Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2021, 5:58 AM
Veteran Member

Post Becoming a church elder

I feel like Moses.

Five years ago, I retired. Planned to work on my home, train my dog, build some things in my shop and enjoy my vinyl record collection. Six months into that retirement, my church offered me a paid job as a director. I accepted the position. Four years in, I'm feeling the effects of age more and more. I found myself wondering about resigning my director position. (Getting through the pandemic made my job very hard.)

This week, the pastor asked me to meet with him. I've been asked to become a church elder. I'm tired. I'm old. But I guess there is no such thing as retirement for a Christian. Yes, I do believe this is a calling by Holy Spirit. After being asked, I went home to talk to my family and seek counsel of The Lord in the scriptures. This spoke to me...

"Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood." Acts 20:28

Well, Moses was old and living in Midian before he was ready to be used of God. But, God is gonna have to be my strength. Watching The Chosen series has been helpful. Now, I understand how the Disciples must have felt when Jesus said to each of them, "Follow me."

Anyone getting a calling?
Anyone here an elder that can relate?
Any words of wisdom?
Old 04-24-2021, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

Not an elder but involved with them quite a bit. At least from my perspective it may be easier for you as it helps to steer the church yet is only “part” time. It may lead to other things that draws you in to help guide the flock.

Do they have a reaffirmation period? Basically two year term and at that time the church or you could chose to do something else or to step down?
Old 04-24-2021, 5:38 PM

Recently heard apparently old news about another prominent evangelist being nullified by sin. Made me remember my first pastor who fell the same.

For the shepherd: ..."above reproach"...

May you endure. Good luck and God bless.
Old 04-24-2021, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

Well first I am 77 yrs old, not a elected elder or otherwise. If as you said,typed etc that you believe this is a calling by the Holy Spirit, if I am properly reading your words, do what the Holy Spirit gives witness to your inner man, your spirit. NOT your " feelings " but what is witnessed by your spirit. I NEVER trust my feelings, ever ! I hope I am making sense to you.

Lord I ask you to give witness to Bro Kokopelli as to his choice in this matter, by the name of jesus of Nazareth, Amen.

Psalm 1
Old 04-24-2021, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

I'm an Elder. The hardest thing you are going to learn is that you are going to see and deal with the ugly underbelly of the Church. You will be tempted to shrink from it but you must not. You will be under constant attack. You must pray for the Session, and pray with the Session. Tell them what you are going through and have them pray for you. No man can stand against it alone. You must be in constant prayer. Always remember that it is an honor to suffer for Christ's name. PM me if you ever need to talk.

John
Old 04-24-2021, 8:19 PM

RAMCLAP is right. Become familiar with the internal controls, financial stewardship and informal and formal paths of communication to escalate concerns. Also development of other staff members.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:10 PM

Ramclap nailed it in his comment. As an elder you learn allot of things in reality you probably did not want to know. For me knowing our financial makes me very uncomfortable. My wife and I were discussing not that long ago how much easier it was to just show up and enjoy fellowship.

That said being an elder puts you in a position to spread and grow the love of Christ and his grace. A lesson taught to me by a close friend as I became a council member is something I think of constantly in my role. That is the choices we make must always be Christ based not the will of man, trust in him alone. The fact that you sought council with God and your family and obviously are not accepting your role to boast to me says they picked the rite brother!

God bless you.
Old 04-25-2021, 4:37 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you brothers for your feedback and thoughts. I greatly appreciate you! This morning, I will tell the pastor that I accept the nomination. Along with the church budget, it goes before the members of the congregation for a vote in a couple of months.

Thank you for the prayers. Thank you for the reminder that attacks by the enemy will come! In the past 12 months our church has suffered break ins, burglary and vandalism. The pandemic not only lowered attendance but, tithing is way down as well. We’ve seen dark days.

But our God is greater.