Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-11-2021, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Because it's generally the very first thing they want and it's human nature to anticipate that is my guess.
And yet how many “prepared” people have ever been thanked for having the paperwork already in their hand? A few, maybe?Has a LEO ever been mad that they have to ask for “license, registration, and proof of insurance?” If they perform a stop; it’s their job to ask for those things.. if that’s too much work maybe they shouldn’t be performing a traffic stop.

My point is, some folks are intelligent about it and keep paperwork in somewhere like their visor: it’s easy to grab and there is no fumbling around or potentially odd movements going on in the car before/as a LEO walks up to a car. Having personally performed (tens?) of thousands of traffic stops, I can say from first hand experience most people who try to be “prepared” don’t do so smoothly/quickly. They often looked like the people who were actually trying to/hiding contraband.

People can do what they want; I just don’t think having paperwork in hand by the time a LEO walks up to a car during a traffic stop should be some kind of important goal for most folks the way some preach it to be.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 03-11-2021, 9:40 AM

If a cop is going to pull me over for whatever reason, he or she will have to ask me what they want. I won't offer up anything. I'll put all of the windows down (unless it's raining), put my hands on the wheel, be respectful, and wait for instructions. Very simple.
Old 03-11-2021, 6:14 PM

I've been told "thanks" and "don't tell me, I don't want to know" by different CHP's.
Every cop I've ever talked with has their own take on the subject.
Old 03-18-2021, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

Do not need to state unless asked
Old 03-18-2021, 8:24 PM

Default bad advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by static2126 View Post
Do not need to state unless asked
That's real bad advise for sure. Some IA's require you do disclose immediately.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:56 PM

The Sheriff in my county says to present the CCW card upon contact with all law enforcement when asked for your ID, regardless if you're carrying or not.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:04 AM
Professional Cat Herder
CGN Contributor

My county:

Restrictions Applicable to All Sacramento Sheriff’s Office Permit Holders (Permit will be invalid if violated):
-Not valid if consuming alcohol or remaining at any establishment that primarily serves alcohol.
-No permitted weapon is allowed where weapons are prohibited by law.
-No permitted weapon is allowed at locations where a sign is posted prohibiting weapons.
-The Sheriff may impose additional restrictions.

-During any law enforcement contact, you are required to disclose your status as a CCW permit holder and you must disclose whether or not you are carrying a weapon on your person or otherwise present.
Failure by the CCW Permit Holder to adhere to these restrictions will result in the revocation of the CCW Permit.
-Arthur C. Clarke

Have a property to sell, or looking to buy (even if new construction)? Have a fellow Calgunner help you on your next endeavor!
Need a refi? PM me. My brother owns a lender- I personally will make sure you are getting the best deal.
Old 03-19-2021, 4:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFAN IN OC View Post
That's real bad advise for sure. Some IA's require you do disclose immediately.
Good point. Where I am we don't need to state unless asked.
Old 03-19-2021, 8:08 AM
Veteran Member

I'm always wearing my CCW sash.
Old 03-19-2021, 8:46 AM

Sac county requires you to disclose it regardless. Only issue you will get is an earful if you say you aren't carrying. If you are in your own issuing agencies service area, they know if you have a permit or not when they run your info.
Old 03-25-2021, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I'd recommend presenting the permit with the drivers license, no need to say I have a permit, or gun or CCW. Just present the permit with the license. Perhaps say you need to see this too.

I haven’t been pulled over in many years, but I did get stopped a time or two while I was carrying. Above is what I always did. I kept my permit in my wallet along with my DL, and always just handed them over together usually saying something like “Here’s my license, and another document you need to see.” Thats it. Most times the officer asked me if I was carrying and where the gun was, and that’s it. Once he said “obviously don’t go reaching for anything, I’ll be right back”. It’s really not an issue, if anything I suppose it may have put them slightly at ease knowing I’m not some violent criminal.

If you’re not carrying, idk. Call your IA and ask. But for sure if you are, never ever fail to disclose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2021, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrock View Post
I haven’t been pulled over in many years, but I did get stopped a time or two while I was carrying. Above is what I always did. I kept my permit in my wallet along with my DL, and always just handed them over together usually saying something like “Here’s my license, and another document you need to see.” Thats it. Most times the officer asked me if I was carrying and where the gun was, and that’s it. Once he said “obviously don’t go reaching for anything, I’ll be right back”. It’s really not an issue, if anything I suppose it may have put them slightly at ease knowing I’m not some violent criminal.

If you’re not carrying, idk. Call your IA and ask. But for sure if you are, never ever fail to disclose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No kidding. Some states I get that anyone can carry, but here all the hoops we jump through and background checks really ought to say something about those with a CA CCW.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 04-01-2021, 9:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My IA requires notification for any official police contact when carrying. If I get pulled over while carrying, I tell the cop that I have an LTC before anything else is said/done.

One other thing is that I have changed carrying my wallet to my off side, back pocket so that I never accidently flash my holstered firearm when reaching for my wallet.

You think that quitting smoking is hard? Try switching which rear pocket you carry your wallet in. After 12 years it still feels like I'm sitting crooked at my desk.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 04-01-2021, 9:50 AM

Why are you getting stopped? Most people don't get stopped by the police unless they catch the attention of the police, usually for doing something they shouldn't be doing. If you get stopped it's doubtful after seeing your DL/Reg/POI that they just say have a nice day and drive safe. You got stopped for a reason.

If you have a CCW it should be a rare thing that you ever get stopped by the police, you're supposed to be the one in good standing, following the law and being inconspicuous, not speeding, not creeping through stop signs, not driving around with broken tail lights, etc and not attracting attention.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
Why are you getting stopped? Most people don't get stopped by the police unless they catch the attention of the police, usually for doing something they shouldn't be doing. If you get stopped it's doubtful after seeing your DL/Reg/POI that they just say have a nice day and drive safe. You got stopped for a reason.

If you have a CCW it should be a rare thing that you ever get stopped by the police, you're supposed to be the one in good standing, following the law and being inconspicuous, not speeding, not creeping through stop signs, not driving around with broken tail lights, etc and not attracting attention.
Sometimes it happens.

Maybe one drives on a slow day through Irvine. Who knows

NRA RSO and Pistol, Shotgun, PPITH, PPOTH Instructor
Old 04-01-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Sometimes it happens.

Maybe one drives on a slow day through Irvine. Who knows
You might not like the reason but there is always a reason. It's important to know why you have been stopped by the police, for your own protection otherwise ignorance is bliss applies.
Old 04-03-2021, 3:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post

The last three times that I've been stopped, two have been for speeding and once the Santa Monica cop never told me why. He asked for license, registration and insurance and I handed over my LTC with my license and the Santa Monica Cop just said "OK", handed me back my papers and drove off. I got one speeding ticket from a CHP, one "Slow down, have a nice day" from a LA County Sheriff deputy.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 04-03-2021 at 3:31 PM..
Old 04-03-2021, 4:26 PM

Cops I know say the same thing; if someone has a CCW permit- they're likely getting a quick pass. We got enough bad guys to worry about, not going to screw with the good folks that have passed backgrounds and jumped through the hoops, plenty of other folks will earn a ticket in minutes.
Old 04-03-2021, 4:44 PM

Why would you get stopped.. ****, I am asked for my license or pulled over at a weigh station for an inspection several times a month, I know a few of the CHP officers at the weigh stations by name. I do nothing wrong, No violations, just part of the job. Hell, I got pulled over by a cop once in my car, he got right on my *** with light and sirens, got out his car and started screaming at me like he wanted to kick my ***, turns out he got me mixed up with some speeder that got away from him in a car that looked like mine, I did nothing wrong but I still got pulled over suspected of running from a cop.

I accidentally handed a cop my credit card once when he asked for my driver's license. I wonder if he thought it was some kind of attempted bribe?

I drive a truck so I even notify the CHP at the weigh station if ever I am asked for my license or asked to park for an inspection. Any "Official" interaction with a cop when you are actively carrying. I was not sure about The weigh station as it is not like I am being pulled over on the road after some kind of traffic violation but my IA (Local Sheriff) told me that I should notify even at the weigh station. When I do they never care or want to see my permit. It is basically," My IA blah blah, do you need to see my permit" Response from CHP, "No, Just your DL" They never ask where the carry is or seem to care one little bit. On the occasions I am not actively carrying, There is no need to mention CCW at all. The point is, they do not want to be "Surprised" by your gun, If you are not carrying or have your gun in the car then there is no point to bring it up at all.

"If you are the smartest guy in the room, find some other room to hang out in."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 04-03-2021 at 5:04 PM..
Old 04-15-2021, 9:56 AM

When I went to pick up my CCW (LA County), the deputy made a point of mentioning that if I have an encounter with a LEO, to always let them know I have a CCW and then to send an email to the LASD CCW office regarding the incident, whatever it is.
Old 04-15-2021, 6:26 PM

I’ve been pulled over once since acquiring my CCW. I was out of State. I had my DL and CCW license in hand before LEO got to my window. He asked if I knew why I was being stopped. I gave my version, and handed him both ID’s and said “these are of equal importance, let me know how you would like to proceed”. Returning from his car, his demeanor had completely changed. He asked where I was headed, and directed me to the bar at the end of the block, for “the best coffee in town”. It was early morning. No citation.
Old 04-21-2021, 4:43 PM

I've heard of permit leading to less chance of being ticketed... I of course would never do anything to warrent a ticket....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Women teachers are "liberated and empowered." They are embolden so much by our current society that they can wave their vagina around like a flag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
I treat all people the same until they open their big mouths and make me feel otherwise.