Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-10-2017, 9:25 PM

Default My .02 on making the most of "combat rifle" in CA

OK if you are reading this you are probably CA and if you're on calguns you have at least 2-3 ar-15 type firearms.

Now I think the ideal "suburban carbine" is an SBR but thats not happening anytime soon in CA so the next best thing is an arm brace without getting into the whole shoulder/no shoulder deal cheek weld is legit but, if its SHTF and Los Angeles is burning down I don't think anyone is going t care during or after if the thing touches my shoulder. Being a ca once again limited to 11 within the gun at all times, I think the heavier the cartridge the better as long as one can control it, ergo I have a love affair with .300 blackout and the ballistics on a ca legal 10" pistol are pretty solid and recoil is controllable. After that BUIS are just a sane thing to have, but a red dot with zero magnification or better yet holo are perfect in my opinion inside 100 yards and realistically altercations in the suburbs at over 100 yards? not going to happen. I would think a light but effective flashlight would be useful and wouldn't take up much room/weight. I Don't see a reason to put a ton of gadgets on a carbine, So I'm left with what I believe is the perfect suburban carbine with enough punch and just enough range but super light/compact all by playing with CA rules. Anyone's thoughts on their idea of the perfect CA compliant combat rifle?

K: I don't "retire" my own kind, because we don't run...
Old 07-10-2017, 9:59 PM

Arm brace is only relevant on lowers that are registered as pistols. You can't buy AR pistol lowers anymore, right?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:21 PM
In Memoriam

My 16 inch barrelled, Sully stocked, 5.56, featureless M4gery.

-- Michael
Old 07-10-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyduck View Post
Arm brace is only relevant on lowers that are registered as pistols. You can't buy AR pistol lowers anymore, right?
Oh I was smart enough to get my AR pistol in the door grandfathered nice and legal. And yes, its my strong opinion the next best thing to an SBR legally in CA is a pistol with an arm brace. Tonson has it absolutely right in my opinion if everything goes to hell or just simple life and death weather it actually is an SBR makes no difference to me at all. Frankly if there was a home intruder kicked in my door wielding a weapon, and I shot an advancing attacker, you don't think the LEO investigating would say, "now when you shot the guy with the knife approaching you, you didn't have that rubber thing pressed against your shoulder like a rifle? like an SBR did you?" I have faith if a LEO knew I justifiably shot someone they wouldn't care.

Slo, in my opinion, my perfect AR is half mp5, light room clearing agile and half high powered carbine, damn lethal @ 100 yards. What I'm giving up in velocity in .300 BLK in a 10" vs a 16" is Well worth losing for maneuverability. with 110 grain load the FPS loss is less than 200 fps. Tight hallways, the short barrel is always the better choice,in my opinion.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Wretch
CGN Contributor

When SHTF, "featureless" goes out the window.
That's cool I don't do glocks.
“Republicans, you better VOTE on November 6th! Let’s keep winning!” -@RyanAFournier
Old 07-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyson View Post
When SHTF, "featureless" goes out the window.
eh, featureless makes no practical difference anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.
Old 07-11-2017, 6:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloChicken View Post
It does. Typical featureless grips just don't have the amount of leverage to control the rifle one handed and is harder to retain. At least in my experience. If someone has a better featureless grip, I'm all ears.

A buddy of mine really liked the 10.5" carbines in Iraq/Afghanistan. But SBRs are off the table for practically everyone here, so moot.

The whole "SHTF" fantasy is fine and dandy to talk about. But here's the thing. Unless the entire country has collapsed and we're staring at a neo-dark age, you'll probably not want to be running around willy nilly committing felonies. There will already be plenty of people doing that.

Hurricane Katrina is a good example of what might happen here if the "big one" were to hit. Sure, it might seem apocalyptic at the time, but there is still a govt presence and there will be consequences after all is said and done. There may even be an increased police or National Guard presence and increase the likelihood of being arrested.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogy View Post
Hurricane Katrina is a good example of what might happen here if the "big one" were to hit. Sure, it might seem apocalyptic at the time, but there is still a govt presence and there will be consequences after all is said and done. There may even be an increased police or National Guard presence and increase the likelihood of being arrested.
This. Riots/natural disaster etc... Where criminals can get opportunistic is the most realistic scenario and what I'd consider SHTF. A total breakdown and dysfunction of government wont happen in our lifetimes.

Mostly self preservation and preventing yourself from being an easy target much like those guys during the riots out here. At least until stability is restored.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

The only reason to be running around with less than 14.5" is if you are running a suppressor.
Otherwise, you are losing punch for no appreciate/practical ergonomic gain. If quarters are that tight where you cannot negotiate a 28" rifle, then you better be ready for some hand to hand.

Quote:
Old 07-10-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
If quarters are that tight where you cannot negotiate a 28" rifle, then you better be ready for some hand to hand.
I resonate the most with this right here.

I'm down with a .300 blk build, just haven't gotten there yet. Dream would be a supressed 9"piston AR pistol with a Sig brace.

Send me pics of your: Colt Detective Special, AMT Hardballer, pre-64 Winchester Model 70. I'm looking for them.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

bullpup rifle.

the tavor comes to mind as it is what i want. making it ca legal is to weld on the muzzle brake, but when SHTF, just drill that brake off and now you have a 26" rifle.

another is the ps90. same thing, drill out welded on brake, and i believe it is shorter than 26". only downside is the scarcity of ammo. you won't be finding any large amounts anywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

Last edited by Scratch705; 07-10-2017 at 10:38 PM..
Old 07-10-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
When the "target" is hit by a 5.56 from a featureless or full featured AR will the "target" Know the difference ?..

NRA Patron Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
California Rifle & Pistol Association Member

I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. –Stephen Covey
كافر
Old 07-10-2017, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurps View Post
When the "target" is hit by a 5.56 from a featureless or full featured AR will the "target" Know the difference ?..
They won't. They won't know you're reloading slower, nor that u have barely a grasp of the weapon when moving or that a little girl can swat the rifle off your hands. All they'll know is that you bit the bullet much easier than the other guy with the featured rifle. LOL
Old 07-11-2017, 7:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post
They won't. They won't know you're reloading slower, nor that u have barely a grasp of the weapon when moving or that a little girl can swat the rifle off your hands. All they'll know is that you bit the bullet much easier than the other guy with the featured rifle. LOL
You must have little girly hands - u come up to me like that and u willl get a nice buttstroke to the side of your noggin

Quote:
Old 07-12-2017, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
bullpup rifle.

the tavor comes to mind as it is what i want. making it ca legal is to weld on the muzzle brake, but when SHTF, just drill that brake off and now you have a 26" rifle.

another is the ps90. same thing, drill out welded on brake, and i believe it is shorter than 26". only downside is the scarcity of ammo. you won't be finding any large amounts anywhere
Tavor has a 16" barrel already. It doesn't need to be welded to make up the extra length. Only if the barrel was shorter then 16" it needs to be permanent.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Old 07-10-2017, 10:45 PM

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 07-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Calguns Addict

lol he said featureless during a SHTF scenario

If things were really collapsing would you be worried about the legality of your rifle or your survival ?

I look at it this way , if the military can trust their lives to a rifle that has a 16 or 14.7 in barrel than you should be able as well. You can totally run MOUT type ops with these rifles. I dont see the advantages of a 10in pistol vs a 14.7/16in barrel . To me this is one of those Your Weapon vs Your Training situations
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 07-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

If you dont have gen 3 nods but have multiple craptastic AR's (especially those chambered in .300 blackout without a suppressor which is retarded), you're wrong. Expensive, sure. Suck it up, buttercup. 24 hour guns > 12 hour guns

Last edited by CouchOperator; 07-10-2017 at 11:25 PM..
Old 07-11-2017, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
If you dont have gen 3 nods but have multiple craptastic AR's (especially those chambered in .300 blackout without a suppressor which is retarded), you're wrong. Expensive, sure. Suck it up, buttercup. 24 hour guns > 12 hour guns
Do you find your nods useful when the power goes out in the basement?

Quote:
Old 07-10-2017, 11:30 PM

Personally I think a good milspec quality AR in a legal configuration that works for you. Plenty of manual of arms practice so using that weapon will be second nature.

A weapons light is a must as well as a magazine release and an overall lightweight maneuverable firearm. Everything else is purely gravy on top. Beyond that in a SHTF scenario, food + water + med kits would be a major priority.

You can get a lot farther using your head than your gun!
Old 07-11-2017, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

SHTF all compliance is going out the window. I'll take my Scar 17 out with all the features enabled.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Mini 14

In a defensive situation, accuracy past 50 yards is just a bonus
Old 07-11-2017, 6:03 AM
Calguns Addict

My take is IF S ever hits the ventilator on a national scale...then it would not matter how your firearms are configured.

Now for living within the legal parameters of CA law there are plenty of options for handy carbines.

Here are a couple of mine that I would have no problem calling on for that role.

*note the SCR now has a 18" barrel as I use it for coyote hunting mainly.

And below is a recent video of myself and my friend using are FRS-15 equipped 9mm AR's in a USPSA match...plenty handy and good to 100 yards.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
My take is IF S ever hits the ventilator on a national scale...then it would not matter how your firearms are configured.

Now for living within the legal parameters of CA law there are plenty of options for handy carbines.

Here are a couple of mine that I would have no problem calling on for that role.

*note the SCR now has a 18" barrel as I use it for coyote hunting mainly.

And below is a recent video of myself and my friend using are FRS-15 equipped 9mm AR's in a USPSA match...plenty handy and good to 100 yards.

Nice guns. I want one of those Montecarlo stocked SCR's. I haven't checked lately, I wonder if the lowers are around now. I have a 20" on my SCR sporter.

Be careful someone doesn't slap that Thordsen out your hands, hahah.
Old 07-11-2017, 7:07 AM

Hey OP,
I'm here and have zero AR15's so stop assuming. We all know what assume does.
Jon
Old 07-11-2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
Hey OP,
I'm here and have zero AR15's so stop assuming. We all know what assume does.
Jon
well I was half joking but, its never to late to see the glory that is Eugene stoner . Anything that works reliably and lobs a lethal chunk of lead is ok by me. My father loves his mini14 and I love my dad we've unofficially been a "Ruger family" since the 70's. He looks at my AR and says "too complicated".

Bansh88,
Regarding the 10 round elephant in the room I'd say nobody here has intention of braking any ca laws especially in peace time but, I think everyone with a 10/30 has cordless dremel/screwdriver/ some kind of tool to FIX the magazines if its life or death in a hot minute. This thread is about playing by CA rules and not getting caught off guard.

Old 07-11-2017, 7:24 AM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Obviously, the best thing to do is try your hardest to avoid any firefight. The idea of the perfect firearm is probably what is perfect for you. One that you are completely familiar with and practiced with.

Personally, I like the M92 instead of the pistol AR for the faux SBR duty, mainly because I have some.

But if it were really happening I would grab a SCAR 16 or 17 with folding stock. Easy to get into and out of car. Easier to somewhat conceal under a big jacket while still delivering full power and more barrier penetration. Common cartridge too.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-11-2017 at 7:29 AM..
Old 07-11-2017, 7:37 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting Choice OP. I have some of the same feelings as you.
Attachment 621392

Last edited by Calico1404; 08-01-2017 at 12:17 PM..
Old 07-11-2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico1404 View Post
Interesting Choice OP. I have some of the same feelings as you.
Attachment 621392
Very nice

This is my opinion of the perfect CA suburban carbine, the paper is the ATF sig brace letter for ignorant LEO.

Old 07-11-2017, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman1984 View Post
Very nice

This is my opinion of the perfect CA suburban carbine, the paper is the ATF sig brace letter for ignorant LEO.

Thats a big pile of junk, no offense
Old 07-11-2017, 8:16 AM

SHTF and you're still running 10 round magazines?

OK.
Old 07-11-2017, 8:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My house gun is a 14.5" pinned with all lightweight parts. It has an Aimpoint C-3 red dot. It also has a linear compensator to direct noise/blast away from the shooter.
Old 07-11-2017, 8:49 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Got mah home def self def STFH close quarter blah blah humma Schumma herp a derp EMP EOW ready for Mad Max blah blah Red Dawn merca good2go hunker down bugout bag rock n roll preppd up for apocalypse Internet Walter Mitty cyber diahrrea gum flapping fantasy nonsense
Old 07-11-2017, 9:22 AM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Got mah home def self def STFH close quarter blah blah humma Schumma herp a derp EMP EOW ready for Mad Max blah blah Red Dawn merca good2go hunker down bugout bag rock n roll preppd up for apocalypse Internet Walter Mitty cyber diahrrea gum flapping fantasy nonsense
Arrgh! ^^^ Destroyer of fun and fantasy, mixed with some real world considerations. You should be ashamed of yourself...lol.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Arrgh! ^^^ Destroyer of fun and fantasy, mixed with some real world considerations. You should be ashamed of yourself...lol.
He is just pissed because he finally took couchoperator's advice and got himself NODs but he can't see the keyboard d/t the bloom off the screen.

Hey Couch, how do you wear the Nods in your cubicle, - do you have a night vision capable computer monitor?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Quote:
Old 07-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
He is just pissed because he finally took couchoperator's advice and got himself NODs but he can't see the keyboard d/t the bloom off the screen.

Hey Couch, how do you wear the Nods in your cubicle, - do you have a night vision capable computer monitor?

NOD's is useless and no points in bying. FBI Starling will here you thumbedcock that Python, turn around shoot the windows and blinded you. You know what happened afters. She won's and you lose'd, Nod's n' all
Old 07-11-2017, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

My cubicle was moved into the basement, so bright lights arent an issue. Also, thats my stapler
Old 07-11-2017, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My cubicle was moved into the basement, so bright lights arent an issue. Also, thats my stapler
LOL!

Quote:

Last edited by SloChicken; 07-11-2017 at 1:40 PM..
Old 07-11-2017, 4:27 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My cubicel is a tactical one because put those kevelor liners in it.