Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > 209 Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2014, 1:36 PM

Default Shooting near new hogan lake

Friend was telling me of a place he goes shooting on the south side of new hogan lake. He said people shoot hand guns rifles and shot guns. But when I look up the hunting rules it says bow and shotgun only so wasn't sure if anyone was familiar with it.

Here is how he describes how to get there:

Highway 26 east to silver rapids road, then turn right at the rock quarry... The n about five miles out u will see a small hill top with lots of car tracks
Old 09-11-2014, 2:19 PM
In Memoriam

This time of year is not the best to be shooting in the woods and fields with the severe drought.
Stay in the gravel pits, or on the range.
Old 09-11-2014, 3:39 PM

They did a controlled burn about 3 weeks ago the whole place is black
Old 09-11-2014, 5:44 PM

Is there a fence right next to where you're shooting on the left..?? And also is that dead pig still laying there..?? If that's the same spot, it's a pretty good spot to shoot, went out there couple weeks ago.. But man.. It was too HOT.. Lol
Old 09-11-2014, 7:42 PM

I haven't been out there it is a coworker who doesn't necessarily follow ca laws so I don't shoot with him
Old 09-15-2014, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOUNN View Post
Is there a fence right next to where you're shooting on the left..?? And also is that dead pig still laying there..?? If that's the same spot, it's a pretty good spot to shoot, went out there couple weeks ago.. But man.. It was too HOT.. Lol
Domestic or feral? PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 09-18-2014, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

A coworker told me of this place too. I havent been out there yet though. How far does this place provide for shooting distances?

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 09-21-2014, 1:11 PM

Well I really don't know if it's really a dead pig.. Lol I HEARD it was.. But it really has a foul smell haha.. And for distance wise.. Not to sure.. But we were shooting down hill..
Old 10-03-2014, 8:16 PM
CGN Contributor

I went up to Jamestown a couple of weeks ago and did some shooting. I received a bunch of BLM land maps from the US Department of the Interior - BLM, which shows all of the BLM lands near our area. It does appear that the Jamestown area is the closest BLM land to Stockton.
Old 10-10-2014, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker57 View Post
I went up to Jamestown a couple of weeks ago and did some shooting. I received a bunch of BLM land maps from the US Department of the Interior - BLM, which shows all of the BLM lands near our area. It does appear that the Jamestown area is the closest BLM land to Stockton.

Did u purchase the blm maps?

Old 10-16-2014, 4:39 PM
CGN Contributor

Default BLM Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by m98 View Post
Did u purchase the blm maps?
Yes. I called the BLM office, as indicated on their website, and ordered four maps near the Stockton area. They are $4 each but well worth it to determine BLM lands to shoot on.

Last edited by backpacker57; 10-16-2014 at 4:44 PM..
Old 10-16-2014, 5:49 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot95758 View Post
Friend was telling me of a place he goes shooting on the south side of new hogan lake. He said people shoot hand guns rifles and shot guns. But when I look up the hunting rules it says bow and shotgun only so wasn't sure if anyone was familiar with it.

Here is how he describes how to get there:

Highway 26 east to silver rapids road, then turn right at the rock quarry... The n about five miles out u will see a small hill top with lots of car tracks
There is no area west of New Hogan that is BLM land. Almost all of the land directly surrounding New Hogan is Department of Defense land (Military Reservation or Corp of Engineers). There are several patches of BLM lands on the east side of New Hogan.

I traced the road you described and there is a possibility you are on BLM land if you are directly between the two bodies of water that fork off at the southern side of the lake. There is a patch there off of Hogan Dam Road. It is directly south of the lake, literally in the middle the fork.
Old 10-19-2014, 8:19 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes. I called the BLM office, as indicated on their website, and ordered four maps near the Stockton area. They are $4 each but well worth it to determine BLM lands to shoot on.
hi, could you tell me the names of these 4 maps?
thanks!
Old 10-23-2014, 5:57 PM
CGN Contributor

Stockton - which virtually shows no BLM lands within that area
Lodi - covers between Stockton to Sacramento. Virtually no BLM lands.
Oakdale - lots of BLM lands, especially in Tuolumne County
San Andreas - covers New Hogan Lake and Calaveras, Amador, Tuolumne Counties - Lots of BLM lands.

I love these maps for also identifying US Forest lands, etc.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:06 AM

I was told last weekend it was closed. Due to the corpse and people comming and leaving behind all of their trash. That's what my uncle told me. I have not confirmed it yet tho.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:00 AM

I just heard the same thing, but I have not confirmed it yet either. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 11-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Ya folks ruined it. Good job not picking up the trash... Slobs.
Old 11-22-2014, 7:12 PM

That is sad, I really liked shooting there with my son.
Old 12-08-2014, 9:38 AM

To be clear, all BLM land is off limits for shooting now?
Old 12-23-2014, 9:40 AM

Default Calaveras

Quote:
I am in Copperopolis area. Would love to know where I can shoot near this area.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:51 PM

Check the BLM field office website that covers this area. They post closures. I always do this before heading out and print a copy with the current time/date on the printout. That way if stopped by F&G or any LEO and told I cannot shoot, I politely dialogue and ask why and show that it is BLM land and that there is no posted closure. I take the NF/BLM thread PDF and Assault Weapon flow chart papers with me as well.

I am pretty sure the Mother Lode covers areas east of Stockton, but you must verify it is BLM land as well.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folso...trictions.html

Last edited by Jason95357; 12-27-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Old 12-27-2014, 7:01 PM
CGN Contributor

Default BLM Lands Around New Melones Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbeav View Post
I am in Copperopolis area. Would love to know where I can shoot near this area.
The map shows the BLM lands in the area. Your best bet is probably the established area at the end of French Flat Road in Jamestown. See arrow on map.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qhr2zp]
Old 12-27-2014, 7:05 PM
CGN Contributor

Directions:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/9014....9739621?hl=en
Old 12-27-2014, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

If you guys do get to go there, take some pics if u can. I would like to see what the area looks like and also see how far can one safely shoot out to.

Old 12-29-2014, 6:00 PM
CGN Contributor

Some photos I took when I went on 9-21-14:

This is the gate you go through once you park at the dead end.

This is the area to the right of the gate right after you enter. Some idiots don't clean up after themselves.

Again, another area where idiots are not cleaning up after themselves.

Same theme. We must pick up or they shut these places down.

In the end, I found this pallet leaning against a dead/downed tree, so I used it.

One of the great things about shooting on BLM lands is you can shoot from retention and of course no fees. I truly believe in cleaning up after myself and even after the idiots who leave their mess. I may try to organize an outing there as the weather gets better.

Last edited by backpacker57; 12-29-2014 at 6:03 PM..
Old 12-29-2014, 7:40 PM

I would interested in a shoot and clean-up in the near future.
Old 12-30-2014, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakbriang View Post
I would interested in a shoot and clean-up in the near future.
I'd be in for a shoot / clean up. Have a pickup truck I'd be willing to load up with trash and run to the dump. Just has to be on a day off.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:22 AM

I live real close to Hogan dam rd. I've been all the way to the end of the road (where it dead ends onto private property near as I can tell). There is only one place I've found thats public land and accessible from the road and the signs say the only shooting allowed is for licensed hunters with shotgun only. (there is a federal owned vault toilet and gravel parking lot at the spot I'm talking about)
I have never seen the area pictured above in Backpacker57's post, are we talking about the same area here?
I am definitely down for a cleanup, I have truck and trailers and as Calaveras County resident I can dump for free (dump is not far). So if someone wants to honcho this and get it scheduled, I'm in.

In other news...
People have been shooting all day every weekend lately near one of public access points to the river, while technically speaking I guess it's legal, it's royally pissing off some of my neighbors who are BATS (Bay Area Transplants) who's homes back up to the river (Calaveras). And I'm sure they're calling the Sheriff and whining about it, so be prepared for possible LEO contact (unlikely,IMO) but possible, And NO, I'm not gonna divulge any of the public access trails to the river that go through my and other's private property to the river though, sorry .
Old 01-28-2015, 11:49 AM

I've never shot anywhere near Hogan, but my folks have a place up near Arnold CA and I go shooting up there quite a bit. Theres one place called Candy Rock Quarry thats a known shooting location. I believe its right above Murphy's. I think you can shoot there anytime besides Sundays. I tend to stay away from there since its a known shooting place. I'd rather not deal with other shooters. Plus I've heard many stories that BLM officers and Rangers frequent the location. I don't have anything to hide, but I also don't want to be sitting for 2-3 hours while they run all mine and everyone else's stuff to come back cleared. I'd rather just avoid it all together.

I haven't shot there myself. I tend to go a little above Dorrington on the Forest Route Trails. Theres a few spots off Forest Route 6N58 and 6N59. Every time I go there tho theres a fair amount of trash left behind from other less responsible shooters. I tend to bring 2-3 black trash bags home with me full of crap others left behind. If you guys plan on going there I'm sure we would all appreciate you do the same!

Sacramento Black Rifle.

Last edited by MoltoMario; 01-28-2015 at 11:58 AM..
Old 01-28-2015, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltoMario View Post
I've never shot anywhere near Hogan, but my folks have a place up near Arnold CA and I go shooting up there quite a bit. Theres one place called Candy Rock Quarry thats a known shooting location. I believe its right above Murphy's. I think you can shoot there anytime besides Sundays. I tend to stay away from there since its a known shooting place. I'd rather not deal with other shooters. Plus I've heard many stories that BLM officers and Rangers frequent the location. I don't have anything to hide, but I also don't want to be sitting for 2-3 hours while they run all mine and everyone else's stuff to come back cleared. I'd rather just avoid it all together.

I haven't shot there myself. I tend to go a little above Dorrington on the Forest Route Trails. Theres a few spots off Forest Route 6N58 and 6N59. Every time I go there tho theres a fair amount of trash left behind from other less responsible shooters. I tend to bring 2-3 black trash bags home with me full of crap others left behind. If you guys plan on going there I'm sure we would all appreciate you do the same!
The gate just below theCandy rock range is closed for winter (it's part of some BS compromise with the BATS and the FS, but you can still hike up there on foot. And you are correct, it's closed on Sundays. To get to Candy Rock take Highway 4 to "Hunter Dam Road" turn right, go about 1/4 mile and you will see a Forest road 4n03 on the right. 4N03 turns into Candy Rock Rd. at some point, take that about a mile and you should see a gate on the left (closed in winter) you can park there and carry your stuff 200 yds up the hill to the range. Its just before Avery. Take Hunter Dam road (unpaved, but graded for 2wd) about 2 miles

A google search will bring up the Forest Service order governing the rules and operation hours for the site.

There's a couple anti gunners there who relish video taping any malfeasance they can document up there, please dont give them any ammo! (dont shoot trees, please please please clean up spent shotgun shells an targets, the brass you can leave for me!!, no more tannerite, abide by the hours posted etc,etc).
Old 01-28-2015, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
The gate just below theCandy rock range is closed for winter (it's part of some BS compromise with the BATS and the FS, but you can still hike up there on foot. And you are correct, it's closed on Sundays. To get to Candy Rock take Highway 4 to "Hunter Dam Road" turn right, go about 1/4 mile and you will see a Forest road 4n03 on the right. 4N03 turns into Candy Rock Rd. at some point, take that about a mile and you should see a gate on the left (closed in winter) you can park there and carry your stuff 200 yds up the hill to the range. Its just before Avery. Take Hunter Dam road (unpaved, but graded for 2wd) about 2 miles

A google search will bring up the Forest Service order governing the rules and operation hours for the site.

There's a couple anti gunners there who relish video taping any malfeasance they can document up there, please dont give them any ammo! (dont shoot trees, please please please clean up spent shotgun shells an targets, the brass you can leave for me!!, no more tannerite, abide by the hours posted etc,etc).
Yea my Folks have a cabin up in Avery so thats where I stay. But like I said I stay away from Candy Rock just from the things I've heard. I always go shoot up above Dorrington off the Forest Route Trails. Theres a few good spots up there and I've never been bothered once. The only problem I've ever seen is the lack of other shooters not cleaning up after themselves, but I think thats everywhere.

I was up shooting in Foresthill this last weekend and I couldn't believe the garbage out there. It would have taken my friends and I half the day to clean it all up. There must have been 10,000+ shotgun shells on the ground. Of course we couldn't clean it all up ourselves, but we cleaned up a few trash bags worth of shotgun shells.

Sacramento Black Rifle.
Old 02-02-2015, 8:39 PM

I drive through Copperoplis 5 days a week, since I work at the prison up there hill there. All that vast open land, I would think it'd be ok to just go out there and shoot, as long as you're far from the highway or O'Byrnes Ferry Rd. Or maybe you can get to know a local rancher that'll be kind enough to let you shoot on his/her property, as long as you pick up the empty shells/targets/trash ?!?!
Old 04-30-2022, 4:35 PM

I know this thread is old but has anyone been up there lately to see if itís still open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2022, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boden209 View Post
I know this thread is old but has anyone been up there lately to see if itís still open?

I heard about this a few years ago through the grapevine.
I talked with a friend that lives north of the dam.
He said it has long been shut down......
Old 05-04-2022, 11:31 AM

Really. Thatís funny. I was talking to this guy that I sold a gun to and he was telling me about how him and some friends earlier this year were out near hogan and were shooting out there. He even showed me a video. Said there were there people out there to. Iím not sure if this another spot