Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-19-2021, 5:16 PM

Default M&P Shield for CCW?

I just applied for Orange County and have an appointment set up and the CCW class to attend soon.
I was at my LGS and noticed the Shield.
I have several guns listed for me to carry but the Shield looks easier to conceal.
I see it comes with standard sights and fiber optic sights.
The fiber optic looks like it could gets snagged while trying to draw the weapon?
Anyone have experience with the Shield? And what holster would you recommend?
Old 09-19-2021, 5:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Shield is a great option for a concealable on-roster gun.

I carry one when I need to be really concealed (doesn’t print as much as a double stack).

I carry it in a Tulster since it keeps the slim profile.

iTrader
Old 09-19-2021, 6:45 PM
Calguns Addict

The Shield is a quality firearm. However, the questions you should be asking yourself, IMO are...

1). Can you conceal this gun?

2) Is a small compact/sub compact gun with reduced sight radius, reduced capacity, greater recoiling weapon, that you probably can't get your whole hand on, the gun that you want to fight with and bet your life and the lives of your family on?

And maybe it is. I'm not saying it's inherently the wrong choice. But a lot of people's evaluation for a carry gun tends to begin and end with, "it's sure nice to carry/conceal."

Think about all the crap going on in our world today. There was a time where, if you needed a gun, it was likely for something of a more personal nature...like a mugging or because you walked in on a convenience store Robbery.

But in today's world bad guys are flying jet liners into buildings and blowing up marathons, and executing white men on the streets of Fresno because they're white and because "religion of peace." And they're shooting up schools and shopping malls and movie theaters and Christmas work parties and night clubs and they're driving vans through crowds of people etc.

If you'd be comfortable fighting for your life in the above scenarios with the Shield, then it's the right choice. And OBVIOUSLY I mean within reason and relevance here. We'd all rather have a rifle in the above scenarios. And a tank. But compared to a larger concealable handgun?

Also consider...at the point that you add an extended pinky grip magazine to the gun...like so many people tend to do...the grip essentially becomes the equivalent size of the grip on a larger weapon. So if you're going to be adding the grip, then it may make sense to simply move up to, say, a glock 19 sized weapon, since most people don't have a problem concealing the extra barrel length.

YMMV.

Fighter Pilot
Old 09-19-2021, 8:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My wife prefers the shield for carry over all her other guns. But she carries with a belly band or fanny pack primarily, and on occasion with a bravo concealment holster.
Old 09-19-2021, 8:59 PM

When OC first opened up and started issuing CCW's all I had was a G17. So that is what I used. It was fine in the winter when wearing large clothes. Not so much in the summer. So I got the Shield. Haven't had any complaints or problems. Even though it is a small gun it fits nicely in my large hands.

I carry mine in an Alien Gear IWB holster. Have no complaints about it either. I've had it going on 6 years now and have it on almost everyday.

Good luck in your search. Hope you find what works best for you.
Old 09-19-2021, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't think you can go wrong with it, I carried it for quite a while, you can mod the mags to hold more rounds and function very reliably as well. Practice sweeping the safety off when drawn, even if you carry with it off. When things got frisky I switched to my trusty vintage SIG P229 without all the CA "safety features" and got used to the larger heavier firearm for CCW and have not switched back to the Shield since. The shield is there for me if I feel I need it to conceal better in different clothes and will not part with it. I did notice the mag release got rusty from sweat, it's metal and you want to remove and inspect it now and then, keep it lubed well.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Last edited by CessnaDriver; 09-19-2021 at 9:11 PM..
Old 09-19-2021, 9:10 PM

I have 2 Shield 9mm’s
I carry one and use the other for practice or if something ever needs repair I have a backup.
I carry AIWB in a JMKydex 2.5, they are quite comfortable as well as easily accessible.
My EDC has Trijicon HD’s, the practice one has a Trijicon fiber optic front post. I don’t carry the fiber optic, while it is fabulously bright in the sun, for many possible ccw uses the fiber optic is a no show.
Both have Apex Duty/Carry triggers and Magguts 10 round mag kits.
As far as reliability they have a combined 11,000 plus round count with one failure to feed.
Within the 5 yd range I can have 2 shots from a concealed draw in 1.5 seconds and shoot routinely with .23-.25 splits. 7-10 yds I’m down to 1.7 second draw, overall I find them a great choice.
I do think Shields are a bit unforgiving of poor grip habits, with a consistently proper grip they are as well behaved as any other gun, nothing a dedicated dry fire practice program can’t accomplish for you.
In Ca there really aren’t that many choices available anymore that fit in the Shield category, decent round count, easily concealable yet not so small you can’t obtain a fast master grip with the first touch in the holster, reliable and a good self defense cartridge available at a good price.
Old 09-19-2021, 9:19 PM
Why Change the Default?
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I think there is more to consider than just concealability, and can you shoot it well on a range.

I think you should consider how quickly can you get that easily concealed gun OUT from its concealment? How quickly can you perform all of the malfunction types?

Although I have carried a Shield, I found ALL of those things much more difficult to do quickly than a more full sized gun. Getting a smaller gun out of the holster and on target is much slower for me. And, for me, just getting the slide locked back in a Type 3 malfunction takes some serious concentration because of the small/strong recoil spring.

Before you choose the Shield, or probably any gun, you should dry practice against time, and then decide if the time and strength needed to operate the gun are worth the "concealability."
Old 09-20-2021, 6:49 AM
Veteran Member

In my right front pocket it fits well and easy access from a stickem type DeSantis holster. Ask the Sales people if you can see how it fits while in the store, obviously with no mag inserted. The boss where I bought mine was a work around guy and I liked the fit, and bought it. Hook line and Sinker, Oakley in Contra Costa County.

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 09-20-2021 at 6:50 AM.. Reason: sentence structure
Old 09-20-2021, 11:00 AM

I have both my 40S&W and 9mm Performance 2.0 Shields on my CCW list. Excellent carry guns. AIWB. Tulster holster. They came with FO sights which had no snagging issues and were great in daylight, but worthless in low light. Swapped for XS Big Dots. Much better. That said, my go to carry is my Sig P365. Smaller profile, higher round capacity, and great stock night sights. Zero issues with heavy recoil. All of them are easy to keep on target.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:04 PM

Carried one for two years, put over 3K rounds through it, also used it in a few USPSA matches from concealment. Good gun and probably your best option for on-roster in that size. Very happy with both of my Shield holsters from Off The Grid Concepts and Blackpoint Tactical.

I also added Warren night sights, and a mild stipple to the grip, and recommend both mods.

Traded it for a G43 and sold that for a P365. The Shield is not far from either in terms of performance. I have size XL hands.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
Old 09-20-2021, 12:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

+1 for the S&W shield.

Great, reliable and accurate tool.

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 09-21-2021, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
The Shield is a quality firearm. However, the questions you should be asking yourself, IMO are...

1). Can you conceal this gun?

2) Is a small compact/sub compact gun with reduced sight radius, reduced capacity, greater recoiling weapon, that you probably can't get your whole hand on, the gun that you want to fight with and bet your life and the lives of your family on?

And maybe it is. I'm not saying it's inherently the wrong choice. But a lot of people's evaluation for a carry gun tends to begin and end with, "it's sure nice to carry/conceal."

Think about all the crap going on in our world today. There was a time where, if you needed a gun, it was likely for something of a more personal nature...like a mugging or because you walked in on a convenience store Robbery.

But in today's world bad guys are flying jet liners into buildings and blowing up marathons, and executing white men on the streets of Fresno because they're white and because "religion of peace." And they're shooting up schools and shopping malls and movie theaters and Christmas work parties and night clubs and they're driving vans through crowds of people etc.

If you'd be comfortable fighting for your life in the above scenarios with the Shield, then it's the right choice. And OBVIOUSLY I mean within reason and relevance here. We'd all rather have a rifle in the above scenarios. And a tank. But compared to a larger concealable handgun?

Also consider...at the point that you add an extended pinky grip magazine to the gun...like so many people tend to do...the grip essentially becomes the equivalent size of the grip on a larger weapon. So if you're going to be adding the grip, then it may make sense to simply move up to, say, a glock 19 sized weapon, since most people don't have a problem concealing the extra barrel length.

YMMV.
Shhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeit, .

I carry concealed and AIWB either a 5” M&P 2.0, a Glock 17 or a Beretta 92FS on a regular basis and even in summer time with cargo shorts!

A shield is “nothin” to conceal,

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-21-2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
When things got frisky I switched to my trusty vintage SIG P229 without all the CA "safety features" and got used to the larger heavier firearm for CCW and have not switched back to the Shield since..
Can you carry a handgun that's not on the Ca roster?
Old 09-21-2021, 10:17 PM

What’s you clothing style? Fitted or loose?

I wear slightly loose fitting (not at all baggy) clothes and carry a G19 with a RDS just fine. I also carry a G26 with weapon light/laser attached. And I deal with people daily at my job and take my family out to dinner and other places a lot. Never had any issue.

With that said, the Shield is a great option and I highly doubt you’ll have any snagging up with a good holster. No gun is “the best of CCW” nor is the worse, just what works for the person carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2021, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedavell View Post
Can you carry a handgun that's not on the Ca roster?

Must be registered to you, I think most if not all issuing agencies allow off roster but best to check yours.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 09-21-2021, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

I just picked up a Shield recently. I am 6'2, 200lbs. I dont wear things loose and baggy, but at the same time dont wear my clothes skin tight, don't rock skinny jeans ( I wear straight leg pants/jeans), and prefer a more fitted or slim look with my shirts. I can't really conceal anything at the 3, 4 or 5 o'clock positions without it obviously printing, but the Shield conceals really well AIWB. I have both a cheap $20 holster and separate mag pouch I got off Amazon and a much more expensive Tier 1 Concealed AIWB holster. Both holsters work well, but the Tier 1 is a huge step up in comfort and conceivability, which you most certainly pay for. With a pair of jeans and a t-shirt I can confidently conceal the Shield with the Tier 1.

I bought a few extra mags and ended up purchasing the standard/non-extneded grip mags. I can draw, manipulate and fire the gun no problem with the standard mags, perform tactical and emergency reloads and all malfunctions just fine with the standard grip magazines. If I am that worried about having that extra round I may look into the MagGutz for the magazines that allow yo to add one more round compared to their current stock capacity.

As far as sights, I ended up replacing the sights on my Shield with a set of heinie Straight 8 Ledge sights. I have them on both go my Glock 17's and really like them, and since they also make them for the Shield I figured why not? With that said, in retrospect I didn't mind and dare I say actually liked the stock, plain white 3-dot sights that came with the gun. The white dots are huge and seem to allow a fairly fast and very easy to see sight picture. I just prefer a straight-8 sight picture and was going for consistency from firearm to firearm, but if I'm being honest I would be just fine and happy with the stock sights on this firearm.

The mag disconnect is lame on the CA model, and the little piece you have to reach in and flip to remove the slide is a bit dumb, but both things I can live with. The chamber indicator on the CA compliant model is very large, painted red, and obtrusive, and was noticeable when I was pointed in and on target distracting me from my sight picture, so I replaced it with a Low Profile Loaded Chamber Indicator from Apex.

I think the main point of contention with the first version of the Shield is the trigger. It's a bit "crude" compared to other firearms, and apparently has been improved in subsequent versions that are not CA compliant. It's on the heavier side, which I don't mind for a carry firearm. It's not horrible though, just don't expect a smooth, silly, clean and crisp trigger. The recoil spring is a bit heavy as well, which is probably a combo of a really heavy recoil spring combined with the small size of the firearm, but again, for me it's not a deal breaker. I could see the slide possibly being tough to each for someone with weak hands though. After a bunch of dry firing and cycling the slide, and some very light polishing of the trigger components just to smooth things out and in no way altering the geometry of the components, it's loosed up a little. So just like any firearm I think a few range trips and a LOT of dry practice at home with be your best friend when getting to know this, or any new firearm.

I'm used to drawing from the 3 o'clock position OWB with a Glock 17, 1911, Beretta M9A1 and Springfield XD9 drawing from open front concealment (unbuttoned button down shirt, unzipped light jacket, etc.), and have had no problems transitioning to drawing from AIWB with closed front garment (t-shirt, non-zippered hoodie, etc.) Again, for me it's just about routine and regular practice to ingraine those movements to the point where they will hopefully become second nature.

I also checked out the 3" XD9 sub-compact and the Glock 26 and preferred the Shield for it's slimness and concealability. The other two just felt like bricks and really didn't see much advantage to them as far as conceivability compared to a standard XD9 or Glock 19, and the Shield felt surprisingly well in my hand despite it being a very slim firearm.

Keep in mind I have only had this firearm for under 2 months, so take everything Iv'e said with that in mind. Overall I really do like this little firearm, despite it being a CA compliant model and the small complaints mentioned above. I still don't think it would have been worth it to spend 3+ times the amount of what I paid for the Shield for a Glock 43, or any of the other off-roster micro compacts that people sheet out for. I got my Shield for $430 new before tax and DROS.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 09-22-2021 at 12:01 AM..
Old 09-22-2021, 4:40 PM

Shield 9 is my primary concealed carry. More accurate than a tiny gun has a right to have, ultra reliable, easily concealed and a reasonable capacity.

I put EMP +2 bases and +5% Wolff Springs in my 7rd short mags to give me 9+1 capacity and the added benefit is with the extension, I get a full grip with pinky fully supported. This is probably why I can shoot it so accurately.

If you want to carry a tiny gun and you shoot it well, the Shield is an excellent choice. I prefer it over both my P365 and my Glock 43 for concealed carry, since I shoot my Shield more accurately.

I appendix carry in a Foxtrot Concealment IWB holster. I did install Night Fision night sights, which are brighter than Trijicon, Meprolight and Truglo, and the size of the sights help me acquire targets faster and shoot more accurately...but. The "but" is that they are taller than the other company's sights (but not as high as suppressor sights), so carrying appendix I do feel the rear sight against my stomach. Before you ask, I'm 5'6" and 150 lbs, so it's not a fat hump that contact the rear sight.

It was annoying at first, but I put uo with it, since I shoot well with those Night Fision brand sights. Eventually I got used to it, so it's no longer annoying.
Old 09-22-2021, 4:49 PM

Thanks for all the input.
It sounds like the Shield is definitely a good consideration
Old 09-22-2021, 9:38 PM

I have a Shield 9 Plus. I like its grip which is very comfortable, and the trigger that is improved a lot over older version of Shields. I use a Blade Tech IWB holster for it.
Old 10-05-2021, 1:03 PM

I carry a shield 9mm in sticky holster very concealable.
Old 10-05-2021, 1:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Shield Plus Performance Center. great weapon. I’m not that “concealed” as I could be using a Sneaky Pete.holster but very comfy in any weather.
Old 10-10-2021, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

Is modifying the shield to remove, or make low profile of the LCI good to go for CCW?

What about the magazine disconnect for a CCW gun?

Since they're inherent "safety" features, I think it's a good question.

I'm wanting to do all of the above, and mill the slide for a red dot.
Old 10-10-2021, 3:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
Is modifying the shield to remove, or make low profile of the LCI good to go for CCW?

What about the magazine disconnect for a CCW gun?

Since they're inherent "safety" features, I think it's a good question.

I'm wanting to do all of the above, and mill the slide for a red dot.

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 10-10-2021, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
It's a very much applicable question for everyone that may have wondered as well!
Old 10-10-2021, 3:22 PM

I carry a Shield 9mm, I like it a lot. IMHO it's a very good shooter for it's size. I use an OWB Alien Gear Leather/Kydex holster under a coat and a Desantis Kydex IWB.

Mag Guts flat spring inside the mags allow one extra round.
Old 10-10-2021, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
It's a very much applicable question for everyone that may have wondered as well!

Some would say it was worthy of a thread of it's own or at the very least a little research...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 10-10-2021, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
Some would say it was worthy of a thread of it's own or at the very least a little research...

Really depends on IA, so answer varies by county, so @BucDan, ask in your appropriate county thread.

iTrader
Old 10-11-2021, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Okay, when it first came out, the Shield became the quintessential CCW gun. It is small, reliable, inexpensive and rugged. And it was far and away the best option out there. Things have changed over the past decade, with Glock, Springfield, Sig, and many others coming out with newer handguns that hold more rounds in similar-sized packages. Even S&W has updated the Shield with a higher capacity version. Unfortunately, all of that means little to us here in California. Because of the roster, we are barred from easily getting any of the newer guns. So the Shield remains pretty high on the list for CCW guns here.

Personally I like the Shield. I carry one probably 95% of the time. I have taken combat pistol classes with it, and it has never had an issue. I put night sights on mine, and they are about the same size and shape as the factory sights. I also have a TLR-6 light on mine, as it is a carry gun, and I feel that is needed. Everything else on it is stock. I like it, and will probably still carry it if newer guns ever make it into the state, simply because it has been really reliable for me.

-Mb
Old 10-11-2021, 10:43 AM

I have the shield in 40 and I have carried it for around 8 years on my CCW. It was my go to - due to its size and concealability for the clothing I wear. If it fits your needs, I would highly recommend this firearm.

I would still carry it, but I was fortunate enough to obtain a G43 and now that is my go to.