Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns Expatriates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Expatriates For members who have left California but remain Calgunners

Old 03-05-2021, 6:23 AM

Default Idaho Curiosities: the story behind 99 rounds for enhanced ccw

Some of you California expats might wonder about the shooting requirement for the Enhanced CCW permit in Idaho. Interestingly, it's 98 rounds! But why??

It turns out that the original idea was to require 100 rounds of live fire. But several legislators were concerned that some ammo boxes would be one round short. Hence, the 98 round requirement was adopted.

By the way, the Idaho Enhanced CCW is well worth getting. You probably won't learn anything from the live-fire part - our instructor spent most of his time teaching two students how to load and fire their revolvers. However, the classroom part is time well spent. I found the presentation by a local attorney that specializes in gun law to be invaluable.

Last edited by Rotnguns; 03-05-2021 at 9:59 AM.. Reason: change # of rounds from 99 to 98 - thanks BA!
Old 03-05-2021, 6:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Now we know where Barney Fife was stealing that single round of ammunition from.
Old 03-05-2021, 6:59 AM
Calguns Addict

99 rounds seems like such a waste in these times.. for most anyway.

Likely only a one time, & can carry any sidearm you'd like, for ID.

I thought the Ca CCW new 20 rds/on permit firearm was bad enough.

Our guy only required 10.. was grateful, an all center mass.
Old 03-05-2021, 7:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post

I'd be good with it, as long as they let me pick up the used brass.
Old 03-05-2021, 7:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just curious since I am going tomorrow to my class for my CCW, but in Arizona. What is the difference between a regular and "enhanced" CCW in Idaho.
Old 03-05-2021, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post

Yep. Gotta renew the enhanced ccw permit every 5 years though.

We've got constitutional carry for everyone (inc non res) here, but the enhanced ccw provides lots of reciprocity and allows carry in certain areas in public colleges and universities. Also, the enhanced ccw allows you to skip the NICS call when you buy a firearm here.
Old 03-05-2021, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
Just curious since I am going tomorrow to my class for my CCW, but in Arizona. What is the difference between a regular and "enhanced" CCW in Idaho.
Idaho has constitutional carry for all folks who are not prohibited, resident or not. You can also get a card with your picture on it for presentation purposes if you wish.

The Enhanced concealed carry license allows you to carry in many areas of public colleges and universities. There's a bill under consideration to expand this to include k12.

Also, there's quite a few states that reciprocate with Idaho's enhanced ccw because it includes a minimum of 8 hours of live fire and classroom time. Presenting the enhanced ccw allows you to skip the NICS check when you buy a firearm in Idaho.
Old 03-05-2021, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotnguns View Post
Idaho has constitutional carry for all folks who are not prohibited, resident or not. You can also get a card with your picture on it for presentation purposes if you wish.

The Enhanced concealed carry license allows you to carry in many areas of public colleges and universities. There's a bill under consideration to expand this to include k12.

Also, there's quite a few states that reciprocate with Idaho's enhanced ccw because it includes a minimum of 8 hours of live fire and classroom time. Presenting the enhanced ccw allows you to skip the NICS check when you buy a firearm in Idaho.
I got a question hope you can answer, I have started my 6 month clock for residency. Is the enhanced CCW application through the County Sheriff or?
Old 03-05-2021, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Some of you California expats might wonder about the shooting requirement for the Enhanced CCW permit in Idaho. Interestingly, it's 99 rounds! But why??

It turns out that the original idea was to require 100 rounds of live fire. But several legislators were concerned that some ammo boxes would be one round short. Hence, the 99 round requirement was adopted.

By the way, the Idaho Enhanced CCW is well worth getting. You probably won't learn anything from the live-fire part - our instructor spent most of his time teaching two students how to load and fire their revolvers. However, the classroom part is time well spent. I found the presentation by a local attorney that specializes in gun law to be invaluable.
Interesting but not correct. The applicable section states: "Live fire training including the firing of at least ninety-eight (98) rounds by the student."
Old 03-05-2021, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Interesting but not correct. The applicable section states: "Live fire training including the firing of at least ninety-eight (98) rounds by the student."
Thanks for the correction, BA. For some reason 99 was stuck in my head. Barbara Feldon, maybe

Makes sense tho - some unlucky shooter could get shorted in two boxes...
Old 03-05-2021, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsr166 View Post
I got a question hope you can answer, I have started my 6 month clock for residency. Is the enhanced CCW application through the County Sheriff or?
It's through the sheriff dept in the county you reside.

Welcome to Idaho!
Old 03-05-2021, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsr166 View Post
Yes, the local Sheriff. Idaho will issue its enhanced permit to non residents who have a permit from their state of residence. My original Enhanced ID permit was based on the fact that I had a CA permit. When I moved from CA to ID, it was just a change of address.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
It's through the sheriff dept in the county you reside.

Welcome to Idaho!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Yes, the local Sheriff. Idaho will issue its enhanced permit to non residents who have a permit from their state of residence. My original Enhanced ID permit was based on the fact that I had a CA permit. When I moved from CA to ID, it was just a change of address.
Great, thanks much!
Old 03-05-2021, 10:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Thank you, Similar to Arizona, Constitutional carry without a permit but with a permit opens up more areas for you. Thank you for the explanation.
Old 03-05-2021, 3:27 PM

So I have to wait 60 days after moving here to get an enhanced carry permit? How do you determine the day you became a resident? Do you have to show proof with something? Doesn't a regular Idaho CWL let you skip the NICS check?
Old 03-05-2021, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout II View Post
So I have to wait 60 days after moving here to get an enhanced carry permit? How do you determine the day you became a resident? Do you have to show proof with something? Doesn't a regular Idaho CWL let you skip the NICS check?
I believe it’s 6 months.

Probably DL issue date.

iTrader
Old 03-05-2021, 8:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout II View Post
No 60 days, but 6 months. As far as I know, that's a requirement for both basic and enhanced CWL's...I had to wait 6 months for the basic when we moved up here in 2002. No enhanced license then.

Sheriff's office determines the day you became a resident based on paperwork you bring in showing first date of residency. We used the date that title passed to us on our place at the title company. A signed rental or lease agreement works. Not sure about power bill addresses, etc. Check online or call your local sheriff's office and ask.

Either CWL cancels the NICS check. Dealer verifies your ID via your CWL. 5 minutes and sometimes a discount on the transfer charge.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 03-05-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
No 60 days, but 6 months. As far as I know, that's a requirement for both basic and enhanced CWL's...I had to wait 6 months for the basic when we moved up here in 2002. No enhanced license then.

Sheriff's office determines the day you became a resident based on paperwork you bring in showing first date of residency. We used the date that title passed to us on our place at the title company. A signed rental or lease agreement works. Not sure about power bill addresses, etc. Check online or call your local sheriff's office and ask.

Either CWL cancels the NICS check. Dealer verifies your ID via your CWL. 5 minutes and sometimes a discount on the transfer charge.
I got my regular CWL only after two months of moving here. I had to take an online safety class and take the certificate with me to the place you get your drivers license. I gave them that cert and showed them my new Idaho drivers license and they fingerprinted me and said I will receive approval or denial in a few weeks. A few weeks later I received a letter saying I was approved. I then took that letter to the drivers license issuing place and they gave me my temporary CWL right there. Less than two weeks after that I received my real CWL which looks exactly like my drivers license.
I guess I have a little over three more months to wait before I can get my enhanced CWL.
Old 03-06-2021, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post

The law has been changed recently. Note that the application for CWL now has the qualifier: for enhanced concealed carry only on the 6 month residency question.

You can download the ccw application here: https://www.canyonco.org/elected-off...eapons-permit/
Old 03-06-2021, 7:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The law has been changed recently. Note that the application for CWL now has the qualifier: for enhanced concealed carry only on the 6 month residency question.

You can download the ccw application here: https://www.canyonco.org/elected-off...eapons-permit/
Thanks for the update.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 03-07-2021, 7:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Yea i got my basic Idaho CWP as soon as I moved here 4 years ago, no residency time limit required. Got it in 7 days. 6 months later I upgraded it to enhanced after i took the class, and also got my Oregon non resident permit. All super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk