Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Why is membership at Los Altos Rod and Gun so expensive?

I shoot at LARG pretty often and I asked about their membership fees. Maybe I was spoiled by the Yolo Range, but I was pretty taken aback when I was told "Recently, memberships have been sold in the $10,000.00 to $11,500.00 range."

Why so pricey? Supply and demand?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do you have ownership in the club? Or is it just a membership that allows you to use the facilities?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

To keep the riff-raff out?

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Is that in USD? Or PESOS?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 PM

That seems a bit much...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacaville View Post
To keep the riff-raff out?
Unfortunately, *****holes come in all categories of net worth.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
Do you have ownership in the club? Or is it just a membership that allows you to use the facilities?
Ah I skimmed over this part: "Los Altos Rod and Gun Club is a California mutual benefit nonprofit corporation with 164 members, each owning an equal share in the corporation. Some members move out of the area or pass away and the membership is put up for sale at the price requested by the member or the member's family."

Too rich for my blood regardless.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

But think about all the potential appreciation in your share of the gun club. I wonder how well the members are shielded from thing like liability and hazardous cleanup.
Old 04-28-2012, 2:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Too many people with Caymans and plenty of money to spend.
Old 05-02-2012, 7:38 PM

you become an owner
Old 05-02-2012, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you stand to gain from such a membership/ownership? Do they just split net profits x number of ways or something? It'd be cool to pick the brain of someone actually in this position..
Old 05-03-2012, 8:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Because it's in Los Altos! (smiles)
Old 05-08-2012, 2:19 PM

Wow that's crazy. I'm a member at Paradise up near Chico. $100 first year and $50 a year after that. ($5 a day to shoot for members including targets and what not)
Old 05-08-2012, 2:35 PM

Damn, two and a half years ago I asked about membership cost, it was $6000 to $6500 then. Price has almost doubled. If that trend keeps going two and a half years form now it will be $20000. Might be a good investment.
Old 05-08-2012, 2:50 PM
I’m Ugly and I’m Proud
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

damn why the hell so much!?
Old 05-08-2012, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
damn why the hell so much!?
I spoke to one of the cashiers, you can buy a unlimited range pass ($500?) to shoot during normal business hours. If you are member you get access whenever you want plus other benefits. There's only finite members and they can sell you their membership for 1 dollar or 10k.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
Out of curiosity, what exactly do you stand to gain from such a membership/ownership? Do they just split net profits x number of ways or something? It'd be cool to pick the brain of someone actually in this position..
As a mutual benefit organization they are prohibited from paying dividends.
You should contact the membership committee through the on site management.
Old 05-10-2012, 6:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

To put it simply, you are basically joining a Country Club. You get special privileges and help pay for upkeep with your dues/payment.

It would be great if LARG was like Bushwood.

Can you imagine Bill Murray as the RSO on the 100 yard line?

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 05-10-2012, 6:31 PM
Calguns Addict

It's Los Altos. When people ask why things cost so much in that area they don't understand that many people there are so filthy rich they can't figure out how to spend part of their money. I could tell you some stories that would blow your mind, hundreds of thousands on shoes that will never be worn, buying a house for a few million and keeping it empty so they could put the AC equipment closer to the fence line than was code.

I am not talking about some lawyer who works crazy hours and makes 300k a year, I am talking about rich people. There must be some of those people who are into guns. Now add in the commoners and flatlanders in that area who inherited a 6 million dollar home and make 300 to 500k a year.

Do you think that there will ever be another gun club opening in that area? I am surprised that one has stayed open. It wasn't that long ago that you could hunt or dirt bike in hills close by the club after work. Now some ranch worth 800k on paper as a working ranch sells for 40 million just so we can't use the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 05-10-2012, 6:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
It's Los Altos. When people ask why things cost so much in that area they don't understand that many people there are so filthy rich they can't figure out how to spend part of their money. I could tell you some stories that would blow your mind, hundreds of thousands on shoes that will never be worn, buying a house for a few million and keeping it empty so they could put the AC equipment closer to the fence line than was code.

I am not talking about some lawyer who works crazy hours and makes 300k a year, I am talking about rich people. There must be some of those people who are into guns. Now add in the commoners and flatlanders in that area who inherited a 6 million dollar home and make 300 to 500k a year.

Do you think that there will ever be another gun club opening in that area? I am surprised that one has stayed open. It wasn't that long ago that you could hunt or dirt bike in hills close by the club after work. Now some ranch worth 800k on paper as a working ranch sells for 40 million just so we can't use the land.
It's in Los Gatos, not Los Altos. Regardless, there are more expensive areas than those two here in the bay area, so I guess it could be much worse.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post

I agree, I know of one lady that bought the house next door (Woodside) and bulldozed it so her horse could have more room. There are a hell of a lot more of these people out there in Woodside, Portola Valley, Atherton than people realize. And I'm not talking about the average doctor and lawyer, they are priced out of these areas for the most part.

Personally if I had that kind of money I would buy a ranch on skyline Or the other side of the hill and have my own private range/off road/man fun area.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:36 PM

its technically in Los Gatos, not Los Altos. it is member owned and I do not believe that is for profit, but the cost may have something to do with trying to maintain it as some neighbors would love to shut the place down.

there are other gun clubs in the area, sunnyvale R&G is over by Stevens creek reservoir and there are a couple of indoor ranges in the south bay.
Old 09-22-2012, 2:39 PM
Banned

What's better LARG or Metcalf?

I know that's a vague question but if any of you have experience at both I'd appreciate input.
Old 09-22-2012, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 View Post
What's better LARG or Metcalf?

I know that's a vague question but if any of you have experience at both I'd appreciate input.
I dont shoot the rifle/pistol range at Metcalf often but I do like it better than LARG, and it's cheaper. Plus Metcalf has REAL trap shooting and skeet as well if you like shooting clays.
Old 09-22-2012, 4:52 PM

Default Sunnyvale R&G club is only $300 to join and you get to use their FFL and

use the club off hours after attending a bunch of meeting and a few months.

You also got to work certain number of hours a year.

But club is much smaller and only 100 yd range, etc.

I've been thinking about joining if they'd have me, partly so I can buy hella cheap guns without getting hit with $50 FFL charge for a sub-$200 gun.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
use the club off hours after attending a bunch of meeting and a few months.

You also got to work certain number of hours a year.

But club is much smaller and only 100 yd range, etc.

I've been thinking about joining if they'd have me, partly so I can buy hella cheap guns without getting hit with $50 FFL charge for a sub-$200 gun.
+1 for Sunnyvale. I know a few members and would gladly join if I wasn't so unsure of whether or not I'd be in this state at the first of the year. The facilities are a little smaller, but the members are awesome.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:59 AM

Default Yo Johnnykck you are the next Nostradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnykck View Post
Damn, two and a half years ago I asked about membership cost, it was $6000 to $6500 then. Price has almost doubled. If that trend keeps going two and a half years form now it will be $20000. Might be a good investment.
I remember reading this many years ago, and search was my friend for once. I just heard that the membership's at LARGC have been selling between $20-$30k. So, yes, it would have been a great investment, and you get to shoot for free on non-public days all while tripling your money.

No but seriously, I looked at a GIS parcel map viewer just out of curiosity and it appears that the land LARGC own's alone justifies the underlying membership costs. And cleaning up the land to sell for homes would be free these days, the lead cleanup folks actually pay the ranges! That's because lead is so expensive. But the whole idea of it costing a fortune to cleanup old firing ranges is no longer applicable. And while they can't share profits, I believe non-profit interests can be distributed proceeds under a sale, just like they sell/buy each others memberships. But I'm no accountant.
Old 10-23-2015, 2:48 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Too many people with Caymans and plenty of money to spend.
If you can only afford a Cayman, you don't have plenty of money to spend (unless you are a female).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnykck View Post
Right up to the day that some libtard homeowner succeeds in getting the range shut down.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:47 PM

Visited this range last weekend on the advice of a few members here....wouldnt go back. They treat everyone as if they are idiots and the atmosphere is more like that of a Marine Corps range on qual day. In my opinion this is not the range to go to if you want to 1)relax and not worry about getting a lecture 2)run your guns. That being said, If the range is more lax on member days and they allow you to actually run your guns and do drills, I would consider joining. As one poster said previously though, all it takes is some rich anti gun asshat yelling loud enough to get the range shut down.
Old 11-06-2015, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveonyouroof View Post
Visited this range last weekend on the advice of a few members here....wouldnt go back. They treat everyone as if they are idiots and the atmosphere is more like that of a Marine Corps range on qual day.
are you talking about Los Altos Rod and gun?

One of the primary reasons I go to this range is it is exactly opposite of what you describe. it's the only "major" range i have been to in the area you don't get treated like an idiot until you prove to be one. It is also the most relaxed while not compromising safety, doubly so on week days.

It is the only public range I have ever really felt relaxed at while shooting.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpat View Post
I remember reading this many years ago, and search was my friend for once. I just heard that the membership's at LARGC have been selling between $20-$30k. So, yes, it would have been a great investment, and you get to shoot for free on non-public days all while tripling your money.

No but seriously, I looked at a GIS parcel map viewer just out of curiosity and it appears that the land LARGC own's alone justifies the underlying membership costs. And cleaning up the land to sell for homes would be free these days, the lead cleanup folks actually pay the ranges! That's because lead is so expensive. But the whole idea of it costing a fortune to cleanup old firing ranges is no longer applicable. And while they can't share profits, I believe non-profit interests can be distributed proceeds under a sale, just like they sell/buy each others memberships. But I'm no accountant.
Lead prices are very low right now........market price for clean, probably pure, lead is 77 cents per pound.

If a range has a high enough concentration of lead and the soil is easy to mine, then it can net a profit for the range. If the range only has a small amount of lead, it will not offset the cost to move all the material needed to clean up a range. Some ranges have soil that is easy to mine and some have soil that is a nightmare to move and clean up.

The lead from the range still needs to be smelted to be cleaned up. The copper jackets are worth more money than the lead, if you can find a recycle center that will take them.
Old 12-11-2015, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveonyouroof View Post
Visited this range last weekend on the advice of a few members here....wouldnt go back. They treat everyone as if they are idiots and the atmosphere is more like that of a Marine Corps range on qual day. In my opinion this is not the range to go to if you want to 1)relax and not worry about getting a lecture 2)run your guns. That being said, If the range is more lax on member days and they allow you to actually run your guns and do drills, I would consider joining. As one poster said previously though, all it takes is some rich anti gun asshat yelling loud enough to get the range shut down.
I felt the same way the first time I went to the Los Altos Rod and Gun Club range but after visiting one of the other ranges (indoor) in the area I began to appreciate the rigid rules at Los Altos. I'd have to say it is the safest range I have ever been to. There are so many beginner shooters these days, I'm surprised there aren't more accidents. The strict enforcement of the rules at Los Altos make me feel a little bit safer.
I've been scolded a couple times for not following the rules. The safety officers are actually pretty cool about it if it is the first offense. Break the same rule twice and they aren't so cool. I saw one group get kicked out. I don't know what they did but after watching the way they handled firearms I was glad to see them go.
My favorite place to shoot is the Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club but the limited hours the range is open to non members make it difficult to get to sometimes.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:40 AM

Thumbs up It's 2020 and I'm a member

Hey Gang,

I'm actually one of the 164 full members and part owner of the LARGC and have been for close to 20 years.

I bought my membership back in 2000 when it was in the $5-$6,000 range which seemed like a crazy amount back then. What I enjoy telling people is that I used the money from cashing out the 401k that I had from working for the Time-Warner company when "almost as anti-gun as Bloomberg" CEO Gerald Levin was running the company. I could have spent the cash on more guns or other fun things, but I chose to bid (yes, its a bidding process like an auction) on one of the memberships for sale at the time.

This is not an ongoing process, the Board of Directors of the club only meets a couple times a year to discuss membership changes and transfers. Just to have my bid accepted, I had to interview with several members of the club's Board and be approved as someone they wanted to have as a member. I assume this is to weed out any anti's or other kinds of less than gun friendly types.

I was already an NRA & CRPA Life member as well as an active cowboy action shooter (once or twice per month plus practice) so I was a Life member in SASS as well. I told them the story about where the money was coming from for the membership and they appreciated the poetic justice of it. I was approved to bid, had my bid accepted successfully by the family of the member selling it, and was warmly welcomed at the annual Christmas Dinner.

As a annual dues (its just a maintenance fee) paying member in good standing, I can shoot at the club 7 days a week during regular range hours.

Thursday through Sunday are public days where I can literally drive in, sign my name, and start shooting as I please. I can also bring up to 3 or 4 guests (depending on how comfortable I am with supervising them) and they can shoot free of charge (except for the trap station, everybody pays for that, but members get a discount) for the duration of their visit using whatever guns or ammo brought into the club.

Monday through Wednesday are Member ONLY days and quite honestly its rare to encounter more than one or two other members shooting PLUS you have to self monitor and be your own Range Officer. Otherwise, you have the ENTIRE RANGE to yourself.

The only limit on guns, that I am currently aware of, is everything has to be UNDER .50BMG in power. You're welcome to shoot your .54 or even a .78 cal muzzleloader or a long range rifle one of the bigger cartridges and, I far as I know, no one has brought a pistol that is not allowed.

We also have a couple of member only events on Memorial and Labor Day which include a catered lunch. This is about as "Bushwood" as it gets. It used to be a potluck BBQ with the club providing the Entre portion. I know this because I was the BBQ chef for several years, but then people started bringing way too many guests and we would run out of food, so they switched it to an RSVP only and catered thing for the food portion. You can still just come up and shoot as much as you want on those days.

If you've been there before, you may have noticed one particular range that is fenced off. Its the first one you see as you come down the hill and there are a number of steel targets like a dueling tree, knockdowns, and such there. FULL MEMBERS ONLY are allowed to use that range and not even their guests. It's one of THE strictest rules the club has. You can wear a belt with holsters and pretend you are having your own personal IPSC or SASS match and shoot pistols, rifles, or shotguns on steel as long as you being safe about it.

Aside from that, everything done there is for a reason. Since its technically located in Santa Cruz County, they have to fend off the antis every so often and since the Board has fully turned over in recent years, there is a movement to be more active with regard to "gun rights" issues and activities. Many year's ago the club's Board had a little bit of a bad reputation for being alarmingly silent and neutral on ANY gun issue, but that's changing.

So there you have it. I consider myself more of a regular guy and I'm certainly not any kind of "tech rich" multimillionaire, I was just lucky enough to have a few extra bucks at the right moment and enjoy shooting enough to want to be a part of the club.

By the way, Full Memberships are transferable. You can leave it in your Will to anyone you choose, usually a family member. They have to be approved by the Board, but there's a good change that will happen. There are some memberships on their 2nd or 3rd generation of one family.
Old 04-04-2020, 9:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I know people who buy memberships in country clubs as investments. One bought a membership in the Blackhawk Country Club for $25K while the economy was down, plus he liked to play golf! A couple of years later the economy was on a good come back so he sold it for almost $70K!

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 07-02-2020, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASS15029 View Post
If you may have noticed one particular range that is fenced off. Its the first one you see as you come down the hill and there are a number of steel targets like a dueling tree, knockdowns, and such there. FULL MEMBERS ONLY are allowed to use that range and not even their guests. It's one of THE strictest rules the club has. You can wear a belt with holsters and pretend you are having your own personal IPSC or SASS match and shoot pistols, rifles, or shotguns on steel as long as you being safe about it.
Just wanted to say thanks for writing this up. I have lived in the Bay Area for 20 years and for some reason had never been to LARGC until today. It was awesome. The reservation system was great. I thought it was one lane for 3 hours, but turns out it's 3 hours of time at an open station. I brought all three types of my guns because I wasn't sure what type of lane I was going to get. Glad I did as the 3 hours flew by and I got to shoot all 3 types of my guns.

ROs were very clear and diligent about safety. I overheard (with my amplified electronic headset) them talking amongst themselves, they were observing and discussing trigger and muzzle discipline of new shooters they don't recognize (me included). It's actually very reassuring to know that they are doing this.

Yeah I saw the action range with reactive steel. If members can do that at anytime, that is worth the price of membership. AFAIK the only places in the BA where you can do that is once a month in Sunnyvale and every Saturday in Richmond.
Old 07-02-2020, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

Since you say it's in Santa Cruz County, wouldn't that mean it's not in Los Gatos?

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 07-07-2020, 12:18 PM

How much interest is their in this sort of Members Only California mutual benefit nonprofit corporation with XXX members, each owning an equal share in the corporation, in the Hills south of Livermore, if it were more upscale, Rifle Range with targets at 300/600/850/1000 yards, 2 or 3 pistol ranges with steel reactive targets, the works? A few hundred acres.

Last edited by QuinnBayArea; 07-07-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Old 07-07-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
Since you say it's in Santa Cruz County, wouldn't that mean it's not in Los Gatos?
It's in Los Gatos and in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Beautiful place, excellent range.