Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 10-27-2008, 3:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Open Letter - how can we make Calguns.net better?

Now that GeoVario is involved in Calguns.net, we have the unique opportunity to leverage both our own technical pool, and the vast resources available in the Calguns community as well.

To that end, I would like to hear, from a technical perspective, new features, ideas and even dreams and goals, for Calguns immediately, in the next year, and beyond.

I can't promise all or any of your ideas will see production, (it's not my call this is Kestryll's site) but I can promise you your ideas will receive audience; Kestryll and the rest of the Calguns staff will review this thread and consider your ideas!

Best!
-Ben.

Since it seems to be needed, here is the
link to the list of acronyms, TLAs and other abbreviations frequently used at Calguns : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...hlight=acronym

// Librarian

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.

Last edited by Librarian; 06-02-2014 at 9:52 AM..
Old 10-27-2008, 3:57 PM

Stability in the form of a reliable forum.
Old 10-27-2008, 4:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Free beer?
Old 10-27-2008, 4:03 PM
Veteran Member

I would like to see SSL support for forum browsing (I think this was demoed in the past?).

People generally quarrel because they cannot argue -- G.K. Chesterton

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties -- James Madison
Old 10-27-2008, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artherd View Post
Now that GeoVario is involved in Calguns.net, we have the unique opportunity to leverage both our own technical pool, and the vast resources available in the Calguns community as well.

To that end, I would like to hear, from a technical perspective, new features, ideas and even dreams and goals, for Calguns immediately, in the next year, and beyond.

I can't promise all or any of your ideas will see production, (it's not my call this is Kestryll's site) but I can promise you your ideas will receive audience; Kestryll and the rest of the Calguns staff will review this thread and consider your ideas!

Best!
-Ben.
Establish a California Firearms auctions board to suck away business from Gun Broker. Income for CG and Kali gun friendly at the same time. Plus GB's forum management is a joke.
Old 10-27-2008, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectrexer View Post
Establish a California Firearms auctions board to suck away business from Gun Broker. Income for CG and Kali gun friendly at the same time. Plus GB's forum management is a joke.
I really like this idea if it is doable
Old 11-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorensen440 View Post
In addition to a GeoVario hosted auction board I would also like to see one of the following:

1) Permanent partnering with a site like www.Yelp.com for CalGuns.net partnered reviews of guns, manufacturers , and external sites.
and/or
2) GeoVario hosted review site similar to www.Yelp.com for reviews of guns, manufacturers , and external sites.

This was we would not lose the old articles reviewing and evaluating the topic while still being able to add new articles and reviews.

If there were made and hosted by GeoVario then we really could keep a permanent list of Kali-friendly dealers, but at the same time not have it be a distraction. Would also be nice to have a fields to list the FFL03-Friendly and gray-area dealers as well. While I have not bought a gray-area firearm I can see where others might appreciate the ability to list dealers by this attribute.

Last edited by Vectrexer; 11-27-2008 at 10:44 AM..
Old 01-24-2010, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Yeh. I think so.
Old 06-29-2010, 5:54 PM

Default Auctions.

Quote:

Another vote for a private sale auction function.
Old 06-30-2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
That's a very great ideal.
Old 12-22-2008, 9:48 AM
#1 Bull Goose Loony
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Oh Yeah!! +1! on a CalGuns Auction.

And I also second the suggestion for a Newby Information Section/FAQ/Wiki, but don't forget there will always be new folk wandering around asking the same old questions. Some just find it easier to ask than to go look it up themselves. Did you ever ask your Mom or Dad how to spell a word and have them tell you to go look in the dictionary? I hated that.

And the Section for Air Guns! That would be awesome.

And once again, Thank You to Kestryll for providing this most excellent Forum for the benefit of all of us. Playground monitor is often a thankless job.

CL
Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have an out of state friend that somehow got blacklisted on gunbroker, I guess he logged on to the site from a friends computer, GB had blocked his friend over a dispute, and I guess had logged his IP address, and now insists he is his friend.....even after providing a copy of his Washington State Drivers License to prove his identity. This is just one story I've heard of gunbroker being unprofessional.

Bottom line is the auction would easily exceed the reach of Calguns and CA.
Old 07-30-2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
This
Old 10-27-2008, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

-A search function that works a little better....more google-like if you will.

-An FFL information forum specifically designed to walk a less-sophisticated FFL through the processes and legalities of commonly requested Calgunner's "special transfers or purchases". Every FFL has an internet connection, but few have the patience to wade through multiple threads in various forums while you stand in his shop or talk on the phone.
This could be backed by the Calguns Foundation with direct contact (email or phone, etc) info if applicable or available.

-
Old 10-27-2008, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

I'd like to see 2 features:

- the ability to reset your last login date/time in the database so as to unmark-as-read older posts. I'm thinking a simple click from the main nav bar. Often you start to browse CGN thinking you have the time but get pulled away, and end up missing things - being able to click to reset your date/time to (N)-1x login would help a ton.

- the ability to have per-subforum keyword-and-PM-notify scanning upon post. Given a keyword to scan for, every post is compared and the user PM'd the URL to the post (or maybe once an hour en masse on another CPU/server). I could set my keyword "wilson combat" in the For Sale forum and get notified of any posts with that in it. (obviously this is not trivial and many safeguards have to be built in)

thx. can I get fries with that?
Old 10-27-2008, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post

- the ability to reset your last login date/time in the database so as to unmark-as-read older posts. I'm thinking a simple click from the main nav bar. Often you start to browse CGN thinking you have the time but get pulled away, and end up missing things - being able to click to reset your date/time to (N)-1x login would help a ton.
Ben you are the tech guy and I assume you want feedback on things that affect your servers. Might want to set the Thread/Forum Read Marking Type to Database (automatic forum marking)

On a forum as large as cal guns it may put more of a strain on your servers though.
Old 10-27-2008, 7:23 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=126816

Hey, does this mean I'm on the tech team? When's my first coffee break?

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 10-28-2008, 2:27 PM

Default seperate the gun sales from the south and north

Far too often the right guns are in the opposite side of the state and the seller is not willing to ship. I would be good if the gun sales were seperated in N.CAl/S. CAL.
Old 10-28-2008, 2:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
Far too often the right guns are in the opposite side of the state and the seller is not willing to ship. I would be good if the gun sales were seperated in N.CAl/S. CAL.
But many are willing to ship
I would like to see the city added to the title though
Old 10-28-2008, 2:38 PM

Quote:
I agree with Big in part. Either seperate the regions or make it mandatory to have your location in the title. Nothing irks me more than to read a for sale that ends in "FTF only" in whatever town 400 miles away from me. By far most of the sellers are in the Bay Area/Sac or LA/further south.

A simple N Cal, C Cal or S Cal would suffice in the header. That way those that want to deal with FFLs and shiping still can if they want the item bad enough.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 11-22-2020, 3:16 PM

Quote:
dito
Old 12-15-2008, 2:21 PM

Default suggestions

An instruction "sticky"???

I look a lot, and reply occasionally. I even post.

I've got a WTB post from last spring that I would delete (If I could figure out how).
Old 01-15-2009, 11:12 PM

One forum I spend a lot of time on had a few nifty features like an image search that brings up from most recently posted to oldest all images that were posted on the site. It made finding things that interest you that much easier and made moderating easier too because if someone posts a shock image or something it's easier for moderators to notice.
Another nifty feature was a ticker. It showed all posts that were being made as they were being made so it was a nice way of seeing which threads were the most active.
There was also a log that showed all moderator activity. Moved threads, name changes, thread locks, bans and the reasons for these things. It was all automated, dated and in chronological order. Helped clear up many confusing situations.

Unfortunately the forum got overhauled and none of these features made it into the system that currently stands.

Last edited by N_S; 01-15-2009 at 11:18 PM..
Old 01-25-2009, 3:23 PM

Default dfg rules and regulations

mabye make a new section all about the department of fish and game. things like new rules and regs. peoples experiences with game wardens. suggestions for new rules and reasons to dissolve others.
Old 10-21-2009, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post

-An FFL information forum specifically designed to walk a less-sophisticated FFL through the processes and legalities of commonly requested Calgunner's "special transfers or purchases". Every FFL has an internet connection, but few have the patience to wade through multiple threads in various forums while you stand in his shop or talk on the phone.
This could be backed by the Calguns Foundation with direct contact (email or phone, etc) info if applicable or available.

-
This is a realy good one so very few even buyers are in the "know" on how to get around to get what you want legally.
Old 10-27-2008, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

faster refresh rate.
i like the auction thing too. gb has turned into a place to fleece noobs.
Old 10-27-2008, 8:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here's what I would consider perhaps the #1 thing I'd like to see:

A means to pay for items bought online that:

1.) doesn't require Paypal
2.) is gun friendly
3.) has acceptable fees (3% or less)
4.) is EXTREMELY easy to sign up for

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 10-27-2008, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker View Post
Here's what I would consider perhaps the #1 thing I'd like to see:

A means to pay for items bought online that:

1.) doesn't require Paypal
2.) is gun friendly
3.) has acceptable fees (3% or less)
4.) is EXTREMELY easy to sign up for
Yep. **** paypal. Every time I sell something and take the money in thru them I'm afraid they are going to steal my $$.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 10-28-2008, 4:45 AM
Banned

TRY OFFICAL WARNINGS OF UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR BEFORE BANNING MEMBERS, WITHOUT POSSIBLE RE-INSTATEMENT. WRITTEN WARNINGS GENERALLY HIT THE MARK AND WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BE SUFFICENT PENALTY, RATHER THAN THE EXTREME,LIKE EXILE OR BANNISHMENT. ITS ONE THING IF A PERSON CONTINUES AFTER WRITTEN WARNINGS. THERE SHOULD BE DUE PROCESS TO EXILE,.
Old 10-28-2008, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartagnan View Post
TRY OFFICAL WARNINGS OF UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR BEFORE BANNING MEMBERS, WITHOUT POSSIBLE RE-INSTATEMENT. WRITTEN WARNINGS GENERALLY HIT THE MARK AND WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BE SUFFICENT PENALTY, RATHER THAN THE EXTREME,LIKE EXILE OR BANNISHMENT. ITS ONE THING IF A PERSON CONTINUES AFTER WRITTEN WARNINGS. THERE SHOULD BE DUE PROCESS TO EXILE,.
Things like using all caps in posts
You using a Military keyboard?

**** Insert Disclaimer here for any past, present, and future posts. Dont get butt hurt, offended, or complain about an innocent mistake, information that is not 100% accurate, or sillyness mistaken for anything other than that ****
Old 10-28-2008, 9:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I see your new here.
People being banned here are given numerous warnings unless what they have done is really really really bad.
Old 10-28-2008, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Being banned for a week or 10 days works fine and sends the message home. If it ain't broke don't fix it. How about animated gif avatars instead?
Old 11-02-2008, 6:20 PM

Quote:
There are two types of permabanned members:

1. Scammers (spam bots, and the like)
2. Those who have had many, many warnings, and temp-bans in the past.

Those who are in category #2, yet have not been permabanned, have generally (99%) been talked to beforehand, and they ignore warnings. Some, however, step so far over the line they get their "talking-to" in the form of a "You are temporarily banned. You have been temp banned for XYZ" admonishment when they try to log on next.
Old 10-28-2008, 7:27 AM
Calguns Addict

A free puppy!!
Old 10-28-2008, 8:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27
A free puppy!!
And a baby's arm holding an apple!

I think there are four areas to review or improve:

1. Server hardware - providing sufficient space, fast drives and pipes, stable backup strategy, fail-safe rollovers.

2. vBulletin forum optimization effort, and giving users more control over their configuration.

3. Open and transparent policy for enforcement of rules - stop with the arbitrary banning of members when moderators get their panties bunched in a wad. Along with this, a simple single listing of "the rules," as opposed to how it is now, scattered throughout the forums.

4. Review of new forums.
Old 10-28-2008, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Open Letter - how can we make Calguns.net better?
Might want to consider doing this so the quoted pictures show up as links. It appears attachments are not enabled on this site so sent an email to you with an attached file.

Quote:
Edit the file includes/class_bbcode.php

1. Find the function called: handle_bbcode_quote
2. Right before the last line of the function I added the following lines:

//### HACK BEGIN - Turn [img] to [url]
if ($this->contains_bbcode_img_tags($html))
{
$html = preg_replace('#\[img\]\s*(https?://([^<>*"]+|[a-z0-9/\\._\- !]+))\[/img\]#iUe', "\$this-handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\\\"', '\"', '\\1'), '')", $html);
}
//### HACK END
return $html; // <----- Last line of function

What's happening there is that function is acting on the quoted response. Early in the function it strips smilies, does some tweaking depending on the user's browser version, and then at the very end, I added code to detect if there is a quoted bb image tag and if so, it applies a regular expression against the bb image code to make it so only the url is displayed. It seems to be escaping the bb code so the bb parser doesn't turn it into real img tags.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
A free puppy!!
Get Outta My HEAD!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 2:06 PM

The forum's HTML code is very, very broken. There're two complete sets of html and head tags on the top of the page that need to be cleaned up. I'm counting two body tags as well which look like they're nested. Not a big deal but, in the interest of making sure the forums are as accessible as possible, that should probably be fixed.

R
Old 10-28-2008, 2:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've often thought a programmed set of questions to post in the firearms section would be helpful. An automated box of required questions (rifle or pistol, location of seller, willing to ship, price or trade only, C&R eligible (y/n/uncertain)). It would probably require each firearm to be in its own post within the thread.

Then, once these are answered, every new posting has a box that lists these. It would eliminate rule breaking and make it much easier for people to size up the situation.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 10-28-2008, 3:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker View Post
I've often thought a programmed set of questions to post in the firearms section would be helpful. An automated box of required questions (rifle or pistol, location of seller, willing to ship, price or trade only, C&R eligible (y/n/uncertain)). It would probably require each firearm to be in its own post within the thread.

Then, once these are answered, every new posting has a box that lists these. It would eliminate rule breaking and make it much easier for people to size up the situation.
Awesome Idea !!