Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 07-28-2021, 4:25 PM
Himself
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
My friend grew up in Alberta, as teens he and his friends would show up at a farmer's place (any farmer, apparently) with their .22s, and the farmer would hand out .22 ammo to each kid and they could shoot ground hogs all day long. Of course the expectation is they wouldn't shoot towards livestock or the buildings. Cheap fun for the kids, cheap groundhog "control" for the farmers.
Ha! I was visiting a cattle rancher client. His 12 yo grandson showed up. Grandpa handed him the 10-22 and said “go get me 10 and I’ll take out the ice cream”. Made me smile.
Old 09-21-2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
What is the best air rifle for small pest control?
Ground squirrels and rattle snakes.

Great accuracy is a must.
Quiet and not breaking the sound barrier.
.177 or .22 ?

Looking for any great suggestions. Pro’s or Con’s.
Thanks
Both work well .22 hits harder.
Old 09-21-2021, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveTPO View Post
k1dude brings up a good point but I suspect you're probably interested in a lower powered spring gun.

If that's the case then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Beeman R7 or the HW30. (They are essentially the same with only minor differences.) Both of these air rifles are manufactured by Hermann Weihrauch in Germany. And while HW doesn't exactly give them away they are, for that level of quality, reasonably priced at about $350. The R7/HW30 is easy to cock, accurate; and, with a .177 pellet, will produce a muzzle velocity of approximately 600 fps.

My R7 shoots RWS Superdomes at 550 fps with good effect on gophers and ground squirrels and the report is pretty backyard friendly.
I have the HW30 with a tune kit and is real accurate and the RWS 350 magnum , more punch at a farther distance.
Old 09-21-2021, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Gamo is decent and affordable Scops suck
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 09-22-2021, 9:57 AM

Default Check your local regs

Check your local regs. Some municipalities/counties limit where/whether air rifles can be used.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I have two Beeman break barrel cocking, 177 and 22 cal pellet rifles and a side cocking SuperMax 177 pellet rifle, an old Benjamin Franklin 22cal pump pellet rifle and a Crossman Legacy 1000 BB/pellet rifle. Variable pumps are best, because they are variable. The spring action limit the direction or where I can shoot because they are so powerful and will go straight thru a rat, been going out at night shooting rats out of apple and pear trees and some at chicken coop, but also use co2 bb pistol at the coop. The spring powered rifles are powerful enough to go thru the rat and the coop wall, don't want to accidently kill one of my chickens.
Old 09-25-2021, 7:58 PM

Benjamin Marauder PCP .22 has been my go to for years. It is seriously accurate out to 60 yards and has a great trigger. The integral suppressor helps for being able to take out more than one ground squirrel before they get the hint and all dive back into their burrows. It is a heavy beast though.

"Freedom is always just one generation away from extinction. We don't pass it to our children in the bloodstream; we have to fight for it and protect it, and then hand it to them so that they shall do the same, or we're going to find ourselves spending our sunset years telling our children and our children's children about a time in America, back in the day, when men and women were free." - Ronald Reagan, 1961