Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-30-2011, 4:25 PM
CGN Contributor

I notice, on the Issuance Policy document for SM Sheriff, that us city dwellers must first apply to the Police Chief, then if the Chief concludes that there is Good Cause, the application will be forwarded to the sheriff.

I never knew that!

Then again,

In the final analysis, rights in a Republic are protected by the people themselves. If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.... Keep educating your neighbors and friends about the legacy of freedom that founded this nation and remind them what it takes to keep it free. --Don Kilmer
Old 10-06-2011, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapS View Post
I notice, on the Issuance Policy document for SM Sheriff, that us city dwellers must first apply to the Police Chief, then if the Chief concludes that there is Good Cause, the application will be forwarded to the sheriff.

I never knew that!

Then again,

No. this is not the current policy
Old 10-09-2011, 11:17 PM

Congrats!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

Nice!

Wish I had "elevated" cause I guess in a way.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM

The term "elevated cause" is just too nebulous for me to work with. I know, I SHOULD be able to work with it, but it's like trying to peel apart an onion, with a dull knife, without crying. Heh. But, I'll try anyway. All they can say is "no".
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 AM

I'll soon be getting up the nerve to apply for this as well. It's good news seeing some people getting their applications approved!
Old 10-18-2011, 3:35 AM

It's not even "nerve" for me, it's just preparing deep wells of patience and understanding in preparation to deal with their bureaucratic process (aka "bring a shovel, the ****'s deep, son.)

I realize that chances of denial are high. I also realize that over time, LTC issuance realities (if only in practice and not in the letter of the law) will change around here. It happened elsewhere, it is being pushed in other places and you cannot forever see a civil right reduced to arbitrary feelings about disbursement and practice. I'd wait longer, but Munks seems not unreasonable.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Range qualified + class today. Much shorter than I anticipated. Just waiting on the permit to be mailed to me now
Class is enjoyable even. Once you get to the range you're among gunnies.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 10-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Class is enjoyable even. Once you get to the range you're among gunnies.

-Gene
Highly enjoyable actually. Shot a nice tight, fast group on each iteration, got to shoot as fast as I wanted without a rangemaster telling me to slow down, etc
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

You Are All Ambassadors, Whether You Like It Or Not

Pain is the hardest lesson to forget; Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

Bureaucracy is the epoxy that lubricates the gears of progress.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Is there any update on what constitutes acceptable good cause?
Old 11-03-2011, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Update - Got a phone call today. App approved! Range class on the 23rd, then upon receipt of my papers from the course + range time my permit will be mailed to me. So, probably end of this month I'll have my permit.
care to share your good cause (in general, nonspecifically)??
Old 11-06-2011, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
It's happening now. I refused to give San Mateo what they wanted. at the time they didn't even want to give me an application. I look forward to seeing them have to buckle to the law and not their own ways. Giving them what they want when it's not required is only reenforcing their ideas to make it hard on all of us to get a LTC.

NOT ONE INCH!!
Hey taperxz - Did you ever get an approval or denial from SM?

I noticed norcalathlete submitted his app on 9-7-11 and was approved on 10-6-11..

From your post it seems you submitted on or before 9-10-11. Am wondering what happened and if denied their reasoning had to do with your not providing the "extras" they wanted..

Thanks,
831S
Old 12-15-2011, 8:17 AM
Veteran Member

Old 12-22-2011, 9:45 PM

Is this enough "cause" in San Mateo to get a license to carry?

* live in San Mateo
* work in San Francisco in the Tenderloin

In the Tenderloin, a month ago, 2 people got shot on our block. I regularly see people smoking crack, prostitution, crazy nut jobs, gang bangers selling drugs. About 6 months ago, I had a gangbanger take a swing (missed!) at me and talking smack about "kicking my white ***"; I was able to simply cross the street and walk away.

I'm a cool-headed guy. So, I'm not looking for trouble. Just would like to be able to carry if I'm going to be working late and going to/from the parking lot.

Thanks,
Old 12-23-2011, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nums View Post
No.
Old 12-23-2011, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nums View Post

* live in San Mateo
* work in San Francisco in the Tenderloin

In the Tenderloin, a month ago, 2 people got shot on our block. I regularly see people smoking crack, prostitution, crazy nut jobs, gang bangers selling drugs. About 6 months ago, I had a gangbanger take a swing (missed!) at me and talking smack about "kicking my white ***"; I was able to simply cross the street and walk away.

I'm a cool-headed guy. So, I'm not looking for trouble. Just would like to be able to carry if I'm going to be working late and going to/from the parking lot.

Thanks,
Maybe the Sheriff or his underlings by now realized that CCW cover the entire state of California.

My experience by their (lady detective who interviewed me) statement " We understand your need to carry in those places you mentioned, but they are all outside our jurisdiction" - Denied
Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 AM

When I first got my handgun (about 7 years ago now?), I remember taking a look at the calguns ccw map and having just a complete feeling of hopelessness. Someone mentioned I should come take another look and stopped by to expect pretty much more of the same. I am SHOCKED by how much progress you guys are making!

I'm going to start passing that Amazon link around and making sure it gets used. Those personally going through the CCW process right now, please keep us updated! I'm going to be following the thread and I'm ready to apply once it is tactically smart to do so.

Thank you to the people putting the work in. My rights thank you as well!
Old 01-18-2012, 1:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious21 View Post
I'm going to be following the thread and I'm ready to apply once it is tactically smart to do so.
Whats wrong with now?

Its been mentioned earlier in the thread that applying now is fine...
Old 01-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

Any news on the cause statements for San Mateo?

The CGF website still says:
Quote:
Known Accepted Good Cause Statements: CGF and our team of lawyers and volunteers are working to acquire copies of all accepted good cause statements. Stay tuned!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
Whats wrong with now?

Its been mentioned earlier in the thread that applying now is fine...
Quote:
If you have any sort of heightened risk as good cause, people are getting permits.

-Gene
My current cause doesn't contain "heightened risk" as far as I can tell. I also walk through shady parts of SF at night but it doesn't sound like that's justification.
Old 01-26-2012, 9:46 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

I've been thinking about applying for an LTC in San Mateo county. Does CGF need any volunteer applicants at this time?

I'm not sure if I qualify as "heightened risk". I am a business owner who frequently transports large amounts of cash and technology equipment in my vehicle.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud99 View Post
I've been thinking about applying for an LTC in San Mateo county. Does CGF need any volunteer applicants at this time?

I'm not sure if I qualify as "heightened risk". I am a business owner who frequently transports large amounts of cash and technology equipment in my vehicle.
That sort of cause is generally working. We need no volunteers particularly but would encourage you to apply with that sort of good cause.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 01-28-2012, 7:23 AM

Forgive me if this is a bit OT and a bit of a rant, feel free to delete, but with budgets shrinking on the Penninsula and local PD getting absorbed by The Sheriffs Dept. how long can this county resist issuing LTC? I have lived in San Carlos for one year now. In that year I have seen a clean town with no graffiti slowly show signs that criminals now know these areas are vulnerable. There have been two B&E Burglaries in my neighborhood this last week, I am told it has been 30 years since there has been a Break-in in our neighborhood. If the state is going bankrupt and municipalities can not provide public safety, seems like the least they could do is get out of the way of LTC....

/rant
Old 01-28-2012, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesbox View Post
Forgive me if this is a bit OT and a bit of a rant, feel free to delete, but with budgets shrinking on the Penninsula and local PD getting absorbed by The Sheriffs Dept. how long can this county resist issuing LTC? I have lived in San Carlos for one year now. In that year I have seen a clean town with no graffiti slowly show signs that criminals now know these areas are vulnerable. There have been two B&E Burglaries in my neighborhood this last week, I am told it has been 30 years since there has been a Break-in in our neighborhood. If the state is going bankrupt and municipalities can not provide public safety, seems like the least they could do is get out of the way of LTC....

/rant
Should have moved to Belmont. ;-)
Old 01-28-2012, 8:57 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Local PD in San Carlos told me they wouldn't show up when a truck driver crashed into my building and was attempting to leave the scene.

I finally got him to cooperate and give me DL and insurance info, no help from the police, but that was only because I called the company he worked for and refused to let him drive away.

Personally, Im glad the sheriff took over. I don't know if they are any better, but they can't possibly be any worse.
Old 01-28-2012, 3:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesbox View Post

/rant
Why are you not applying for your LTC? San Mateo county has been issuing for elevated good cause statements.
Old 01-30-2012, 4:58 PM

Never thought I'd have any heightened cause for an LTC but I had to go to court as an "expert witness" in a grow house prosecution recently. I didn't have to testify yet but I will soon. The DA told me as I was dismissed, "these people are out on bond/bail and do not have criminal records". My immediate thought was crap, they know who I am and I don't feel safe. Is this a heightened cause?
Old 01-30-2012, 5:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
Never thought I'd have any heightened cause for an LTC but I had to go to court as an "expert witness" in a grow house prosecution recently. I didn't have to testify yet but I will soon. The DA told me as I was dismissed, "these people are out on bond/bail and do not have criminal records". My immediate thought was crap, they know who I am and I don't feel safe. Is this a heightened cause?
It's on the edge depending on the facts of those people and whether you testify, but it's not going to hurt to try that cause.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 02-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Application is in finally. Hopefully I will hear back soon.
Old 02-15-2012, 2:32 PM

Called in yesterday and came in to do my livescan today. Now it's just waiting to see if it's approved. Tom Merson was the person to talk to and he was very nice and informative.
Old 02-24-2012, 1:21 PM
CGN Contributor

Dropped my application with the Belmont PD last Friday, haven't heard from them since. Is it too early to stop by and ask for a status?
Old 02-24-2012, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhu View Post
Dropped my application with the Belmont PD last Friday, haven't heard from them since. Is it too early to stop by and ask for a status?
Why did you give it to Belmont PD?
Old 02-24-2012, 2:01 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
Why did you give it to Belmont PD?
I didn't know at the time that I can hand it directly to the SM Sheriff. I just stopped at the Belmont PD to ask about this and they have handed me the application. When I dropped it off, they didn't really interview me, just collected it and said thanks.

Now I wonder what to do next. Shell I go back to Belmont PD and ask for status or go to the sheriff office with a new application.
Old 02-24-2012, 2:10 PM

Quote:
I didn't know at the time that I can hand it directly to the SM Sheriff. I just stopped at the Belmont PD to ask about this and they have handed me the application. When I dropped it off, they didn't really interview me, just collected it and said thanks.

Now I wonder what to do next. Shell I go back to Belmont PD and ask for status or go to the sheriff office with a new application.
That's an interesting question, to which I don't know the answer. I suppose you could ask to voluntarily withdraw the application and resubmit it to SMCSO. That shouldn't count as a "denial", so I don't think that would matter.

Unless someone else already knows, I should see if I can arrange a time to talk to the chief. I've no idea what his stand is on CHL's, other than the blurb on the BPD web site. I was surprised when I went down there to get my prints rolled for AZ and found that they had the apps on hand and ready to hand out.

When I was a kid, several of the rank-and-file BPD officers were pro-2A, but that was some decades ago. No idea now.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Even when you apply directly to the SMSD, the process is likely to take 3-4 months, patience is a virtue
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Even when you apply directly to the SMSD, the process is likely to take 3-4 months, patience is a virtue
I'm assuming from what I've read in this subforum and in others, that a good part of the wait involves a Livescan return.

Can anyone tell me why it takes so long to get the livescan results? When my friends took the bar exam a few years ago (2006), the State Bar had results in days, not months.

I'll temper that with I have no idea how fingerprint-based checks proceed or what exactly they involve. But the State Bar is doing the same sorts of checks that the Sheriff is doing, FBI, State, inserting microscope up your backside, etc.

In fact, come to think of it, some of the questions on the CHL app are reminiscent of bar application (the moral character part) questions and inquiries. Too bad a determination on one can't substitute for the other.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
I'm assuming from what I've read in this subforum and in others, that a good part of the wait involves a Livescan return.
Can anyone tell me why it takes so long to get the livescan results? When my friends took the bar exam a few years ago (2006), the State Bar had results in days, not months.
I'll temper that with I have no idea how fingerprint-based checks proceed or what exactly they involve. But the State Bar is doing the same sorts of checks that the Sheriff is doing, FBI, State, inserting microscope up your backside, etc.
In fact, come to think of it, some of the questions on the CHL app are reminiscent of bar application (the moral character part) questions and inquiries. Too bad a determination on one can't substitute for the other.
~1 mo to get called to interview
~1 mo to get results from live scan (and approval/denial from Sheriff)
~1 mo to get into the class/qualification
~1 mo to get your permit.

give or take a couple of weeks for each step.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
~1 mo to get called to interview
~1 mo to get results from live scan (and approval/denial from Sheriff)
~1 mo to get into the class/qualification
~1 mo to get your permit.

give or take a couple of weeks for each step.
Oh. Well, the interview happens (now, at least, and assuming you call ahead) when you drop off the app. So that 30 day wait goes out the window. Fill in the boxes and bubbles, make a call, show up, burn an hour talking to the nice man and getting livescanned.

Still seems odd that in this digital age, a livescan takes 4 weeks to complete, though I don't disbelieve you.
Old 02-28-2012, 8:28 PM

Hey y'all. Been following this thread for a lil while, especially glad to see some fellow San Carlos residents here.

I received an email today which motivated me to finally join CalGuns and get in on it. The Greater East San Carlos board is concerned about the recent rise of crime in our area, namely, the small neighborhood on the wrong side of the tracks. They have sent this out:

Dear Greater East San Carlos residents,

There have been several burglaries in the neighborhood over the past year, and as a result the GESC Board has requested a community meeting with the San Carlos Police Department to discuss what the neighborhood can do in cooperation with the Police Department. Captain Greg Rothaus will meet with us March 1, 2012 7:00-to 8:30 p.m. at the Laureola Community Center. The Agenda for the evening is as follows:

1) History and trends of crime in San Carlos.

2) History and trends of crime in Greater East San Carlos neighborhood.

3) San Mateo County Alert System.

4) The Neighborhood Watch Program.

5) Other issues of concern to the GESC neighborhood that the Police should be aware of.

We encourage you to come and participate. Please speak with you neighbors and encourage them to attend as well. The key to a safe neighborhood is residents watching out for other residents in cooperation with the Police. Please come and learn how to be more involved in improving your neighborhoods safety.

See you there.

Sam Herzberg, GESC Board Member

Would this be a venue that could be utilized to further my quest for a CCL? Specifically, ask the Police Chief directly if living in my neighborhood would provide me with good cause for a CCL?

I am planning on attending and would be willing to meet up with any fellow CalGunners in case they were thinking about it too.

A CCW is like a seatbelt, would rather have one than not; if this provides a small window for me to obtain one, I'd like to take it. I do not want to cause a ruckus though, should this be a poor venue to advance my cause so I am here seeking advice.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Just FYI, it took me one day to get an "interview" which consisted of me calling and asking when I could come in. I did my livescan on 2/15 and got an email today that my results were back and my application is being forwarded up the chain. We'll see how long it takes to get a decision, but things seem to be moving pretty fast.