Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-21-2022, 7:00 PM

Default Buying Ammo When out of State for Training or Competition

If I decide to shoot at a competition or training event out of state and have to fly there, such that I can't bring ammo in checked-in luggage (I think), is it legal for me to buy ammo at LGS there?

And is it legal for me to have checked guns and ammo in Greyhound buses or Amtrak trains for trips to the same?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2022, 7:05 PM

Pay cash.
Old 12-21-2022, 8:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxa1 View Post
If I decide to shoot at a competition or training event out of state and have to fly there, such that I can't bring ammo in checked-in luggage (I think), is it legal for me to buy ammo at LGS there?

And is it legal for me to have checked guns and ammo in Greyhound buses or Amtrak trains for trips to the same?

Thanks
You can fly with ammo. Check your airline to see how much you can take and how you need to pack it.

Have you ever taken a Greyhound or rode the Amtrak? If you have, why would you ever check a bag on either one? That being said, both of them say that you can't check firearms in your luggage.

You can buy ammo out of state, and you don't need to pay cash for it. As of right now YOU can't bring back ammo YOU bought. If your spouse is traveling with you, you can give it to them and they can bring it back.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 12-21-2022, 9:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Thanks
CA law on ammo purchases are not enforceable outside of CA.

As long as you do not bring any of the ammo back INTO CA, you are not breaking any laws.
Old 12-22-2022, 1:45 PM

I am no longer in CA but of course you can buy ammo when outside of CA..Or atleast in most places..Using your Wife as a ammo mule might be a good thing if you want to get rid of Her,LOL

I see no difference when outside, if you pay cash or card..Unless you were planning on smuggling it back in and they would possibly have a trace effect if you got caught at the border with it..

Last edited by AR22; 12-22-2022 at 1:47 PM..
Old 12-22-2022, 2:07 PM

Default `Tis the season.

It has been posted many times here on CalGuns. A spouse can purchase out of state and gift the ammo. Odd, but it is there.
Old 12-22-2022, 4:09 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Just pay cash. That will mitigate a lot of funny business.
Old 12-22-2022, 4:59 PM

You can check in firearms and ammo on Amtrak.

https://www.amtrak.com/firearms-in-checked-baggage
Quote:
Firearms in Checked Baggage

Amtrak accepts reservations of firearms and ammunition for carriage between Amtrak stations and on Amtrak trains within the United States that offer checked baggage service and a ticket office. Thruway Bus Services are not be included in this service. The following policies are in effect:

Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL. Online reservations for firearms/ammunition are not accepted.
The passengers must travel on the same train that is transporting the checked firearms and/or ammunition.
All firearms and/or ammunition must be checked at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled train departure. Some larger stations require that baggage be checked earlier. Please contact your departure station for more details.
All firearms (rifles, shotguns, handguns, taser guns, starter pistols) must be unloaded and in an approved, locked hard-sided container not exceeding 62" L x 17" W x 7" D (1575 mm x 432 mm x 178 mm). The passenger must have sole possession of the key or the combination for the lock to the container. The weight of the container may not exceed 50 lbs/23 kg.
Smaller locked, hard-sided containers containing smaller unloaded firearms such as handguns, taser guns and starter pistols must be securely stored within a suitcase or other item of checked baggage, but the existence of such a firearm must be declared.
All ammunition carried must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's container; in fiber, wood, or metal boxes; or in other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. The maximum weight of all ammunition and containers may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg.
The passenger is responsible for knowing and following all federal, state, and local firearm laws at all jurisdictions to and through which he or she will be travelling.
All other Amtrak checked baggage policies apply, including limits on the number of pieces of checked baggage, the maximum weight of each piece (50 lbs/23 kg).
Firearms/ammunition may not be carried in carry-on baggage; therefore, checked baggage must be available on all trains and at all stations in the passenger's itinerary.
At the time of check-in, passengers will be required to complete and sign a two-part Declaration Form.
BB guns and Compressed Air Guns (to include paintball markers), are to be treated as firearms and must comply with the above firearms policy. Canisters, tanks, or other devices containing propellants must be emptied prior to checking and securely packaged within the contents of the passenger's luggage.

Passengers failing to meet the above-mentioned requirements for checking firearms will be denied transportation.

To inquire about or begin the firearms reservation process, use the Contact Us page and select "Checked Firearms Program" as the subject and follow guidance.
I have taken Amtrak before and I would not trust them with checked firearms. Checked baggage often gets placed on carts and rolled out to the sides of the tracks 15 to 20 minutes before the train is expected to arrive. It is then often left unattended, especially at smaller stations. The last trip I took from Galesburg, IL to Sacramento, the train was running 90 minutes late and the checked luggage was sitting trackside, unattended for nearly two hours.

On this trip I was very concerned about checked luggage because I had helped my son move to Illinois and brought a couple of guns with me. He moved to a place near the Underwood factory so I stopped by and stocked up.

I was going to rent a car and drive back but decided to take Amtrak back even though it was more expensive.

I did my research and found that many just carried their guns on board with them inside of carry on bags with no issues if they had a sleeping room. Traveling coach was harder because there was no place to secure it and the railroad police have broad authority to search unattended bags that are not secured in sleeping rooms.

So, I might have taken a chance and placed my guns and ammo in two carry on backpacks that had some clothes stuffed around them then checked in two bags with things I did not need to have access to for the two day trip.

Most who have been caught reportedly were kicked off the train at the next stop though it could be charged as a felony. It was just easier to kick the person off than deal with the paperwork to file federal charges.

If you are going out of state to compete, it is likely better to fly than take Amtrak. Amtrak coach is uncomfortable sleeping overnight and getting a sleeping room makes it more expensive than flying business class or often even first class. A 2,000 mile trip takes two days, and that is if Amtrak goes that way, it does not go to many places.

You could even rent a car for less than a Amtrak ticket in many cases.

I find flying to be stressful and prefer driving. Any competition or training event within 1000 miles I would have no issues driving to so I would not have to deal with the hassles of checking in guns and ammo.

As for buying ammo out of state, you will find it much easier than buying in CA; that is if you are in a free state and not another nanny state. You just pick what you want off the shelf and take it to the cashier and pay for it. The only question you will be asked is cash or card.

If you buy more than you can shoot, legally you cannot bring it back but there will not be anyone asking you at the CA about the ammo you have with you.

There are ways to legally bring it back though. Do you have a spouse, parents, grandparents living in CA? If so, mail it to them. You can legally give it to them without having to be sent to a ammo vendor for a background check.

If you have a spouse go with you out of state, have the spouse buy the ammo and give it to you. This allows you to legally bring it back. You can have an out of state parent or grandparent buy it and then you can buy it from them and then you can legally bring it back.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 12-22-2022, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

Question: Do you know of anyone who has been checked for ammo at the California border?
Old 12-23-2022, 8:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I’d say pay cash also when buying gun stuff out of state. If I was buying food, water, alcohol at an out of state Costco no worries paying with credit card.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 12-23-2022, 9:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
Question: Do you know of anyone who has been checked for ammo at the California border?
I don't know anyone personally and I have never heard if it actually happening.
But even still, I would probably not mention if you are bringing guns, ammo, high VOC chemicals, internal combustion engines, illegal aliens or fruit back that you purchased out of state when you stop at the immigration or agriculture checkpoints.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 12-23-2022 at 9:37 AM..
Old 12-23-2022, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Going out of state to Wyo and Nebraska ammo for our deer/antelope rifles and ammo for our sidearms no issues. Sometimes the guys at the back into cali check station would ask if we were returning hunters and direct us to the office for forms declaring what game animals we brought back. NOTHING about ammo or firearms.

Psalm 1
Old 12-23-2022, 10:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you buy and shoot ammo out of state, can you bring the brass back here?
Old 12-23-2022, 11:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Southwest Tariffs allow for up to 11 pounds of ammo in checked baggage, contained in factory packaging or equivalent. I just flew into CA with 50 rounds of 30-30 and 500 rounds of .22.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 12-23-2022, 8:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
If you buy and shoot ammo out of state, can you bring the brass back here?
Of course.
Fired cases are not ammunition so they are not regulated in any way.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
CA law on ammo purchases are not enforceable outside of CA.

As long as you do not bring any of the ammo back INTO CA, you are not breaking any laws.
This...

@OP - When I have to buy ammo for training/competition, I pay in CREDIT but have them shipped to an out-of-state address, ie., hotel. Or for cases that I need to pick-up, I will have the shop just use their address for delivery that I will pick them up...

Do NOT overthink this...

Quote:

Thanks

_
Old 12-24-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
I was about to ask the same question.
California comes up with plenty of laws they do not enforce, this is one of them.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-24-2022, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

A quick semi-relevant story ...

I was stopped at the agriculture stop on I-10 because they thought one of my daughter's houseplants (easily visible through the window) was problematic.

When I pulled over, the inspector was very polite and she emphatically stated she was just looking at the plant. Her behavior backed that up, she was not taking the opportunity to investigate my SUV for other things.

Once she had validated that the plant was OK, I was on my way.

I have been through the border hundreds of times - going to Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona - and this was the only time I have been stopped.

Take that any way you want.
Old 12-24-2022, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billped View Post
A quick semi-relevant story ...

I was stopped at the agriculture stop on I-10 because they thought one of my daughter's houseplants (easily visible through the window) was problematic.

When I pulled over, the inspector was very polite and she emphatically stated she was just looking at the plant. Her behavior backed that up, she was not taking the opportunity to investigate my SUV for other things.

Once she had validated that the plant was OK, I was on my way.

I have been through the border hundreds of times - going to Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona - and this was the only time I have been stopped.

Take that any way you want.
I live forty miles from Reno and go there pretty regularly. I also have to pass the ag station on I-80 on my way back from the Washoe shooting range and the shooting range near Boca Reservoir.

I've never been stopped. When I came back from hunting up near Elko in October, I told the agent I had a deer in the back and she directed me to the office.

As a practical matter it is simply impossible for the Ag stations or any other checkpoint on the California border to stop and search every car, or even ask the occupants of every car if they have any contraband. They'll do spot checks, but I'm pretty certain fruit flies and other pests are a bigger issue at the Ag stations than anything else you have, and that's true just about everywhere.

If you're in another state and purchase ammunition, the California DOJ can't do anything about it unless you bring the stuff back with you, so there's no need to worry about using a credit card.

I drive north on US 395 several times a year with firearms and ammunition in my vehicle. Some is reloaded, some is store bought. I drive out of California at the border just west of Verdi and back into California just past Bordertown north of Reno. The way I see it, as long as I'm not doing the kinds of stupid that tend to attract the attention of law enforcement, no one is going to bother me and I'm not going to worry about ammunition I export to Nevada for a few minutes when I leave California and then import when I reenter the state.

Maybe I'm just not sufficiently about this stuff.
Old 12-27-2022, 8:52 AM

Went on a multi state, month long trip this summer. Came back into Californian via Hwy 6, if I remember correctly.
Checkpoint employee just waived us on. Covered pickup bed, no red flag for him. Bug splatters almost changed the color of my red truck, no red flag for him. He was busy talking on a phone….couldn’t be bothered.
The first thing that came to mind was I should have listened to my buddy in Idaho. “You guys still have ammo issues down there right? Buy some here.” I should have listened!!

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-27-2022, 9:57 AM

maybe ask the event organizer if they could supply the ammo for a cost?

if you shoot a lot or need more rare ammo at the event, i'd consider buying online ahead and have the hotel or someone local take delivery of it.

if it's a hunting event with limited ammo, most airlines do allow ammo locked and checked. personally, i would put the firearm in a non descript large case so it's not stolen at the baggage claim. small brief cases can be easily taken
Old 12-28-2022, 10:09 PM

I came across this article on California Carry that has lots of good information about buying ammo out of state and the laws concerning CA Agriculture Inspection Stations and the legal requirements to stop for inspections.

https://www.californiacarry.org/out-...purchases.html

The only information the author got wrong was the first violation of illegally importing ammo into CA is an infraction with a fine up to $100 and not a misdemeanor as stated in the article. Also, importing large capacity magazines is a wobbler, not charged as an infraction or a misdemeanor as stated.

In the past, the CA DOJ and Dr. Wintemute of the Violence Prevention Research Center at the UC Davis Med Center have together and separately conducted operations at gun shows and gun stores in Reno to catch CA residents buying things that are not legal to own in CA and then have the CHP pull them over when they return to CA. A few years prior to COVID, Dr. Wintemute got funding to purchase some license plate readers to be used at the I-80 Ag Station that would alert the CHP at the nearby truck inspection station when a flagged vehicle was approaching. CHP officers would then be sent to meet the vehicle at the inspection station to conduct a vehicle search as they already had a search warrant in hand.

The situations I was made aware of were people buying and importing large capacity magazines or guns.

IMHO, they are not going to waste a lot of time and effort to write a ticket for an infraction with a fine of $100 when there are many exceptions that allow one to legally import ammo purchased out of state. The situation becomes more muddied because one can take ammo out of CA and bring it back into CA. So if you happened to lose the original packaging and mix it in with your CA purchased ammo and say I am returning to CA with ammo that I left the state with, what is the officer going to do?

I buy the majority of my ammo out of state. About half of it is purchased in NV because I travel to either Reno or Carson City at least every other month. I do have my FFL03 and COE so I can legally import any ammo I purchase out of state. I buy out of state so I do not have to stand in line and go through the background check and give CA any more tax money than I have to.

I also drive to Illinois three times a year to visit my son and I usually stop at Cabelas on I-80 just before entering CA. I use the restroom and buy ammo. I can get gas also. I also usually have lots of ammo that I have purchased as a few other stores along the way.

I have yet to be stopped. Since COVID, I am usually just waved through the Ag station on I-80 and a few times there was not anybody there to wave you through.

If you are really concerned about the Ag. Inspection stations, then avoid them. There are only 16 inspection stations and easily ten times the number of roads that cross the CA border without going anywhere near an inspection station. The majority of the trans-Sierra highways take you to NV without going anywhere near an Agriculture Inspection station.

Where I live in Central CA, the route I most often take to NV or AZ, mostly on state highways, avoids southern CA traffic and agricultural inspection stations. The only one I regularly go through is traveling north on I-5 to Oregon. If I travel to Klammath Falls to visit my relatives there, I miss the one on 97 because I take the faster short cut to avoid traffic that the locals use.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 12-29-2022, 6:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Here's the law in question.

If you are traveling with your spouse, registered domestic partner or immediate family member you can "gift" the ammo "you" bought to them and they may legally bring the ammo back to CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Penal Code

(a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a resident of this state shall not bring or transport into this state any ammunition that he or she purchased or otherwise obtained from outside of this state unless he or she first has that ammunition delivered to a licensed ammunition vendor for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 30312.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:

(1) An ammunition vendor.

(2) A sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer’s duties.

(3) An importer or manufacturer of ammunition or firearms who is licensed to engage in business pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

(4) A person who is on the centralized list of exempted federal firearms licensees maintained by the Department of Justice pursuant to Article 6 (commencing with Section 28450) of Chapter 6 of Division 6.

(5) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710.

(6) A person who acquired the ammunition from a spouse, registered domestic partner, or immediate family member as defined in Section 16720.

(c) A violation of this section is an infraction for any first time offense, and either an infraction or a misdemeanor for any subsequent offense.

(Added November 8, 2016, by initiative Proposition 63, Sec. 8.7.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 01-01-2023, 7:14 AM
Calguns Addict

People actually stop at the ag stations? You do realize they are not law enforcement?

I stopped stopping after I followed a Suburban loaded with pot plants from Medford into Ca.
All they did was look at the pot plants and let the guy pass.

I pulled up and asked wtf…the employee said, “what can I do? I’m not a cop”.

I said well those are plants from out of state but you want to take my orange.

Never stop now. Just Cruz on through.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.