Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > The CRPA Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The CRPA Forum News, Questions, and Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 9:38 AM

Default Avoid purchasing ARs now?

I am thinking of getting a high quality match rifle for CMP competition. Given the political winds would you purchase a new AR today?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scota4570 View Post
I am thinking of getting a high quality match rifle for CMP competition. Given the political winds would you purchase a new AR today?
Sure.

Buy what you want, enjoy it while you can, and deal with the future when it arrives.

Odds of SCOTUS striking down California's "assault weapon ban" are greater than a complete semiautomatic ban with no grandfather clause which isn't stopped by an injunction.

I'd suggest acquiring a lifetime supply of $39 receivers delivered to an FFL with inexpensive transfers and multigun DROS discounts before the 1 in 30 day restriction passes.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-19-2019 at 12:01 PM..
Old 02-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one, that's for sure.

I agree with getting a lot of receivers (or at least a few). They are cheap placeholders and possible hedges against what may come. You can always build a match rifle on a bare lower if you start feeling better about the future of the AR. I'd stick to standard lowers though, no weird stuff.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

If semi autos are banned, you can convert it. Just turn the gas block upside down and remove the gas tube. It won't cycle after you shoot it. You fire, then charge it, fire, charge it, fire, etc.

I expect with the number of AR's out there, MILLIONS, someone will design a way to make it operate like a bolt action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWzEPkXMVk8
Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Banned

Ummm, I guess it doesn't count since I dont like in California but I bought 12 lowers this morning to put together for the gun show in a few weeks!
Old 02-19-2019, 11:57 AM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

If you have an AR already, why not just upgrade it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 02-19-2019, 3:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wink

The Tide-pod kidz inspired me to build two more last year, so I'm standing pat right now, thanks.

Old 02-19-2019, 3:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scota4570 View Post
Given the political winds would you purchase a new AR today?
If I wanted another, then absolutely. Never let them win.

Old 02-19-2019, 4:49 PM

Virtually every gun ban in the US has always had a grandfathering provision. There's exceptions on the margins (bump stocks, the CADOJ's recent confiscations), but generally, if you had a legal firearm and it later became illegal, you weren't required to turn it in, and could continue to use it.

I'm cautiously optimistic the Supreme Court will really revitalize gun rights, but barring that, still better to have than to not have.

That being said, I wouldn't buy an expensive AR. Nothing to do with the political climate. It's just not a good use of funds.

Last edited by Califpatriot; 02-19-2019 at 4:54 PM..
Old 02-19-2019, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

For SCOTA4570, do you live in a very strong Anti 2A town or county? Does it look like the area you are in is determined to prevent you from owning one sort of like ASAP ? Measure that against your desire to buy one. Get one and if you are worried get a 22lr upper at the same time and keep it right next to it. You can do the switcheroo dance when it becomes necessary.

Psalm 1
Old 02-20-2019, 4:28 AM
Calguns Addict

ALL family members owned at least one WAY before registration of long guns.

They all have to be featureless, but what is featureless if not ALL off the books, or being confiscated... (like AR pistols) right now, and future generations have them legally.

I don't plan on getting anything soon, aside from maybe a Ruger 9mm PC Carbine...

Even IL has better firearm laws than we do, outside of "Crook county", as gun owners and non-Pinkos call it, regarding Chitcago's area.

Last edited by the86d; 02-20-2019 at 4:32 AM..
Old 02-20-2019, 4:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get an M1A I have lots of ars and love mine. Or an AR 10 reach out and touch your target instead of scaring it.
Old 02-21-2019, 9:06 AM

I've got a stripper lower in jail as we speak, so yes I would.
Old 02-21-2019, 9:30 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I just bought another rifle kit from PSA. Hard to beat $330 shipped for a mid length kit with MOE furniture and MBUS rear sight.

I've got a bunch of Anderson $50 lowers around and everyone should build an AR at least once every year

Add a $5 stock locking pin from AIM and a $10 Strike Ind. thread protector, plus some scrap kydex sheet and Chicago screws and it will be featureless. I've decided that I do not want to deal with any fixed mag setups, the malfunction procedures are just too janky.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-21-2019 at 9:35 AM..
Old 02-21-2019, 2:24 PM

^ I've got a bunch of Anderson $50 lowers around ...

where can you find good cheap lowers now a days....all my local shops want 100bucks + for anything , guess I missed that boat...
Old 02-21-2019, 3:29 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by green grunt View Post

where can you find good cheap lowers now a days....all my local shops want 100bucks + for anything , guess I missed that boat...
Turners was selling Andersons for $39 plus tax very recently in the south Sac store. Not sure if they still are. They had a soft opening. When they have the official grand opening soon they might replay that sale.

I have also gotten Andersons for $45 from Sac Black Rifle and The Gun Range. Pretty much anytime I see one that cheap and I am doing a DROS for something else, it gets added on. It is a no brainer if you already have to DROS something.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:21 PM

I have 3 lowers in jail right now. Picking up two tomorrow and the third at the end of the month. I wish i put a deposit down for 3 more Anderson’s while it was on sale but i didnt think i would want to build more after these 3. Now im waiting for another price drop like that. Dont be like me. Hoard your lowers while you can.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
Sure.

Buy what you want, enjoy it while you can, and deal with the future when it arrives.

Odds of SCOTUS striking down California's "assault weapon ban" are greater than a complete semiautomatic ban with no grandfather clause which isn't stopped by an injunction.

I'd suggest acquiring a lifetime supply of $39 receivers delivered to an FFL with inexpensive transfers and multigun DROS discounts before the 1 in 30 day restriction passes.

primary arms blows them out for $29.99 every couple of months. Anderson lowers.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:

primary arms blows out Anderson lowers every couple of months for $29.99. right now they're only $39.95. and they are PERFECT lowers and lock up tight to everything I've ever paired them with. why anyone spends way more on other lowers that do the exact same thing and no better is beyond me.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyraid View Post
primary arms blows out Anderson lowers every couple of months for $29.99. right now they're only $39.95. and they are PERFECT lowers and lock up tight to everything I've ever paired them with. why anyone spends way more on other lowers that do the exact same thing and no better is beyond me.

The logo is not very attractive and it takes 30 seconds to tap the takedown pin detent hole for a 4-40 grub screw.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:

Find a non-stocking dealer renting office space instead of an expensive store front with low FFL fees for receivers that take up little safe space.

I paid $25 for the first one + $10 each additional during gunmageddon in 2016.

Have your favorite online retailer send them some Anderson receivers for $39 each now, or $29 each if you can wait for a sale. Primary Arms and JSE Surplus are good.

As an added bonus, you won't need to wait in line behind lookie-lous, and may be able to setup appointments for paperwork and pickups. 10/10, would recommend.

That will get you a half dozen for $250-$350 out the door including DROS and sales tax if you don't need cable locks or a new Firearm Safety Certificate.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-22-2019 at 12:18 AM..
Old 02-22-2019, 4:51 AM

I always see the receiver sales but doesnt the out of state transfer fees kill the $29-$49 prices? Or am i missing something here?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Avoid purchasing ARs now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post

I don't plan on getting anything soon, aside from maybe a Ruger 9mm PC Carbine...

Seems like a fantastic little rifle and much cheaper than a CZ Scorpion... And uses inexpensive Glock mags to boot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by CalPatriot63; 07-06-2022 at 4:10 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 5:31 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and guitars View Post
Ummm, I guess it doesn't count since I dont like in California but I bought 12 lowers this morning to put together for the gun show in a few weeks!

That is the very reason I want to move to Idaho.
Old 02-25-2019, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldnt feel comfortable buying an AR these days, too much red tape

probably better to hold off on buying one.
Old 02-25-2019, 9:13 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd408 View Post
I always see the receiver sales but doesnt the out of state transfer fees kill the $29-$49 prices? Or am i missing something here?
You're doing it wrong. You buy them from the local gun store when they are on sale for $40 - $50, **and** you are already DROS'ing something else. Then it is just an add-on, no transfer fee, no extra DROS fee, just pay the price plus tax. I have a grip of Anderson lowers that literally cost me less than $50 out the door.

I would even pay a DROS fee for five or ten lowers. Then you are only adding $2.50 to $5 to the price of each lower. But the best way to get them is when you are already doing another DROS like a PPT. Try and coordinate a PPT purchase at a LGS with cheap lowers.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-25-2019 at 9:17 AM..
Old 02-25-2019, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I've decided that I do not want to deal with any fixed mag setups, the malfunction procedures are just too janky.
I took my EIC rifle to the range awhile ago with a fixed mag setup, had a failure to fire and failure to extract the live round right off the bat. Such a pain in the rear to clear the malfunction, I had to use another round to push the rounds in the mag down to allow the bolt to travel forward to break the gun open to drop the mag and to attempt to extract the live round.

I'm really not looking forward to having to compete in a match with the setup, depending on match rules, I may just say f the law and remove the mag block pin for the duration of the match.
Old 02-25-2019, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think prices are down right now might be a good time to buy.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 02-25-2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
You're doing it wrong. You buy them from the local gun store when they are on sale for $40 - $50, **and** you are already DROS'ing something else. Then it is just an add-on, no transfer fee, no extra DROS fee, just pay the price plus tax. I have a grip of Anderson lowers that literally cost me less than $50 out the door.

I would even pay a DROS fee for five or ten lowers. Then you are only adding $2.50 to $5 to the price of each lower. But the best way to get them is when you are already doing another DROS like a PPT. Try and coordinate a PPT purchase at a LGS with cheap lowers.
I feel like i called all the LGS in San diego from the Yelp page and all of their cheapest lowers are in the $90 range. Idk how to keep tabs on when one has a sale but i was only able to get in on Turner’s last deal. Only purchased one though, i shouldve gotten more.
Old 02-25-2019, 4:55 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd408 View Post
Only purchased one though, i shouldve gotten more.
Been there and done that. Now I always buy at least two when I seem them around $40 and I am DROSing something else. Best time to find them is black friday-ish, also grand openings and maybe memorial/veterans day/july 4.