Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Wine Country Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2021, 4:07 PM

Default NICS denial, all of a sudden?

In the past year or so Iíve purchased firearms from Rinkor Arms and Markell, and have purchased ammunition from Markell on 3 occasions. Iíve also transferred 2 firearms in that time, FWIW.. and havenít had any issues. My HSC is current.

I went to G4 Firearms last weekend and had a great interaction with a salesman there and went to buy a box of 9mm rounds there (same as Iíve bought 3 times prior at Markell) and my NICS came back denied/rejected. We tried 3 times on the off hand chance that they didnít input something correctly and they all came back the same way.

Iíve been waiting for a new firearm to arrive at Markell, and it came yesterday. Today went there and told them about the denial at G4, we tried to do an ammo NICS today and it also came back denied/rejected.

What gives? Iím not sure how to go about getting information on this.

I havenít had anything happen that would preclude me from legally purchasing anything, and my last firearm purchase was less than 6 months ago.

Any ideas? I am at a loss.
Old 04-15-2021, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

What did you do, bro?

Kidding. I have no idea. That seriously sucks. I hope you get it figured out. I am not sure who to call. But I am betting some of the experts on here do. These days I've been throwing AR15Barrels under the bus a lot. He usually knows the answers to stuff like this. Maybe message him. I do when I'm at a loss.
Old 04-15-2021, 6:45 PM

I will reach out to him over the weekend. Markell is supposed to give me a call tomorrow with some direction on who to call about this but with COVID staffing at government facilities Iím pretty sure Iím SOL on any quick response.

I sold a handgun to get the new one, so Iím super bummed.
Old 04-15-2021, 7:37 PM

Looks like per the OAG.CA website there are a few things that will cause a rejection like an expired or suspended drivers license (not applicable to me) or trying to DROS before 30 days has passed since prior purchase (also not applicable).

In the case of NICS denial, it says theyíll send a letter within 2 weeks explaining why a person was denied.

My ammo NICS says both denied and rejected at the top, so maybe Iíll get a letter. Doesnít seem to be a method listed to contact the DOJ on the website for this issue, hopefully I get a number to call or get a letter.

Canít believe I waited months for the new handgun to come in and all of a sudden start having issues. Just doesnít make any sense.
Old 04-15-2021, 8:36 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

You are saying 'NICS' but I think you mean DROS.

I don't think CA does NICS for ammo, I don't even think they are allowed to.

Since you are being denied, the distinction becomes important- at least if you have plans to fix the problem. Fixing NICS problems and fixing DROS problems are two completely different processes with different agencies.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:06 PM

Though, given the number of errors for ammo purchasers, perhaps you can join the class-action lawsuit.

It wouldn’t surprise me if someone with a similar name is in some legal trouble.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49deluxe View Post
In the past year or so I’ve purchased firearms from Rinkor Arms and Markell, and have purchased ammunition from Markell on 3 occasions. I’ve also transferred 2 firearms in that time, FWIW.. and haven’t had any issues. My HSC is current.

I went to G4 Firearms last weekend and had a great interaction with a salesman there and went to buy a box of 9mm rounds there (same as I’ve bought 3 times prior at Markell) and my NICS came back denied/rejected. We tried 3 times on the off hand chance that they didn’t input something correctly and they all came back the same way.

I’ve been waiting for a new firearm to arrive at Markell, and it came yesterday. Today went there and told them about the denial at G4, we tried to do an ammo NICS today and it also came back denied/rejected.

What gives? I’m not sure how to go about getting information on this.

I haven’t had anything happen that would preclude me from legally purchasing anything, and my last firearm purchase was less than 6 months ago.

Any ideas? I am at a loss.
Your denial could be because someone ELSE with your name has recently become a prohibited person and now YOU are getting flagged.

Go get a livescan.
That will clear up any identification issues.
Then try again.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 04-15-2021 at 10:31 PM..
Old 04-16-2021, 1:00 AM

Thanks for the input.

Iím not familiar with LiveScan when it comes to the context of gun sales. Is there a resource online that can explain that?

I had a LiveScan done in January for sheriffs office for employment purposes but otherwise have no experience with them.
Old 04-16-2021, 8:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

Iím not familiar with LiveScan when it comes to the context of gun sales. Is there a resource online that can explain that?

I had a LiveScan done in January for sheriffs office for employment purposes but otherwise have no experience with them.
If you already have a 3 month old Livescan on file, it's probably not an identity issue.

I don't know where you can go read about it, but a Livescan fine-tunes your identity with DOJ.

For example, let's say your name is John Henry Smith but you use John H Smith on most applications because most applications only ask for middle initial.
Now let's say that John Halbert Smith gets on the NICS prohibited list.

Let's look at your name and his name side by side:

John H Smith
John H Smith

As you can see with just the middle initial, John Henry Smith matches the John Halbert Smith that is on the prohibited list.
This is how people get identity related rejections from the NICS system.

When John Henry Smith gets a livescan, the DOJ will better know who he is and that he is not the same as John Halbert Smith.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:34 AM

I gotcha. Damn.

I guess Iíll have to wait and see what happens. Iíll update as I can, in case someone else finds themselves in the same predicament.
Old 04-26-2021, 5:40 PM

Update.

My Shield 9 was due to be released today for pick up, so I went and grabbed it. No issues with DROS.

Also ran a new ammo check today which came back approved like normal, so Iím assuming there was a glitch in the matrix somewhere. Nonetheless, glad to have my freedoms returned.
Old 04-27-2021, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Update.

My Shield 9 was due to be released today for pick up, so I went and grabbed it. No issues with DROS.

Also ran a new ammo check today which came back approved like normal, so Iím assuming there was a glitch in the matrix somewhere. Nonetheless, glad to have my freedoms returned.
Just your trusty .gov at work with your freedom and rights.