Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 01-13-2022, 1:19 PM

Default Olight Baldr Pro R Review

https://youtu.be/KFEgwlyeIg0

Olight sent me a Baldr Pro R to test and evaluate. It's marketed as a 1350 lumen light but in my tests, it only stays that way for 1.5 minutes. Upon checking the manual, sure enough the performance diagram showed that a fully powered unit output 1350 lumens for only 1.5 minutes before it stepped down to 500 lumens for the next 40 minutes of run-time before dropping to 300 lumens for the final 13 minutes.

In all other respects the flashlight worked flawlessly. The built-in green laser was bright and I could see it clearly at 120ft away at night. The laser can be turned on in conjunction with the light and easily seen in both high and low flashlight modes (though more easily in low). Checking with a laser bore-sighter, the unit was also perfectly sighted to my Glock 17 when I first mounted it; the laser can be adjusted for both windage and elevation with the included hex wrench.

Despite the misleading lumen numbers, I am impressed with the overall ergonomics and build of the Baldr Pro R. I’ll be mounting it on my personal sidearm (Glock 17 Gen3) for long-term testing.

GET 10% OFF THE O-LIGHT STORE
CODE: “MOONDOG10”
https://shrsl.com/3bts9

ALSO AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
https://amzn.to/3eBUYqk

::This review was originally published on my blog moondogindustries.com::

Watch my gun and ammo product reviews Moondog Industries
and gadget reviews Moondog R&D |
NRA CRSO | NRA Life Member |
Coyote Point Rifle & Pistol Club Webmaster |
www.MoondogIndustries.com
Old 01-16-2022, 10:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hard No!
Made in China - I'd rather by US made.
Rechargeable, built in battery, no ability to just pop out discharged battery and replace with the fresh one.
More expensive, $180 on your link on Amazon, then compatible Streamlight 69260 TLR-1 HL 1000-Lumen for $127 (and, I recently bought from Amazon for $111 new).
I'd rather use US made, cheaper Streamlight with proven field use and tested track record.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

MyOdessa
Hard No!
Made in China - I'd rather by US made

Should be us assembled....you do realize that all of the circuitry and most likely the led in that light are all made in china

www.streamlight.com – Some of their top tier lights like the Stinger and Strion series are assembled in the USA but most of their items are made overseas.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingransom View Post
MyOdessa
Hard No!
Made in China - I'd rather by US made

Should be us assembled....you do realize that all of the circuitry and most likely the led in that light are all made in china

www.streamlight.com – Some of their top tier lights like the Stinger and Strion series are assembled in the USA but most of their items are made overseas.
Overseas does not = China. US gets a lot of its electronics from Taiwan, among others.

P.S. You can just hit "Quote" button, no need to copy and paste.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:27 PM

Additionally, about Olight lights from this thread - https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1768172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitori View Post
If you want to burn a hole in your pocket with a general purpose light, Olight is fine for the budget minded. But Olight is not a legitimate maker of self defense lights. They have been caught paying social media influencers for positive reviews, and their products are not taken seriously by nationally recognized self defense instructors. The 3 companies that make lights for self defense applications would be Surefire, Streamlight and Modlite (and soon, Cloud Defense). This will make the "just as good as", "I've never had a problem with it" and "works for me" budget tier light fanboys upset, I know.

Nobody who has received quality defensive fireaerms training with weapon mounted lights are out there recommending Olight, and every YouTube review touting Olight has been bought and paid for.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Myodessa

When I'm looking at Calgins on my cell phone I'm not able to hit the quote button, it doesn't even show up. Most likely my ghetto phone
Old 01-16-2022, 3:01 PM

Ever notice how many Olight and MantisX "reviews" include affiliate links?

Old 01-16-2022, 4:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have never used an Olight but I am surprised by the haters. Until now I've always heard and read good things.

I'm a bit of a gear snob as it is. First choice is always Surefire. Inforce and Streamlight are a distant second for me. Sometimes they are the best fit for the need though.
Old 01-16-2022, 4:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If you want to burn a hole in your pocket with a general purpose light, Olight is fine for the budget minded. But Olight is not a legitimate maker of self defense lights.
I'd like to dispute that.

I think it depends on your use case.

I'll agree, Olight is not so rugged or capacious as some of the others. However, if your use case does not involve something like LEO duty use, Olight WMLs are fine.

I have 2 of the pl2 valkyries, one for CCW, one for my nightstand gun; if either were ever to get more than about 10 minutes of use, I would be greatly surprised. And I carry a Klarus light so I don't need a WML for general looking around.

I will say it's harder to find holsters that accommodate Olight.
Old 01-16-2022, 4:19 PM

I have had good luck with my green laser variant.

My stream light HL had the hinge fail on the battery cover rendering it useless randomly while it was inside of my pistol lock box. So people who say that brand is any better are kidding themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voice typing will butcher whatever I was trying to say
Old 01-16-2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I'd like to dispute that.

I think it depends on your use case.

I'll agree, Olight is not so rugged or capacious as some of the others. However, if your use case does not involve something like LEO duty use, Olight WMLs are fine.

I have 2 of the pl2 valkyries, one for CCW, one for my nightstand gun; if either were ever to get more than about 10 minutes of use, I would be greatly surprised. And I carry a Klarus light so I don't need a WML for general looking around.

I will say it's harder to find holsters that accommodate Olight.
It's okay to use a less rugged light known for issues in a life-saving capacity because... not police. Umm, okay. Can I ask, how many low light courses have you attended?
Old 01-16-2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
I have never used an Olight but I am surprised by the haters. Until now I've always heard and read good things.
Good things from people who don't train in low light, who don't teach people to survive gunfights, and people with affiliate links.
Old 01-16-2022, 8:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It's okay to use a less rugged light known for issues in a life-saving capacity because... not police. Umm, okay. Can I ask, how many low light courses have you attended?
Zero.

But the comparison is not police/not police.

I think it closer to 'do I need a Ford F150 or a 4-cylinder Tacoma?' Both are fine so long as one's needs do not exceed the capability of the choice.

A low-light class be useful, but my use case is not a several-hour class, but 5 minutes to break contact from a deadly confrontation.

Last edited by Librarian; 01-16-2022 at 8:08 PM..
Old 01-16-2022, 8:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's not really a misleading lumens number since that's within FL1 standards.
Old 01-16-2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:

I think it closer to 'do I need a Ford F150 or a 4-cylinder Tacoma?' Both are fine so long as one's needs do not exceed the capability of the choice.
Poor comparison.

Both a Ford and Toyota are of similar build quality. Nobody would say the same about Olight vs. Streamlight, Surefire or Modlite.

Quote:
Zero.
It's disappointing when the most prolific posters with the longest tenures on Calguns frequently have the least amount of formal firearms education, but feel compelled to chime in anyway.

Last edited by mitori; 01-16-2022 at 8:17 PM..
Old 01-16-2022, 8:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Poor comparison.

Both a Ford and Toyota are of similar build quality.

Nobody would say the same about Olight vs. Streamlight, Surefire or Modlite.
I disagree, but the comparison is not 'build quality' for the trucks but cost to operate and payload capacity - the functionality. 'Does it do what I need it to do?'

As to build quality of Olight vs the others, a link or two, please? Similarly, a link to a comparative analysis of those lights as performed in a low-light class?
Old 01-16-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I disagree, but the comparison is not 'build quality' for the trucks but cost to operate and payload capacity - the functionality. 'Does it do what I need it to do?'
The comparison is build quality; Olight is infamous for being less reliable as the other makers. You're so out of your element you don't even know why Olight is shunned by the serious end user market.

Quote:
As to build quality of Olight vs the others, a link or two, please? Similarly, a link to a comparative analysis of those lights as performed in a low-light class?
What you ask links for is common knowledge in the firearms training and education circles. Many of the top instructors aren't in the business of blogging or making Youtube videos. You do not operate in those circles or even know where they are. Which is why you don't see Olights being pushed or used by the experts in the field of weapons and tactics, but pushed by people with affiliate links and no training.

If you have time to make 40,000 posts, which if each one took just 1 minute, that's 4 solid months of 9 to 5, 5 days a week posting, then you could take some time to enroll in defensive firearms classes, low light tactics classes, cqb tactics classes. If you need help finding some in your area, DM me and I can assist you.

People look to you as an authority, and it's a shame that authority isn't backed up by recent, relevant and realistic training.

“It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.”

― Thomas Sowell
Old 01-17-2022, 4:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The comparison is build quality; Olight is infamous for being less reliable as the other makers. You're so out of your element you don't even know why Olight is shunned by the serious end user market.

What you ask links for is common knowledge in the firearms training and education circles. Many of the top instructors aren't in the business of blogging or making Youtube videos. You do not operate in those circles or even know where they are. Which is why you don't see Olights being pushed or used by the experts in the field of weapons and tactics, but pushed by people with affiliate links and no training.
Not common to me.

Here I asked you for data to support your post, and you decline. I'll stipulate that you have seen that information.

I'm actually interested. But, I'm not pushing a product (neither are you, AFAICT), I'm using the information I have to assess whether a product meets my needs.
Old 01-17-2022, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Not common to me.

Here I asked you for data to support your post, and you decline. I'll stipulate that you have seen that information.

I'm actually interested. But, I'm not pushing a product (neither are you, AFAICT), I'm using the information I have to assess whether a product meets my needs.
Here you go:

https://www.facebook.com/primaryandsecondary

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PSPrimarySecondary/

Olight is simply not "duty" grade. Paid-for "reviews" are everywhere and does not supplant actual use.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 01-17-2022, 4:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman View Post
Here you go:

https://www.facebook.com/primaryandsecondary

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PSPrimarySecondary/

Olight is simply not "duty" grade. Paid-for "reviews" are everywhere and does not supplant actual use.
Thank you.

Not being a member of the Book of Face, I can't see much of the first; and the second is a private group.
Old 01-17-2022, 4:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank you.

Not being a member of the Book of Face, I can't see much of the first; and the second is a private group.
I'd refer you to the main forum but it's pretty dead. That group is worth making a burner account for.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think Olights are great products for budget-conscious shooters. But what eventually turned me off to their stuff was when I bought some lights during one of their sales and the lights all showed up in a cardboard box that was decked out in Chinese customs stickers and other Chinese shipping labels - like my lights came to my house straight from China. Kinda off putting and I gradually started shifting all of my lights over to Streamlight.
Old 01-19-2022, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A review and shill links

Makes me question if we allow referral links?

Paid promotional links

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 01-21-2022, 7:16 AM
Veteran Member

I get that someone can be passionate about flashlights, but some of this is bordering on fanaticism. I have a mix of Streamlights and Olights. They all work. The weapon mounted lights sit in quick access safes. Theyre purchased for their task, and sitting in a safe and the annual live fire check aint very demanding.

Look at your application, buy to your budget and make your decision. If its not mission critical, you have room to make mistakes and correct them.

Everyone wants to drive a Ferrari. Some have to settle for a Civic. If you can afford to outfit 6 firearms with 3000 bucks worth of lights, good for you. Dont hate.

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 01-21-2022 at 7:23 AM..
Old 01-21-2022, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post
They all work.
the only person who would say that would be the person whose guns and lights are...

Quote:
sitting in a safe and the annual live fire check
the people who shoot annually, don't enroll in low light classes, don't participate in night time matches.

Quote:
If its not mission critical, you have room to make mistakes and correct them.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...-shot-82002999

PID isn't mission critical?

Quote:
Everyone wants to drive a Ferrari. Some have to settle for a Civic.
Another poor analogy. A Civic is a vehicle with an extensive, documented history of reliability. Civic is not within 20% in price to a Ferrari.

An Olight BADR R Pro is $170. That is $30 more than a Streamlight TLR1 H1 or $30 less than a TLR7.

Not everyone's opinion is equal. If you have not participated in low light shooting courses with experts in the subject, if you have not participated in night time action pistol shooting sports, then what experience with weapon mounted lights are you using to formulate your opinions?

Quote:
annual live fire check
Old 01-21-2022, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Mitori
Go take a Xanax or something. You're about to stroke out over a Chinese weapon light. I own at least 10 streamlight and 10 olights and have both pistol mounted and rifle mounted lights from each company. Is it my perception that streamlight is a better quality light, don't know. Is it my perception that streamlight is more dependable, yes but that's not due to a failure of one of the olights, just my perception. That being said, both brands have performed exactly as I would expect them to do with zero failures from either side. The only true difference that I can ascertain from real life use of both, is that the o light lumen claims are deceiving and a bit b*******. I don't care if my light can produce 2,000 lumens for 3 minutes and then drop down to a 500 lumen light. To me, that's not really a 2000 lumen light. Streamlight has much better run times, but both have done exactly what they were designed to do.
Old 01-21-2022, 9:35 AM

Yeah pretty well known issue that the stream lights have that battery door plastic hinge fail regularly. Mine failed without any trips to the range just from sitting in a gun safe for less than a year imagine the look on my face when I went in there to check it out and saw that it had completely broken

Old 01-21-2022, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Mitori
I own at least 10 streamlight and 10 olights and have both pistol mounted and rifle mounted lights from each company.
who taught your last low light tactics course, and where do you shoot your low light matches?
Old 01-21-2022, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy714 View Post
Mine failed without any trips to the range just from sitting in a gun safe for less than a year imagine the look on my face when I went in there to check it out and saw that it had completely broken
Thank you for your anecdote about your gun sitting in a safe for nearly a year without being shot. You and MarikinaMan should get together for your yearly range outings.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
who taught your last low light tactics course, and where do you shoot your low light matches?
You're completely retarded. What significance does it have who was an instructor in a low light weapons class. And just so you can rant some more, I don't shoot any matches. I'm telling you that I'm simply comparing two different brands of lights that I have on my firearms without experiencing a failure from either manufacturer with significant range time on both. And yes, when I'm at the range I turn the light on even though it's not necessary just to make sure that it's still shining when I'm done. You're beating a dead horse dude
Old 01-21-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
You're completely retarded. What significance does it have who was an instructor in a low light weapons class. And just so you can rant some more, I don't shoot any matches.
So no experience, no training, no feedback from guys who teach people how to survive gunfights in the dark. Gotcha.

Quote:
with significant range time on both.
So, standing stationary in a shooting stall.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your anecdote about your gun sitting in a safe for nearly a year without being shot. You and MarikinaMan should get together for your yearly range outings.

So you’ve got your black belt in mall ninja? Lol

Seriously though go join the military if you want to go get into active gun fights that’s not my jam

My idea of a good time is avoiding a gun fight

Old 01-21-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy714 View Post

My idea of a good time is avoiding a gun fight
Some of the training I've received includes conflict avoidance/de escalation techniques and identifying pre assault cues/indicators.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So no experience, no training, no feedback from guys who teach people how to survive gunfights in the dark. Gotcha.

You must be on the autistic spectrum. Let me make it easy for you, the light keeps shining regardless of what I've put it through. I don't need somebody who writes editorials for a gun magazine, or a seal team six member who has used it in multiple combat missions to tell me that my light turns on when I need it to turn on

So, standing stationary in a shooting stall.
Man I guess you got me! I totally forgot the jogging from one shooting station to the next shooting station in your competition exerts far more stress upon a weapons light than it does to stand there sedentary and subjected it to thousands of rounds of recoil.

I'm going to toss you a bone here. I know you're just dying to list out your qualifications. Can you please list all of your instructors and all of your low-light weapons matches that you've shot. Not that I have any doubt that you do them, I just want you to feel better about yourself being able to tell the community your vast experience. And I do make one correction to my previous post, you might want to bump it up to two Xanax instead of one
Old 01-21-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Man I guess you got me! I totally forgot the jogging from one shooting station to the next shooting station in your competition exerts far more stress upon a weapons light than it does to stand there sedentary and subjected it to thousands of rounds of recoil.
Things people frequently say during their first match or class:

"that's never done that before"

"that's the first time that's happened"

"it's always worked perfectly before"

Quote:
I'm going to toss you a bone here. I know you're just dying to list out your qualifications. Can you please list all of your instructors and all of your low-light weapons matches that you've shot. Not that I have any doubt that you do them, I just want you to feel better about yourself being able to tell the community your vast experience.
Gun ownership is a right. Gun training is a responsibility.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Hey bugsy

Have you ever used your light while jumping out of a plane into a hostile enemy drop zone?

Have you ever tried to use your light while bleeding out after taking around to the torso?

Have you ever tried to use your light while underwater in a tactical mission to get the bad guy?

Have you ever tried using your light while standing at the top of the Himalayas while yelling loudly about a York peppermint patty?

Then you're completely unqualified to a comment on any weapon light. If you have done each of these things, please submit information on each along with the name of each of your instructors. Sincerely, Mitori
Old 01-21-2022, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Mitori
Go take a Xanax or something. You're about to stroke out over a Chinese weapon light. I own at least 10 streamlight and 10 olights and have both pistol mounted and rifle mounted lights from each company. Is it my perception that streamlight is a better quality light, don't know. Is it my perception that streamlight is more dependable, yes but that's not due to a failure of one of the olights, just my perception. That being said, both brands have performed exactly as I would expect them to do with zero failures from either side. The only true difference that I can ascertain from real life use of both, is that the o light lumen claims are deceiving and a bit b*******. I don't care if my light can produce 2,000 lumens for 3 minutes and then drop down to a 500 lumen light. To me, that's not really a 2000 lumen light. Streamlight has much better run times, but both have done exactly what they were designed to do.
Same experience here. Someones got a flashlight obsession bordering on being a psychological problem. Lol.

Ive got Streamlights on my bedside, and quick access guns. Stuff inside the safe have a mix of streamlights and olights. Nice thing about lights is you can move them around when necessary. Its nice to save a little money on guns in non-critical roles. But hey, if you have a light mania, do what you need to. Acting like its the end if the world coz others make different decisions makes u look stupid.

Who uses lights these days anyway, lol. I kid. Just ribbing Mr. Nighttime Operator there hahaha Having a cow over other peoples lights

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 01-21-2022 at 11:53 AM..
Old 01-21-2022, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOdessa View Post
Additionally, about Olight lights from this thread - https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1768172
Re-read through it. Purely anecdotal, no data, no stats. Even paying influencers has no bearing on reliability. All it says is they have a marketing budget.

Just trash talking. Show me a line of failed lights. Otherwise, he’s just as bad as a shill. “None of my operator trainers ever recommended Olight so they cant be any good” Empty opinion. I have an Olight on a beater G19 with over 15,000 rounds on it. No issues. Will I go to war with it, thats not what its for.

Same kinda guy and sentiment who tried to talk me out of buying Ryobi even though I wasnt a pro user. 20 years later; stuffs still working.

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 01-21-2022 at 12:18 PM..
Old 01-21-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Hey bugsy

Have you ever used your light while jumping out of a plane into a hostile enemy drop zone?

Have you ever tried to use your light while bleeding out after taking around to the torso?

Have you ever tried to use your light while underwater in a tactical mission to get the bad guy?

Have you ever tried using your light while standing at the top of the Himalayas while yelling loudly about a York peppermint patty?

Then you're completely unqualified to a comment on any weapon light. If you have done each of these things, please submit information on each along with the name of each of your instructors. Sincerely, Mitori

I bet he’s got the merit badges on his sash to prove that he’s done all of the above and then some

Old 01-21-2022, 5:21 PM

This seems to be the new thing here. Shills doing reviews and getting click$.