Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2022, 8:16 AM

Default Turner's Santa Maria store - overcharged fee and lock

I bought a pistol at the Turner's in Santa Maria. After I left the store I noted I was charged for an extra lock, I was not sure why since salesman never mentioned it. On the day of pickup I stated I wanted to purchase ammo. I have the following concerns:
1) I was picking up a firearm and also purchased ammo, yet I was charged an extra $1 on my ammo receipt for a DOJ background fee, I believe this is an illegal charge since I already paid a background fee on the pistol. I didn't notice until after I left the store so not sure why this happened.
2) I was charged for a lock but never received it. The pistol came with a lock so the question is why did Turner's charge me for a Turner's lock without asking me if I wanted it, and why did they fail to give it to me?

Last edited by colt11; 04-26-2022 at 8:19 AM..
Old 04-26-2022, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Did you go back and ask them?

Usually they ask if you want to buy ammo when you picked up.

I’m guessing you got a newbie and didn’t know what he was doing.

iTrader
Old 04-26-2022, 9:23 AM

The charge for the ammo is correct but not the lock
Old 04-26-2022, 10:04 AM

Hopefully they offered you the "safe affidavit" option for the lock requirement.

Some factory guns include locks that are not CA certified. So you have to either buy one, or complete the safe affidavit.

If you buy a lock - they usually keep the non-certified lock.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
The charge for the ammo is correct but not the lock
That sounds odd that after paying a $40 background fee the State charges another $1 because of the ammo. I thought there was no charge for ammo if done when picking up a pistol.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:08 AM
Calguns Addict

The lock that came with the gun may not be a CA legal lock, it which case, they need to sell you one. If you paid for it, you should have recieved it.
Old 04-26-2022, 5:00 PM
Banned

#1 was incorrect. Your original dros should allow you to purchase ammo during pickup. Unless recently Turner's change their policy on that.

#2. You should be giving a lock if you paid for one. there could be all kinds of reason why you were charged. If the factory lock is not CA approve or whomever push the wrong button on POS or less knowledge employee assume to charge everyone a lock. However, you did NOT look at your receipt or dispute only to find out "after I left the store". Don't take the wrong way but its your blunder for not checking what you're paying. Chalk it up as a $7 tip or go back to the store and get your $1 + lock back. Personally I would keep the experience in mind before patronage again. My time worth more.
Old 05-01-2022, 8:58 PM

I was contacted by the Turner's District Manager, here's his solution:

Thanks for sending this to me.

The locks that come with CZ pistols are not California approved unfortunately. Just like there is a handgun roster, there is also a roster of approved locks which we must use.

I was able to find the receipt for the ammo; I see the additional charge. Not sure why that happened; looks like it was completed about an hour prior to the firearm pickup. Could have been confusion on our end.

I am happy to give you the lock you purchased and pay you your dollar back. I'll also make up for the inconvenience with some ammo or a gift card, your choice. I will actually be in Santa Maria tomorrow afternoon-Wednesday afternoon if you want to swing by while I'm there.

Thank you,

David XXXXXX
District Manager
Turner's Outdoorsman

So if I go in I can get a dollar back, a Turner's lock, and some free stuff, but I need to return to the store, what does everyone think?
Old 05-01-2022, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt11 View Post
I was contacted by the Turner's District Manager, here's his solution:

Thanks for sending this to me.

The locks that come with CZ pistols are not California approved unfortunately. Just like there is a handgun roster, there is also a roster of approved locks which we must use.

I was able to find the receipt for the ammo; I see the additional charge. Not sure why that happened; looks like it was completed about an hour prior to the firearm pickup. Could have been confusion on our end.

I am happy to give you the lock you purchased and pay you your dollar back. I'll also make up for the inconvenience with some ammo or a gift card, your choice. I will actually be in Santa Maria tomorrow afternoon-Wednesday afternoon if you want to swing by while I'm there.

Thank you,

David XXXXXX
District Manager
Turner's Outdoorsman

So if I go in I can get a dollar back, a Turner's lock, and some free stuff, but I need to return to the store, what does everyone think?
Looks like they’re doing right to fix the issue and actually looked into it.
You going in could be a teachable moment for the team so it doesn’t happen to anyone else again, plus looks like they’ll make it worthwhile if you go.

iTrader
Old 05-01-2022, 10:54 PM
Banned

Dave is a cool guy. Go get your $25-$50 GC if you are available. Told you it was most likely #2 lol.