Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-20-2022, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

In the "don't bother us" email I got from CMP a couple days ago this is what they said regarding the condition of the rack grade rifles;

Quote:
The Rack grade is our lowest grade rifle we sell. It will be in very ruff condition, most purchases these for wall hangers or parts only. It has been fired but will not be any good for just a fun day at the range. If you want to enjoy shooting it I would recommend to pay a little more or the RM1Expert for $1100
Old 06-20-2022, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
In the "don't bother us" email I got from CMP a couple days ago this is what they said regarding the condition of the rack grade rifles;
You're an hour too late - the post-mistress picked up my mail already. I'm in, so we're gonna see what shows up. I still think I'll come up on the right side of things.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 06-20-2022, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
You're an hour too late - the post-mistress picked up my mail already. I'm in, so we're gonna see what shows up. I still think I'll come up on the right side of things.
Ha oh I agree. Even a shot out M1 that was dragged behind a half-track is worth the rack grade price. And if some find that debatable, hold on to that M1 for 5 or 10 years and then reassess.
Old 06-20-2022, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ha oh I agree. Even a shot out M1 that was dragged behind a half-track is worth the rack grade price. And if some find that debatable, hold on to that M1 for 5 or 10 years and then reassess.
The thing is, I don't really need any more Garands...... but I like project guns, and these sound like they'll fit the bill in spades. If I get a couple of rehab-able units, I get a satisfying project to play with and interest me. As we all know, the secondary market on these have gone crazy - I saw one go for $1,850 at a local auction house last Friday. So unless they are totally wrecked I don't think I can get hurt.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 06-20-2022, 3:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
........the secondary market on these have gone crazy - I saw one go for $1,850 at a local auction house last Friday. So unless they are totally wrecked I don't think I can get hurt.
What auction house might I ask? PM me if you don't want to ID it here.

I have 35 "PRISTINE"/CORRECT units I am looking to liquidate.

FROM a correct Winchester EO unit, to Win-13's.

To GASTRAP SA units.

To Correct/collector grade SA's.

To CMP, Collector grade HRA's, IHC's, and a MATCHED PAIR of ORIGINAL first production run IHC's.

An all correct BREDA (by Dean Dillabaugh) RIP.

And a first production run Berretta, match tuned and refinished by the Jedi Master of M1's-Don, "Mac" McCoy.

And parts???? Early gas port stuff is kid's play for me. Lock bar sights-SA and WRA? Got that in spades.....Op rods too.

Want a Winchester EO, ROUND firing pin? Got u covered.

How bout a GASTRAP, NUMBERED SA round firing pin, or a GASTRAP numbered long buttplate screw? Got u covered.

So please PM me with this auction house info...I'm in the market to sell.

Oh, I totally forgot about the un-molested Type I, 6.099 serial # SA National Match unit I have.........

Last edited by sofbak; 06-20-2022 at 3:51 PM..
Old 06-20-2022, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
No one can reasonably expect the prices of 20 or more years ago to be the same today. That's just silly and irrational. Everything from cmp still sells below open market value, yet everyone still complains.
How much was Gas 20 years ago
Old 06-20-2022, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
What auction house might I ask? PM me if you don't want to ID it here.
It's just a local po-dunk auction house here in Idaho, about 6 miles from me. I sent you a PM, but I do not think it is the best venue to move your stuff.

Old 06-20-2022, 5:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6 View Post
How much was Gas 20 years ago
National average in 2013 was about $3.50/gallon. CA was just over $4, so not too much different.

Old 06-20-2022, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
They used to come via registered mail or FedEx back in the day, right to your doorstep.
My one and only Garand (so far) came that way, registered mail right to my doorstep. No FFL required. And it wasn't that long ago. 10 years? Maybe a few more than that. A very nice Service Grade HRA.
Old 06-20-2022, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Here's an example of a rack grade

https://www.reddit.com/r/milsurp/com...m_source=share

Rock out with your Glock out
Old 06-20-2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
She’ll clean up pretty good, I always prefer GI wood vs new wood. High Number so barrel should be fine.

She would be ready to go back into action if this was the Ukraine
Old 06-20-2022, 10:24 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
She’ll clean up pretty good, I always prefer GI wood vs new wood. High Number so barrel should be fine.

She would be ready to go back into action if this was the Ukraine
The wood is the least of worries. I have seen sewer pipes in better shape than that bore. That ain't gonna buff out

Old 06-21-2022, 5:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
The wood is the least of worries. I have seen sewer pipes in better shape than that bore. That ain't gonna buff out
Honestly, I would not be thrilled if I received a rifle with a bore like that. BUT - the rest of that rifle looks decent (save the spring), and that wood will clean up nicely despite how it looks now. Plus, I've seen bores like that shoot decently and get "polished up" some by shooting lots of FMJ through them. Heat and cleaning can sometimes get rid of a lot of crud and smooth over pitting..... and it quite possibly will shoot OK as-is. I had a Winchester lever gun with a bore that seemed to absorb light like a Black Hole, but easily held the black off-hand and got shinier the more I shot it. You never know.......

If the two I ordered have decent bores and USGI wood, I'll consider it a win.

Old 06-21-2022, 6:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post

Looks pretty rough but yeah, he won't know for sure until he puts a couple hundred rounds through it.

I am curious though... The throat and muzzle erosion numbers were pretty good (+2 and +1), so this rifle was NOT shot too much (throat erosion tells you that for sure). So WHAT EXACTLY would cause the barrel to be so rough?

Rust? Corrosive ammo used without proper cleaning? Was there ever corrosive ammo used in Garands?

Something pitted the heck out that thing!
Old 06-21-2022, 7:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
I am curious though... The throat and muzzle erosion numbers were pretty good (+2 and +1), so this rifle was NOT shot too much (throat erosion tells you that for sure). So WHAT EXACTLY would cause the barrel to be so rough?

Rust? Corrosive ammo used without proper cleaning? Was there ever corrosive ammo used in Garands?

I would guess extended time a humid climate, and neglect. Maybe a Philippine returned rifle? I know the CMP got a lot of those back, and they were stored in less than optimum conditions.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:49 AM

Have you run brushes and patches through the Barrel?…..that should clean up. You didn’t buy a Brand New Rifle. Some steam, light…….very light sanding then some Raw Linseed Oil and that stock will look a lot better too.

This is a Rack Grade correct?
Old 06-21-2022, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Have you run brushes and patches through the Barrel?…..that should clean up. You didn’t buy a Brand New Rifle..........This is a Rack Grade correct?
Those pictures are from a Rack Grade posted on Reddit, not someone here - see reply #50. We have no answers for you.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2761377 View Post
the first couple years CMP operated just like DCM- 1 per customer per lifetime.

they shipped Service grades only at $310.

when they changed the one per rule is when the current grading system came into effect. I want to say FY1999.
The one I got is probably a service grade. The one my friend got was brand spanking new. I mean perfect, like never even put in a rack.
Old 06-21-2022, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
Looks pretty rough but yeah, he won't know for sure until he puts a couple hundred rounds through it.

From that reddit thread, heres the same bore after cleaning it a little.

Yeah, that's kinda rough

Old 06-21-2022, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
From that reddit thread, heres the same bore after cleaning it a little.

Yeah, that's kinda rough
https://i.imgur.com/qsv9N7t.jpeg
Ha - look at his thumbnail.

Old 06-24-2022, 8:54 PM

I received my two Garands today. Both SAs. One was definitely rougher than the other. One was 1,8XX,XXX and the other 3,1XX,XXX. The 1,8XX,XXX had a muzzle 3 and TE of 6. The other rifle did not note the muzzle or throat measurements on the hang tag.

Now I have to dig in to what I need to report to CFARS and the appropriate entry into the bound book.

I'll report more out when I have a chance to inspect the bore to see what they look like.

Very cool to have history shipped to my front door.
Old 06-25-2022, 6:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
National average in 2013 was about $3.50/gallon. CA was just over $4, so not too much different.
That was less than 10 years ago when we had another dumb *** in office.

20 years ago gas was $1.25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnake_nm View Post
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
In addition to all of the above, please note that it is illegal for you to offer an "Assault Weapon" for sale while you are in California, even if the weapon is restricted to sale out of the state.
Old 07-14-2022, 8:25 AM
Calguns Addict

My order for two rack grades is now showing under my CMP E-store account. I am really, really curious as to what's going to show up. Expectations are low...... but fingers are crossed!

Old 07-14-2022, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My order for two rack grades is now showing under my CMP E-store account. I am really, really curious as to what's going to show up. Expectations are low...... but fingers are crossed!
Just got my two rack grades, honestly was better than I was expecting. The TE and ME was 1 and 1+, unmeasured on the 2md though probably similar. Minor corrosion that had been parkerized over, dry as a bone with surface rust.

Last edited by IrishJoe3; 07-14-2022 at 12:26 PM..
Old 07-14-2022, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just got my two rack grades, honestly was better than I was expecting. The TE and ME was 1 and 1+, unmeasured on the 2md though probably similar. Minor corrosion that had been parkerized over, dry as a bone with surface rust.

Not too shabby! The one bore looks little rough but might fill in with some rounds through it. Any cartouches on the wood, USGI?
Congrats!
Old 07-14-2022, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
Not too shabby! The one bore looks little rough but might fill in with some rounds through it. Any cartouches on the wood, USGI?
Congrats!
There's a rack number stamped into one stock otherwise unmarked and the handguards don't match. Bores were very dirty so we'll see how they look after a scrubbing. They won't be match winners but are are a few cuts above sewer pipes.
Old 07-14-2022, 1:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There's a rack number stamped into one stock otherwise unmarked and the handguards don't match. Bores were very dirty so we'll see how they look after a scrubbing. They won't be match winners but are are a few cuts above sewer pipes.
How the bores look and how they shoot, they might surprise ya. Looks like one handguard is birch?

Look FWD to a shooting report!
Old 07-14-2022, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Milled vs. stamped trigger guard?

Barrel you showed doesn't look too bad.
Old 07-14-2022, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

The barrels don't look horrible to me. The stocks don't look like walnut, but they should clean up ok.

I'd be totally fine with those two.

Old 07-14-2022, 4:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The barrels don't look horrible to me. The stocks don't look like walnut, but they should clean up ok.

I'd be totally fine with those two.
Yeah absolutely. After seeing some of the pictures on the CMP forums and the ones earlier in this thread, and getting an email from the CMP where they basically warned "these are rack grades most people use them as parts guns". I was a little concerned about what I would get. Both of these rifles I'm pleased with and exceed what I was expecting.
Old 07-22-2022, 7:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah absolutely. After seeing some of the pictures on the CMP forums and the ones earlier in this thread, and getting an email from the CMP where they basically warned "these are rack grades most people use them as parts guns". I was a little concerned about what I would get. Both of these rifles I'm pleased with and exceed what I was expecting.
I'd do a bit of wood swapping - the rear hand guard on the top rifle looks like a close match for the front hand guard on the bottom rifle. Then I'd strip one of the stocks, and stain/finish it to match the hand guards. I'll bet that stock on the top one would approximate walnut very nicely with the right stain. I'd weird that way - I don't like mismatched wood.

Old 07-22-2022, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'd do a bit of wood swapping - the rear hand guard on the top rifle looks like a close match for the front hand guard on the bottom rifle. Then I'd strip one of the stocks, and stain/finish it to match the hand guards. I'll bet that stock on the top one would approximate walnut very nicely with the right stain. I'd weird that way - I don't like mismatched wood.
Ha you aren't wrong! I just picked up a walnut front handguard to replace the beech one, I'm going to try and get the wood to match as best as I can.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What is up with that lacquer/acrylic clear coat on the top one? Don't think I've ever seen that on a CMP gun, let alone any US government-sourced gun no matter where it came from, unless it were on a chromed or frilly parade gun by a subsequent org like a State-Police, ROTC, or National Guard.

----
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 07-27-2022, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

My order just went from "open" to "processing" today. I can't wait to see what shows up.

Old 07-28-2022, 1:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Shipped today....... what will show up? Stay tuned!

Old 07-28-2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayy Lmao View Post
Heres my rack 1943 Springfield. 3 muzzle/throat.

[...]

The trigger group lockup is very very weak. There is hardly any resistance, and the receiver moves within the stock. I will have to add some shims when I go shoot it.

One of the best gun purchases I've made, $650 for a piece of history.

I know the sling is upside down, just easier to pull it real tight that way.
If it is loose when the trigger guard is clamped, the obvious thing to check is the lugs on the trigger guard which engage with the receiver.

If they are worn-- you can see a picture here, halfway down the page, under "Inspecting the Trigger Assembly"-- then a possible remedy is to buy a replacement trigger guard, from Numrich/Gun Parts or similar. Milled would be correct for your rifle, and that is what your photo shows is on there now, but many rifles were rebuilt with stamped.

Alternatively, you could try what this guy did. The end of the lugs on the trigger guard are supposed to be round, not shaped like a letter "D".

I've seen rifles where they (not CMP, this was an arsenal rebuild) repaired a stock that was not "tall" enough in the area of the magazine by adding some wood. I don't have a picture handy but basically what the armorer would do is, remove a small amount of wood at the bottom of the magazine well where the trigger group contacts the stock on both sides, and replace it with new wood. This is not a repair I personally would attempt; I think I would try fiberglass bedding before I would try replacing the wood around the magazine well.

====================

Update: this guy has pictures of a glass bedding job. The area I am referring to where an arsenal rebuild added wood to the magazine well is pictured below. The picture is obviously from the linked site, and shows glass bedding in place of new wood, but you get the idea.

Last edited by socal m1 shooter; 07-28-2022 at 3:44 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 07-28-2022, 3:44 PM

Just glue a thin strip of walnut veneer where trigger guard sets.
Old 07-28-2022, 4:22 PM

Yes worn......
Old 07-28-2022, 4:36 PM

@Ayy_Lmao instead of that web sling, a nice M1907 sling can be money well-spent. If you get a good one-- Ron Brown or a Turner-- it should not be kept in your safe with a goldenrod or other dehumidifier. Rather, keep it off the rifle, so it doesn't dry out.

You can find videos of how to put one on the rifle, and how to sling up.

There's a few different ways to do that, but even if you don't regularly shoot matches, you can't go wrong with a proper sling. FYI, pics below show an innovative way to sling up; in that video linked above, Greg Ficklin (NRA HP XTC High Master, Distinguished Rifleman #2198, CMP GSM Master Inst.) shows the more conventional use.