Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-07-2021, 7:48 PM

I heard the asic miners were essentially nerfed. Technically they could hand the load no problem, but they dont have them to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2021, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Heaven forbid:

Graphics cards for millions of gamer kids and ammo for the average Joe gun owner!
Old 04-14-2021, 9:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

cruffler

what do you mean by drop? i check my bb page daily for what is in stock and only 2 items show as coming soon for six weeks. now.
Old 04-15-2021, 5:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
cruffler

what do you mean by drop? i check my bb page daily for what is in stock and only 2 items show as coming soon for six weeks. now.
They drop any incoming products onto the web site like Founders Edition Cards and whatever else they receive... you would have to open all the product tabs (like all 3080's) and check all those tabs or use a script to refresh and cart them in that painful two or three step carting process. They drop on Tuesdays and Fridays. Mostly Fridays AFAIK lately. It has been a while, so tomorrow might be the day.
Old 05-11-2021, 8:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If anyone is thinking of ordering a pre-built from DELL, they are shipping way ahead of estimates.
Old 05-11-2021, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
If anyone is thinking of ordering a pre-built from DELL, they are shipping way ahead of estimates.
i know others who decided to go this route and sold off their parts build. oddly and luckily as i was signing up email alerts, i managed to be lucky and saw a local place have it in stock. ordered online and said the heck with it. definitely future proofed more than I need to. could've saved more money with a lower model but decided... go big or go home! 'Murica!

cost a bit of coin and probably more so than all other parts combined. bhphoto sent me a few alerts last week and they're gone so quick (can't figure how to do desktop browser notification and only for bhphoto). called them and they tell me "oh, sorry those were mistakes !"

newegg had one (oddly not selling out after 3 days). not familiar with powercolor (6900xt) but as i read about it, some say it was a second tier manufacturer. stick with the top brands.

hopefully not a website fluke. waiting for confirmation for me to go locally and pickup.
Old 05-11-2021, 9:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
i know others who decided to go this route and sold off their parts build. oddly and luckily as i was signing up email alerts, i managed to be lucky and saw a local place have it in stock. ordered online and said the heck with it. definitely future proofed more than I need to. could've saved more money with a lower model but decided... go big or go home! 'Murica!
Nice. Congrats. I am more excited about the Ryzen 5600X than the GPU, hahah. It'll be nice to go back to AMD at least for a CPU.
Old 05-11-2021, 9:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i was starting to worry that by the time a gpu is available, i might as well sell the 3900x would be semi-obsolete and i'll have to sell at loss, and get a 5000 series cpu.
Old 05-12-2021, 6:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

So the Dell's have a ship estimate of about a month out but ship in 7 days.
Old 05-12-2021, 8:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So the Dell's have a ship estimate of about a month out but ship in 7 days.
Depends on what you are getting. We just ordered a batch of CAD machines a couple weeks ago and have an estimate of 6/8 for delivery. We get a bit of preference as we are local to them here and we spend 100's of thousands of dollars with them every year. They are trying to push them through quicker for us be we'll see. I think they said the delay this time was for the chassis. We use Quadro cards in the machines.
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb
Old 05-12-2021, 10:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
Depends on what you are getting. We just ordered a batch of CAD machines a couple weeks ago and have an estimate of 6/8 for delivery. We get a bit of preference as we are local to them here and we spend 100's of thousands of dollars with them every year. They are trying to push them through quicker for us be we'll see. I think they said the delay this time was for the chassis. We use Quadro cards in the machines.
Oh yeah, I am sure it varies. I was refering to the Alienware R12 custom builds specifically. I have heard of many people ordering them and getting a month or longer estimate, but shipping out 5-7 business days. Mine did the same. Who knows if they can do it now with word getting around. Best Buy often has the systems in stock also, but the Ryzens were hard to get. Mine is a pretty bare bones 5600X with a 3080. I have additional DDR4 and SSD's, monitors, Keyb/mouse sitting here for it. Ready to covert this old i5 into a rig frame.
Old 05-12-2021, 6:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Oh yeah, I am sure it varies. I was refering to the Alienware R12 custom builds specifically. I have heard of many people ordering them and getting a month or longer estimate, but shipping out 5-7 business days. Mine did the same. Who knows if they can do it now with word getting around. Best Buy often has the systems in stock also, but the Ryzens were hard to get. Mine is a pretty bare bones 5600X with a 3080. I have additional DDR4 and SSD's, monitors, Keyb/mouse sitting here for it. Ready to covert this old i5 into a rig frame.
If you want something quicker Dell does have a "cheat code" but I don't want to say what it is because we need machines fast and I don't want anyone grabbing them up.
Check it out I'm like a buzz bomb
Old 05-12-2021, 7:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

guess i'm back to drawing board. email today says "not in stock" (afterall).... and i had to purchase 2 more items to qualify to purchase the gpu. no disclaimer anywhere of this requirement.
Old 05-12-2021, 7:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
guess i'm back to drawing board. email today says "not in stock" (afterall).... and i had to purchase 2 more items to qualify to purchase the gpu. no disclaimer anywhere of this requirement.
What's the budget and where were you trying to order from?
Old 05-13-2021, 2:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It was from Central Computers. I figure they'll be higher as a brick and mortar. My budget was more 1.2-1.5k but for a higher end. Since it was the first I've seen in a while that's available, and I found very few sites that have this model (6900xt nitro+ oc by sapphire) to benchmark price. The ones I found, either were on par with Central Computers or much higher. So very disappointed it didn't come to be and required 2 more purchases (not sure if small $1-$5 item suffice). And I would've been willing to go over budget overclocked and all. Asus has something similar for $150-$200 less and still overclocked.

Do I need to pay to sign up for discord alerts? I figure discord is a service? Reddit has a post today about BB and they'll do drops for 3060 Ti. But all the time i kept refreshing, it wasn't coming up though I was 24 mins late. It was shared to me the BB app would be better for checkout but not better for finding what is available (in case BB favors app users). I had 2 opportunities in Feb for GPU. I managed to get it into the cart.. but oddly it was just hung and kept on thinking because of the slow checkout process. That's where someone else told me checking out on the app is better on BB. It uses different app servers.

I never saw availability of those GPUs (or other models I'm looking for) on BB since.

A co-worker of mine said he's building and he's using Radeon 470. but it's $450. I mean.. its that model like 5 years ago? and for almost $500? uggggh.. maybe $200-$250 to get me by and upgrade later.. but that's still dough being wasted to upgrade again.
Old 05-14-2021, 1:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It was from Central Computers. I figure they'll be higher as a brick and mortar. My budget was more 1.2-1.5k but for a higher end. Since it was the first I've seen in a while that's available, and I found very few sites that have this model (6900xt nitro+ oc by sapphire) to benchmark price. The ones I found, either were on par with Central Computers or much higher. So very disappointed it didn't come to be and required 2 more purchases (not sure if small $1-$5 item suffice). And I would've been willing to go over budget overclocked and all. Asus has something similar for $150-$200 less and still overclocked.

Do I need to pay to sign up for discord alerts? I figure discord is a service? Reddit has a post today about BB and they'll do drops for 3060 Ti. But all the time i kept refreshing, it wasn't coming up though I was 24 mins late. It was shared to me the BB app would be better for checkout but not better for finding what is available (in case BB favors app users). I had 2 opportunities in Feb for GPU. I managed to get it into the cart.. but oddly it was just hung and kept on thinking because of the slow checkout process. That's where someone else told me checking out on the app is better on BB. It uses different app servers.

I never saw availability of those GPUs (or other models I'm looking for) on BB since.

A co-worker of mine said he's building and he's using Radeon 470. but it's $450. I mean.. its that model like 5 years ago? and for almost $500? uggggh.. maybe $200-$250 to get me by and upgrade later.. but that's still dough being wasted to upgrade again.
You can get on Falcodrin Twitch channel for free and sign up on his Discord for free and get alerts for BB, Zotac, AMD, EVGA, etc... not that it really works unless you are lucky.

FWIW, I am on my new Alienware right now for the first time... just received it and installed two 16 gig DDR4 3600 dimms and three hard drives... going to clone the spinner onto the Samsung M.2 drive now and change the boot drive.

Seems like a solid PC. Ryzen 5600X is fast and the GPU looks fine for a DELL RTX 3080... nice tight little case, a free M.2, four ram slots, one obvious place for a large SATA drive, two slide out bays for SSD drives. Don't get this PC and expect a mining motherboard, but it is a solid PC IMHO. Hopefully it doesn't overheat- there seem to be enough vents. SATA RAID, attractive case. If you like those clear sided cases with UFO's inside and bathroom plumbing flowing nuclear waste that you can set sideways on top of your desk for Instagram, probably not your PC either, hahah.

You can probably put together the same system with a Ryzen 5600x and 3060ti for $1400 or so. I have some 3070's which is basically the same GPU and that's a great GPU.
Old 05-15-2021, 9:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Probably the top choice for customizable pre-builts:

https://www.letsbld.com/
Old 05-16-2021, 12:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The Alienware GPU needed some work. Overall good sturdy GPU design, but they didn't put thermal paste around all contact surfaces of GPU/Vram junction plate resulting in thermal throttling when mining for a while. I imagine gaming too

I noticed in the fix videos on YouTube, there is an excess of paste from the factory, so instead of waiting for my Noctua order (quieter fan, paste) I cracked the GPU and took the excess paste and spread it on the Vram plate surround (after removing those stickers). Resulting in no more throttling... 97 Mh/s for hours at 92c instead of 110c and then stalling out to 70 Mh/s.

I bet I can get it down below 90c when I get more paste.
Old 05-16-2021, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I re-did my dell laptop's thermal paste and got it 4-5C down.

Anyway, I found a 6700xt. paid $300-$400 more than what it normally would fetch for with other normal stores like bb, newegg (sold by newegg), bhphoto, asus, etc. not quite what i wanted (6800xt minimum or a 3080 /3080Ti) but what the heck. Now my kid is like "can i get your old desktop?" i ask why.. he said.."So I can complete my gaming rig." LOL I mean, his laptop is newer than the desktop and i put it on ssd and alreayd has 16gb of ram for his use and gave him my 1080p 27" monitor. kids these days...

of course, fedex didn't deliver yesterday. supposed to deliver today with signature required so kinda debating being stuck at home and risk it? or just contact fedex and have it delivered to local kinkos so i can pick it up.
Old 05-16-2021, 9:35 AM

Hey guys didn’t even know what the thread was at first just wanted to see what else idiots were hoarding. I’m glad I clicked on it. My daughter turns 15 in a few weeks and had been hoping for a computer for gaming. She has an Xbox but apparently PCs are better I haven’t built one in 15 years but it can’t be any different now, IF parts are out there.

Any advice? Get her a pony instead? (Kidding. No gifts that need feeding. This was going to be partial funded by her)

Red
Old 05-16-2021, 9:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I re-did my dell laptop's thermal paste and got it 4-5C down.

Anyway, I found a 6700xt. paid $300-$400 more than what it normally would fetch for with other normal stores like bb, newegg (sold by newegg), bhphoto, asus, etc. not quite what i wanted (6800xt minimum or a 3080 /3080Ti) but what the heck. Now my kid is like "can i get your old desktop?" i ask why.. he said.."So I can complete my gaming rig." LOL I mean, his laptop is newer than the desktop and i put it on ssd and alreayd has 16gb of ram for his use and gave him my 1080p 27" monitor. kids these days...

of course, fedex didn't deliver yesterday. supposed to deliver today with signature required so kinda debating being stuck at home and risk it? or just contact fedex and have it delivered to local kinkos so i can pick it up.
FedEx lags. I am waiting for a overdue delivery every week lately.

Congrats on the GPU. I like Nvidia, but any modern GPU probably plays decent games. I have a good sampling of 30 series and most are overkill for me as far as gaming.
Old 05-16-2021, 1:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
I haven’t built one in 15 years but it can’t be any different now, IF parts are out there.
gpu is the only thing that was hard to find (for me). i stopped looking at other parts for price benchmarking. though when I got my parts in January vs. bf2020 or before, I paid about $200 more overall (sans gpu). The mobo was $100 more vs. the original price I liked.

I looked at honey app's history of prices since all the parts I got were from amazon and were competitive enough vs. other areas.

now if you're not that picky about the gpu (another acquitance was going with a amd 570 for $400 or so), those you can find. maybe a 20'series nvidia.

all else, either hard to find or seriously marked up for scalper prices.
Old 05-16-2021, 7:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
Hey guys didn’t even know what the thread was at first just wanted to see what else idiots were hoarding. I’m glad I clicked on it. My daughter turns 15 in a few weeks and had been hoping for a computer for gaming. She has an Xbox but apparently PCs are better I haven’t built one in 15 years but it can’t be any different now, IF parts are out there.

Any advice? Get her a pony instead? (Kidding. No gifts that need feeding. This was going to be partial funded by her)

Red
What about a laptop?
Old 05-16-2021, 8:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
now if you're not that picky about the gpu (another acquitance was going with a amd 570 for $400 or so), those you can find. maybe a 20'series nvidia.

all else, either hard to find or seriously marked up for scalper prices.
Check out 1660 Supers too... comparable to a GTX 1080i IMHO... and they still make them and they are cheap if you see one at Best Buy. Obviously Miners know they hash 32 Mh/s which is decent... three of those really does equal a 3080 to a miner. To a really power hungry gamer, not as easy. The cards tend to be easier to get and even the SCALPER price is only $400-$550. 2070 Supers are a step up from that.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:42 PM

Well I finally won a Newegg shuffle after weeks of trying, scored a RTX 3080 with built in water block. What I REALLY wanted to win is a Ryzen 5950X, so now I have a choice, keep the 3080 because it's a bad *** GPU, or flip it on eBay and use the profit to fund a CPU. Since it's a pre hash rate limited card, should be worth a good chunk.
Old 05-21-2021, 7:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
Well I finally won a Newegg shuffle after weeks of trying, scored a RTX 3080 with built in water block. What I REALLY wanted to win is a Ryzen 5950X, so now I have a choice, keep the 3080 because it's a bad *** GPU, or flip it on eBay and use the profit to fund a CPU. Since it's a pre hash rate limited card, should be worth a good chunk.
That's a great card if you don't mind buying the AIO setup... pump and radiator, plumbing.

If you are not into it, sell it I guess. To me. Hahah.

CPU's are easier to score. A lot easier.
Old 05-22-2021, 1:01 PM

Quote:
That's a great card if you don't mind buying the AIO setup... pump and radiator, plumbing.

If you are not into it, sell it I guess. To me. Hahah.

CPU's are easier to score. A lot easier.
Sure, $2,500 and it's all yours!

I'm already planning to buy an AIO for the CPU, so I'll just extend the loop. Or I'll use a separate AIO for each. Yes CPUs are easier to come by, and I'm specifically looking for a 5950X (though the XT should be out soon). Around here and on eBay the going rate is about $950, so a little marked up, but they've come way down. I can swallow that. I'm not in a hurry though, I'll just keep trying to find one for normal retail.
Old 05-22-2021, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Sure, $2,500 and it's all yours!

I'm already planning to buy an AIO for the CPU, so I'll just extend the loop. Or I'll use a separate AIO for each. Yes CPUs are easier to come by, and I'm specifically looking for a 5950X (though the XT should be out soon). Around here and on eBay the going rate is about $950, so a little marked up, but they've come way down. I can swallow that. I'm not in a hurry though, I'll just keep trying to find one for normal retail.
I could buy another $2000 Alienware R10 with a 5600x and 3080 and save $400 hahah. You will like the 3080. For $300 the 5600x CPU seriously kicks butt.
Old 05-22-2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
For $300 the 5600x CPU seriously kicks butt.
Yeah I'm sure it does. I'm opting for the 5950X this go round because I'm going to be doing a lot of video and audio encoding, and already do a fair amount of photoshop and lightroom work and going to be getting into CAD, so the more cores the merrier.

This will be the first AMD PC I've built in many years, as I've been using Intel exclusively since the C2D chips were released, but the Ryzen 9 really stole Intel's thunder.
Old 05-22-2021, 4:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure it does. I'm opting for the 5950X this go round because I'm going to be doing a lot of video and audio encoding, and already do a fair amount of photoshop and lightroom work and going to be getting into CAD, so the more cores the merrier.

This will be the first AMD PC I've built in many years, as I've been using Intel exclusively since the C2D chips were released, but the Ryzen 9 really stole Intel's thunder.
Oh yeah. More cores is better for some things for sure. For my stuff, decent clocks on a few cores, or six cores is plenty. Probably overkill.

I'm definitely loving the the sheer speed of the R9 5900HS laptop and this R5 5600X desktop.
Old 05-26-2021, 4:10 PM

Welp, just won another Newegg shuffle for a 5950X. That and the GPU are the hardest to find parts by far, glad that's out of the way. I'm either going to flip the GPU on eBay since people are still paying stupid prices, or set up the new rig for mining. Leaning towards the latter as it will pay for the whole system over time, but I don't want to burn out the GPU. It's water cooled, so maybe it'll hold up better than one with fans.

Last edited by MrFancyPants; 05-26-2021 at 4:28 PM..
Old 06-03-2021, 7:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i thought the 3080ti and 3070ti was going to be released today. nada to be found anywhere.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
i thought the 3080ti and 3070ti was going to be released today. nada to be found anywhere.
That's the criticism of Nvidia from all sides... they can't even keep up with demand for 3060ti, 3080, 3090... and they release new GPU's you can't get that are basically like the ones they already have.

There were 3080ti in the New Egg Shuffle today so they had a few brands at NE already. Who knows how many.

Now if some of the AIB's use what they learned with the 3080 and 3090 and made the new ti's thermally superior by cooling the Vram sufficiently with healthy thermal pads and heat plates, fans, etc... that would be something.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm finding the Ryzen 5900HS laptop with a lowly 3060 a little powerhouse. Seems perfectly balanced CPU and GPU. Best laptop I have ever had, though sometimes I find the screen smallish, a 14" is nice to travel with. Keeps up with my desktops.
Old 06-04-2021, 7:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

New Egg Shuffle is live and there are three 3080ti's today. $1200 to $1800
Old 06-04-2021, 7:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

how long as newegg shuffle been around? LOL jesus.. i could've been using it before?

eh.. i tried it anyway. even if i have a gpu already though i can always resell and get a better one or one i really wanted.
Old 06-04-2021, 8:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
how long as newegg shuffle been around? LOL jesus.. i could've been using it before?

eh.. i tried it anyway. even if i have a gpu already though i can always resell and get a better one or one i really wanted.
Forever.
Old 06-04-2021, 9:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I mean, February.
Old 06-04-2021, 9:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

EVGA. Go sign up for the EVGA queue system and put in for all the 3060ti, 3070, 3080, 3090, 3080ti. A lot of people are just putting in the queue request for 3080ti today. EVGA will notify you and you will have 8 hours to buy a queue'd GPU when your number comes up. First come, not random. Find product you want, click autonotify.

https://www.evga.com/products/produc...+Series+Family
Old 06-04-2021, 3:49 PM

Quote:

Yeah the shuffle has been around for awhile now and it's the only way you can buy any of the high demand items from them. It's a lottery system and it's bull****. But, I was able to play the game and get a Ryzen 5950X and RTX 3080, though it did take me a few weeks.

The 3080 ti cards are out, but you have to play the same game to get them from Newegg. Look for more in the coming days.

Best Buy apparently got a shipment of the 3080 ti FE cards, so if you're willing to pay a stupid markup price of about $3k from the flippers, they're available.