Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Calguns Disaster Info/Assistance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Disaster Info/Assistance Calgunners Helping Calgunners

Old 09-01-2021, 5:29 PM

Looks like there's a bunch of structures around Wright's Lake. Here's the latest combo map with the GOES data for that location. Winds don't look good, at all....
https://sartopo.com/map.html#ll=38.8...2Cwxd_wgust-01
Old 09-01-2021, 6:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user120312 View Post
Looks like there's a bunch of structures around Wright's Lake. Here's the latest combo map with the GOES data for that location. Winds don't look good, at all....
Fortunately, not too far to the east is 2-3 miles of granite with very few trees.
* Augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
* Rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government
Old 09-01-2021, 7:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Wright's lake is beautiful but its super crowded. That whole area is.

Im super bummed that Lake Kirkwood campground appears to have been destroyed. That was a quiet little sanctuary.

Hopefully Silver Lake Campground was saved. They just reopened it this year, all new.

Caples campground was just completed this year too.

Hopefully Crystal Springs campground is still standing. The Tamarack fire came right up to it.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by Tere_Hanges; 09-01-2021 at 7:14 PM..
Old 09-01-2021, 7:17 PM

They have begun powering up in Christmas valley and nearby neighborhoods. Our blink camera came back up and, thankfully, the neighborhood looks okay (Oneidas & Pioneer Trail). SIS's house in Christmas Valley also looks okay, based on their cameras.
Old 09-03-2021, 5:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So, no more updates. Are we getting the upper hand on this?

Zoom Earth seems to show no further spread into Heavenly North or East this AM.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 09-03-2021, 8:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Lots of drops all night, all focused on the canyon run giving it nowhere to go. East of South Lake.

That fire NE of Portola has gotten revved up again and a lot of resources were reassigned to it. It a SE element (fork?) that branched out they hoped dozer lines would stop...they didn't.
Old 09-03-2021, 2:21 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Iā€™m at McClellan today and air traffic much less than yesterday. The big birds were in high gear yesterday. Most have taken off a time or two today but not like yesterday!
Old 09-03-2021, 5:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There were two repopulation orders today.

One at 2pm

Another at 4:45pm

Hopefully Jason_2111's home was included in one of those orders.

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)
Old 09-03-2021, 6:12 PM

Really glad that it has turned out well for many in Tahoe. My heart goes out to all the folks that lost their homes and everything they have worked for in this.
Old 09-03-2021, 8:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterclick View Post
Really glad that it has turned out well for many in Tahoe. My heart goes out to all the folks that lost their homes and everything they have worked for in this.
The fact that the fire literally jumped over Christmas Valley seems like a miracle. I know there were lots of fires among the homes as well but I understand they were very effective at protecting properties there!

You can look at the map showing the status of structures in the fire zone here.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)
Old 09-03-2021, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure it didn't "jump" anything. They just back burned what needed to be done in the knick of time.
Old 09-04-2021, 9:13 AM

Evidently, the embercast off of Echo vaulted over portions of the structures below and started spot fires some distance away which continued burning to the east/northeast. Later, when winds were more favorable for direct attack, crews started controlled burns in the unburned areas and did understory work to support structure protection.

This map view illustrates the fire behavior in that particular area.

Fortunately, it appears the worst is over. SLT sure dodged a bullet. I believe the Dixie fire traveled more distance, over 60 miles but the Caldor fire is one for the history books, running so far near 44 miles. Question is will they let the loggers in there to work the standing dead? I hope so.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:31 AM

SLT definitely dodged a bullet. Amazing.

Question: for any ā€œexperiencedā€ prior evacuees, what shall we expect for incoming mail deliveries after the populous are allowed back in?

As it stands today, the information I have is my mail is on hold in Carson. With proper ID I can retrieve it there. Opting out of that, will they deliver the accumulated mail to my home when my local post office reopens?

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
Old 09-04-2021, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR View Post
SLT definitely dodged a bullet. Amazing.

Question: for any ā€œexperiencedā€ prior evacuees, what shall we expect for incoming mail deliveries after the populous are allowed back in?

As it stands today, the information I have is my mail is on hold in Carson. With proper ID I can retrieve it there. Opting out of that, will they deliver the accumulated mail to my home when my local post office reopens?
We were in the Thomas fire and none of the local post offices closed down, but mail delivery was on hold for about a month. We had to go to the post office to pick it up, and it was 1/2-1 he wait to get mail. Additionally, many things were lost during the month and we didn't realize it. YMMV, but if it drags on keep on eye on what bills are due. In our case late fees were waived once we explained what happened including DMV late fees.

Hope you get home soon.
Old 09-04-2021, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Did they close the entire Tahoe area to just residents only?
At which time God screams to me "There's nothing left for me to tell you."
Old 09-04-2021, 6:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup of Cheese View Post
Everyone, including residents are under mandatory evacuation.

Here is the El Dorado County Evac Map as of a few minutes ago. Nevada has their own Evacuation Map and have evacuated territory as well.

Red indicates mandatory evacuation zone, Yellow indicates voluntary evacuation zone.

Official Map Here:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappvi....5492%2C102100
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-09-04 191054 Caldor Fire Evacuation Map.jpg (78.3 KB, 531 views)

Old 09-04-2021, 6:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
Everyone, including residents are under mandatory evacuation.

Here is the El Dorado County Evac Map as of a few minutes ago. Nevada has their own Evacuation Map and have evacuated territory as well.

Red indicates mandatory evacuation zone, Yellow indicates voluntary evacuation zone.
I missed the Nevada part. Got it. Thanks!
At which time God screams to me "There's nothing left for me to tell you."
Old 09-05-2021, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1 View Post
We were in the Thomas fire and none of the local post offices closed down, but mail delivery was on hold for about a month. We had to go to the post office to pick it up, and it was 1/2-1 he wait to get mail. Additionally, many things were lost during the month and we didn't realize it. YMMV, but if it drags on keep on eye on what bills are due. In our case late fees were waived once we explained what happened including DMV late fees.

Hope you get home soon.
Thanks brother.

I looked over the checkbook register yesterday and have an idea what should be arriving. Not much this time of the month.

As you mentioned, DMV and infrequent mailings like those are harder to track.

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"
Old 09-05-2021, 6:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup of Cheese View Post
The entire lake, even the north shore, is smoky and very unpleasant, if not unhealthy. I canā€™t imagine anyone wanting to swim or bike in the area. Get a smokerā€™s lung in one single weekend!

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
The entire lake, even the north shore, is smoky and very unpleasant, if not unhealthy. I canā€™t imagine anyone wanting to swim or bike in the area. Get a smokerā€™s lung in one single weekend!
My throat and lungs still hurt this afternoon in response to my very short time up in the outskirts of the western end of the fire yesterday morning as I tried to track down my mail.

Old 09-05-2021, 1:08 PM

The cabin my grandad built with his buddies up on Echo Summit in 1947 made it through the fire. 30+ cabins 200 yards down the road unfortunately did not.

Beyond thanks go out to the fire crews for doing their best to protect properties, with over 100 cabins being saved in the Echo Summit / Echo Lake area, plus hundreds of homes down in Christmas Valley below.

Thoughts to those whose homes and cabins did not make it, and those still in danger.

"Freedom is always just one generation away from extinction. We don't pass it to our children in the bloodstream; we have to fight for it and protect it, and then hand it to them so that they shall do the same, or we're going to find ourselves spending our sunset years telling our children and our children's children about a time in America, back in the day, when men and women were free." - Ronald Reagan, 1961
Old 09-05-2021, 2:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Some relief for Tahoe.

RELEASE DATE: September 5, 2021
3:00 p.m.

WHAT: Evacuation Orders Downgraded
WHEN: Effective Immediately
WHERE: El Dorado County

Evacuation Order Update:

The following Evacuation Orders have been downgraded to Evacuation Warnings in El Dorado County:
• South Lake Tahoe City Limits - From the Nevada State line west along Highway 50 tothe Tahoe airport. Highway 89 from the city northwest to the city's edge at West Way. Also Pioneer Trail from state line west to Al Tahoe Blvd.
• North of the City of South Lake Tahoe - All properties on the East (lake side) of Highway 89 extending north from the city limits to Emerald Bay. All properties on both sides of Highway 89 extending North from Emerald Bay through Tahoma.

The area of Fallen Leaf Lake, Christmas Valley, Meyers, and North Upper Truckee remains under an evacuation order.

Road Closures/Access
• Highway 88 is closed from Pickets Junction to Peddler Hill in Amador County
• Highway 89 is closed from Highway 88 (Pickets Junction) to Highway 50 in Meyers
• US 50 is closed from Fresh Pond to Sawmill Road
• Road Closures in the basin are at the City Limits on Pioneer Trl, Lake Tahoe Blvd, and Hwy 50 at Sawmill
• 207/Kingsbury Grade and US 50 will be open.
• As with evacuating, please be patient and remain calm as you drive back to town with one access point available.
• Gas up before getting on the road.

Announcement and map here.

Old 09-05-2021, 2:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A spot fire developed last night within the South-West Corner of the fire zone on the South side of the Consumes river - not clear if it was within the old fire zone, or slightly outside it.

Today we have new fires in FiddleTown in Amador County (Lawrence Fire) - not far outside the Caldor Fire Zone and one at the Foresthill Bridge in Placer County (The Bridge Fire)

Last edited by Cali-Glock; 09-05-2021 at 5:44 PM..
Old 09-05-2021, 2:54 PM
Veteran Member

Forresthill bridge?! Arson...

2x SKS Trench Art $480 & $500
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post28101198
Old 10-13-2021, 8:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

October 2021

Tahoe Mountain News

Headline article: Caldor Fire Origin

They interview Wil Berndt "Wil on the Hill" extensively as he and others tell the truth that contradicts the narrative being currently spun by government officials.

https://mountainnews.net/202110/

Old 10-13-2021, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

But hey them Fire Agencies are all hero's I was told and cussed out for questioning the initial response for other fires that they let burn because of no immediate threat.

"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." -Khan

"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift."-J.P.S.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
October 2021

Tahoe Mountain News

Headline article: Caldor Fire Origin

They interview Wil Berndt "Wil on the Hill" extensively as he and others tell the truth that contradicts the narrative being currently spun by government officials.

https://mountainnews.net/202110/
These people need to get ahold of Tom McClintock. Hopefully he will get the ball rolling on an investigation as to why the USFS sat back and did nothing on the Caldor Fire and other fires. I don't know how much CalFire had to do with laying back off of the fires. But I'll bet top officials have circled the wagons and crafted a nice fairy tale as to why they didn't jump on various fires.

Remember, they kept saying that there were no resources available, even though there were USFS and Cal Fire firefighters close by waiting for the word to jump on the fire. They also said the area was inaccessable, which is BS.

I think the boots on the ground are fine. I also think they have been told to shut up and keep facts and opinions to themselves.

During the daily briefings on the Caldor Fire, there was a woman forest administrator who who bleat nothing definitive. It was an empty, vague rah rah session. It made me want to puke.
* Augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
* Rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government
Old 10-26-2021, 10:58 AM

So, did the atmospheric river end this thing once and for all?
Old 10-30-2021, 9:24 PM

Did the atmospheric river end the fire, according to the Inciweb page, the answer is no. This is a quote from that page:

The fire will continue to creep and smolder within the fire area long into the winter.

I do remember a statement about the Tamarack fire that it would continue until the first snowfall. One would think that with the cold and the snow it would be extinguished, but snow can act as an insulator so rain or melted snow is probably the stake through the heart for this monster.
Old 12-08-2021, 8:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Two arrested on suspicion of starting the Caldor Fire

Father and son arrested on suspicion of starting massive Caldor Fire, district attorney says
Amy Alonzo, Kristin Oh, and Jeanine Santucci - Reno Gazette Journal
Published 9:30pm ET Dec 8, 2021

RENO, Nev. ā€” A father and son were arrested Wednesday in connection with the start of California's Caldor Fire which burned for more than two months in El Dorado County and threatened the Lake Tahoe area earlier this year.

David Scott Smith, 66 of Somerset, California, and his son, Travis Shane Smith, 32, of Folsom, were arrested for reckless arson, according to a statement from the El Dorado County District Attorney's Office.

The pair were arrested on a Ramey warrant ā€” one issued by a judge before a prosecutor has filed formal charges ā€” following an investigation by the U.S. Forest Service and the El Dorado County District Attorney's Office. The El Dorado County Sheriff's Office was not involved, according to Sgt. Eric Palmberg.

A person is guilty of causing a fire when they recklessly set fire to, burn, or cause the burning of any structure, forest land or property, according to the California Penal Code.

The Smiths' attorney, Sacramento-based criminal defense attorney Mark Reichel, told USA TODAY that Travis Smith called 911 after spotting the flames, and were in the area where the fire originated. Reichel said he is unaware of what evidence investigators believe links his clients to the start of the fire, but maintained they "definitely were not intentionally setting a fire."

Read the rest of the story here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/6442440001/

https://www.kolotv.com/2021/12/08/da...l-qItIHj6Y568c

Last edited by Cali-Glock; 12-08-2021 at 8:23 PM..
Old 12-09-2021, 8:11 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Just read an article that they were charged with machine gun and suppressor stuff too?
Old 12-12-2021, 1:02 PM

Every where I have gone back packing and I used to go 30 days a year living in Palo Cedro Calif has burned this year.