Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-01-2021, 5:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Ammo hoarders found their way to GPUs???

holey fracking crap... what used to be a $500 radeon 5700xt is now almost twice as much. $2k gpus? and a nvidea 1080x if 4 figures?

gpu is the last thing i need to finish my build. wonder if i should just dissect our dell xps and temprorarily use the video card there so i can test the parts and make sure all work. it's crazy prices out there from hoarders (forums call them scalpers LOL).

i see normal prices but all out of stock. i checked even bhphoto and put myself on availability email. one internet article says it's trump's tariffs. another youtube says crazy things linking it to bitcoin.

ebay is just as bad but i limited myself only to sellers posting who have enough reviews and sold a few pricey things, i.e. >$500 or more and have good feedback.

i shoudl've nabbed one back in oct/nov. was waiting for bf2020 to buy everything only to find out even cpu was more expensive before bf2020 so i held off. mobo i wanted is more expensive now too so resorted to alternate one (aorus vs. my original asus crosshair hero viii wifi).
Old 02-01-2021, 5:36 PM
Banned

For mining crypto maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2021, 6:33 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
another youtube says crazy things linking it to bitcoin.

Honestly the bitcoin theory makes the most sense. GPUs are used for mining, and bitcoin has never been higher. There could be other supply-chain (Covid related) factors putting pressure on the price, but bitcoin is probably the main driver of the increase.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-01-2021 at 6:35 PM..
Old 02-01-2021, 7:57 PM

I may have a 1070 laying around since upgraded to 1080...
Old 02-01-2021, 8:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bitcoin miners buying 50-100 at a time.
Old 02-01-2021, 8:08 PM
Calguns Addict

GPU's and CPU's, man. I felt fortunate to be able to get my Ryzen CPU's with integrated graphics when I did. Now they're Unobtainium.

Just a sign of the times. Everyone's working from home and thus more people are building PC's. That's one reason I made the post about the Raspberry Pi; those are actually in stock, 'cause people aren't hip to 'em yet. But for x86-64 builds...I suspect that M.2 NVMe SSD's are going to be the next shortage item.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 02-01-2021, 8:13 PM

Gpu shortage is crazy. I was lucky to recently get a 1050ti.. rx580 / 1060gb still fetching $200+. I stopped building a selling because gpus are impossible to come by. Scalpers are scooping them up as well as miners.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Crypto definitely plays a role.
Nvidia even sold a large percentage of their recent RTX3000 series GPUs directly to crypto miners before shipping them to retail stores.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:34 AM

GPU shortage and used market price went up. a RX480 was sold around $100. now is almost back to original new price.

Last edited by xcoreflyup; 02-02-2021 at 9:31 AM..
Old 02-02-2021, 3:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Crazy that even a 5/6 year old, mid level card is in high demand.
Old 02-02-2021, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

The newest round of GPUs came at a bad time. They were released at the height of this ridiculous pandemic. The production capacity wasn't able to meet demand.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 02-02-2021, 8:44 AM
Calguns Addict

The excuse is... more people are told they can no longer work in the office and MUST permanently work at home. Caused a webcam shortage as well.
Old 02-02-2021, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Since crypto-mining took off, GPUs have steadily gone up.
Old 02-02-2021, 9:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

When RONA hit, the world changed- Laptops and devices for kids - demand skyrocketed...

Even auto companies are having part issues as chip makers switched to devices for kids to school at home

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 02-02-2021, 9:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
For mining crypto maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS

Mining crypto has become profitable with Bitcoin at 30k+
Old 02-02-2021, 9:38 AM

Bought my 5600 XT for $280 just 3 months ago

Going to try to snatch a couple of RTX 3060's when they release at the end of this month. Retail is $329. They will sell out faster than PS5's/Xbox's did.
Old 02-02-2021, 9:43 AM

mass mutual dropped 100M into bitcoin in early December. Thats why it is staying above $30K
Old 02-02-2021, 1:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlazito View Post

Going to try to snatch a couple of RTX 3060's when they release at the end of this month. Retail is $329. They will sell out faster than PS5's/Xbox's did.
lol rub it in man! yeha, i had a 5700xt in my parts picker and it was $500'ish. and that was 3 months ago. i should've piece-mealed my parts vs. a big bang. just didn't want to get caught cant exchange/return if something not working and deal with manufacturer for warranty if parts are slow to come in.

guess i may have to yank out in the 3 yr old desktop a 975m or something like that from the dell machine.
Old 02-06-2021, 3:06 AM

Well you have a **** load of people stuck at home, kids out of school, college students and others. Lots of free money coming in. So playing lots of games. Lots of people upgrading their old rigs or building their first. Also games like Cyberpunk just came out with massive hype and require a damn good card to play, so you have the higher demand. Then word gets out about the higher demand then you have opportunistic people buying up all they can to resale at a massive mark-up. some of it is actual demand and much of it is hoarders trying to make a profit. I do not think the current demand is crypto mining related. Hell, I am building a very nice new rig, got everything for it except a new video card. I am not going to pay scalper prices so will just be throwing my old card in it until the stock comes back and prices go back to suggested retail in hopefully no more than a few months.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 02-06-2021, 7:27 AM
Veteran Member

Obviously now is not a good time to have a PC built; unfortunately my machine may not survive a few more months.

If I don't show up one day here, one of the two of us has croaked, me or the machine.

Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 02-06-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Bitcoin miners buying 50-100 at a time.
Wait until they find out they're paying more in energy costs than they're making by mining bitcoin. Anybody starting to mine now is waaaaaaaaay late to the party.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
Wait until they find out they're paying more in energy costs than they're making by mining bitcoin. Anybody starting to mine now is waaaaaaaaay late to the party.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Miners are using small to medium sized warehouses with all solar power.
Old 02-06-2021, 7:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Pretty sure no one running 20 or 24 GPU’s is paying +$2000 a month for power.

Back when they might have been losing money to their power bill they were mining 4-5 times more in today’s BTC value... so they should have just kept mining. I bet no one spent $40,000 a year for residential power back then either hahahah. Maybe plus $300 on a bill.
Solar.
Old 02-06-2021, 9:25 PM

Good thing i was able to get a 3080 at retail.
Old 02-06-2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaglipay View Post
Good thing i was able to get a 3080 at retail.
How did you manage that, I am looking for a 3080

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 02-07-2021, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
How did you manage that, I am looking for a 3080
I got lucky. Best buy website restock their inventory Wed and Friday. I happened to be browsing and one pop up in stock.
Old 02-07-2021, 2:39 AM

Quote:
I got lucky. Best buy website restock their inventory Wed and Friday. I happened to be browsing and one pop up in stock.

What model of 3080 did you get and what did it set you back after shipping and taxes?

Old 02-07-2021, 7:39 PM

Low production and botters taking advantage of the situation to flip products for double to triple retail.
Old 02-07-2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
What model of 3080 did you get and what did it set you back after shipping and taxes?
I bought the msi Aventus. It was the exact model/brand I was looking for. It matched my msi motherboard. It was $800 plus tax. I did store pick up
Old 02-08-2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I bought the msi Aventus. It was the exact model/brand I was looking for. It matched my msi motherboard. It was $800 plus tax. I did store pick up
Components for a computer are very expensive now. It seems to me that this rise in prices is due to the pandemic and quarantine. Because for some time the workers were at home, the production was at a standstill, there was a shortage of components, and this is an excellent reason for the rise in prices. In general, 2020-2021 is not the best time to buy new equipment.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Burton View Post
Components for a computer are very expensive now. It seems to me that this rise in prices is due to the pandemic and quarantine. Because for some time the workers were at home, the production was at a standstill, there was a shortage of components, and this is an excellent reason for the rise in prices. In general, 2020-2021 is not the best time to buy new equipment.
I agree to some of your points. The 3000 series gpu is a huge upgrade from the 2000 series. My 3080 is better than the 2080ti at half the price. Nvidia is the main cause of the shortage and the ridiculous prices. They allowed scalpers using bots to buy unlimited amounts of gpu. My $800 gpu were being sold on eBay for 2x or 3x the price. Nvidia only started cracking down on the bots when actual pc enthusiasts complained on social media.
Old 02-08-2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Burton View Post
Just read an article on this subject, It is a bunch of factors all coming together for a perfect storm or "out of stock"

1. Crypto miners getting bussy.
2. People out of work/school building or upgrading rigs.
3. Cyperpunk 2077, Yes a lot of people decided to and are trying to upgrade to a super card just to run that game.
4. Covid causing a slowdown in production in not just the factories where they make the cards but where raw materials are gathered/produced.
5. ^ seems to be a shortage of raw materials needed in building the components for the cards, harder and takes longer to get stuff just to start or continue production.
6. They mention it might get worse before it gets better as much of the production of the cards and the raw materials is done in China, and the Chinese new year about to kick off, they mentioned many factories going to be shut down for as long as 2 weeks just for that.
7. Scalpers, people buying up multiple cards to turn around and sell on ebay for a huge profit. Many online retailers are trying to catch these orders and canceling the orders and refunding preorders to those they suspect of doing so.

The supply will come back eventually, I just finished my new rig this morning, Very good components, and is running great but had do put my old graphics card in it from my 10 year old build for now till I can get my hands on a new card.

PC components are very expensive but I think it is worth it if it will be capable if running all the programs I like to play with, Inventor, After effects and the like and game the latest games for the next 5 years or better. My last rig has been great for 10 years, Even in recent games. Cyberpunk 2077 is the first game I could not run on it.

Old 02-09-2021, 5:43 AM

Well Elon Musk just went hard into Bitcoin recently. So, more people will want to mine away. Heck, on news radio they mentioned that some auto makers are having to stop production because they are running out of cpu from their suppliers due to more customers buying personal electronic devices while stuck at home from the lock down.

"Tesla buys $1.5 billion in bitcoin: as Elon Musk jumps on board with cryptocurrency"

No Agenda Podcast - Obedience is best.
Old 02-09-2021, 9:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
The excuse is... more people are told they can no longer work in the office and MUST permanently work at home. Caused a webcam shortage as well.
I can tell you the web cam thing is real... absolutely no Logitech in the normal channels.

I ordered a few direct from Logitech and waited weeks till they shipped. That's a good way to go though.

People do not need a RTX 3080 or a 24 gigabyte 3090 to work remotely though, hahah. Unless they work on Twitch. Elon knows.
Old 02-09-2021, 3:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What happens when the bitcoin that was reserved for miners gets used up?
Old 02-09-2021, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
MSI is a great brand for video cards. They perform a lot better than something like a Gigabyte, IMHO.
Old 02-09-2021, 5:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
What happens when the bitcoin that was reserved for miners gets used up?
I doubt everyone mining now will be mining in a hundred years (last bitcoin will be mined in 2140), but the bitcoins in circulation will definitely be worth something unimaginable because they are limited... just like our handgun roster. They can always add more coins and I bet they would do that since all of them are not in circulation anyway. Not sure how all that works in reality... not like you can add gold to the earth... but this is virtual. We are in a simulation. Miners will also make profits simply by keeping the network running via transactions and hash power after the last coins were mined theoretically. RTX 3090's certainly are not going to be fast enough to keep up for very long... but they will be paid off in a few months. Plus, many people are only mining Ethereum or quite a few other options right now. I am not mining BTC. Plenty of time till the next halving... (Fourth Bitcoin halving: estimated to happen in 2024 - reward 6.25 BTC to 3.125 BTC)... seems to have worked out ok so far. Mining in 2012, they never thought he BTC would be worth 47k each or they would not have placed 8 million dollar pizza orders and the like. Those 3.125 BTC will probably be worth 3 million $$$.

Last edited by crufflers; 02-09-2021 at 10:45 PM..
Old 02-09-2021, 5:48 PM
Peddler/ vagabond
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlazito View Post

Bruv you have to help aanother cal bruv get one.
Serious talk
Old 02-09-2021, 6:06 PM
Calguns Addict

https://youtu.be/-IusirEOOh4
Old 02-23-2021, 8:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Anyone have any sources for RTX 3060, 3080 ?