Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2021, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
I'm curious to see if the "paper" registration process will require photos.
wait a min.... do i have to register again if i already reg them all last time? wtf is this!
Old 09-28-2021, 6:29 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG308 View Post
wait a min.... do i have to register again if i already reg them all last time? wtf is this!
I don't think anyone has suggested that. This is for people that tried and were not able to last time.
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 09-28-2021, 7:48 AM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG308 View Post
No, if you registered successfully before, then you're done.

As UGImports says above, this registration "re-do" is just for people who tried to register last time, but failed to complete it because of DOJ's website issues.

Old 10-16-2021, 6:34 PM

What if a stripped lower was purchased after the registration deadline and you want to build it with evil features but use a BB with a fixed 10-round? That okay? Or would it need to be a featureless build only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb1911 View Post
Hi Greg
If you went through the DROS procedure when you purchased the lower or rifle then it will be automatically registered by the state. Your paperwork should be done. Regarding the rifle, if it is an AR or AK style, the manufacturer should have made sure that it meets the requirements to be a featureless rifle. Regarding the lower, you need to make sure that you build it in a featureless configuration to make sure that it remains a legal weapon.

Last edited by rjam; 10-16-2021 at 6:41 PM..
Old 10-18-2021, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjam View Post
What if a stripped lower was purchased after the registration deadline and you want to build it with evil features but use a BB with a fixed 10-round? That okay? Or would it need to be a featureless build only?
No - and I need to make that extra clear, because if anyone tries to do that, you will literally be telling the DOJ that you've committed a felony! You will have willingly supplied them with all the evidence they need to come to your house and confiscate your firearm or, worst case scenario, file felony charges.

Absolutely never, under any circumstances, should anyone attempt to register a firearm or receiver that was purchased after 12/31/2016.

If you wish to make the receiver into a functioning firearm to keep in CA, then featureless or fixed-magazine are your only two legal options for that receiver.

Last edited by CandG; 10-18-2021 at 7:53 AM..
Old 10-18-2021, 7:54 AM

I appreciate the response. I didn’t plan on registering it because it was purchased after the date set by CADOJ, but my question was whether I can either build featureless and have a detachable magazine, or build it with fixed 10-round magazine with features and still be legal? I just want clarification before I decide on how to legally build the lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandG View Post
No - and I need to make that extra clear, because if anyone tries to do that, you will literally be telling the DOJ that you've committed a felony! You will have willingly supplied them with all the evidence they need to come to your house and confiscate your firearm or, worst case scenario, file felony charges.

Absolutely never, under any circumstances, should anyone attempt to register a firearm or receiver that was purchased after 12/31/2016.

Featureless or fixed-magazine are your two legal options.

Last edited by rjam; 10-18-2021 at 9:08 AM..
Old 10-18-2021, 9:15 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the response. I didn’t plan on registering it because it was purchased after the date set by CADOJ, but my question was whether I can either build featureless and have a detachable magazine, or build it with fixed 10-round magazine with features and still be legal? I just want clarification before I decide on how to legally build the lower.
Yes, you can legally do either of those things, because neither of those configurations meet the CA definition of an assault weapon.

Old 10-18-2021, 9:17 AM

Thank you! I appreciate the quick response and your knowledge.
Old 10-18-2021, 9:35 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate the quick response and your knowledge.
FYI - to clarify something when your earlier post referred to a "BB" most construe that to NOT be a fixed magazine setup. Typically "BB" is used in conjunction with locking mechanisms that were legal through 2016, but no longer meet the current definition of fixed magazine.

That is likely why you got the 1st response you did. In your later post you specifically said "fixed magazine" which is what folks refer to the current generation of 2021 compliant magazine locks/"bullet buttons".

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 10-18-2021, 10:33 AM

Ok, understood. What could be used and meet the current generation of compliant magazine locks/bullet buttons?
Old 10-18-2021, 10:40 AM

Understood. So, what could be used to meet the current generation of compliant magazine locks/bullet button?
Old 10-18-2021, 2:42 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Understood. So, what could be used to meet the current generation of compliant magazine locks/bullet button?
Some examples:
https://patriotpin.com/
https://armaglock.com/
https://jtactical.com/products/ca-co...ar-alternative

There are many more out there.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 10-18-2021, 2:46 PM

Perfect! I’ll look into one of those options and thank you. On another note, I want to build an HK USC/UMP conversion rifle but based on what I’ve read, I can only build it featureless because using a Raddlock would no longer be legal even with a “fixed” 10-round magazine, correct?
Old 10-18-2021, 2:48 PM

Perfect! I’ll look into one of those options and thank you. On another note, I want to build an HK USC/UMP conversion rifle but based on what I’ve read, I can only build it featureless because using a Raddlock would no longer be legal even with a “fixed” 10-round magazine, correct?
Old 10-18-2021, 3:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I don't know if Raddlock makes a 2021 compliant maglock. You should contact them and ask.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 10-18-2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
I don't know if Raddlock makes a 2021 compliant maglock. You should contact them and ask.
Usually when people refer to Raddlock, they're talking about the Raddlock bullet button, which is not a CA compliance device anymore (as of 2017). But like you said, maybe they're making something new now, I have no idea. I've admittedly not really kept myself up to date on this stuff.

Old 11-20-2021, 6:50 PM

What if I were to buy and build an AR from an 80% lower. Can I register this since there’s no record of the purchase date?
Old 11-21-2021, 3:30 AM

Deleted

Last edited by DrewTheBrave; 11-21-2021 at 8:55 AM..
Old 11-21-2021, 8:12 AM

Default Sure

Sure you can - but Drew is correct - don't announce it here. Don't think the BOF doesn't troll these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcydeabc View Post
What if I were to buy and build an AR from an 80% lower. Can I register this since there’s no record of the purchase date?
Old 11-22-2021, 1:15 PM

If I don't register my "bullet button" gun and for some reason the government searches my house one day. Am I correct in assuming that they can use that to take away my 2A rights?
Old 11-22-2021, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshot View Post
If I don't register my "bullet button" gun and for some reason the government searches my house one day. Am I correct in assuming that they can use that to take away my 2A rights?
Getting caught possessing something that it's a felony to possess can cause criminal charges; and yes, if convicted, can result in loss of Constitutional rights, fines, a criminal record, and/or imprisonment - along with all the other social consequences that come with being a convicted felon. It's generally recommended to avoid that situation if you can. Registering is one option, but there are several other options as well.

Old 11-22-2021, 3:44 PM

Thanks, I assume the other options is to make it compliant somehow by going featureless, but no one sells a parts kit for this gun so I pretty much would need to manufacture my own grip fin. Sigh. California.
Old 11-22-2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I assume the other options is to make it compliant somehow by going featureless, but no one sells a parts kit for this gun so I pretty much would need to manufacture my own grip fin. Sigh. California.
Not knowing what kind of gun it is, other potential options are to make it a fixed magazine, make it non-semi-auto, disassemble it so it doesn't meet the definition of an AW anymore, or keep it out of state.

Old 01-12-2022, 1:21 PM

FYI, registration do-over starts tomorrow, at 9:00 a.m. PST.

It ends on April 12, 2022, at 9:00 a.m. PDT.

I don't really have any further details besides what's already been discussed in this thread previously... admittedly I haven't really put any effort into researching it.

Old 01-12-2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
If you need a custom fin to make your rifle compliant, check out this website:
https://fingrips.com/

I have no association with this the company or its owner, but it is operated by Calgunner, and I have purchased a few fins over the years. They work well and are of good quality. If you have a unique grip, you can send it in to have a custom fin made. It's an affordable & easy solution if you can't (or don't want to) register your firearms.

Whatever route you decide to go, good luck.
Old 01-12-2022, 7:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I VolReg two AR pistols that I built in 2012 and engraved my own serial numbers. I didn’t want to RAW it last time because the whole serial number issue confused me. Can I RAW it this time around? I was able to RAW two pistols last time because those pistols had no serials so I just engraved the DOJ issued serials. All four of these pistols were built in 2012.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 01-12-2022, 10:18 PM

Is a non-bullet button (ie, standard magazine release) lower receiver legally purchased before 2017 that the owner attempted to register but could not due to the CADOJ's website problems -- is that firearm also eligible to be registered during this new 3-month window starting 1/13/2022?

Or is it only pre-2017 ARs with actual bullet buttons installed?

I keep reading references to the new 2022 "BBAW" registration, but unless I missed it nothing in the DOJ's website states that the AW must have a bullet button to qualify. Only that it must have been legally owned prior to 2017, allows for a detachable magazine, and had been attempted (but failed, due to DOJ's technical web problems) to be registered prior to the 7/1/2018 deadline.

So, what prevents non BB rifles (or lower receivers alone) legally purchased prior to 2017 and meeting the other attempted-registration requirements from also now being registered in compliance with the law?

Last edited by papa zulu; 01-12-2022 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: brevity
Old 01-13-2022, 7:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa zulu View Post
Is a non-bullet button (ie, standard magazine release) lower receiver legally purchased before 2017 that the owner attempted to register but could not due to the CADOJ's website problems -- is that firearm also eligible to be registered during this new 3-month window starting 1/13/2022?

Or is it only pre-2017 ARs with actual bullet buttons installed?

I keep reading references to the new 2022 "BBAW" registration, but unless I missed it nothing in the DOJ's website states that the AW must have a bullet button to qualify. Only that it must have been legally owned prior to 2017, allows for a detachable magazine, and had been attempted (but failed, due to DOJ's technical web problems) to be registered prior to the 7/1/2018 deadline.

So, what prevents non BB rifles (or lower receivers alone) legally purchased prior to 2017 and meeting the other attempted-registration requirements from also now being registered in compliance with the law?
Non-BB rifles would have had to be registered in one of the preceding registration periods.

Lower receivers alone wouldn't be semi-automatic & center-fire, so they were never registerable.
Old 01-13-2022, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
... Can I RAW it this time around? I was able to RAW two pistols last time because those pistols had no serials so I just engraved the DOJ issued serials. All four of these pistols were built in 2012.
I think you mean that you tried to register it last time but couldn't because of their technical problems, right? Assuming that's what you meant, then yes you should be able to register them this time around as long as the weapons themselves are in a legal configuration.

Last edited by CandG; 01-13-2022 at 7:56 AM..
Old 01-14-2022, 8:25 AM

Thanks. That is a helpful reminder/clarifier of what does/does not qualify. Hard to keep it all straight once you stop thinking about it for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Non-BB rifles would have had to be registered in one of the preceding registration periods.

Lower receivers alone wouldn't be semi-automatic & center-fire, so they were never registerable.
Old 04-08-2022, 6:15 AM

Website is still crap. Spent 2 hrs & finally got 2 done in 2 separate transactions. 1 to go...
Old 04-08-2022, 6:16 AM

Website is still crap. Spent 2 hrs & finally got 2 done in 2 separate transactions. 1 to go...
Old 04-08-2022, 6:17 AM

Website is still crapola.. 2 hrs to get 2 done on separate transactions. 1 to go
Old 04-08-2022, 6:18 AM

Website is still crapola.. 2 hrs to get 2 done on separate transactions. 1 to go
Old 04-08-2022, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Ring View Post
Good luck. You could also look into the mail-in option, perhaps.

Admittedly I haven't been following this very closely, I honestly thought there was almost zero public interest in this second round of registrations so I didn't really put any effort into researching it. If you have any helpful tips for anyone that you learned in this process, feel free to post them here!

Old 06-24-2022, 7:42 AM

Dear fellow Calgunners,

Do we know DOJ's turnaround time for this reopened registration?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
Old 08-30-2022, 12:22 AM

I am super confused. I applied with CFARS in 2018. Both still show as pending, nothing in the mail, no emails.

Where am I supposed to re register?