Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-16-2021, 8:51 PM
Veteran Member

Default current recommended website host ?

I will be launching a simple website soon, can someone please recommend a good, cheap and reliable host ?

is godaddy still good ?

thanks
Old 03-16-2021, 9:33 PM
In Memoriam

Godaddy screwed arfcom earlier this year.

https://thefederalist.com/2021/01/12...t-explanation/

— Michael
Old 03-16-2021, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

thanks , scratch them off the list,

I'm looking at hostinger and dreamhost now
Old 03-17-2021, 6:38 AM

I had godaddy for years, put my mechanic’s site onto godaddy and it sucked bad - so slow. Then, on my sites, I couldn’t upgrade Wordpress because PHP version on the server was like 5, and they would not help - said I had to buy a whole new upgraded hosting package.

Hostinger seemed good but appears to be based in Europe somewhere, if that matters. Their site wouldn’t take my payment over my work’s vpn (blocked?) I don’t know.

I went with DreamHost for 3 years. Moved 3 sites, one with email, and everything went smooth and easy. Email seems to be working well. No idea how good they really are at this point (only been a few months) time will tell.

Back in 2016 I put a 501c’s site on DreamHost running WP, at that time DreamHost provided free hosting to 501c - no idea if they still do, but it worked well for them.

Last edited by ponderosa; 03-17-2021 at 6:49 AM..
Old 03-17-2021, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderosa View Post
I had godaddy for years, put my mechanic’s site onto godaddy and it sucked bad - so slow. Then, on my sites, I couldn’t upgrade Wordpress because PHP version on the server was like 5, and they would not help - said I had to buy a whole new upgraded hosting package.

Hostinger seemed good but appears to be based in Europe somewhere, if that matters. Their site wouldn’t take my payment over my work’s vpn (blocked?) I don’t know.

I went with DreamHost for 3 years. Moved 3 sites, one with email, and everything went smooth and easy. Email seems to be working well. No idea how good they really are at this point (only been a few months) time will tell.

Back in 2016 I put a 501c’s site on DreamHost running WP, at that time DreamHost provided free hosting to 501c - no idea if they still do, but it worked well for them.
thanks, i had dreamhost 10 years ago but your comment pushed me back towards them
Old 03-17-2021, 7:35 AM

Check out Hostway. They used to be called Netwrok Solutions, one of the original registrars. I've been with them for many years. I never did get around to building the awesome website I had planned, but have been using the email hosting function for a long time with no issues.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My tiny host went under some years back, and recently wanted to get some domains back online and went with Host Gator https://www.hostgator.com. For my use (throwing up a number of small sites with email) the price and service work well for me.

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)
Old 03-17-2021, 2:30 PM
Calguns Addict

I use Linode for my website(s). Been using them since 2012. Rock solid.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 03-17-2021, 4:25 PM

Linode is just another cloud service provider, but their malware policing and security policies suck, and they get hacked quite often. I’d rethink that choice.
Old 03-17-2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacFan View Post
I will be launching a simple website soon, can someone please recommend a good, cheap and reliable host ?

is godaddy still good ?

thanks
Try epic and linode
Old 03-17-2021, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

so many choices. Also reading about github and heroku and aws or gcp

I have a python bot that i wrote that will dynamically create HTML pages on the fly and upload to the site
Old 03-18-2021, 2:11 AM

Been with Hostgator since since 2005. It's a reliable, cheap, shared hosting service with a lot of useful tech tools.
Old 03-18-2021, 7:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
Linode is just another cloud service provider, but their malware policing and security policies suck, and they get hacked quite often. I’d rethink that choice.
Eh? There is no malware or security policies for your VPS. It's up to you to handle it. Run modsec or some other type of serverside WAF and run it through cloudflare if you felt so inclined, and run your own internal malware scanning (e.g., clamav).

And when you say 'they get hacked quite often' are you talking about Linode the company? As far as I know, there's been know breaches to Linode infrastructure short of some large scale DDoS attacks against their Atlanta DC a year or so back.

If you're talking about Linode VPSes, then yes, lots of Linode VPSes get hacked because customers who run them don't know anything about security. But that can be said about all other IaaS providers like AWS, DigitalOcean, Google Cloud, etc. I see plenty of attacks from AWS and DigitalOcean owned IPs.

Last edited by ocabj; 03-18-2021 at 7:18 AM..
Old 03-18-2021, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
Eh? There is no malware or security policies for your VPS. It's up to you to handle it. Run modsec or some other type of serverside WAF and run it through cloudflare if you felt so inclined, and run your own internal malware scanning (e.g., clamav).

And when you say 'they get hacked quite often' are you talking about Linode the company? As far as I know, there's been know breaches to Linode infrastructure short of some large scale DDoS attacks against their Atlanta DC a year or so back.

If you're talking about Linode VPSes, then yes, lots of Linode VPSes get hacked because customers who run them don't know anything about security. But that can be said about all other IaaS providers like AWS, DigitalOcean, Google Cloud, etc. I see plenty of attacks from AWS and DigitalOcean owned IPs.
I run a few sites, and services on my own. I get a crapton of hack attempts and garbage connections from Linode hosts. When I report the IPs in question, I receive no response and no action is taken. They should be scanning all outbound traffic for signs of malware and hack attempts and shut it down promptly.

They don’t. They are on the same level as Russian botnets as far as I’m concerned if they don’t police their TOS and use policies and don’t respond to abuse notifications.

On the hacking side, they have been hacked into corporate through their administrative panel. There was a large Bitcoin wallet theft a couple years back due to that.

Inclusive of both of the above should be software minimums for their VPS software that enforces patching and vulnerability mitigation, there isn’t.

Should an individual wish to run their own stack in Linode instances, they should be financially responsible if hacked and damage ensues, or causes harm to others. No accountability exists. As a rule, I block all their subnets at the firewalls I control unless there is something specifically the account needs to access.

I’m honestly surprised they haven’t been sued out of business, yet.
Old 03-18-2021, 1:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
I run a few sites, and services on my own. I get a crapton of hack attempts and garbage connections from Linode hosts. When I report the IPs in question, I receive no response and no action is taken. They should be scanning all outbound traffic for signs of malware and hack attempts and shut it down promptly.

They don’t. They are on the same level as Russian botnets as far as I’m concerned if they don’t police their TOS and use policies and don’t respond to abuse notifications.

On the hacking side, they have been hacked into corporate through their administrative panel. There was a large Bitcoin wallet theft a couple years back due to that.

Inclusive of both of the above should be software minimums for their VPS software that enforces patching and vulnerability mitigation, there isn’t.

Should an individual wish to run their own stack in Linode instances, they should be financially responsible if hacked and damage ensues, or causes harm to others. No accountability exists. As a rule, I block all their subnets at the firewalls I control unless there is something specifically the account needs to access.

EDIT: I found the Bitcoin incident from 2012.

I’m honestly surprised they haven’t been sued out of business, yet.
I've never heard of the Linode corporate hack. I'll look into that.

As far as Linode VPSes getting hacked, well that's just like with any other IaaS. As far as who is responsible, I leave that up to legal.

When I've reported known/confirmed malicious traffic to Linode for Linode owned IPs, including fake auth pages being hosted, it's been taken down.

Last edited by ocabj; 03-18-2021 at 2:01 PM..
Old 03-18-2021, 5:52 PM

There’s also a hack from 2013 where they set up a public facing cold fusion instance that led to a DB breach and stealing of customer data including passwords.

And, again in 2015 when their 2FA was breached and the attackers targeted PagerDuty’s servers as they were on Linode, at the time.

And, then a Wordpress breach with resulting loss of confidential credentials to a few accounts in early 2016.

And then the DDOS campaign all through 2016.

The wiki page has a tiny bit more info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linode
Old 03-21-2021, 12:04 AM

I've been using Bluehost for a while now. Very easy to set up if you are using wordpress.
Old 03-21-2021, 7:40 AM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

I have been using Web.com for many years. They have several different plans depending upon your needs. They also offer security certificates and a 'site builder' if you you do not want to 'roll your own'.

Network Solutions is also good to go.
-P
Old 03-24-2021, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
so many choices. Also reading about github and heroku and aws or gcp

I have a python bot that i wrote that will dynamically create HTML pages on the fly and upload to the site
If you're at that level, then why not just get a business account w/ static IP address and host it yourself with, say, a FreeBSD or GNU/Linux box running, say, Apache or nginx? That's what I do. Raspberry Pi 4's with USB 3 SSD's are actually pretty good for this, and power-efficient, too.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 03-24-2021, 5:59 PM

If doing a small site with minimal traffic, “business” accounts will suffice. The killer is upstream bandwidth and whether you are throttled or really “uncapped” or “unlimited.” Plus some ISPs will still block ports they deem to allow the spread of malware.

If you have fiber (Verizon, Google) and host TBs per month, expect a letter to question your activity, or an outright disconnect.

Basically all residential bandwidth is subsidized by true business bandwidth, which is why caps exist. Get a full pipe and the price quickly goes up past any hosting scenario. Comcast business 100Mb outbound is like $500 a month. However, it is truly uncapped and all ports unblocked. You just have to deal with those knuckleheads that can’t find their hole with GPS and a guide.

Real dedicated bandwidth costs real money, which is why hosting companies share their pool of cross-connect at a colo, which results in far cheaper costs / byte.
Old 03-28-2021, 1:25 PM

Quote:

is godaddy still good ?

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
Godaddy screwed arfcom earlier this year.

https://thefederalist.com/2021/01/12...t-explanation/

— Michael
One thing to mention apropos to Godaddy: when Arfcom was booted from GD, they landed at Epik, which for good or bad has been one of the best defenders for 1A online, when others have caved who supposedly were touted as untouchable (Cloudflare, I’m looking at you). Epik isn’t perfect, but currently has a good track record for being neutral (keeping out of others’ 1A freedoms).

Also, important to note, that at one point Epik was also running on Linode instances for their hosting business and was kicked off Linode for their (Epik’s) values in regards to 1A.

Since the events of 1/6 and witnessing the cancel-aftermath, I went about moving my domains and cloud resources over to Epik, and finished this week. I don’t have too many moving parts that I don’t host myself, but I wanted to remind readers of this thread about this hosting choice and how it stands up to others.

Hope it helps.