and
c. for those that scored at least 3 hits in the 10 qualification shots, 10 record shots.
4. Any shooter that gets at least 5 in 10 during any of these three opportunities (7+3 practice, 10 qual, and 10 record) is then qualified to shoot the 3K on Sunday.

Registration closes at 6 PM, Pacific, on Wednesday, May11, 2022. There will be no onsite registration.

Any questions, please contact me ASAP – webmaster at unlimitedrange.org

PLEASE get you and your buds and budettes registered ASAP. Thanks.
ELR - anything shorter is point blank.

Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA), Webmaster and Marketing Assistant
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 05-01-2022, 12:14 PM

BTT - registration remains open, top of https://www.unlimitedrange.org/activ...0schedule.html. The qualification day, Saturday the 14th of May, and the 3K itself, Sunday the 15th, will be the only URSA events this month. To shoot the qualification event you MUST be registered. Registration closes at 6 PM, Pacific, on Wednesday, May 11, 2022. Thanks.

www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 05-08-2022, 6:14 AM

Reminder - registration closes at 6 PM, Pacific, on Wednesday, May11, 2022. There will be no onsite registration.

Reminder - already-qualified shooters CANNOT shoot on Saturday as this is not a regular match, just a qualification shoot.

Register at the top of https://www.unlimitedrange.org/activ...0schedule.html.

www.unlimitedrange.org

Last edited by ELR Researcher; 05-08-2022 at 12:36 PM..
Old 06-27-2022, 5:45 PM

Old 07-15-2022, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

First I’ve heard of this. I’ve got some work to do 3k is gonna require a dedicated spotter. Maybe a drone? How do you get that far alone?
Old 07-15-2022, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mmFMJ View Post
First I’ve heard of this. I’ve got some work to do 3k is gonna require a dedicated spotter. Maybe a drone? How do you get that far alone?
Simply not the case. As long as the shooter can see the impact, they can adjust for the error. Where this event is shot, and for most rifles used in these competitions, the shooter can see the impact. Folks trying to see impacts of small caliber bullets have a hard time. As point of note, other shooters will typically clime in to tell the shooter where the bullet landed, even how many mils or "gongs" off and at what clock.

Come out and shoot one of the monthly events and you'll see what is actually possible. The next match is in October (closed now for deer season) - see the schedule at https://www.unlimitedrange.org/activ...0schedule.html

www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 07-15-2022, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR Researcher View Post
Simply not the case. As long as the shooter can see the impact, they can adjust for the error. Where this event is shot, and for most rifles used in these competitions, the shooter can see the impact. Folks trying to see impacts of small caliber bullets have a hard time. As point of note, other shooters will typically clime in to tell the shooter where the bullet landed, even how many mils or "gongs" off and at what clock.

Come out and shoot one of the monthly events and you'll see what is actually possible. The next match is in October (closed now for deer season) - see the schedule at https://www.unlimitedrange.org/activ...0schedule.html
Reacquiring a target at nearly 2 miles within 3 seconds can be tough. And expensive data to reject.

I often shoot 285 ELDM’s at half these distances and can only confirm about half of my shots myself. One of a few reasons I don’t long range shoot alone is confirming shots.

Even spotting a miss in the dirt can be an optical illusion on flat or downhill. You perceive the shot as low but actually it was high and just barely went above the target but flew so far behind it that it can be seen splash under the target.

I have always used a 10x10” plate hanging 3 feet off the ground. So that really makes for a lot of misses. I’ve been contemplating getting a larger target. I’ve found 18x24 AR plates for 100$ each.
Old 07-15-2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mmFMJ View Post
Reacquiring a target at nearly 2 miles within 3 seconds can be tough. And expensive data to reject.

I often shoot 285 ELDM’s at half these distances and can only confirm about half of my shots myself. One of a few reasons I don’t long range shoot alone is confirming shots.

Even spotting a miss in the dirt can be an optical illusion on flat or downhill. You perceive the shot as low but actually it was high and just barely went above the target but flew so far behind it that it can be seen splash under the target.

I have always used a 10x10” plate hanging 3 feet off the ground. So that really makes for a lot of misses. I’ve been contemplating getting a larger target. I’ve found 18x24 AR plates for 100$ each.
Where did you get the idea that the target needs to acquired within 3 seconds? The target (gong) is known distance, slightly uphill, and known location. There is no time within which shooters need to fire once it is there turn, though, obviously, the MD will move shooters along if they are dragging out their shots. Please take the time to read the original post and then the info at the link to the detailed course of fire we use. Thanks.

www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 07-15-2022, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR Researcher View Post
Where did you get the idea that the target needs to acquired within 3 seconds? The target (gong) is known distance, slightly uphill, and known location. There is no time within which shooters need to fire once it is there turn, though, obviously, the MD will move shooters along if they are dragging out their shots. Please take the time to read the original post and then the info at the link to the detailed course of fire we use. Thanks.
I’m talking about seeing your impact at 3000 yards is near impossible without a spotter. Heck the same can be said for 1500 yards.

Without a spotter you have only a few seconds from trigger pull to getting back on glass before impact.
Old 07-15-2022, 6:06 PM

Given the time of flight, there is no issue getting "back" on target before impact. Most folks shooting our events spot for themselves through their scope. Again, read the original post and the linked info. Thanks.

www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 07-15-2022, 7:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Must be my setup. I’m usually laying prone and loading up the bipod with a bit of weight. When I set it off, the recoil back and down pushes my bipod into the dirt a little. When I get my eye relief back on I’m zoomed in so far that my field of view has shifted and sometimes it can be very hard to get my glass back on target before impact.

Maybe I need a different bipod, sand bags, steel plate or table under the blanket/bipod, etc… would be good to get out and talk to some other 1000+ yard shooters.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:19 AM

I shoot both a 50bmg and a 6.5 Creedmoor at 1,000 yard from a bipod on the ground and I have no problem getting "back on target" to watch my impact. I usually at about 22x on my scope.