Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 09-25-2021, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

I like me some pokey pokey things but my daily is HoneyBadger flippers. Cheap but good steel and IKBA ball bearing pivot. I’ve had more than a few now and my ZT, Strider, HEST have all been in the bag since then. No sense in hating the fact you left 259$ on a table in Monterey lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-25-2021, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
As someone who had a fair sampling of many Benchmades... I do not believe their QC is as good as ZT. I have had a few Benchmades where I could never get the blade play out of them. Maybe if I would have replaced the Phos-Bonze washers, but I think it was the knife body itself in the Presidio I am thinking of.
All ZT are like a rock... lock up tight. I do like the Tengo, but do not LOVE it. I guess I loved the M4 Contego but it was far from a perfect knife. Axis is good, but thumbstuds in general are an eyesore these days IMHO. I'd rather a real bearing flipper or spyderco with decent geometry to do many Spydie Hole flicks. Benchmades are OK in my book, but I only have ONE now I think... maybe two if there is a lost Presidio somewhere. That's just me... some people love them obviously. I don't even know how many ZT I have.

If you want a production traditional... cannot beat GEC.

ZT is a no-brainer IMHO. Kind of like Aimpoint PRO... might seem expensive but it is the real perennial bargain in a top quality USA made knife.

Yeah, a Wuhan Civivi like an ORTIS is a nice flipping knife for $50-$105... and you could get Damascus and CF... but it is still a China knife and a lot of them including this one are LINER LOCKS... that's fine too, but liner locks are kind of like thumbstuds these days IMHO. It is not a particularly strong lock and reminds me of Big Five crap that I have had plenty of over the years.

All just my opinions. A ZT Ti framelock is gorgeous.
My 495 Vector is the first knife I've owned since I was a kid and carried those dime store pocket knives. It is a solid well built knife which is what I would expect for $200 (they are $260 now). As I said earlier, it is not used to cut things or open boxes or to pry things loose so I expect it to remain solid and tight for years.
I am not a fan of thumb studs either but I do see them on a lot of knives. I tried a couple at the store and found that the Vector was much easier to open with the tip of my index finger.
I only have the Vector right now but I have a habit of buying things so in the coming weeks I may be posting a picture of a knife I came across and couldn't live without.
Old 09-25-2021, 5:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If I could have a knife I have own in the past that was assisted and had thumb studs... it would be a 0566 - what a great little EDC knife. One I should not have sold. One of the best ZT Hinderer's. Probably the best Kershaw or ZT assisted.
Old 09-25-2021, 6:41 PM
CGN Contributor

If this is about EDC, the 940 is widely regarded as one of the best EDC knives, if not the best.
Old 09-26-2021, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post

Regarding their financial support of (typically more anti-gun) democrats more often than republicans, while it is again disappointing, it again doesn't rise to the level anti-gun all by itself.
It most certainly does rise to the level of anti-gun. We both know that the freedoms and liberties Americans have had since the beginning, are now being compromised and threatened on an entirely new level. All backed and funded by those who wish to be in the “in” crowd of wokism and political correctness. The line has been made. If Benchmade wants to support politicians who do not support the 2A. Fine. So be it. But lets call it for what it is and not say they get some pass because they aren’t directly connected to being anti-2A.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw559 View Post
If this is about EDC, the 940 is widely regarded as one of the best EDC knives, if not the best.
I'm a certified knife nut. I never could warm up to the blade shape on the 940, but my wife has one and likes it. There's a version of that design with a clip point blade called a 943 or 941 for the special edition ones. At one point I think I had five variants of the 941. I'm down to just one which was a 1 of 500 with CF scales and a D2 blade. It's my go to for when I'm wearing lightweight shorts. It's super light and very useful! My wife also has a couple of pink Griptilians and those are her go to EDC knives.

If you like the Axis lock , but would rather not support Benchmade for their well known anti 2A positions, check out the Hogue Deka:

https://www.hogueinc.com/knives/hogu...al-knives/deka

Looks like a nice design. I've been thinking of picking one up if I can find one of the limited edition CF ones.

I would agree that ZT is a step up from Benchmade. I've got an 0609 which is a collab they did with RJ Martin. It's probably my favorite production knife. All Ti construction with a sweet C20V blade that flips like magic. It's a great slicer and slim enough to be comfortable in Khakis. One day I may treat myself to an RJ Martin custom, but haven't yet. He has great designs.

It seems that some folks here have a low opinion of liner locks and frame locks. If you're really worried about cutting yourself while closing a liner lock knife, maybe you shouldn't be playing with sharp objects? As far as those types of locks failing, a properly executed liner or frame lock is about as solid as any other lock. I have many variants from Tom Mayo, Charles Marlowe, Strider Knives, Emerson Knives, Brian Fellhoelter and a slew of others. As part of his testing, Marlowe beats the spine of the blade on his liner locks (spine whack) on a 2x4 hard enough to make indentations in the wood. If the lock slips at all, it doesn't leave his shop. Emerson and Strider both use liner locks or frame locks and are some of the toughest knives on the market.

Speaking of Emerson, if you're looking for a solid company that makes their knives here in the USA with a wide variety of designs, you should check out Emerson. Ernest Emerson is a proud Patriot, 2A supporter and just a good human. His knives are made in his factory in Harbor City, CA. Ernie offers a wide variety of designs in both hand made customs as well as production versions at more affordable prices. I know a lot of LEOs and .mil folks that swear by Emerson knives. Many that count on their knife to do what is needed under tough circumstances. Ernie developed an opening system called the Wave that is patented and is flat out the fastest way to open and deploy a folding knife. A Waved Emerson will be open while you're still fumbling with the button on an auto. Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1tUxkWrfAM

https://www.emersonknives.com/about-us/

If the Emerson price range is out of your budget, Ernie has done some collaborations with Kershaw, so you can get a Chinesium Kershaw with the Wave feature for not a lot of money.

This conversation can go on for days. It's a seriously slippery slope. There is so much variety in pocket knives these days. I started with an old school slip joint when I was a kid. Then graduated to a Buck 110 in high school. It's been a slow evolution over many years and I've dabbled in higher end production knives. I still have knives by Chris Reeve, William Henry, ZT and others, but my focus for the last 15 years or so has been on custom and handmade knives. To me, there's something special about getting a unique tool made by a craftsman. Most of the customs I own these days are pieces that were made by guys I've gotten to know and have developed a relationship with. Most are heirloom grade pieces. Some have appreciated considerably since I bought them. I don't count on a knife to be an investment, but fortunately for me, some of them have turned out that way. It's awesome to buy a knife for a few hundred bucks and later sell it for a couple thousand bucks, even if it doesn't happen every time.

YMMV

Last edited by Excitable Boy; 09-26-2021 at 12:27 PM..
Old 09-26-2021, 12:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I just came across sale on Hogue 34370 EX-03 3.5" blade is 154CM steel on Amazon. About $30 cheaper then usual price, but going fast. Looks like interesting design with button lock.
Old 10-12-2021, 6:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillZone45 View Post
I prefer Half Face Blades myself.
100%

It seems as thought the best is yet to come for Half Face Blades. Incredible quality, creativity, function...and one hell of a story.
Old 10-13-2021, 7:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillZone45 View Post
I prefer Half Face Blades myself.
Where do you score these? Does he do Insta drops or something? Decent looking website with lots of knives all sold out. Where are the folders dropped? Not like Busse, Scrapyard, Swamprat always have stuff in stock, but right now they have more than a dozen for sale including Team Gemini's and Hell Razors which are great blades.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I really like Benchmade’s axis lock. I beat the hell out of 2 Griptillians in 10 years (lost one after 5 years so replaced it with another). Handle and blades got worn out from excessive use and abuse but the axis locks never once had a issue and I trust it 100 percent. Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktank View Post
I really like Benchmade’s axis lock. I beat the hell out of 2 Griptillians in 10 years (lost one after 5 years so replaced it with another). Handle and blades got worn out from excessive use and abuse but the axis locks never once had a issue and I trust it 100 percent. Hope this helps.
If you like Griptillians, but are wearing out the handle slabs, there' s couple guys out there making replacements out of G10 or Aluminum that are a lot more durable. Kevin Wilkins G10 scales improve the overall egos of the Grip to me and being G10 should be super tough.

Last edited by Excitable Boy; 10-13-2021 at 3:54 PM..
Old 10-13-2021, 3:56 PM

I have a Kershaw "Speedsafe" with the tanto blade. Flicks open, locks well, made in the Estados Unidos. $28
Old 10-13-2021, 4:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zettix View Post
I have a Kershaw "Speedsafe" with the tanto blade. Flicks open, locks well, made in the Estados Unidos. $28
Which one is that? I have some BLUR tantos that are ok... nice old design.
Old 10-13-2021, 4:11 PM
Banned

My griptilian knife. Purchased in 2001. I think which is the year they started producing these. Paid about 60 at the PX.

20 years of survival.

I have never sharpened this, and it still held its edge over 20 years. I even wore this on many beach trips in the salt water.

Maybe quality changed over time since the originals like what I have to later griptilians.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by CheapBloke; 10-13-2021 at 4:19 PM..
Old 10-13-2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Which one is that? I have some BLUR tantos that are ok... nice old design.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 Similar to this but mine has a checkered handle. Odd these are $78
Old 10-13-2021, 4:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zettix View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 Similar to this but mine has a checkered handle. Odd these are $78
Oh yeah, that's a 1776 / Link

I have had the FRN (checkered 3D) handle and the flat Aluminum scaled version. Good knife. That's the definition of value in the Kershaw USA line for sure.
Old 10-20-2021, 3:11 PM

My EDC thoughts have changed over the years. I used to be a knife snob, but after loosing some nice knives, I now do this.
1. Expensive knives go into a knife display case my daughter made me and they get out only for special occasions. IE: going to a broadway play, I'll break out the pretty ones.
2. Current EDCs are on the cheaper side price wise, with steel ranging from D2, 8cr/9cr, and some 400 series.

As I was typing this, I realized I have not lost a knife since I started EDC with pocket clips. All lost knives were clipless.
Old 10-20-2021, 3:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boludo12 View Post
My EDC thoughts have changed over the years. I used to be a knife snob, but after loosing some nice knives, I now do this.
1. Expensive knives go into a knife display case my daughter made me

As I was typing this, I realized I have not lost a knife since I started EDC with pocket clips. All lost knives were clipless.
Yeah, I have not lost any expensive knives and I am always carrying what I consider expensive knives. Not customs usually, just quality factory knives. I am pretty aware of clips having strong enough retention with clothes I am wearing. I carry traditionals sometimes and so far none have slipped out of the pocket, but those would be the ones to be lost. Otherwise maybe a clip knife I set down while using it outside and forget about it. I know people who do that often like people who always lose their keys, etc...

I have so many decent knives, it is a dirty shame to use a cheapo with crap fit and finish, wobble, alphabet steel, etc... I do use sub $20 Moras a lot though. I have a Tenacious in the car, but my other backup is a Spyderco Centofante3 which is not a cheapo knife by any means. I have an old Smith and Wesson Big5 knife in a junk drawer and it is painful to use that thing for any chore. I have a lot of cheapo knives that I have broken. They do break easy. I used to have a couple Thermites and Cryo and a few other cheapo Kershaws and I give them away. I just gave away a Natrix I think it was.
HUGE difference between those type $20 knives and a ZT 0452CF or ANY ZT IMHO.
Old 10-20-2021, 4:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Talking about cheapo IMPORT liner locks... the only one I have been impressed with lately is the Civivi ORTIS. That is a wicked little knife. It is slick AF bearings, tight, and light (CF and decent damasteel), perfect detent, under $100

Old 10-20-2021, 4:23 PM

My EDC is a $200 knife but I'm not concerned about losing it. It is for defensive purposes only so it never comes out of my pocket. I never take it out to use as a utility knife so there's no chance of it getting lost or laid down somewhere and forgotten.
Old 10-20-2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
My son-in-law is LASD and he has carried an OTF knife for years. I don't know if he is exempt or if he just carries it anyway.
LE are not exempt-Still a felony to Carry an Auto in CA 2" or greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
Pretty sure LE is the only exemption for "autos" in CA. Autos are legal in CA if blade is less than 2", but no one wants that junk, it's not a knife.
LE not exempt to carry autos over 2"
I have a Microtech Exocet with a 1.9" blade that is a useful knife still.
Old 10-20-2021, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

I rotate through my inventory of knives depending on what I anticipate the day will bring.

However, every knife is just a tool.

Even my $250 plus knives are used, if that is what I am carrying and a knife is needed.

I have reached the age that I don't collect (I still accumulate though ), or keep museum pieces.

I hook up my nephews with my hand me downs now, rather than leave them to them in a will.

Whether it's knives, guns, guitars, etc., I use them responsibly/respectfully,

but I no longer worry about damaging or losing them anymore.

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 10-21-2021, 8:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Using and keeping a daily carried knife sharp is a good skill to have. Even if you cut boxes or tape, or adjust a yard sprinkler, you are using the knife which translates to you being comfortable with the knife.

Beware the man with only one cheap knife. He probably spent all his money on guns.
Old 10-21-2021, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Using and keeping a daily carried knife sharp is a good skill to have. Even if you cut boxes or tape, or adjust a yard sprinkler, you are using the knife which translates to you being comfortable with the knife.

Beware the man with only one cheap knife. He probably spent all his money on guns.
Yep, you got me . I have a safe full of guns and three more ordered but only one (not cheap) EDC knife. I've thought about getting a second knife to keep in the center console in my truck.
Old 10-21-2021, 9:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

benchmade axis lock knives are quick (flip open).
Old 10-21-2021, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
benchmade axis lock knives are quick (flip open).
That was what originally attracted me to the Vector, the fact that I could quickly and easily take out the knife and flip it open with one hand.

Old 10-21-2021, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
If you like Griptillians, but are wearing out the handle slabs, there' s couple guys out there making replacements out of G10 or Aluminum that are a lot more durable. Kevin Wilkins G10 scales improve the overall egos of the Grip to me and being G10 should be super tough.
Thank you, I'll look into this.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONECUTTER View Post
LE are not exempt-Still a felony to Carry an Auto in CA 2" or greater.
When did switchbades become a felony? They had always been a misdemeanor, but I've been out of the game for a long time.
Old 10-21-2021, 1:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

As far as side openers go, ball-bearing flippers are as fast as anything without a super powered spring trying to torque the blade out of your hand.

Now, double-action OTF's are fun for sure - like Wolverine's claws would be fun... even the CA legal money clip style. They are all fidget gadgets though. Most autos have so much side to side play and rattle, misfires, you'd think they were all $50 imports.

There are so many high quality folding knives that are good to go in CA, why lust after autos. Autos are kind of like thumbstuds. Outdated.
Old 11-12-2021, 7:21 PM

I've had quite a few knives, fixed and folding: Cold Steel, Benchmade, ZT, Onion, Stryder, Headhunter Blades, etc.

ZT knives are very high quality, can't go wrong there if the functionality and ergo suit your intended usage, but for the last four years the folder I've carried almost exclusively is the CRKT Ontanashi Noh Ken designed by James Williams. https://www.crkt.com/otanashi-noh-ken.html

Compared to fixed blades, folders suck as defensive tools, but that model CRKT is one of the best folders out there, for that purpose, in its size range (of course I'm not familiar with every option).

Excellent penetration, good cutter, minimal effort to deploy, and an index-finger choil to keep your hand from sliding off the handle and on to the blade when thrusting. The handle is also longer than most, so the butt/punyo can be used for striking and trapping.

And it's on sale at CRKT as I write.

FMA practitioners would probably like it.

While we're on the topic, I recently purchased a Spyderco Street Beat FRN (fixed blade, $115 on the internets) and it's also a great value (the blade has enough thickness to also be used for general purpose tasks). I bought it specifically as a stand-in for my Headhunter Blades Rat when I travel by air to other states (TSA stole one of my Ken Onion folders, so at $115 versus $400, I'd rather risk the Street Beat than the Rat). Also worth a look if it fits your intended usage: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB15BBK/946

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2

Last edited by Stumpfenhammer; 11-15-2021 at 3:45 PM..
Old 11-12-2021, 7:29 PM

ZT or Spyderco, skip B1tchmade.
Old 11-12-2021, 7:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpfenhammer View Post
Compared to fixed blades, folders suck for fighting, but that model CRKT is one of the best folders out there, for that purpose, in its size range (of course I'm not familiar with every option).

While we're on the topic, I recently purchased a Spyderco Street Beat FRN (fixed blade, $115 on the internets) and it's also a great value in a low-vis fighter (the blade has enough thickness to also be used for general purpose tasks). ...stand-in for my Headhunter Blades Rat
I like RATS, but Swamp Rats hahah. I have a Jackmandu that is a great size little blade. It is like a Ratmandu but it is longer IIRC.

Geesh, yeah I would say those Elmore blades look like no nonsense and kind of rough, AUS8... but not at $550. They better not be rough, hahah. Have you ever checked out a SYKCO Regulator or Swamp Rat Taliwhacker LE?

What do you think about the Spyderco fixed blade Ronin?
Old 11-12-2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
I like RATS, but Swamp Rats hahah. I have a Jackmandu that is a great size little blade. It is like a Ratmandu but it is longer IIRC.

Geesh, yeah I would say those Elmore blades look like no nonsense and kind of rough, AUS8... but not at $550. They better not be rough, hahah. Have you ever checked out a SYKCO Regulator or Swamp Rat Taliwhacker LE?

What do you think about the Spyderco fixed blade Ronin?

No hands-on experience with Ronin or Ronin 2, but I prefer the blade geometry on the original. Both versions look to be good cutters, but I like to have the blade tip inline with the center of the handle or as close as possible.

Tali-Whacker LE looks really nice. SYKCO Regulator and the Alpha Dog also look like good tools. I'd probably glue skateboard tape to the outboard side of the handles though, as they look a bit slick.

Regarding Harley Elmore/Headhunter Blades: Yes, they are premium priced and the steel isn’t going to be compelling to metallurgy geeks, but it works well for its intended purpose, the sheath is a good design, he includes a quality trainer, and they have sales a few times a year. Look up Harley Elmore’s martial arts experience — extremely deep, to include Sayoc Kali and a number of other styles, and that experience shows up in his designs. In addition to a Rat I also have a Dirty. “Rough” isn’t quite how I’d describe them. Fit and finish is high level, but they don’t incorporate any design flourishes for decorative/aesthetic purposes. I like the Rat, I love the Dirty.

Check out AMTAC Blades https://amtacblades.com I have their Northman, excellent combo fighting/edc/woods knife. That’s Bill Rapier’s company, and IIRC he spent 14 years at DevGru, all of it during GWOT, is a BJJ blackbelt, and a Sayoc Kali instructor, so he knows more than a little about fighting and woodcraft.

Here's a good place to spend money you would have otherwise wasted on feeding your children, buying a home, etc: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/?gcli...xoCxjoQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Stumpfenhammer; 11-15-2021 at 3:43 PM..
Old 11-13-2021, 9:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpfenhammer View Post
Tali-Whacker LE looks really nice. SYKCO Regulator and the Alpha Dog also look like good tools. I'd probably glue skateboard tape to the outboard side of the handles though, as they look a bit slick.
I never checked out a Alpha Regulator... but I love the Mil ones and the hollow ground ones. They also make smaller versions, the 6.5. I have a flat ground 6.5. The Alpha is a beastly 9.5" blade version in INFI if I recall correctly.

Regulator handles and the Tali-Whackers are rubber handled, RES-C. Very grippy, non-slip.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I never checked out a Alpha Regulator... but I love the Mil ones and the hollow ground ones. They also make smaller versions, the 6.5. I have a flat ground 6.5. The Alpha is a beastly 9.5" blade version in INFI if I recall correctly.

Regulator handles and the Tali-Whackers are rubber handled, RES-C. Very grippy, non-slip.
Very nice.