Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-03-2014, 9:04 AM

Back in the mid/late 70's, I fought forest fires for a few summers for the USFS. Our primary meals from our cache were left over c-rats, dated early to mid 50's. Other than staying away from the Spanish rice, everything else seemed to be ok.
It used to crack me up, the way the govt labeled the cans, ie- "Ham, Sliced, Cooked with juices"

So obviously some canned goods hold their own for awhile... And I still carry a trusty P38 can opener on my key ring.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Love your selective CHERRY PICKING eyesight and reading abilities. You missed it once and I made it GIANT RED letters. Lets see if you miss it again.

I DONT GIVE A CRAP HOW ITS CANNED AND FOR HOW LONG. I DONT CARE IF ITS CANNED 16X AT 1000F DEGREES.
ITS NOT THE AGE ITS THE HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In tropical countries, where the storage temperatures may exceed 25°C, specific canned products for tropical conditions are manufactured. In these cases the summary F-values have to be increased to F-value 12-151, which permits safe storage of the finished products under storage temperatures up to 40°C.

------>>>>>High temperatures (over 100 °F) are harmful to canned goods. The risk of spoilage jumps sharply as storage temperatures rise. In fact,----->>>>>> canned goods designed for use in the tropics are specially manufactured.

Like I said.....Chow down! Enjoy!
WOW, I sure called it when I previously stated, "even with this info direct from the horse's mouth, the internet commandos won't give up on their beloved FUD".

My eyesight is just fine PC and I didn't miss your infantile use of crayons to attempt to make the point the first time. No matter how much you web yell and decorate your words on screen you are still wrong. Risk of spoilage is NOT the same as the risk of botulism.

I am typing this real slow just for you PC......Botulism is the result of improper canning and has nothing to do with how the food was stored afterwards. The spores are introduced during the canning process and are only an issue if that process is performed incorrectly. As long as the canning process was completed correctly (dead spores) the temperature of future storage has no impact on botulism as the spores CAN'T come back to life.

Now as others have have posted (and I agree), spoilage is definitely something to be aware of especially in high heat areas. Though the facts are that "spoilage" is usually obvious just from handling the can and is UNMISTAKABLE once the can's seal has been breached. So not much chance of someone eating spoiled food in any event.

To reiterate what I posted earlier, there is PLENTY of non-tropical spec, commercially-canned food stored in high heat conditions out here in the desert (weekend cabins/RVs/garages/etc) and we aren't dropping like flies from botulism.
Old 04-04-2014, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Canned foods are good for decades. People have just forgotten that in this day and age of just-in-time delivery of everything, government requirements for expiration dates, and idiotic "organic" advertizing schemes.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Love your selective CHERRY PICKING eyesight and reading abilities. You missed it once and I made it GIANT RED letters. Lets see if you miss it again.

I DONT GIVE A CRAP HOW ITS CANNED AND FOR HOW LONG. I DONT CARE IF ITS CANNED 16X AT 1000F DEGREES.
ITS NOT THE AGE ITS THE HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In tropical countries, where the storage temperatures may exceed 25°C, specific canned products for tropical conditions are manufactured. In these cases the summary F-values have to be increased to F-value 12-151, which permits safe storage of the finished products under storage temperatures up to 40°C.

------>>>>>High temperatures (over 100 °F) are harmful to canned goods. The risk of spoilage jumps sharply as storage temperatures rise. In fact,----->>>>>> canned goods designed for use in the tropics are specially manufactured.

Like I said.....Chow down! Enjoy!
PC, I honestly don't know where you gleaned this information (with regards to different canning processes for the tropics) but it is just not correct for the commercial canning industry. Del Monte, ConAgra and every other major cannery I have worked with as a consultant for the past twenty plus years as a process engineer does not change it's process for the sales region it's going to based on the climatology.

The only thing that the humidity would cause an issue with is corrosion of the tinplate and seals. On the other hand, storing in less than ideal (within 45-80 deg F) will cause a rapid degradation of the nutritional properties and the palatabity (flavor).

I do not condone either the extended storage, or the storage in less than ideal conditions, of commercially canned goods. However, the idea that consuming canned goods that have expired dates a few years old or that were stored in less than ideal conditions is a dangerous practice. Again, not IDEAL, but it's not like playing Russian roulette with botulism or any other potential food-borne hazard.

When it comes to eating a can of chili that had expired five years ago or starving, I think the last thing anyone is worried about is getting ill from eating expired goods.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:30 PM

Kingosat, with all due respect your experience and knowledge in this field means nothing unless you post in in bold over sized multi colored letters and underline everything.

Surely by this time you know the internet rules of argument and yelling.

Please try to correct this oversight on your part next time please.

Have to run, I have some old chili on the stove and this may be my last post ever.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll pray say a prayer just for you!

Interwebz are a funny thing and I don't understand not just doing some research instead of adding emotions. If you don't want to eat a can of black beans that expired a week ago, no problem, but to extole complete misinformation is just mind numbing. Funny part is, my sister will throw out cans of corn, green beans, stew or whatever THE day it expires no matter what info she is given. I just ask her to put them in a box and I'll take them to a shelter instead of them going to waste. She thinks one day they are going to sue me if someone gets sick.......

Again, I'm not here to be argumentative, just give a different perspective. When, or if the crud hits the rotating ventilator, I hope my knowledge and skills could be put to good use.

Last edited by kingosat; 04-05-2014 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Errors
Old 04-05-2014, 2:59 PM
In Memoriam

OP still alive?

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 04-05-2014, 7:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 View Post
OP still alive?
Doing just fine and even finished off the November eggs yesterday morning.
Old 04-05-2014, 7:39 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Love your selective CHERRY PICKING eyesight and reading abilities. You missed it once and I made it GIANT RED letters. Lets see if you miss it again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
WOW, I sure called it when I previously stated, "even with this info direct from the horse's mouth, the internet commandos won't give up on their beloved FUD".

My eyesight is just fine PC and I didn't miss your infantile use of crayons to attempt to make the point the first time. No matter how much you web yell and decorate your words on screen you are still wrong. Risk of spoilage is NOT the same as the risk of botulism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingosat View Post
PC, I honestly don't know where you gleaned this information (with regards to different canning processes for the tropics) but it is just not correct for the commercial canning industry...
Lol...PC getting spanked.

That's what stubborn, foot-stomping, petulant, arrogant children get.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 04-05-2014, 7:50 PM

Quote:
infantile use of crayons
.. that is rich! - on a web site - gotta love that one!
Reminds me of the commercial of the guy building a bar graph on the computer screen... with a sharpie. Hehe
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 04-07-2014, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

Problem child, You took an extension home canning course didn't you? The only time I ever heard the f value spouted as some magical law was by extension home economics agents. The F value concept was not even around when canning first began and people in the tropics were some of the first people to benefit from canning, long before someone came up with the so called f value.
Old 04-08-2014, 5:19 PM
Banned

Still no signs of botulism or even just a bad bowel movement for that matter. We have also started in on the eggs we bought in the beginning of February.
Old 04-11-2014, 1:06 PM
Banned

14 days and still no death.
Old 04-13-2014, 7:29 PM

About pumpkin pie filling.

Keep the following around:

Nutmeg.
White or brown sugar (brown preferably).
Cinnamon.
Honey.

Pumpkin pie filling, according to the can I'm now looking at, has 280% of your daily allowance of vitamin A. If you don't like canned carrots (I'm not fond of them, nobody else in my house will touch them), this is the perfect vitamin A replacement.

Also, 12% of your fiber.
2g protein.
4% calcium, iron and sugar.
8% vitamin C.

0 fat/cholesterol.
50 calories.

All this in a 1/2 cup serving.

Sounds like a pretty good product to have in your pantry!

BTW.... On the can I'm looking at:

INGREDIENTS:

Pumpkin (only).

Oh, BTW. Adding a bit of orange juice concentrate GREATLY increases potassium/vitamin C content.

Last edited by Dragunov; 04-13-2014 at 7:40 PM..
Old 04-13-2014, 7:38 PM

EWWWW!!! A bug just flew in my mouth, and I swallowed it.... Mayfly, unfortunately!

YUKK!
Old 04-13-2014, 7:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
EWWWW!!! A bug just flew in my mouth, and I swallowed it.... Mayfly, unfortunately!

YUKK!
I inhaled a gnat at a gig last week. Made me cough for a second or two, but just added a little extra protein to my diet.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 04-13-2014, 9:40 PM
Banned

Quote:

YUKK!
What is it with people posting totally random crap like this in threads? Post padding?
Old 04-13-2014, 9:44 PM
In Memoriam

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 04-14-2014, 9:59 AM

Quote:
About pumpkin pie filling.
Just added a couple more to the list..

I keep a pretty well stocked pantry and have plenty of the stuff you listed.

Thanks!

"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 04-14-2014, 4:47 PM

Quote:
What is it with people posting totally random crap like this in threads? Post padding?
Who crapped in YOUR milk bucket?!? You didn't take notice of the perfectly legit post I wrote just above it. Chill out! Relax, have a beer and get over it. Too many uptight people on this board sometimes.

'Nuff Sedd.

Last edited by Dragunov; 04-14-2014 at 4:54 PM..
Old 04-14-2014, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Mtn Flyer View Post
Back in the mid/late 70's, I fought forest fires for a few summers for the USFS. Our primary meals from our cache were left over c-rats, dated early to mid 50's. Other than staying away from the Spanish rice, everything else seemed to be ok.
It used to crack me up, the way the govt labeled the cans, ie- "Ham, Sliced, Cooked with juices"

So obviously some canned goods hold their own for awhile... And I still carry a trusty P38 can opener on my key ring.
When I was a kid, some of us local boys (this was when teenage boys, hung tobacco, and pitched hay to make money over the summer), cleared off the river bank (Ohio river) for Clermont County. We got payed daily, and had C-rats from the 40's! Still good.
Old 04-14-2014, 6:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Who crapped in YOUR milk bucket?!? You didn't take notice of the perfectly legit post I wrote just above it. Chill out! Relax, have a beer and get over it. Too many uptight people on this board sometimes.

'Nuff Sedd.
Chill out Francis! No need to get pissy with me just because I made an observation.

I saw the useful info of the previous "perfectly legit post" but didn't look nor associate the writer of that post with the Facebook-worthy-minutia you then felt the need to post and on which I commented.

If you want to post off-topic nonsense, there is plenty of space over in the OT Forum.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 04-14-2014 at 6:55 PM.. Reason: clarified my meaning
Old 04-15-2014, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Chill out Francis! No need to get pissy with me just because I made an observation.

I saw the useful info of the previous "perfectly legit post" but didn't look nor associate the writer of that post with the Facebook-worthy-minutia you then felt the need to post and on which I commented.

If you want to post off-topic nonsense, there is plenty of space over in the OT Forum.
Tantrum much?
Old 04-15-2014, 6:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Tantrum much?
Hmmmm, you thread crap but I'm the bad guy.....interesting
Old 04-15-2014, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Just a sign of the times, facebook/youtube type stuff. Seems he forgot a joke was supposed to be funny..

Old 04-16-2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
Just a sign of the times, facebook/youtube type stuff. Seems he forgot a joke was supposed to be funny..
Maybe you two grumpy old cranks should just get back on topic and let's forget about it like adults (myself included). Good?
Old 04-16-2014, 9:34 PM
Calguns Addict

We just last year ate Tater-tot-casserole (variant on the Duggar's recipe catered to our liking) included the following expired cans: evaporated milk, Cream of Chicken, Cream of mushroom, about 1-1.5 years expired and all was good. It WAS from the cabinet in the house.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe you two grumpy old cranks should just get back on topic and let's forget about it like adults (myself included). Good?
WOW! REALLY?

The thread WAS on topic just fine until you started this nonsense and yet you are STILL trying to make it seem like its other peoples faults.

The adult thing to do would have been for you to simply take the hint from my first post and not waste further bandwidth trying to deflect responsibility.

Lets see if you can take your own advice now.
Old 04-18-2014, 7:28 AM
Banned

UPDATE:
Been a month 3 weeks (I should read the calender better LOL) and despite all the hysterical claims of my impending death, there is still no hint of botulism. The gas from the beans is LONG gone as well so my wife is once again breathing easy.

I guess it's safe for Hutch 7.62 to put away his popcorn.

On a side note, we also ate some more of our February eggs last night. The eggs looked/smelled good as new coming out of the shell, cooked up nice and fluffy, tasted just fine and we suffered no ill affects.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 04-18-2014 at 4:06 PM..
Old 04-18-2014, 9:36 AM

Quote:
UPDATE:
Been a month and despite all the hysterical claims of my impending death, there is still no hint of botulism. The gas from the beans is LONG gone as well so my wife is once again breathing easy.

I guess it's safe for Hutch 7.62 to put away his popcorn.

On a side note, we also ate some more of our February eggs last night. The eggs looked/smelled good as new coming out of the shell, cooked up nice and fluffy, tasted just fine and we suffered no ill affects.
This egg is good enough for the lord jehova (with apologies to Monty Python)

Let the stoning commence

http://youtu.be/R_hlMK7tCks
Old 04-18-2014, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Canned foods are in all likelihood fine to eat indefinitely. The only downside are the chemical coatings on the inside of the can leaching, but it won't make you acutely sick in the short term. I know a guy with 30 year old canned chicken and tuna that eats them.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Im good, but I bet you can't keep your fat keyboard shut! Start your own thread!

.. ok, I'm outa a tissues..

Sliced Bacon Unopened bacon didn't stay cold sitting the cooler for a couple of days this last week, it was still cool to the touch when I put in the fridge today. The family was going to chuck it and I said I'd take it home and eat it. They acted like I'd grow additional appendages just before dying a foaming death. I reminded them that commercial pork today is pre-cooked -- I didn't have a quick ref to site, so I just chuckled.

Last edited by sdkevin; 04-19-2014 at 11:11 AM..
Old 04-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KON5T View Post
This egg is good enough for the lord jehova (with apologies to Monty Python)

Let the stoning commence

http://youtu.be/R_hlMK7tCks
It was a mighty tasty egg! LOL

With all these rocks I guess I will make some rock soup next.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Im good, but I bet you can't keep your fat keyboard shut! Start your own thread!

.. ok, I'm outa a tissues..

Sliced Bacon Unopened bacon didn't stay cold sitting the cooler for a couple of days this last week, it was still cool to the touch when I put in the fridge today. The family was going to chuck it and I said I'd take it home and eat it. They acted like I'd grow additional appendages just before dying a foaming death. I reminded them that commercial pork today is pre-cooked -- I didn't have a quick ref to site, so I just chuckled.
In his defense, we did work things out via PMs.

I believe HAM is precooked but I am pretty sure bacon isn't. I don't know what the curing process might take care of but hopefully someone can fill us in.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Good to hear Steve! For him, that first impression is a bit lasting.

I'll do my homework on bacon. The label doesn't mention anywhere about "pre cooked" so it sounds like your correct. For grins I'll call Fresh & Easy on Mon to check.

Old 04-20-2014, 7:58 AM

Hey guys, are we taking dares yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unopened-Can...item4d1bb0b02a

Old 04-20-2014, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Hey guys, are we taking dares yet?
In PA, thats got to be Amish good! That looks like a barn find.

Put a few vent holes in it, let it sit on the coals for a while and see what happens.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was better quality meat than we eat today.

Old 04-20-2014, 8:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
In PA, thats got to be Amish good! That looks like a barn find.

Put a few vent holes in it, let it sit on the coals for a while and see what happens.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was better quality meat than we eat today.
I wouldn't set it on a fire.

From the labeling I would venture that the rusted can we are looking at is just the outer container and the listed rations are individually packaged inside it.
Old 04-25-2014, 3:04 PM
Banned

UPDATE:

OK Now it has been a month LOL. Still doing fine and I believe I am now past all the proclaimants-of-doom time lines for my impending demise.

So I guess absent further hysterical demands from PC and Hutch7.62 this is my final update.

These are still some mighty tasty eggs...... OUCH! LOL
Old 04-27-2014, 7:34 PM

Ate a can of Chata brand Chilorio which is a seasoned meat I had stored from 3 years ago. Tasted great and all is well. Only heat and serve.