Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-22-2021, 2:23 PM

Default CCW - Address/Registration

I'll be applying to Tuolumne County before the end of the year. I haven't decided which guns I'll list on my permit yet, but everything I own, I've purchased while living in other places in CA.
The Tuolumne County instructions state:

- If your firearms are registered to you or your spouse but not at your current address, you will need to update your firearms registration with the Department of Justice. You can update your information by creating a CFARS account

I created a CFARS account but as far as I can tell, I'd need to update each gun separately. I recently purchased a new 12 gauge at my new address so according to the ammo check threads I saw my AFS info should already be updated.

Does anyone have experience with this? Do I really need to update my address for each gun?

TIA.
Old 09-23-2021, 1:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

That's an interesting dilemma. I've never heard of such a requirement before. I just looked on the CFARS site and I would agree with you that if the sheriff really requires this you would need to file a change request for all 3 guns that you want on your permit. You should only have one fee for all you are changing.

Have you contacted the SO to see if they need all or if any firearm at your new address will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 09-25-2021, 7:42 PM

I just had to do that, for Calaveras county. The ccw instructor said that the firearms that will be in the permit would need to be registered to my new address.
Old 09-25-2021, 8:11 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
I just had to do that, for Calaveras county. The ccw instructor said that the firearms that will be in the permit would need to be registered to my new address.
Did anyone explain why? It is not required by CA law.
Old 09-25-2021, 8:29 PM

The IA requires it. That's what the ccw instructor said. I know not to believe gun store employees, but since he knows the sheriff and staff, I thought it would not hurt to do it.
Old 09-25-2021, 8:29 PM

Calaveras county
Old 09-26-2021, 1:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My LASD interviewing deputy said the same thing. Had to do a change of address for one of my listed handguns in CFARS.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:52 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hmm.

That sounds like someone is lobbying IAs to do something not required, but not forbidden.

One of the distinctions of CA 'registration' from other schemes is that maintaining a current address on the record of a gun is not required.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-26-2021, 1:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Hmm.

That sounds like someone is lobbying IAs to do something not required, but not forbidden.

One of the distinctions of CA 'registration' from other schemes is that maintaining a current address on the record of a gun is not required.
Agreed. When I brought that up to him, he responded by saying that it doesn't matter in general if your firearms are registered to your current address, or even at all if they were acquired before it was a requirement, but that the handguns you want to list on your permit need to have a DROS record that matches the address on your permit.