Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-29-2022, 7:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Jun 28 2022 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of 6/29/2022
Movement.
Old 06-29-2022, 7:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
What, no ankle holster?

Who needs an ankle holster when you’ve got a pop out knife in the sole of your boots and a derringer in the heels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 06-29-2022, 8:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
Movement.
It’s been corrected:

“Jun 29 2022 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of 6/29/2022.”

Last edited by Paladin; 06-29-2022 at 8:26 AM..
Old 06-29-2022, 9:32 AM

On SCOTUSblog's liveblog, someone chose to have the handle of Charles Nichols and wrote:

Quote:
My crystal ball tells me that the handgun Open Carry petition out of Hawaii will be disposed of with a per curiam or GVR before the end of Friday.
Old 06-29-2022, 1:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

More orders were released

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...021zr_c07d.pdf
Old 06-29-2022, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Unless I'm missing something that document seems like it's not recent ("THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2021")
Old 06-29-2022, 2:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight4 View Post
Unless I'm missing something that document seems like it's not recent ("THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2021")
Maybe this? It's from today, but I didn't look too see if it was there this morning.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...922zr_n7io.pdf
Old 06-29-2022, 2:43 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
Maybe this? It's from today, but I didn't look too see if it was there this morning.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...922zr_n7io.pdf
I don't think Saada vs Golan is one of our issues.

This page - https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/ordersofthecourt/21 - should have the GVRs and other dispositions of some of our cases of interest. (The "21" in the URL is the 'term year', so the current as of today.)

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 06-29-2022 at 2:48 PM..
Old 06-29-2022, 2:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I don't think Saada vs Golan is one of our issues.

This page - https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/ordersofthecourt/21 - should have the GVRs and other dispositions of some of our cases of interest. (The "21" in the URL is the 'term year', so the current as of today.)
Understood, that was the only thing posted on that page today. I'll shut up now.
Old 06-29-2022, 3:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight4 View Post
My mistake: I probably forgot the default is to last term’s orders.
Old 06-30-2022, 6:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Young (and Duncan) is GVR’ed in just released Orders.

Quote:
The petitions for writs of certiorari are granted. The judgments are vacated, and the cases are remanded to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit for further consideration in light of New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn., Inc. v. Bruen, 597 U. S. ___ (2022).
https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...22zor_5he6.pdf

Last edited by Paladin; 06-30-2022 at 6:51 AM..
Old 06-30-2022, 7:05 AM

Is there any difference between the cases like Duncan which the orders specifically state it is GVRed and to be considered in the light of NYSRPA and Young which is on the list with no statement?
Old 06-30-2022, 7:07 AM

I believe they are similarly situated and combined for brevity.
Old 06-30-2022, 7:08 AM

Young and Duncan were grouped together. Note the language "The petitions for writs of certiorari are granted. The judgments are vacated" is plural.
Old 06-30-2022, 7:14 AM

No doubt to be sent back down to the district to waste as much time as possible.
Old 06-30-2022, 7:22 AM

I’ve never followed a case that’s been GVR’d. Is there any general timeline that anyone knows of. Does it go back to district court, then appellate etc etc to delay rights even longer? Or is it quicker?
Old 06-30-2022, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

I think Young might be moot because Young asked for open or concealed, and now he can get a concealed carry permit. So they don't necessarily need to decided anything.
Old 06-30-2022, 9:48 AM

Quote:
I think Young might be moot because Young asked for open or concealed, and now he can get a concealed carry permit. So they don't necessarily need to decided anything.
If Hawaii follows California's lead, they will implement a lot of barriers to getting a "shall issue" CCW permit. Soon someone will be denied a permit who is not prohibited from owning firearms and another case will start. Based on NYRSPA v Bruen it will be successful and they will then have the choice of true shall issue or open carry.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
If Young asked for BOTH, then he (and we) is entitled to have BOTH. Issuing a CCW doesn't delete the OC prayer and Bruen doesn't address only CC.

Somebody's gotta be the mole so it might as well be me. Seems to be working so far.

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

My Utubery
Old 06-30-2022, 11:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyWatcher View Post
I’ve never followed a case that’s been GVR’d. Is there any general timeline that anyone knows of. Does it go back to district court, then appellate etc etc to delay rights even longer? Or is it quicker?
IIRC, if the facts have changed it will go down to trial/district court. Here there may be additional facts needed to properly implement and apply the Heller text, history, tradition (THT) standard.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
If Young asked for BOTH, then he (and we) is entitled to have BOTH. Issuing a CCW doesn't delete the OC prayer and Bruen doesn't address only CC.
True, but Young may be satisfied with concealed and not want to pursue open carry if HI forthwith says here is your concealed permit before the 9th takes any action.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleonard View Post
If Hawaii follows California's lead, they will implement a lot of barriers to getting a "shall issue" CCW permit. Soon someone will be denied a permit who is not prohibited from owning firearms and another case will start. Based on NYRSPA v Bruen it will be successful and they will then have the choice of true shall issue or open carry.
If Young is mooted, Nichols picks up the OC torch….
Old 06-30-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
True, but Young may be satisfied with concealed and not want to pursue open carry if HI forthwith says here is your concealed permit before the 9th takes any action.
Nichols, as Paladin noted, picks up that particular torch. Also, what Young MAY do doesn't change the obligation which Hawaii has toward recognizing that the bearing of arms in public is our Right.

What that boils down to, and which so far California seems to be missing the point of, is that we have a Right to bear arms in public. Absent a shall-issue permitting scheme for OC, with no qualification on who can other than barring prohibited individuals who cannot buy/possess firearms anyway, there isn't any way that the State can prevent us from doing so.

About all Hawaii (and California) can do is create a carry permit system which allows the State to do an instant background check. Unless the check comes back as prohibited, they're going to have to issue. Since they have to issue a permit anyway under such a program, it might as well be for both OC and CC because it makes no sense to have 2 permits each doing the half of same thing. It might also be a bit of legislative overreach if the whole scheme is considered in toto and contrasted with the fact that we have a Right to bear arms in public and requiring a permit to do so infringes upon that Right beyond what was understood at the time of founding.

Our Right is a Constitutional Right. Requiring anyone to submit letters of reference, be subject to a character evaluation / psych eval, or anything of that nature means that our Right still isn't a Right. It's permission.

From what I see, Hawaii (and California) can do a revenue generating permit requirement but they're not going to be able to add qualifiers on who gets to and who doesn't, other than barring prohibited individuals from doing so. And that's it.

So that means the permit is going to have to be based on an instant background check and livescan fingerprints to verify you're who you say you are. After that, the State shall issue if those are clean. Pay the cashier on your way out.

**** edit here ****

After reviewing and thinking some more, I'm going to go so far as to say that even an OC permit would go too far because it wouldn't allow for visitors entering the state at a whim unless there's a way to get one instantly at the State border. And who is going to stop on the border to hopefully get an OC permit?

So, I'm thinking the only constitutionally allowable permit scheme is one which grants CC with the option of OC as the bearer chooses, but where the Statute also makes clear OC only doesn't require a permit of any type.

Somebody's gotta be the mole so it might as well be me. Seems to be working so far.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

My Utubery

Last edited by rplaw; 06-30-2022 at 3:17 PM..
Old 06-30-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
If Young is mooted, Nichols picks up the OC torch….
I don't believe so, the Court was quite clear that states can regulate the manner in which weapons are carried, but could not eliminate the public carrying of arms altogether. Hawaii, and California, can pick conceal-carry or open-carry, they cannot ban both. A denial of conceal carry would naturally infer a right to open carry, or the 9th risks incurring the Court's wrath. The only way Young is mooted is if Young is granted some form of the right to carry in public, whatever form that takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Thomas
In fact, however, the history reveals a consensus that
States could not ban public carry altogether. Respondents’ cited opinions agreed that concealed-carry prohibitions
were constitutional only if they did not similarly prohibit
open carry . . . All told, these antebellum state-court decisions evince a
consensus view that States could not altogether prohibit the
public carry of “arms” protected by the Second Amendment
or state analogues . . . The Second
Amendment guaranteed to “all Americans” the right to bear
commonly used arms in public subject to certain reasona-
ble, well-defined restrictions. Heller, 554 U. S., at 581.
Those restrictions, for example, limited the intent for which
one could carry arms, the manner by which one carried
arms, or the exceptional circumstances under which one
could not carry arms, such as before justices of the peace
and other government officials
Old 06-30-2022, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nichols, as Paladin noted, picks up that particular torch. Also, what Young MAY do doesn't change the obligation which Hawaii has toward recognizing that the bearing of arms in public is our Right.

What that boils down to, and which so far California seems to be missing the point of, is that we have a Right to bear arms in public. Absent a shall-issue permitting scheme for OC, with no qualification on who can other than barring prohibited individuals who cannot buy/possess firearms anyway, there isn't any way that the State can prevent us from doing so.

About all Hawaii (and California) can do is create a carry permit system which allows the State to do an instant background check. Unless the check comes back as prohibited, they're going to have to issue. Since they have to issue a permit anyway under such a program, it might as well be for both OC and CC because it makes no sense to have 2 permits each doing the half of same thing. It might also be a bit of legislative overreach if the whole scheme is considered in toto and contrasted with the fact that we have a Right to bear arms in public and requiring a permit to do so infringes upon that Right beyond what was understood at the time of founding.

Our Right is a Constitutional Right. Requiring anyone to submit letters of reference, be subject to a character evaluation / psych eval, or anything of that nature means that our Right still isn't a Right. It's permission.

From what I see, Hawaii (and California) can do a revenue generating permit requirement but they're not going to be able to add qualifiers on who gets to and who doesn't, other than barring prohibited individuals from doing so. And that's it.

So that means the permit is going to have to be based on an instant background check and livescan fingerprints to verify you're who you say you are. After that, the State shall issue if those are clean. Pay the cashier on your way out.
I am not in disagreement and have no idea what Young may decided to do. On one hand, Young may be willing to let Nichols carry the torch if HI capitulates before he has to do more. On the other hand, he may enjoy kicking HI now that he has them down and on the ground. I am sure many of us would enjoy that show.
Old 06-30-2022, 1:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuug View Post
I don't believe so, the Court was quite clear that states can regulate the manner in which weapons are carried, but could not eliminate the public carrying of arms altogether. Hawaii, and California, can pick conceal-carry or open-carry, they cannot ban both. A denial of conceal carry would naturally infer a right to open carry, or the 9th risks incurring the Court's wrath. The only way Young is mooted is if Young is granted some form of the right to carry in public, whatever form that takes.
Best not to rely upon inferences that the historical record could trump.

J. Thomas:
Quote:
In fact, however, the history reveals a consensus that States could not ban public carry altogether. Respondents’ cited opinions agreed that concealed-carry prohibitions were constitutional only if they did not similarly prohibit open carry . . . All told, these antebellum state-court decisions evince a consensus view that States could not altogether prohibit the public carry of “arms” protected by the Second Amendment or state analogues . . .
Were there “cited opinions” that OC could be banned if CC were available? Or is that an assumption?

Charles Nichols does NOT want to carry in any manner. He wants to OC period. If he loses at the 3-judge because of Bruen I fully expect him to request review or en banc appeal and to appeal to SCOTUS if necessary.

Last edited by Paladin; 06-30-2022 at 1:58 PM..
Old 06-30-2022, 1:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Agreed. Bruen has some very nice, persuasive dicta about Open Carry and it definitely seems the Court views it as superior, less susceptible to regulation. But i don't go as far as Charles does, saying that's a holding. Relevant and persuasive but not controlling, yet. Eventually demand for regulating unseen horrors by creating victim disarmament zones will run head on into Bruen, and the wonderful dicta will at that point become holding. States must eventually accept the fact that if they want to regulate CC, they will need to allow freer, relatively unregulated OC.

There is a Soviet tradition, but no American tradition, of allowing CC but banning OC. For good reason.

My analysis of Bruen:
https://lawnews.tv/nysrpa-v-bruen-ex...rs-open-carry/

My response to Bonta's GMC nonsense:
https://lawnews.tv/california-ag-dit...bonta-smoking/
CRPA Mag Must Retract Erroneous Bulletin Slamming Gun Trusts
Radio ads: http://Protect.FM
FREE training: http://guntrust.org
FREE design meeting: http://Protect.LIFE

Last edited by guntrust; 06-30-2022 at 1:37 PM..
Old 06-30-2022, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Best not to rely upon inferences that the historical record could trump.

J. Thomas:
Were there “cited opinions” that OC could be banned if CC were available? Or is that an assumption?

Charles Nichols does NOT want to carry in any manner. He wants to OC period. If he loses at the 3-judge because of Bruen I fully expect him to request review or en banc appeal and to appeal to SCOTUS if necessary.
I think "Respondents" is New York State. So Thomas is saying they gave cases which would allow them to ban concealed carry, which makes sense they would provide that.
Old 06-30-2022, 1:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I think "Respondents" is New York State. So Thomas is saying they gave cases which would allow them to ban concealed carry, which makes sense they would provide that.
Thats my point: These parties researched history to support their positions. Charles Nichols researched history to support his slightly different position. Hopefully he’s found strong evidence that OC (LOC in CA), is “THE Right” that “shall not be infringed.”

Can you imagine if voters were required to pass psychological exams before being allowed to vote??? California would flip to the deepest, darkest Red there is!

Last edited by Paladin; 06-30-2022 at 1:48 PM..
Old 06-30-2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
At present, Hawaii does not have two permits. It has one carry permit that allows the holder to carry openly or concealed. Hawaii has to know that its no issue policy is dead, and it may have to come up with a valid permitting system from whole cloth if it wants to try to restrict carrying of non-LEO, non-security personnel. Or it can just throw up its hands, admit defeat, and let everyone have a permit to carry openly or concealed as they please. (Snort!)
Old 06-30-2022, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
At present, Hawaii does not have two permits. It has one carry permit that allows the holder to carry openly or concealed. Hawaii has to know that its no issue policy is dead, and it may have to come up with a valid permitting system from whole cloth if it wants to try to restrict carrying of non-LEO, non-security personnel. Or it can just throw up its hands, admit defeat, and let everyone have a permit to carry openly or concealed as they please. (Snort!)
Or no permit at all. (hah, MY snort is bigger than yours. )

Frankly, I cannot see how the legislature in Hi or Ca gets around the fact that Thomas held that we have a Right to bear arms in public. He didn't say bear arms concealed, he said arms in public. Period. How that meshes with a permit system doesn't seem viable to me. It might to others, but to me, requiring a permit to exercise a Right, or else face criminal prosecution, means the Right is still being treated as a privilege.

I understand that there's language in the decision about the State being able to regulate concealed carry, but that's for concealed carry, not open carry. Since Hi only has 1 permit system for both modes of carry, it infringes on OC by requiring a permit to exercise the Right. Under Bruen, that's disallowed.

My Utubery

Last edited by rplaw; 06-30-2022 at 3:08 PM..
Old 06-30-2022, 3:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Time, place, manner - with regards to GFSZ
Quote:
The bill would also remove the exception for an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed that is in a locked container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle, thereby expanding the scope of an existing crime and imposing a state-mandated local program.
with regards to airports (etc)
Quote:
This bill would expand that prohibition to include any building, real property, or parking area under the control of an airport or passenger vessel terminal or a public transit facility, as specified. By expanding the scope of an existing crime, the bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
CA is going to make it impossible to transport arms.

https://openstates.org/ca/bills/20212022/SB918/

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 06-30-2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:

Frankly, I cannot see how the legislature in Hi or Ca gets around the fact that Thomas held that we have a Right to bear arms in public. He didn't say bear arms concealed, he said arms in public. Period. How that meshes with a permit system doesn't seem viable to me. It might to others, but to me, requiring a permit to exercise a Right, or else face criminal prosecution, means the Right is still being treated as a privilege.

I understand that there's language in the decision about the State being able to regulate concealed carry, but that's for concealed carry, not open carry. Since Hi only has 1 permit system for both modes of carry, it infringes on OC by requiring a permit to exercise the Right. Under Bruen, that's disallowed.
Give Bruen another read, Thomas said mode of carry can be regulated, but public carry cannot be completely barred. Meaning, states can ban open or concealed, but not both.
Old 06-30-2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Give Bruen another read, Thomas said mode of carry can be regulated, but public carry cannot be completely barred. Meaning, states can ban open or concealed, but not both.
I got the impression that states can ban concealed carry in favor of open carry, but not the opposite.

"Respondents' cited opinions agreed that concealed-carry prohibitions were constitutional only if they did not similarly prohibit
open carry...States could lawfully eliminate one kind of public
carry—concealed carry—so long as they left open the option
to carry openly."
Old 06-30-2022, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
Time, place, manner - with regards to GFSZ

with regards to airports (etc)

CA is going to make it impossible to transport arms.

https://openstates.org/ca/bills/20212022/SB918/
So it will technically still be legal to check in your baggage at the airline counter with a declared unloaded firearm in a locked container within it … but it will be illegal to get that firearm TO the check in counter.

Lunacy ensues as California’s liberal legislatures try to figure out new ways to make lawful “keep and bear” in public an arcane quilt of overlapping illegal areas of carrying, even with a CCW permit.
Old 06-30-2022, 6:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
A tiny number of states regulated manner of carrying openly (type, size of handgun), but that is not a tradition. There is no American tradition, during the relevant period, of regulating manner of open carry.
CRPA Mag Must Retract Erroneous Bulletin Slamming Gun Trusts
Radio ads: http://Protect.FM
FREE training: http://guntrust.org
FREE design meeting: http://Protect.LIFE
Old 06-30-2022, 6:21 PM

Quote:

Hawaii currently has two permit schemes.

HRS 134-9(a)

Concealed carry license “In an exceptional case…”

Open carry license “Where the urgency or the need has been sufficiently indicated…”
Old 06-30-2022, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcasa View Post
So it will technically still be legal to check in your baggage at the airline counter with a declared unloaded firearm in a locked container within it … but it will be illegal to get that firearm TO the check in counter.

Lunacy ensues as California’s liberal legislatures try to figure out new ways to make lawful “keep and bear” in public an arcane quilt of overlapping illegal areas of carrying, even with a CCW permit.
No, the removal of that exemption is only for school zones.

Otherwise, nobody could buy firearms at all (you couldn't get them out of the gun store)

curtisfong took that out of context.
Old 06-30-2022, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPK View Post
curtisfong took that out of context.
I did not. See for yourself. Don't take my word for it.

There are at least a dozen removals. Airports and GFSZs are two of the most egregious since they cover even unloaded/locked.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 06-30-2022, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
I did not. See for yourself. Don't take my word for it.

There are at least a dozen removals. Airports and GFSZs are two of the most egregious since they cover even unloaded/locked.
All this will accomplish is a faster unravelling of California's unconstitutional gun regulation scheme. They are in denial big time.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk