Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-08-2013, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Chicago and The Artist Formerly Known as LCAV - http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/moo...2013-01-08.pdf
My that's princely of you :-) That kind of politeness went out about, oh, 1999 ...

I'll leave now. Keep your tomatoes and eggs for the next clown, please.
Old 01-08-2013, 8:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
Priceless. Childish too .
I really do not get their new name. Was it an admission that they're not really against all violence, just gun violence?

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 01-08-2013, 8:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I really do not get their new name. Was it an admission that they're not really against all violence, just gun violence?

-Gene
"Gun" is an emotional word well suited for emotional agendas. "Law Center" suggests institutionalization over "Legal Community."

I'd just call it "coming out of closet."
Old 01-09-2013, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've just posted the two anti-gun amicus briefs to the en-banc petition:

Brady - http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/moo...2013-01-08.pdf
Chicago and The Artist Formerly Known as LCAV - http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/moo...2013-01-08.pdf

VERY good.

The Raisuli

WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85
Old 01-09-2013, 9:07 AM

God I am so SICK & TIRED of irrational, immature, emotionally retarded people seeking to prohibit guns because they are afraid of them, trying to use the cover of 'public safety' and 'for the children' to do so. Is "...shall not be infringed" really that difficult of a concept? The second brief left me with the impression that the Amici were arguing that allowing open carry would make the police's job a little more difficult and cause a change in tactics, and therefore shouldn't be allowed. Both briefs discussed that they felt that the court was essentially an activist in the Moore v Madigan decision, attempting to make policy when the legislature should be making policy, but apparently missed the part where the court sent the damn thing BACK to the Illinois state legislature to create a policy that passes muster.

These people make me sick. Absolutely disgusting, pathetic excuses for human beings. "As sheep, we are so afraid of the wolves, that we think even our shepherds and sheep-dogs should be dis-armed. We know criminals will still have guns, but it's better to be a victim of gun violence than to perpetrate gun violence in self-defense." Freaking cowards.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-Mark Twain
"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."-Lord Acton
Old 01-09-2013, 2:07 PM

The 7th has requested an answer from Gura according to a poster over at The Firing Line. I haven't found a link to confirm yet, but here is a link to that thread.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...451189&page=15
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 01-09-2013, 2:33 PM

I'm not a member over at The Firing Line. What are they asking for an answer about? Pardon my ignorance if it's already been answered.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-Mark Twain
Old 01-09-2013, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Petition for En Banc was filed and the courts are awaiting a response on the En Banc petition from SAF/Gura.....Why they should or shouldn't grant the request(I would assume).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 01-09-2013, 2:55 PM

Coded Dude, that is exactly correct.

The court had 14 days to request an answer. This was extremely fast. Once Gura makes his answer (due on 23 Jan), the court has 14 days to call for a vote. If no vote is called or the vote goes against Madigan, then no rehearing.

The clock to file cert at SCOTUS is currently still ticking.

Gura (as you may already know) filed for cert on the Kachalsky case yesterday. If things go in an orderly manner, we may know if cert is granted before this session recesses. It's a good case, but it's still a crap shoot.

In Moore, if Madigan loses the rehearing pitch, she won't being losing anything if she files for cert. I suspect that if this happens, the Court will hold Kachalsky and grant cert on Moore. This is based on the fact that Heller and McDonald were complete bans, as is Moore.

One can also hope that during the interim, Woollard is decided (and in our favor), and this will pretty much guarantee the Court will take one of these cases.

Lots of different ways this can fall out and we can only speculate at best.

Last edited by Al Norris; 01-20-2013 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: noticed typo
Old 01-09-2013, 3:03 PM

One would also hope that Richards would also be decided in our favor (though certainly not optimistic...it IS the 9th Circus after all.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

-Gene
Next change will be from LCPGV to just LCPG.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 01-23-2013, 6:47 PM

Today was the day that both Shepard and Moore were to respond to the circuits request, re: en banc hearing.

Earlier this afternoon, the attorney for Shepard, Charles Cooper, filed his response in opposition.

While the response is overall pretty good, Mr. Cooper has taken the liberty of undermining Alan Gura's argument in Kachalsky by claiming that there is no circuit split. sigh.

As of this post, Gura has yet to file a response for Moore. After reading Cooper's brief, I suspect Gura is rewriting.

Last edited by Al Norris; 08-30-2013 at 6:16 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 7:22 PM

Gura's co-counsel filed. I can't upload it from my iPhone, but will post in a few mins.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 01-23-2013, 7:27 PM

Brief attached...

Last edited by fizux; 11-08-2013 at 5:33 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 7:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Thank you Al & fizux for your timely updates. Interesting reading.
Old 01-23-2013, 8:26 PM

As far as inebriated speed reads let me comprehend:

Cooper's response was well written, less the dissenting opinion of the circuit split.

Gura, as always, frickin' nailed it.

Now we wait 14 days for the decision - two weeks!

Or maybe it was 28 days, I'm not sure ...

That should cover it.

Thanks Al and fizux!

Last edited by live2suck; 01-23-2013 at 8:29 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 9:29 PM

Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Publicly available archive quality URLs here:

Moore/SAF/Gura - http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/moo...c-20130123.pdf
Shepard/ISRA/Cooper - http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/moo...c-20130123.pdf

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 01-24-2013, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Man I don't know how to explain it, but I love reading SAF/Gura briefs....they are awesome!

Quote:
If every constitutional case is merely an invitation to deferentially
review the reasonableness of legislative decisions, the Constitution is
pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
What Illinois might or might not “prove” about the wisdom of the right to bear arms has no bearing on its existence. Triers of fact do not determine whether the government may establish religion, censor speech, prohibit contraceptives and abortion—or ban bearing arms.
^^ Truth and poetry!

Old 02-06-2013, 4:53 PM
Libertatem Vivit Hic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
For amusement, I've played with estimating the administrative overhead for this.

Assume 3% of 28 million; that gives a nice number of 840,000.

Guess that each app review and approval takes a whole hour of staff time. Assume that the offices will not devote more (or less) than 8 hours per day, 5 days per week to this task.

That's 105,000 staff-days, or 525 FTE across the state (and we know the heavier burdens would fall on the more populous counties and cities).

An LA County Sheriffs Deputy gets a minimum of $4,702/month. A number of issuing agencies seem to believe that's the right/minimum level of staff to review LTC apps. 3% of LA's 7.5 million LTC-eligible is 225,000. That would be 140 FTE deputies devoted to nothing but LTC apps, every year, now until forever; wikipedia says there are nominally 9100 sworn members of LASO, so they would need about a 1.5% staff increase to use roughly $8 million dollars per year in staff time. (Benefits and other overhead not included here. Rule of thumb: salary * 1.5 to get salary + benefits for gov't employees. Overhead hard to guess, but can be as much as 1.3 * salary in what I've read.)

The answer is likely to be simplified process, a shorter process, and review by less-expensive staff -- if review is required at all in ordinary cases.

Then I will feel my taxes are finally being used properly for something I believe in. Someday Baca will be made to issue and it will cost him and the county.

Disclaimer:
Any posts by me are intended to be for informational purposes only and are not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is formed.
Old 02-06-2013, 5:47 PM
Calguns Addict

My understanding is that the 7th Circuit panel had until 2 days ago to ask for a vote on whether or not to grant the en banc request. Do we know if that happened? If so, by what time must the vote take place?
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 02-07-2013, 5:43 AM

No news as of yet, but yesterday was the supposed deadline to call for a vote.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...451189&page=16
Old 02-10-2013, 3:58 AM

Any updates anyone? I can't find anything.
Old 02-10-2013, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

No news means that a Judge has called for a vote and the voting will be complete by Friday this week.

-Gray
Old 02-10-2013, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Here's to hoping they don't take the case and let the decision stand.
Old 02-10-2013, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
Here's to hoping they don't take the case and let the decision stand.
The math doesn't look good for the state. Judge Posner is well respected in the 7th Circuit. We can assume that Judge Williams (the 1 dissenting judge) called for a vote. They need 6. Posner & Flaum are definite no's. Easterbrook is a no, and the two majority Ezell judges (Sykes & Kanne) would likely vote no. There are only 10 active judges on the court so....
Old 02-10-2013, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
The math doesn't look good for the state. Judge Posner is well respected in the 7th Circuit. We can assume that Judge Williams (the 1 dissenting judge) called for a vote. They need 6. Posner & Flaum are definite no's. Easterbrook is a no, and the two majority Ezell judges (Sykes & Kanne) would likely vote no. There are only 10 active judges on the court so....
Not only that, but the judges that are likely to vote "no" also know what is at stake if this decision is taken en banc. That will serve to reinforce their "no" vote. I expect that will turn the two majority Ezell judges' votes into certain "no" votes.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 02-10-2013, 6:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thanks for the analysis, Gray.

Looks like it is highly unlikely to go en banc -- that means one less time consuming detour enroute to SCOTUS. Assuming that is true, IIRC, either March 12 or 14 will be the next key date, the deadline for IL to request cert.

If we win carry at SCOTUS, that's when all this theoretical ground work has a practical benefit for MILLIONS of law-abiding yet defenseless Americans. Don't expect the antis to "go quietly into the night."

Last edited by Paladin; 02-10-2013 at 6:59 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

Looks like it is highly unlikely to go en banc -- that means one less time consuming detour enroute to SCOTUS. Assuming that is true, IIRC, either March 12 or 14 will be the next key date, the deadline for IL to request cert.

If we win carry at SCOTUS, that's when all this theoretical ground work has a practical benefit for MILLIONS of law-abiding yet defenseless Americans. Don't expect the antis to "go quietly into the night."

I will be interested to see how SCOTUS responds especially considering the 2nd circuits challenge to SCOTUS..... when this plays out I'd love to see them agree with the 7th circuit and issue a harsh rebute to the 2nd circuit in the ruling one writen by justice thomas that clearifies to the 2nd circuit and others that 2nd ammendment challenges must be reviewed using a level above strict scrutiny or at least address some level of guidance for review. And then they probably will reitterate like they always do that government regulation is acceptible followed by a restatement of "like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose........ followed with a closing statement that says access can not be arbitrarily denied without giving a path to access the right....... something like that .... fill in the blanks this could be interesting

Last edited by ddestruel; 02-11-2013 at 6:15 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 7:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

No, it's 90 days from the denial of en banc, though the 180 day time period for passing concealed carry is still ticking down.

Even if they cert petition now, it would take at least 4-5 months to even get SCOTUS consider cert. It would be late June before they'd take it for next term. June 9th is the day the 180 day period expires and the district court starts entering the preliminary injunctions against the state statutes. The state *might* make a motion to the 7th Circuit panel to stop the 180 clock, however I do not believe Judges Posner and Flaum (they would retain jurisdiction over the filings in the 7th) would approve that due to the fact that the state could have cert petitioned right after their loss on December 11th and they wouldn't do it, they chose to act cute and do the en banc route.

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 02-10-2013 at 7:59 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 3:00 AM

Thanks for the reply and outstanding posts here Gray.

So what can we extrapolate from the Illinois decision to "act cute" and request an en banc hearing before the 7th Circuit? Is this simply a desperate delaying tactic?

If the en banc request was a delaying tactic, it does not look like a smart move by Illinois since they don't have the votes for en banc in the 7th and the net reult will be a delay in requesting cert from SCOTUS and the implementation of SHALL ISSUE in IL!!
Old 02-11-2013, 3:14 AM

Default From the Chicago Amicus.....

"The City of Chicago faces a serious problem of firearms violence. In 2011, 83.4% of Chicago’s 433 murder victims were shot, and 82.4% of those murders occurred outside the home."

Well gee whiz.....So I wonder why we need our RKBA in Illinois? Is not our right and need to "bear" arms more acute outside the home...especially in Chicago!
Old 02-11-2013, 3:22 AM

Are there any residual ramifications for CA because of the IL decision?
Old 02-11-2013, 5:19 AM

Quote:
The state *might* make a motion to the 7th Circuit panel to stop the 180 clock, however I do not believe Judges Posner and Flaum (they would retain jurisdiction over the filings in the 7th) would approve that due to the fact that the state could have cert petitioned right after their loss on December 11th and they wouldn't do it, they chose to act cute and do the en banc route.
In addition I would also say that the 180 day stay was put in place, as a courtesy, to allow the legislature the time needed to pass a proper carry law. Asking for a continence at this stage of the game would be an act of bad faith, on the part of the State.
Old 02-11-2013, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Norris View Post
In addition I would also say that the 180 day stay was put in place, as a courtesy, to allow the legislature the time needed to pass a proper carry law. Asking for a continence at this stage of the game would be an act of bad faith, on the part of the State.
We know they are acting in bad faith. Everybody knows that.
The text and meaning of the Constitution was clear for centuries, and they
acted in bad faith. There was a warning order issued in the Heller decision
and they continued. McDonald was a rather direct warning, but they
thumbed their noses. They lost in the case at hand and they gave the
court the finger.

The state is a oppressive malignant actor here, not a passive bumbling
idiot.
Old 02-11-2013, 8:09 AM

All the more reason to stay armed. The promise of "we'll protect you" is more empty than before, and if it suits the needs of the state, it won't protect you at all.

The streets in affluent parts of Lost Angles are taken care of, mostly. In South Lost Angles, not so much, but those people are a solid voting bloc and also have no money to buy influence. The same thing will happen with allocating police resources even more than it already has.
Old 02-11-2013, 9:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No, it's 90 days from the denial of en banc, though the 180 day time period for passing concealed carry is still ticking down.

Even if they cert petition now, it would take at least 4-5 months to even get SCOTUS consider cert. It would be late June before they'd take it for next term. June 9th is the day the 180 day period expires and the district court starts entering the preliminary injunctions against the state statutes. The state *might* make a motion to the 7th Circuit panel to stop the 180 clock, however I do not believe Judges Posner and Flaum (they would retain jurisdiction over the filings in the 7th) would approve that due to the fact that the state could have cert petitioned right after their loss on December 11th and they wouldn't do it, they chose to act cute and do the en banc route.
Thanks for your analysis.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 02-12-2013, 7:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafreak View Post
Are there any residual ramifications for CA because of the IL decision?
This decision both cabins the 9th Circuit's choices of ways to rule in that certain decisions would widen the circuit split. More importantly though, it also gives air cover to the panel in Richards to take Heller and McDonald seriously and hand us a victory here.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 02-12-2013, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

Default Vermont carry in Illonis by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Norris View Post
If they don't pass a acceptable CCW bill for the court, the court just might say fine.

If someone is a law abiding citizen, they can carry period.

This could get very interesting because when crime doesn't skyrocket, when the steets are running red with the blood of criminals who didn't follow the case and got blasted by armed victims, the Chicago machine will have a panic.

If after a period of say 9 to 12 months that crime is not skyrocketing, they will have trouble passing any kind of permit system.

The Chicago Machine will be split, support a very liberally issued CCW system or have no system at all.

This could be very entertaining, especially if this happens soon and we have a 6 to 9 month track record of Vermont Style carry in Illonis prior to the SOCTUS hearing a CCW case.

Nicki

Nicki