Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 09-03-2021, 7:47 PM

Default GAMO Black Cat Whisper .177 Cal. Air Rifle - Good first air rifle?

I'm thinking of getting a GAMO Black Cat Whisper .177 Cal. Air Rifle. They've got it at Big 5 for $119.99 and I've got a 10% off coupon.

I would be using this to work on my rifle and scope skills. I normally work with a Marlin 795 22LR but ammo purchasing is still a PITA and this does not seem to be the case with pellets. This rifle seems like it would have a similar feel to my 795.

Would this be a good option? If not, what would you recommend instead?

All advice greatly appreciated!

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/st...01/_/A-6082994
Old 09-03-2021, 7:58 PM
Banned

Springers used to be the deal, but now days a gas-piston is the way to go. Some companies call it "nitro piston", but it's the same thing used on cars to hold open car hoods. These are a lot smoother than a spring-piston and don't really cost much more.
Old 09-03-2021, 9:47 PM

Thank you for the advice I'll look into those.
Old 09-08-2021, 2:59 PM
Banned

if you can pony up a little more cash for an entry level pcp, i'd recommend that.

i spent tons of money on springers and gas pistons, and i've ended up throwing them in the trash. they kill scopes big time. even the ones designed for those type of pellet rifles.

i finally joined the pcp club recently and i'll never buy anything else. 50 yd accurate shots all the way out to 100yds.
Old 09-08-2021, 7:41 PM

If you think you’re going to have a good experience with a cheap Chinese made airgun, you may as well expect to be disappointed. Spring piston airguns can be wonderful things, but you get what you pay for.

Here’s my advice to you: forget the cheap Chinese junk and save your money to buy something nicer from HW, Air Arms or Diana.

Some of the lower powered examples from HW (HW30 comes to mind) are not very expensive yet will provide many years of enjoyment and are very accurate. If you save a bit more you can buy an Air Arms TX200 which, though expensive, will undoubtedly last longer than you, AND you’ll have pride of ownership.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most spring piston air rifles require a loose hold. It’s something that takes a bit of practice, but once mastered will serve you well.

I’m sure many people get started in airguns with junk produced in China, but save yourself the headaches and just go directly to the nicer products. You’ll be glad you did.
Old 09-12-2021, 1:16 PM

Take the plunge and get a PCP gun and a compressor. The Gamo is inexpensive but you're not really going to enjoy it much if you'll shoot it a lot.

Using PCP and a compressor you can concentrate on shooting and not swinging a break barrel springer or gas piston gun. You'll buy everything once and then just enjoy shooting without getting a one arm exercise routine at the same time.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:00 AM

I actually ended up getting a GAMO Raptor Whisper .177 for $100 on eBay. It has the IGP piston which everything I've read does seem to be smoother and quieter than spring pistons.

I have also ready that PCP guns are quite a bit better. I didn't go that route to start because I wanted to keep the cost down until I was certain that I want to go down the air gun road. My big rationale for going air was to avoid the expensive 22LR ammo situation that's been in effect the last 1.5 years so that's why I don't want to dive in too deep to air with PCP just yet.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:41 AM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Smile

You can always sell it to the paper boy for $50 when you've wrung all of the accuracy possible out of it...

But when I do, I aim to misbehave.
Old 09-27-2021, 9:56 PM

I recognize that this will probably not be my long term rifle. I just want to make sure that airgun training will do what I want it to do before I put too much money into it. The Gamo does look cool though in any case. It's definitely a long gun for sure.