Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-10-2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickybillegas View Post
In the statement it singles out schools, colleges, places of worship and places of protest or demonstration. It omits 'places of business'. If they keep places of business out of their actual bill, it won't be nearly as bad as the last one SB918.

The places of business, or 'private property' is by far the worst restriction, since that is almost everywhere.

Of course as others have said, this is just a place holder.
I'm hoping after talking to all the new members, Portantino realizes the
places of business thing is a no deal. Here's hoping that is the case.
Since whatever the bill is, it is almost certain to pass and then go through the endless lawsuit/court process. As per NY, we know some judge will put a an injunction, and then another anti-gun will issue a stay pending trial, and then Meanwhile, we will have to live with the bill as approved by state until someday it's ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS.
One of my dearest friends was murdered in church just months ago in Orange County. I’ve carried in church ever since. I don’t understand why people who hate churches are so obsessed with making church members vulnerable. Oh, wait, I just answered my own question.
Old 12-10-2022, 7:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
Hope is not a plan. Before you can see the wisdom in others you must first realize and understand why the status quo that doesn't work, doesn't produce yet uses vast resources constitutes the foundation of your belief system.

Losing becomes a habit and for some a badge of honor. It relies upon the compassion and sympathy for the permanent victim class, something gun owners who support the 2nd/A are slowly becoming.

When you realize that gun owners who support the 2nd/A as more than privilege are a diminishing demographic and that lawsuits against laws only serve to help create more laws you'll have learned.

Why is it that like some others who mimic each other, you'll support the fight over CCWs, knowing that it's a fact that the CCW is a privilege subject to arbitrary feelings on individuals and not throw your support to even finding other solutions? First, accept that the current strategy is flawed and perhaps not the best way or even the way that has the greatest potential for success to insure rights may be exercised and then you'll be in a position to discuss alternatives. Until then, its nothing more than the smiling man who is set in his ways, will never change or learn but pretends to be interested in what others have to say.

Change what your family, friends and neighbors think AND influence them to do more than nod and smile but instead openly speak about the 2nd/A not as it relates not to Muh Guns, some AWB, magazines, the roster and CCWs but rather how without it none of the other rights they have mean anything and that exercising the right and having the right are not the same. The state will not change in a short time but we didn't get to this point in a short time. Its so predictable for people to sit around watching something happen over decades and then marvel at the "We Won" when a court renders a decision. They want the same gratification so long as they must do nothing other than claim support and send money to someone else.

The motto for some should be "I was there, I support the 2nd/A because I sit on my *** and let lawyers deal with it". Things are the way they are because of lawyers who long ago gave up their profession and noble responsibility and instead saw power and money that comes from the pursuit of process.

Let go of the Status Quo!

Welcome to my block list where you can ramble on forever and I’ll never know.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 12-10-2022, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packy14 View Post
Welcome to my block list where you can ramble on forever and I’ll never know.
Thanks for the quote, each one helps.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
What is your “best solution”? What is your recommendation for, “…any other type of effort”?

Twenty-five words or less, please.

No reason to clog up the thread for this bill.

Thanks.

This bill will pass, no way to stop it entirely, but fight to avoid the immediate urgency implementation. This gives a year to fight it in court. I don't see a better plan.
Old 12-11-2022, 2:54 PM

I'm feeling pretty confident. After all, if ya'll gonna expel this much energy bickering among yourselves, then I can only imagine how much you're directing towards the opposition.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelh1951 View Post
This bill will pass, no way to stop it entirely, but fight to avoid the immediate urgency implementation. This gives a year to fight it in court. I don't see a better plan.
EXACTLY!!!
Old 12-14-2022, 8:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

SF Examiner on 2A, SCOTUS, NYSRPA, CA CCWs and Sacto response.

https://www.sfexaminer.com/our_partn...0b8c9fab0.html
Old 12-15-2022, 2:46 AM

That was a very honest article
Old 12-19-2022, 10:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelh1951 View Post
Who will be leading the legislative fight against it: NRA-ILA? CRPA? GOA/GOC? FPC? some other group?

We have to make sure it does NOT get urgency status!
Old 12-19-2022, 4:10 PM

I suspect that even if Portantino has second thoughts after what is happening in NY and Or, the Governor will push him to propose a clearly unconstitutional ban much like the law that did not pass last session. Unfortunately, the trial court decisions in NY have been stayed pending appeal, even though those appeals are from an order issuing a preliminary injunction, and not a judgment on the merits. Those cases will likely be delayed indefinitely to allow the law to remain in place as long as possible before it too must bite the dust. WE need all the help we can get. The sooner St. Benitez rules on the pending remands, the better.
Old 12-23-2022, 6:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
Unfortunately, the trial court decisions in NY have been stayed pending appeal, even though those appeals are from an order issuing a preliminary injunction, and not a judgment on the merits.
The stay of the PI in Antonyuk 2 was appealed to SCOTUS yesterday.

Quote:
Those cases will likely be delayed indefinitely to allow the law to remain in place as long as possible before it too must bite the dust. WE need all the help we can get. The sooner St. Benitez rules on the pending remands, the better.
”Speedy” Benitez will take those four cases on Feb 20th.

So, help is on the way, but it’s always better to kill bad legislation before it becomes law than to count on the courts to kill it after.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-23-2022 at 7:03 AM..
Old 12-23-2022, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

So, help is on the way, but it’s always better to kill bad legislation before it becomes law than to count on the courts to kill it after.

Yes, very true.
Look how long the citizenry has suffered under Roberti-Roos. Over three decades.
Old 12-23-2022, 9:08 AM

Quote:

It's always better to avoid the proposed legislation in the first place by denying support for it though a changed voting population, however; that takes more than status quo thinking and effort.

Reaction is always slower than action, hope is not a plan and a good defense can be overcome through persistence and attrition. The status quo waits, then reacts and basks in the limelight look at me heroics.

When your rights count, lawsuits are only decades away.

Action is measured in minutes, reaction in decades.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.

Last edited by SharedShots; 12-23-2022 at 9:11 AM..
Old 12-23-2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:

Why does everybody think Benitez has the last say in the outcome. Everyone knows this will not go our way when the state appeal. Geesh.
Old 12-27-2022, 6:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanejsl View Post
Why does everybody think Benitez has the last say in the outcome. Everyone knows this will not go our way when the state appeal. Geesh.
Because everyone knows this will go our way if SCOTUS takes an appeal from a CA9 loss. Geesh.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
Time to hit the government emails for your folks in Sacramento
A complete waste of time, they absolutely could not care less what we think.

Dan
Old 12-31-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Because everyone knows this will go our way if SCOTUS takes an appeal from a CA9 loss. Geesh.
...in 14 years again.
Old 01-01-2023, 3:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
...in 14 years again.
NYSRPA v Bruen took about 4 years from District Court to SCOTUS win.

SCOTUS is considering taking the Antonyuk 2 PI appeal right now.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1837575

Trump justices have changed the game in a good way.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-01-2023 at 4:35 PM..
Old 01-02-2023, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Of course ,it's back and it will continue to come back over and over until they get it done.
At this point I don't believe the libtard dems in Sacramento actually care if these get done or not. They keep bringing them back because it satisfies the infantile expectations of their base, and that means that even if struck down, they can reassign blame to SCOTUS... and currently that means blame Trump and MAGA people.

Quote:
It's hard to accept that most Californians don't care about your CCW, how could they not think it's better when you with your CCW are out there protecting the American way of life.
These people, and the millions more of now indoctrinated younger Americans do not give a hoot about "The American way of life". They look to nations like Sweden, China, and anywhere where they want the state to have full control of their lives; they are willing to be led around by the nose...although a masked nose. Just as long as they get their free stuff, and the newest iPhone with all the apps, they are happy and content while worshiping the "new god" of climate protection.

California is a lost state. Those of us who still live here are basically as "Wolverines" from the film Red Dawn. This is our home, and it is now in enemy territory.

I enjoyed the passion in your post. I just think we need to start acting as cynical as they do, but in the opposite direction. This new "placeholder" should be ignored. If they really feel every public place should be considered "sensitive" then they need to start with dealing with the open drug use, illegal aliens, and criminals near schools, parks, churches, and other public buildings.
Old 01-09-2023, 7:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Here’s a link to a page that links to a lot more than just its text (e.g., it’s status): https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...d=202320240SB2

Last edited by Paladin; 01-09-2023 at 7:31 PM..
Old 01-09-2023, 7:48 PM

Quote:
NYSRPA v Bruen took about 4 years from District Court to SCOTUS win.

SCOTUS is considering taking the Antonyuk 2 PI appeal right now.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1837575

Trump justices have changed the game in a good way.
I appreciate your optimism and I am aware of how long it took for Bruen to move through the district court to SCOTUS.

But before Bruen, remind us how long it took SCOTUS to hear a 2A case?

Hint... a long time.

And relative to the PI appeal of the Antonyuk case. Crickets. Still waiting. We will see.

Last edited by Lanejsl; 01-09-2023 at 7:49 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 01-09-2023, 10:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Quote:
Here’s a link to a page that links to a lot more than just its text (e.g., it’s status): https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...d=202320240SB2

Those appear to be identical links…
Old 01-10-2023, 12:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I appreciate your optimism and I am aware of how long it took for Bruen to move through the district court to SCOTUS.

But before Bruen, remind us how long it took SCOTUS to hear a 2A case?

Hint... a long time.
That was because we did not have a pro RBA majority on SCOTUS: Kennedy was commonly thought to be against it and even Roberts wasn’t a sure bet. Now we have a pro RBA majority even if Roberts wimps out.

Quote:
And relative to the PI appeal of the Antonyuk case. Crickets. Still waiting. We will see.
And when was the PI appeal fully briefed? Jan 5th. And you’re posting about crickets 4 days later and 2 of those days were a weekend?

Last edited by Paladin; 01-10-2023 at 12:22 PM..
Old 01-10-2023, 12:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Those appear to be identical links…
Appearances can be deceiving.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:33 PM

No text yet. Perhaps the Dems are waiting for the NYS cases to run their course, or they plan on dumping this on us late in the session so that it can hustled through the process will little time for debate--a la NYS.
Old 01-10-2023, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
No text yet. Perhaps the Dems are waiting for the NYS cases to run their course, or they plan on dumping this on us late in the session so that it can hustled through the process will little time for debate--a la NYS.
This is not uncommon. The legislative deadline to amend bills isn’t for another two months. Also, this bill couldn’t be heard in committee anyhow before 30 days from the time of introduction. Policy committees have until May 5th to hear bills. Lots of time to jerk us around. They are trying to craft a measure that doesn’t get law enforcement to come out in opposition the bill this time.
Old 01-11-2023, 8:46 AM

Quote:
That was because we did not have a pro RBA majority on SCOTUS: Kennedy was commonly thought to be against it and even Roberts wasn’t a sure bet. Now we have a pro RBA majority even if Roberts wimps out.

You were saying? Motion DENIED.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...2a557_0pm1.pdf

And when was the PI appeal fully briefed? Jan 5th. And you’re posting about crickets 4 days later and 2 of those days were a weekend?
Old 01-11-2023, 4:36 PM

Default Bad news for us

The Supremes let NY's restrictive new law take effect (didn't overturn an Appeals Court decision on a PI) while the challenges work their way through the legal system.

Bad news as the new rules are worse than the batch that was ruled against in Bruen.

Watch our legislature follow along...

Yes, you can have a CCW. It will cost you more, put you through more hoops to get, and won't let you carry anywhere... but you can get one.
Old 01-11-2023, 4:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
"Over the past several years, a wealth of empirical studies have shown that crime is higher when more people carry firearms in public places."

Note the word "empirical", which means "based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic."

Which means there is no factual proof, it's based on opinion.
No, empirical does, in fact, imply it is evidence based.

The proof failure is not because "empirical" means "opinion", rather, because evidence gathering is just that. Evidence, not proof.

And even if the evidence is good (not cherry picked, no confirmation bias, etc), empirical evidence often shows correlation, not causation.

To wit:

crime -> more carry or
more carry -> crime

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 01-12-2023, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911-CV View Post
The Supremes let NY's restrictive new law take effect (didn't overturn an Appeals Court decision on a PI) while the challenges work their way through the legal system.

Bad news as the new rules are worse than the batch that was ruled against in Bruen.

Watch our legislature follow along...
Not what we were hoping for. However, there's a chance the NY District Court and/or CA2 issue an actual opinion prior to CA moving this along too far. SCOTUS did essentially tell CA2 to tread carefully and invited another appeal to intervein if it doesn't. Not ideal, but a lot better than a straight denial.
Old 01-12-2023, 9:32 AM

These legislators have legions of volunteer lawyers from all the anti-gun groups helping them craft legislation. They will introduce draconian rules. And it will pass. They personally have nothing to loose and everything to gain in signally their virtual and pacifying their far left base.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mural9999 View Post
These legislators have legions of volunteer lawyers from all the anti-gun groups helping them craft legislation. They will introduce draconian rules. And it will pass. They personally have nothing to loose and everything to gain in signally their virtual and pacifying their far left base.
There is a huge caveat to this. If the Second and Third start upholding injunctions against these laws--and the Supreme Court has signaled that interim appeals WILL be handled expeditiously or else, then the other liberal circuits as well as the legislatures in those states will sit up and take notice. I also think the Supreme Court has implied that it will play an active role in assuring that Bruen is observed, especially what the liberal circuits did to Heller and McDonald.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If Mark Smith says we did well before SCOTUS, I believe him.

https://youtu.be/TR3qhC0_tN0

If you claim to be more qualified than he is, let’s hear it. (crickets….)

This debate belongs in the Antonyuk2 thread and is Off Topic in this thread.

Old 01-12-2023, 1:52 PM

I read an article a few days ago about the LGBT community concerned about their safety and how a good number of them are applying for ccw. Also, that there are a number of new LGBT members of the Ca. legislature.

I'm hoping our legislature pays attention and that the new LGBT members vote no on SB-2. That may be enough to get us under the 2/3 at least for urgency. Remember, last time it only lost by one vote. Super close.
Old 01-12-2023, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickybillegas View Post
I read an article a few days ago about the LGBT community concerned about their safety and how a good number of them are applying for ccw. Also, that there are a number of new LGBT members of the Ca. legislature.

I'm hoping our legislature pays attention and that the new LGBT members vote no on SB-2. That may be enough to get us under the 2/3 at least for urgency. Remember, last time it only lost by one vote. Super close.
That would be great but I have a really hard time believing the LGBT groups will come out in official opposition to the bill.
Old 01-13-2023, 9:51 AM

Quote:
That would be great but I have a really hard time believing the LGBT groups will come out in official opposition to the bill.
You may be right, but remember, it may only take one 1, or 2 , or 3 coming to our side to vote against urgency.

Also, they may be in favor of most of the language, but be inclined against some of the most restrictive aspects.

Like last year, this bill will be tossed around and amended before votes are actually taken. With a number of new legislators, Bonta and Portantino will need to get every new one on their side.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:40 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

When will the final vote and passing or failing of this mess of a bill take place?

Old 01-13-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
When will the final vote and passing or failing of this mess of a bill take place?
Apr 28 is the last day for bills to be heard in Policy Committees. If this goes to Fiscal, that’s another step. In between, it has to go back to the Floor for 2d and 3d Readings and then to the Assembly.

They’re busy swapping office perks for votes in both the Senate and the Assembly as well as trying to read the tea leaves from New York.
Old 01-13-2023, 1:43 PM

Quote:
There is an organization called Pink Pistols
Old 01-13-2023, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash359 View Post
There is an organization called Pink Pistols
The founder of the Pink Pistols killed himself with a gun (not a good look) in the same year that Pink Pistols merged with Operation Blazing Sword.

Operation Blazing Sword still has a presence in CA.