Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-14-2011, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerTroop View Post
Just saw it (I'm guessing it was a replay from earlier). Not a bad story, but the Rep from the Brady Nutbags was spewing typical "more guns on the street carried by undertrained(really?) people is a bad thing" crap.

But they followed it by talking about the training are about the law and people must pass a background check.

http://www.news10.net/video/default....1/788987208001
Old 02-14-2011, 7:20 AM

I hope to see a similar report regarding CCW issuance in San Joaquin County soon!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 6:37 AM

Quote:

Cool part: Calguns and SAF were specificaly mentioned. In reference to recent efforts/lawsuits challenging CCW restrictions.
Also cool that the bootlicker forum was NOT mentioned. Wonder how many of them will actually follow your links to this thread.

I have interested friends in SJ, looking forward to more updates from JT, etc.
Old 02-15-2011, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
Good luck guys. Did Moore give any indication as to when you might be getting an answer?
Anyone hear back yet?
Old 02-15-2011, 2:49 PM
Veteran Member

Nothing yet.

TRUST ME... when we find out, you'll know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
And yes, this IS gun school.
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
There is life outside of Calguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 5:51 PM

A few things stuck in my head after my interview, as well as I can remember them. These are un-prompted comments/questions.

1. "Being Pro 2A and Pro-CCW are 2 totally different things"
2. "Have you considered 'Less than lethal' forms of self-defense?"
3. "There are 2 parts: Good Moral Character & Good Cause, and the law says 'May Issue', not 'Shall Issue'."
4. "When I finish reviewing all the CCW applications, we will noify you."

Unless some of you have documented cases of threats to your life, assaults etc., or my interpretation of how my interview went is wrong, there will be a lot of disappointed CCW applicants this go around.
Old 02-15-2011, 6:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead9 View Post
A few things stuck in my head after my interview, as well as I can remember them. These are un-prompted comments/questions.

3. "There are 2 parts: Good Moral Character & Good Cause, and the law says 'May Issue', not 'Shall Issue'."

Unless some of you have documented cases of threats to your life, assaults etc., or my interpretation of how my interview went is wrong, there will be a lot of disappointed CCW applicants this go around.
Are these direct quotes from Moore? Seems like he didn't have a "script" as #1 was stated a different way, but said the same thing. #2 was not asked of me, nor was it even mentioned. #3 was not mentioned in any way. #4 was not mentioned either. He simply said he'll make a decision, and get back to me. He DID ask if I've ever been a victim of robbery/attempted robbery regarding a portion of my GC ( I haven't), but I didn't let it faze me, so he quickly moved on. He and I both know that just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't or won't.

It seems that the interviews weren't "cookie cutter", and I would expect a mixed bag of responses. I just hope there are more Yays than Nays.

Quote:
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Quote:
stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!

Last edited by JagerTroop; 02-15-2011 at 6:41 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

I'm think'n SJ Co. is going to be a bit of a tough nut to crack but given enough pressure it will indeed crack.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Concealed Carry Fundamentals Now Available

All,

I just received 100 copies of "Concealed Carry Fundamentals". This is a great resource for you if you are preparing for, or just received your CCW. Alot of the info in it and it is even more than you receive in the local classes.

They sell for the listed price of $26.95 and are well worth it! Being a recent recipient of a CCW approval and now preparing for class myself, this will make class more meaningful and well worth the $$.

Just my 2 cents

Available here http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/cocafu.html (Make sure to use CALGUNS in the coupon code for free shipping!)

Golden State Tactical <---click here >

An FORMER Outpost Deep In the Heart of the Beast! Home of "California Compliant" AR15 Parts and Magazines and some of the lowest priced guns in the state!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 5:13 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead9 View Post

I didn't hear 1,3 or 4 from Moore. He did hit me with #2 though. I asked him "like what? A cell phone? A pocket knife? Please..." It was all I could do to not smart off and ask him if he carried off duty.

I agree that there will be a majority of denials from Sheriff Moore.
Old 02-16-2011, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Are these direct quotes from Moore? Seems like he didn't have a "script" as #1 was stated a different way, but said the same thing. #2 was not asked of me, nor was it even mentioned. #3 was not mentioned in any way. #4 was not mentioned either. He simply said he'll make a decision, and get back to me. He DID ask if I've ever been a victim of robbery/attempted robbery regarding a portion of my GC ( I haven't), but I didn't let it faze me, so he quickly moved on. He and I both know that just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't or won't.

It seems that the interviews weren't "cookie cutter", and I would expect a mixed bag of responses. I just hope there are more Yays than Nays.

I had my inerview yesterday. I had the same questions. He did stress the question "Have you ever been a victim".
I have never had a house fire but I still carry fire insurance and two Fire Extinguisher in the house.

I felt good but not as good as I wanted to feel leaving the interview.
Old 02-16-2011, 1:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER295 View Post
Yes, you are correct. He meant that hopefully I would know when I am approved at that time. I applied November 23rd.
Your 90 days is up on the 21st. Still no word??

Brandon, what happens when the sheriff does not make a decision within 90 days? Is it hammertime?

Quote:
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-16-2011, 1:36 PM

Consider less than lethal force? Yes, I'll shoot the attacker in the knees.

Until the criminals agree to use less than lethal force............nuff said
Old 02-18-2011, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4geezer View Post
Consider less than lethal force? Yes, I'll shoot the attacker in the knees.

Until the criminals agree to use less than lethal force............nuff said
Not in life or death situations. Kill or be killed, not wound or be killed.

Ask the officers that shot up that stolen van with the kid in it in north stockton if they thought about using less than lethal force.(I do suppose vehicles are a different story tho)
Old 02-18-2011, 3:19 PM

Ok, I was denied by mail about two weeks ago and I applied for a CCW back in March of 2010 with the SJSO. It took that long because they wanted me to go through Lodi PD first and be denied, it took a few months just to get a call back from Chet Somera from Lodi PD and then got the run around from them. By the time I was denied by Lodi it was approaching the New Year, so Sgt. Palmer submitted the application to Sheriff Moore right before Christmas of 2010. I might add that I voted for and visited with Sheriff Moore many times when he use to patrol the I-5 and Highway 12 area and stop into the fire station out there. Now, that I have read some of your interviews with the sheriff, I believe I am a above average citizen who is in public service, fire investigator, a member of the San Joaquin County Arson Task Force, and been approved by DOJ to attend and completed the Ca. PC 832 courses (Arrest, Search, and Seizure & Firearms Familiarization). I say that because we as investigators in public service are subject to testifying against the accused. Also, I travel to and from work in the City of Stockton and various areas of the county to investigate fires in the hardest and most remote areas at various hours. By passing the DOJ background to attend a Ca. Post course tells me that (and I have a letter from them stating) I am NOT restricted from owning or possessing a firearm. I wasn’t the best young adult but that was 20+ years ago and I have never been restricted from owning or possessing a firearm. I will also add that I am a property owner in rural Arizona and holder of an Arizona CCW, 33+ States. I received the SJSO generic denial letter with no explanation for the denial. A portion of the above stated was included in my good cause. I hope this helps. Fight the good fight. SteveG

I would also add the the cover letter Lodi PD sent with the application was very disrespectful and demeaning

aNXwdB.jpg

Last edited by sfdwarrior; 02-18-2011 at 4:13 PM.. Reason: Add statement
Old 02-19-2011, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdwarrior View Post
Ok, I was denied by mail about two weeks ago and I applied for a CCW back in March of 2010 with the SJSO. It took that long because they wanted me to go through Lodi PD first and be denied, it took a few months just to get a call back from Chet Somera from Lodi PD and then got the run around from them. By the time I was denied by Lodi it was approaching the New Year, so Sgt. Palmer submitted the application to Sheriff Moore right before Christmas of 2010. I might add that I voted for and visited with Sheriff Moore many times when he use to patrol the I-5 and Highway 12 area and stop into the fire station out there. Now, that I have read some of your interviews with the sheriff, I believe I am a above average citizen who is in public service, fire investigator, a member of the San Joaquin County Arson Task Force, and been approved by DOJ to attend and completed the Ca. PC 832 courses (Arrest, Search, and Seizure & Firearms Familiarization). I say that because we as investigators in public service are subject to testifying against the accused. Also, I travel to and from work in the City of Stockton and various areas of the county to investigate fires in the hardest and most remote areas at various hours. By passing the DOJ background to attend a Ca. Post course tells me that (and I have a letter from them stating) I am NOT restricted from owning or possessing a firearm. I wasn’t the best young adult but that was 20+ years ago and I have never been restricted from owning or possessing a firearm. I will also add that I am a property owner in rural Arizona and holder of an Arizona CCW, 33+ States. I received the SJSO generic denial letter with no explanation for the denial. A portion of the above stated was included in my good cause. I hope this helps. Fight the good fight. SteveG

I would also add the the cover letter Lodi PD sent with the application was very disrespectful and demeaning

Attachment 86559
Best of luck in your quest. Long ago when I lived there I inquired of the Keystone cops in lodi about a CCW. Never even applied after I got the runaround and the nasty CCW packet with all of the onerous requirements. If there ever was an agency that needed an FBI investigation it is that one. Bunch of clowns.

SJ may change but I don't think it will be without a fight. It is a county without a soul. I mean really there are 800K people living there and there is nothing except a place for a bunch of major CA freeways to cross. Ergo you end up with massive bedroom communities and the politics are run by a small group of people. Recipe for disaster for the common taxpayer.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Attachment 86559
I'd be interested in receiving a copy of the Lodi letter, and also if you paid any monies to Lodi PD for your prerequisite denial.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-20-2011, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Ok, I was denied by mail about two weeks ago and I applied for a CCW back in March of 2010 with the SJSO. It took that long because they wanted me to go through Lodi PD first and be denied, it took a few months just to get a call back from Chet Somera from Lodi PD and then got the run around from them.

Attachment 86559
Not that it helps now, or means that things are going to get better in Lodi, but Chet Somera is no longer in charge of CCW for LPD. Also, Benincasa retired, and they just hired a new Chief from the outside (Newark). Before Somera denied even giving me an application, I asked him how many issued CCW's existed in Lodi. He gave a long awkward pause, and said, "uhhhhhh probably around 40". I'm guessing it's more like 20. I'm pretty sure that if you are the man in charge of CCW permits for a population of roughly 70,000, and there are less than 40 issued permits, one would probably know the EXACT number.

Lodi is the Biggest Little City in CA, and they're not shy about informing you that they're smarter than you...
Old 02-20-2011, 5:21 PM

@sfdwarrior I don't see why anybody would need to be under that bridge where the homeless are, as far as conceal carrying there. Any idea which bridge that was or how old that picture is? 99 or I5? I remember for a bit there were tents up and down the canal like 4 or 5. Tents on the side of the road. I know on the south 99 to crosstown freeway ramp you can see this guys shack. it looks pretty nifty to, elevated off the ground. has a bbq grill there. lots of chickens! I hope he loves eggs or likes plucking and boiling chicken(I have no idea how to get eggs from chickens or make them produce eggs). Realistically, although it is a dangerous place as far as proximity to 40mph traffic and freeway traffic. It is really unused land. I've never seen anybody grilling or around there. Must be gathering stuff.

I'm sure there are lots of "homeless" documentaries about how they gather old stuff and repurpose it. I could probably learn a lot in the SHTF area from these guys.
Old 02-21-2011, 9:12 PM

I ALSO APPLIED TO LODI PD AND I WAITED OVER A MONTH AFTER TURNING IN MY PACKET AND THEN I RECIEVED A PHONE CALL FROM OFFICER HOLZ AND HE ASKED A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS OF SOME THINGS THAT CAME UP ON MY BACKGROUND CHECK AND SAID I WILL GET BACK TO YOU, AND HE DID BY MEANS OF A DENIAL LETTER AND THEN I APPLIED TO THE SHERIFF'S DEPT. I DIDN'T PAY ANY MONEY, BUT I FEEL I DIDNT EVEN GET A FAIR SHOT AT THE PROCESS, I HAVE GOTTEN FURTHER WITH S.J.S.O. AND I AM STILL GETTING THE RUN-A-ROUND.

P.S. BRANDON DID YOU GET MY EMAIL?
Old 02-21-2011, 9:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksmith View Post
I ALSO APPLIED TO LODI PD AND I WAITED OVER A MONTH AFTER TURNING IN MY PACKET AND THEN I RECIEVED A PHONE CALL FROM OFFICER HOLZ AND HE ASKED A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS OF SOME THINGS THAT CAME UP ON MY BACKGROUND CHECK AND SAID I WILL GET BACK TO YOU, AND HE DID BY MEANS OF A DENIAL LETTER AND THEN I APPLIED TO THE SHERIFF'S DEPT. I DIDN'T PAY ANY MONEY, BUT I FEEL I DIDNT EVEN GET A FAIR SHOT AT THE PROCESS, I HAVE GOTTEN FURTHER WITH S.J.S.O. AND I AM STILL GETTING THE RUN-A-ROUND.

P.S. BRANDON DID YOU GET MY EMAIL?
It will be easier to read your posts in the future IF YOU’RE NOT SHOUTING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.

Last edited by MrClamperSir; 02-21-2011 at 9:41 PM..
Old 02-21-2011, 9:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

@Locksmith - Got your email.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 AM

I'm on day 77, so some of you have to be close to (or past) 90 days by now. My guess is that he's throwing up a middle finger, and taking the full 90 days for each applicant.

I'm also guessing that there is/was a tactic behind the interviews. It seems like the guys that got interviewed, used previously approved GC statements. If he had just denied them, he would have to explain why one was approved and one not (with the same GC). By interviewing the applicant, he gains the ability to be even more subjective in the final decision. Again, I hope I'm wrong...
Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Day 84 for me.

@meathead - I hope your theory is wrong, lol. He didn't touch on any other subjct other than GC, so as long as it was similar to an already accepted GC, and your verbal matched your written, I don't see how he could deny based on that. If he was going to deny based on good moral character, I wouldn't see a need for an interview. He'd just look at you background and say "nope". If not, I would see him being more interested in other aspects of our applications, not just GC.

Hopefully we'll find out in the next week or so.

Quote:
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-22-2011, 2:19 PM

I'm sure he is taking the full 90 days even if its good or bad news, but I don't know why. How much more is he going learn about someone after the background check and interview.

Has anyone got a CCW?

I've got a few more days. What happens after day 90?
Old 02-22-2011, 5:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

After "Day 90", we show up [again].

I have some info as to what's going on, and all I can say at this point is let's hold judgment until we see actual letters. Specifically, we are looking for outcomes for those applicants who have very similar good cause to those already approved. Those who have their own good cause that is not similarly situated are very probably not in a position to challenge the outcome (yet).

-Brandon

Old 02-23-2011, 4:35 PM
Administrator

I am past 90 days and still have heard nothing. I believe 90 days was Monday.

Old 02-23-2011, 5:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER295 View Post
I am past 90 days and still have heard nothing. I believe 90 days was Monday.
You should have my phone number; let's talk this week.

-Brandon

Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

brandon im still have yet to get your email
Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

THIS is going to be interesting.
Old 02-24-2011, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClamperSir View Post
It will be easier to read your posts in the future IF YOU’RE NOT SHOUTING!
Sorry didnt mean to shout
Old 02-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
After "Day 90", we show up [again].

I have some info as to what's going on, and all I can say at this point is let's hold judgment until we see actual letters. Specifically, we are looking for outcomes for those applicants who have very similar good cause to those already approved. Those who have their own good cause that is not similarly situated are very probably not in a position to challenge the outcome (yet).

-Brandon
Today is day 89. However, I'm not too confident that SJSO will abide by the law and make their decision tomorrow. My gc is similar (but not identical) to several known gc statements.

What is the next step, after they fail to respond?

Quote:
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-27-2011, 12:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Today is day 89. However, I'm not too confident that SJSO will abide by the law and make their decision tomorrow. My gc is similar (but not identical) to several known gc statements.

What is the next step, after they fail to respond?
Keep me posted, and remain patient. I'll update everyone as I can, but understand that not everything can be posted publicly.

Old 02-27-2011, 3:46 PM

Wasn't it somewhere written in this thread that Sheriff Moore can't stop what is going to happen like in Sacramento, and this is his way of "politically" saying no? Like the people in Wisconsin's state senate not showing up. Nobody can say he approved or disapproved if he didn't do either.

I wonder if the post marks are day 90 for people maybe then?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

90 days has come and gone.

Brandon, check your email.

Quote:
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-02-2011, 7:33 AM
Veteran Member

I'm well past 90 also.
IDPA Member
Old 03-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Brandon sent you a email I'm past 90 days!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Everyone, I am tracking and do understand the timeframes at issue. Please remain patient and remember there are multiple wheels turning here at once, not all of which are visible.

-Brandon

Old 03-03-2011, 5:01 AM

My application is approaching 90 days as well(Monday).

Keep them wheels turning!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 8:03 AM

Brandon, I have my CCW stuff at home I'll scan it and email it to you. Do you need just the GC or everything?