Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 07-15-2019, 5:03 PM

Default Equipment questions

I want to attend my second Appleseed in Oct but, in addition to my new 10/22 build that I am working on that will hopefully be a little lighter than the one I used in April,

Can I bring my .22wmr or my AR as a secondary firearm to use on day 2?

Also, is the use of a nonmagnified red dot scored the same as using a scope?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross239 View Post
I want to attend my second Appleseed in Oct but, in addition to my new 10/22 build that I am working on that will hopefully be a little lighter than the one I used in April,

Can I bring my .22wmr or my AR as a secondary firearm to use on day 2?

Also, is the use of a nonmagnified red dot scored the same as using a scope?
*Snip*
Hi, I am an instructor at the Sacramento Appleseed events.

The rules are the same. Mostly.

Here is the quote directly from the Project Appleseed website. https://appleseedinfo.org/faq/
Quote:
You can use any safe rifle permitted by the range which can be accurately shot from the shoulder, from a .22 to a .32 (8mm). We’re semi-auto and bolt-gun friendly.

Also note:
Quote:
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY THE USE OF SMITH AND WESSON M&P 15/22’S AT AN APPLESEED ARE HEREBY TEMPORARILY PROHIBITED DUE TO RECENT SAFETY ISSUES.
I do believe that all the California events are held at ranges that would allow the "from .22 to .32 cal."

Therefore both should be fine.

As to your second question. Scoring at a regular Appleseed event does not factor in your sighting system. Yes, they are scored the same.

I would add two things that are my personal preference and kind of contradict each other. First, I would encourage you to bring a back up rifle. Second, I would also encourage you to stick to one rifle until you master it.

In Liberty,
-aK-
"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." —Thomas Jefferson (1823)
Old 07-15-2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aK- View Post
Hi, I am an instructor at the Sacramento Appleseed events.

The rules are the same. Mostly.

Here is the quote directly from the Project Appleseed website. https://appleseedinfo.org/faq/

Also note:

I do believe that all the California events are held at ranges that would allow the "from .22 to .32 cal."

Therefore both should be fine.

As to your second question. Scoring at a regular Appleseed event does not factor in your sighting system. Yes, they are scored the same.

I would add two things that are my personal preference and kind of contradict each other. First, I would encourage you to bring a back up rifle. Second, I would also encourage you to stick to one rifle until you master it.

In Liberty,

-aK-
Thank you for the reply.

I do bring a back up with me.

Bringing the 22wmr or the AR would just be an additional challenge for me to see if I could score rifleman with multiple platforms.

Old 07-16-2019, 2:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

-aK- covered it.

I agree that switching rifles is generally a bad idea unless your primary goes down.

If you score rifleman, and need more of a challenge, go for the Distimguished patch (irons-230, scope-240), then the 250.

Switch rifles for the next event, I think you'll have more fun and less frustration.