Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:44 PM

Question First time doing a PPT for an off roster pistol

I really hope I'm asking in the right thread. If not, please don't bash me.

I'm going to be doing my first PPT for an off roster pistol and I had a few questions.

1. If the firearm in question wasn't obtained/ imported legally, at what point would I know? Would it be immediately when the FFL inputs the serial number? I have a huge fear of giving someone $1000+ and them walking away scott free while I'm out a gun and the money.

2. For PPT's, would there be any random reason I'd fail the background check if I normally would pass for a new purchase?

3. If the firearm was not legally imported/ obtained, what happens to it? Does the FFL hold it for ransom or does it get destroyed/ confiscated by the local PD/SD???

Any advice and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 09-24-2021, 3:44 AM

First is the meet and greet.

if any hint of no FFL don't even think about it.

get as much information about your seller that is not prying into their personal lives

looks at their history and rating, on calguns

both of you have to do paper work together, if the firearm is not legal I would think your **** out of luck, and I would think the seller will have a felony.

I hope the PPT runs a serial check while the seller is still in the shop.

have done over 6 PPT on calguns and never one single issue.

PPT doesn't like the money transfer in the shop.

communication is key... good luck

cost should be 48.00 with dros and no tax, buy ammo from the shop..
help a bit
Old 09-24-2021, 7:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTouge View Post
I really hope I'm asking in the right thread. If not, please don't bash me.

I'm going to be doing my first PPT for an off roster pistol and I had a few questions.

1. If the firearm in question wasn't obtained/ imported legally, at what point would I know? Would it be immediately when the FFL inputs the serial number? I have a huge fear of giving someone $1000+ and them walking away scott free while I'm out a gun and the money.

2. For PPT's, would there be any random reason I'd fail the background check if I normally would pass for a new purchase?

3. If the firearm was not legally imported/ obtained, what happens to it? Does the FFL hold it for ransom or does it get destroyed/ confiscated by the local PD/SD???

Any advice and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Let's take this one at a time.
1. Unless the gun is stolen nothing is going to happen. In fact one of the options to "registering" when someone moves here is to sell it. I don't think too many people knowingly selling stolen guns are going to walk into an FFL dealer and present their DL.

2. No it's the same check.

3. The only time anything is going to happen to the gun is if it is stolen, and I think you can figure out what. Either way as I said there probably is zero chance of someone knowingly selling you a stolen gun. It could happen but they've pretty much given the dealer and the PD their info to find them.

There are probably thousands of guns not listed in AFS, from the paper record days. DOJ is not known for their speed in entering those into the database. Those will not show up when the check is done, and nothing happens.

While there is a requirement to "register" for people moving here, I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for not doing it.

Now relax take a deep breath, there is a 99.9999% chance that it will go through just fine. Hell you're probably taking a bigger risk driving to the dealer these days.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:10 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

The serial number check is not immediate. While extremely unlikely to be stolen, the only way you will find out the gun is marked stolen is well after the DROS day

Old 09-24-2021, 8:27 PM

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate the help and insight. I'm praying that everything will go smoothly and there won't be any hiccups ��
Old 09-24-2021, 8:44 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Talking

Relax, you'll get better at it ! We all did.
Old 09-25-2021, 6:49 AM
Veteran Member

Can FFLs run serial numbers to check for stolen guns? If not, does CA DOJ do this as part of the DROS process?
Old 09-25-2021, 7:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Can FFLs run serial numbers to check for stolen guns? If not, does CA DOJ do this as part of the DROS process?
DOJ does it, and or it's automatic when the serial is input into the system. However the dealer as far as I know is notified by DOJ, it doesn't pop up on their screen.
Old 09-25-2021, 8:36 AM
Calguns Addict

If you are buying off CalGuns a 100% iTrader rating with many transactions is a good sign you won't have a problem. New user with no rating - it's your $ and your risk.
Old 09-25-2021, 9:57 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Can FFLs run serial numbers to check for stolen guns?
No, unfortunately

Old 09-25-2021, 6:25 PM

Just a small update, I met up with the seller and it turns out that he's a LEO so I guess I did over think it. The reason he was selling was because he upgraded. I really appreciate everyone reaching out and helping me out!
Old 09-26-2021, 6:14 PM

Ive driven 5-6 hrs to meet calgunners over the years for ppt’s.All have been great and not a hitch at all.had one seller misrepresent a pair of sk 2000’s.He claimed to have put 200 rds in each.I make the long drive to so cal and check them out,and they are both glistening new and not a scratch!Always a good idea to toss some money at the shop you did the ppt at,as they made peanuts for that time.ammo,gear,t shirt,parts whatever,help those guys out