Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-19-2021, 6:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Language to interact with websites

What programming languages are useful/better for interacting with websites. I want to be able to send input and then get output for a specific project.
Old 04-19-2021, 7:14 PM

You need to clarify what you're trying to accomplish.

Python can be readily used for web scraping. Here's a guide that describes this from elementary principles onward. https://realpython.com/beautiful-sou...s-web-scraping

If you're trying to say, fill out a form on a website automatically, and get some content/value from the page, programming LANGUAGES might not be the best solution.

For example, you can use iMacros to take a database of values, type them into web forms automatically, and retrieve information/content from the resulting pages. Imacros can do all sorts of web scraping as well. It can be commanded with JavaScript language, but this isn't a strict requirement. This is one of the few viable methods if the page you're interacting with has a captcha (I'm not a robot - type images) - since you can pause and have an human validate the captcha but let all other processes be automatic.

https://wiki.imacros.net/Introducing_iMacros

Example. You want to take a database (CSV) of first name, last name, DOB, address and automatically register the list of people for an event with an online form, and retrieve a confirmation ID/Receipt number from the page associated with each person. This could be done with imacros, Python or Javascript.

I like Python as a general purpose '**** around' do anything language because of the ease of syntax, huge community of support if you need it, and loads of built in modules. But for two way information with websites, imacros is the better solution IMO.
Old 04-19-2021, 8:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
You need to clarify what you're trying to accomplish.

Python can be readily used for web scraping. Here's a guide that describes this from elementary principles onward. https://realpython.com/beautiful-sou...s-web-scraping

If you're trying to say, fill out a form on a website automatically, and get some content/value from the page, programming LANGUAGES might not be the best solution.

For example, you can use iMacros to take a database of values, type them into web forms automatically, and retrieve information/content from the resulting pages. Imacros can do all sorts of web scraping as well. It can be commanded with JavaScript language, but this isn't a strict requirement. This is one of the few viable methods if the page you're interacting with has a captcha (I'm not a robot - type images) - since you can pause and have an human validate the captcha but let all other processes be automatic.

https://wiki.imacros.net/Introducing_iMacros

Example. You want to take a database (CSV) of first name, last name, DOB, address and automatically register the list of people for an event with an online form, and retrieve a confirmation ID/Receipt number from the page associated with each person. This could be done with imacros, Python or Javascript.

I like Python as a general purpose '**** around' do anything language because of the ease of syntax, huge community of support if you need it, and loads of built in modules. But for two way information with websites, imacros is the better solution IMO.

Thank you Fizz! That is the kind of info/help I was looking for and is what I wanted to do.