Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 09-30-2021, 6:55 PM
Banned

Default How many of you have ponied up for a PCP compressor?

Tell me your expereiences

Yeah yeah, I know about the GTA forum but some of those guys are over the top......kinda like here on CG LOL
Old 09-30-2021, 8:49 PM

Head over to air gun nation there’s lots to learn….yong heng is probably the cheapest one out there to fill rifles and bottles
Old 10-01-2021, 4:41 AM

Bought a Young-Heng, used it once-seemed OK.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=20c9730268&view=fimg&th=15ad3c387b7ea1aa& attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_15ad3c34b07b03d5&a ttbid=ANGjdJ_GOwaOCfqt3OHKm7zY_mRBiORflleilym4tijR cuiC5hGws2oJLyDhF9PhQVXWMa7_jCP_uMAWxJrz5ef-HJcaRLRDzRANo5ScBq6Y0tJJfz6He0c6K0GPTDg&sz=w632-h880&ats=1489612610462&rm=15ad3c387b7ea1aa&zw&atsh =1
Old 10-01-2021, 8:46 AM

Bought a Freedom 10 a couple years before the market got swamped with Chinese compressors. The Freedom 10 is decent, not exceptional but it does what I need it to do in a reasonable time. I'm OK with that. More to the point is that having my own compressor for my air tank is really convenient. Makes the investment worthwhile to me.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

not yet
Old 10-01-2021, 2:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Not yet. The less expensive compressors seem to get poor reviews or take a lot of extra work and parts to make them usable for PCP's.

The expensive compressors are pricey as hell. It seems they're price gouging because they have no real competition.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-02-2021, 9:20 PM

Yong Heng have a good reputation, and can be found at a good price: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yong-Heng...110V/968245645 . There are several variants, with those that turn off at a set pressure costing more. All YH compressors need to be run with cooling water. They are somewhat noisy.

This one is compact and portable. It can be run off a car battery and comes with a 12 VDC supply: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0819ZH85H/

If filling bottles to over 4000 PSI I would go YH. If directly filling a PCP to no more than 4000 PSI, the GX.

The YH needs its oil changed periodically. The GX is grease lubed.

I have both.
Old 10-03-2021, 8:05 AM
Banned

good input people
Old 10-03-2021, 9:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

if the "local" air gun shop didn't offer free fills, i would probably get one.
Old 10-04-2021, 3:39 PM

Yong Heng here too. It started leaking oil after a while, so have to add oil before using it.
Other than that it works great and is way better than a hand pump!!!
Old 10-09-2021, 8:17 PM

Bit the bullet, bought an Alkin W31 upright. About the cost of two high-end pcp rifles.
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
They'll get my gas mower when they pry it from Jose's cold dead hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessdude View Post
If those darn coyotes want cat they can go to the chinese take out like everyone else.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

Yong Heng, use it to fills my bottles & it works well. You'll need a decent dessicant filter to go with it.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:45 AM
Banned

well lucky me, my buddy that got me into PCP's just bought a Blitz, and he also bought a Umarex compressor to go with it. And then another friend of mine caught the bug, so he just bought a Gauntet and also purchased a compressor. LOL. I'm covered.

Umarex comp filled my 22 Marauder from 2kpsi to 3k in 3.03 seconds
Old 10-10-2021, 4:19 PM
Banned

So i mag dumped my Marauder down to about 1.2k psi, and used the Umarex compressor to refill. Took 4.22 seconds to fill back to 3k psi.
Old 10-13-2021, 6:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I bought a Coltri MCH-6 dive compressor. Fills a 100 cu ft tank in no time with breathing quality air. I got a steal of a deal that included both an electric motor and a gas engine.

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/
Old 10-13-2021, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
I bought a Coltri MCH-6 dive compressor. Fills a 100 cu ft tank in no time with breathing quality air. I got a steal of a deal that included both an electric motor and a gas engine.
I have one of these also. I bought mine through an ad on Craigslist and had to partially rebuild it, but the end result was worth it.

Once you have your own compressor and you don’t have to drive across town to get your tanks refilled you’ll find that shooting PCP airguns will have become easier by a factor of about a thousand.

Get a cheap one or get an expensive one, but get a compressor. You won’t regret it.
Old 10-14-2021, 6:54 PM
Banned

i think i'm gonna by the Yong Heng compressor that requires water for cooling. seem like a lot of people are using it will decent success. I don't need it to be adaptable for 12v so i'm good with 110v home usage.
Old 10-18-2021, 4:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I had looked at the Yong Hengs and they are sold by everyone and their mother, and there are four versions. Fear of buying a piece of junk had me scared of it. I was going to get it from Walmart and get the Walmart warranty if it applies".

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 10-19-2021, 5:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
I had looked at the Yong Hengs and they are sold by everyone and their mother, and there are four versions. Fear of buying a piece of junk had me scared of it. I was going to get it from Walmart and get the Walmart warranty if it applies".
this is what the hardcore air gunners suggest to do. Amazon also
Old 11-02-2021, 8:24 AM

I just ordered one of these (arrives tomorrow).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BQBWDNM...roduct_details

And one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BQJPG2Y...roduct_details

got them both for 75% off in exchange for a review via the Amazon Vine program, so I couldn't resist. I'll report back what I think about them.

I don't have a bottle (yet) as I only have one PCP gun (a Hatsan Flashpup in .22) but I can see how this can become an obsession.

I think I took more rabbits last year with this airgun than I did with my shotgun and .22 rimfire combined, it is so fun and easy to shoot (not to mention cheaper!)
Old 11-03-2021, 5:47 AM
Banned

^^^^ it’s addicting, especially once you get access to an air source that doesn’t require a workout. I almost never use my rim fires rifles for small animals.

I’m even shopping for a .30 cal now
Old 11-08-2021, 4:08 AM

HAHA! the image shows the compressor hooked up to the bolt of a 10/22????

I don't think you would want to shoot with a compressor hooked up anyway...

Old 11-08-2021, 4:35 PM

Default How many of you have ponied up for a PCP compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff213 View Post
HAHA! the image shows the compressor hooked up to the bolt of a 10/22????

I don't think you would want to shoot with a compressor hooked up anyway...

Yea I have seen some hilariously bad photoshop jobs on Chinese products on Amazon.

Btw, in preliminary testing both units will take my Hatsan Flashpup from 100 bar to 200 bar in 3:15 (165 cc volume). Units are noisy but less so than my buddy’s yong heng and doesn’t require a bucket of ice water and circulator. Much easier to set up and use.

Last edited by sbsyncro; 11-08-2021 at 4:46 PM..
Old 11-08-2021, 4:38 PM
Veteran Member

I love PCP.
Old 11-09-2021, 5:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Old 11-09-2021, 6:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
You're going to keep torturing us with those photos of your Leshiy 2 aren't you.

I'm still wrestling with the idea of buying one. But man they're pricey.

Why did you choose to get one?

And what compressor are you using?

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 11-10-2021, 12:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
You're going to keep torturing us with those photos of your Leshiy 2 aren't you.

lol!

i had several carts full of stuff over the years and chickened out.
lately most of the guns that i wanted were pre-order and so never checked out.
then some evil person here mentioned the L2 and i started researching.
unfortunately for my wallet, after many had waited months for theirs, i went to edgunwest.com and it was in stock.

i am using a tank and get free refills in huntington beach.
Old 11-10-2021, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post

I'll add a data point to your survey - it's more or less the same as LBC's. I get my Airtanksforsale.com Tigershark tank filled either in Huntington Beach, or my buddy who's offered up his compressor whenever I need it (which isn't all that often).

They are pricey, for sure, but they're about the same price as an higher end semiauto .308 (like a LaRue). This may be little bit of a defeatist attitude, but I just got sick and tired of California's BS laws as to what kind of grip i can attach, what kind of locked magazine solution is legal, what kind of accessories I can install, etc. etc. With an airgun, I know that no matter how I accessorize it, I'm not going to run into legal issues. Second, between this year and last year, the ammo shortage has put a major crimp in my shooting. Pellets are still relatively plentiful, and they're cheap. The air is more or less free after you purchase the tank, and there's little cost beyond ammo. I can now get some trigger time with a gun that is ergonomically pretty close to the powder burners I haven't shot in more than two years.

I don't know if you hunt, and though I've been mostly unsuccessful, I also welcome the opportunity to extend my season beyond just deer. In the spring I'll be attempting to harvest rabbits and other varmints that can easily be taken down with a PCP air rifle.

The above is generally applicable to all PCPs and air guns to a certain extent, but if you're asking why the L2 in particular, I liked the semiauto action. Sure, there are other semiauto PCPs too, but I like the compact profile / folding stock, and the ability to change calibers/barrel lengths pretty easily. Guess what I'm trying to say is that I like its modularity, and I think it's worth the premium over other PCPs.

For my use cases, it made sense - YMMV, but it's a quality gun.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.
Old 11-10-2021, 5:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsDX View Post
I'll add a data point to your survey - it's more or less the same as LBC's. I get my Airtanksforsale.com Tigershark tank filled either in Huntington Beach, or my buddy who's offered up his compressor whenever I need it (which isn't all that often).

They are pricey, for sure, but they're about the same price as an higher end semiauto .308 (like a LaRue). This may be little bit of a defeatist attitude, but I just got sick and tired of California's BS laws as to what kind of grip i can attach, what kind of locked magazine solution is legal, what kind of accessories I can install, etc. etc. With an airgun, I know that no matter how I accessorize it, I'm not going to run into legal issues. Second, between this year and last year, the ammo shortage has put a major crimp in my shooting. Pellets are still relatively plentiful, and they're cheap. The air is more or less free after you purchase the tank, and there's little cost beyond ammo. I can now get some trigger time with a gun that is ergonomically pretty close to the powder burners I haven't shot in more than two years.

I don't know if you hunt, and though I've been mostly unsuccessful, I also welcome the opportunity to extend my season beyond just deer. In the spring I'll be attempting to harvest rabbits and other varmints that can easily be taken down with a PCP air rifle.

The above is generally applicable to all PCPs and air guns to a certain extent, but if you're asking why the L2 in particular, I liked the semiauto action. Sure, there are other semiauto PCPs too, but I like the compact profile / folding stock, and the ability to change calibers/barrel lengths pretty easily. Guess what I'm trying to say is that I like its modularity, and I think it's worth the premium over other PCPs.

For my use cases, it made sense - YMMV, but it's a quality gun.
+1 and i like the fact that the leshiy is simple and solid. there seems to be so many more issues other pricey guns with knobs and dials everywhere.
the only drawback is the relatively loud auto indexing action (uses air) and so it will never be the quietest rifle out there.
Old 11-11-2021, 4:46 AM
Banned

PCP rifles are like meth. Once you start, you can’t stop
Old 11-11-2021, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
+1 and i like the fact that the leshiy is simple and solid. there seems to be so many more issues other pricey guns with knobs and dials everywhere.
the only drawback is the relatively loud auto indexing action (uses air) and so it will never be the quietest rifle out there.
I'll also add that the auto-indexing of the cylinder is pretty neat despite the loud report, but my experience with it has been that it's a bit finnicky. I can't seem to get it to turn reliably - I know there are several work-arounds (like pulling on the barrel as you tighten down the receiver/barrel clamp), or just shooting it smooth, but it's not a "life or death" weapon so I don't really care all that much to fix it.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.
Old 12-01-2021, 9:21 AM

Air is the future; compressors open big doors and there is no way around it. Powder guns are pretty much done when it comes to leaps and bounds innovation. Sure, they mess with this or that case to come put with yet another slight variation of something already being made and the guns change slightly and often for the better, but the development is aging and very incremental. Powder guns are and have been in the refinement stage for quite a while. Its gotten to the place where the color of the finish and very small things are a big deal.

Contrast that to air where the big steps in fantastic new technologies, performance are just really starting, and the difference is astounding. While AIR has come quite a way in the last few decades and more so within the past 5 years that is not even the tip of the iceberg.

The performance and capabilities you see today will pale in comparison to what will be available in just a few short years. No matter what you have right now it's still in the infancy of higher performance. It is nothing less than a breakout opportunity.

There comes with all that a serious hazard and that is as AIR becomes competitive with powder (and it will at even longer distances) those who want to control powder guns will focus on AIR and given the foundation that already exists (at least in California) it likely happens with the stoke of a pen. Change firearms to arms. It just takes a catalyst, something that can become the focus and we all know that sooner or later some fool provides it.

Like many here, I find AIR to be as rewarding and given the restrictive environment for powder anything, more fun, less expensive (after what can be very expensive outfitting) and the overall enjoyment factor is off the scale.

You know the direction when the person at the bench next to you is shooting a PCP and the distance isn't 25 yards anymore.

For the near future the most exciting innovations will take place in AIR and not powder. Enjoy it while you can.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.
Old 12-07-2021, 4:49 AM
Banned

^^^ You are correct. Buddy of mine bought a .30 Hatsan Blitz. Semi/full pew pew pew, and what fun that is in .30cal. Get one now before the laws change
Old 12-07-2021, 10:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsDX View Post
They are pricey, for sure, but they're about the same price as an higher end semiauto .308 (like a LaRue).
How does the effective range compare to that LaRue in .308?
Old 01-28-2022, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
How does the effective range compare to that LaRue in .308?
Within their effective range, very good.

I've found that if you make the targets smaller, the action more challenging the biggest difference is noise and unless you're hitting something like soda cans the visuals. The shooting experience? Well, throw out expectation and look at things as they are and do the difference really matter that much?

Lately, I've been looking around and seeing there is a lot more opportunity in air powered than in powder guns. I'll explain:

When it comes to precision of manufacture air guns these days rival and even compete head to head with any cartridge gun, bar none. There are insanely high quality ultra precision air guns that within their effective range will drill 20 round one hole groups.

Then it's the bang. If this were most other states we'd all be buying suppressors that means firing cartridge guns is about as quiet as most PCP guns. So one the one hand we decry not having suppressors but on the other than use the loud sound in the favorable comparison to cartridge guns.

More and more, places to shoot are getting limited, closed and as time goes on, far more restrictive and ever. Right now with air guns the opportunities are far better and even finding a place on privately owned property is much easier. There are a lot of large tract private owners who will let you shoot air guns on their property but hesitate and won't consider letting you shoot even a 22.

San Jose is a precursor if there ever was one. We all see it as an infringement on gun ownership rights yet we seem to have plenty of them already.

I've already decided to cull the herd and start directing resources, time and enjoyment to what I started out with so long ago, air guns. To me at least, the challenge to hit something 1/8" in diameter at 100 or even 150 yards is as challenging as hitting something at 1000 yards. When you're looking through the scope it's easy to forget how far something actually is and instead see the challenge. You still read the wind, still cal the ballistics, still select the best load (air pressure, barrel, ammo type and all that. The big difference? No need to drive hours to a place to do it. In fact no need to drive anywhere, 100+ yards is as close as stepping out of the back door.

With enough cartridge stuff to meet my needs the duplications or similar this that can also do that starts to make less and less sense everyday.

Hunt hogs? Once its a travel to do it, distance is a secondary consideration, it's not going to be a leave in the morning return home later affair anyway. Travel outside the state and using an airgun to take game is possible and in many respects even easier considering all the restrictions.

Do I relish being able to have the lastest greatest cartridge guns? Sure but this is California so that isn't going to happen anyway. Can I have, at least right now, the greatest latest air gun that can be anything from a simple old springer to a obscenely pricely PCP that is even fully auto if I want? Absolutely. If I want to dump a mag can I do that with a cartridge gun? Maybe - all 10 rounds. Most ranges don't allow it anyway. With the PCP and even high end gassers 20-30 and more - no problem.

Hitting a carbonated jug of water yields plenty of visuals. Instead of a large soda jug at say 300 yards, its a tiny can at 150. The fun is the same, the cost is much lower, the sound of the firing is what I'd rather have anyway and I can do it almost any time without special this or that or driving hours.

I reload and enjoy it. I also happen to enjoy cleaning guns after a range session. I lose none of that. If I want I can cast my own pellets or turn them on a lathe and there isn't some huge investment to do that.

On the horizon are pseudo cartridges that hold the pellet but contain no powder. They are just a holder for the pellet and still use the typical PCP firing function. Now I'll be able to do almost what I do with powder cartridges, size the brass down to the 10/1000th of an inch, experiment with seating depth, neck tension, the works.

I look at it as a transition the other way around, from cartridge guns to air guns and with the cartridge guns taking the back seat. They will take care of the aspects of gun ownership air guns can't but more and more that will be all.

Does that mean abandoning a stance on the 2nd/A? Hardly because sooner or later they will get around to including air guns in the same mix.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.
Old 01-29-2022, 3:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post

Does that mean abandoning a stance on the 2nd/A? Hardly because sooner or later they will get around to including air guns in the same mix.
You are a weird dude.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
You are a weird dude.
That was your response to:

"Does that mean abandoning a stance on the 2nd/A? Hardly because sooner or later they will get around to including air guns in the same mix."

You don't think that eventually the laws specifying restrictions on firearms won't be expanded to include air powered arms? IMO, it's just a matter of time. The only reason we don't see the laws and reg changed to include air guns is because we haven't yet seen some high profile event where someone shot and killed someone with a high powered air gun.

I'd say that is weird and rather naive to boot.

When semi and full auto larger caliber airguns become more accessible and more capable as in being able to order one on-line and you have a magazine fed type very capable in the 100-200 yard range watch how fast the laws get created or modified.

Gun laws attack the 2nd A. Maybe you would consider what the words "ARMS" means and note that nowhere in the 2nd/A does it specify the manner in which projectiles are fired and it doesn't even speak types of ARMS, is says "ARMS"

Already, cities like SF have severe restrictions on the mundane pellet and BB guns. Many cities have adopted regulation on such things down to the level of air soft as in where you can use them.

Lots of people thought not being able to walk into a store and buy ammo without getting background check, magazine cap restrictions at an arbitrary 10 and why not 13, and just having a pistol grip on a centerfire semi auto made it illegal without a fixed mag was weird too. Hows that working out?

Last edited by SharedShots; 01-30-2022 at 10:56 AM..
Old 01-30-2022, 8:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That was your response to
Yep. I wanted to know how you figure the 100 yard range of the best PCP compares to 600-800 yards of effective range of real guns in 7.62.

It’s funny when people put words in your mouth… but weird dudes do that.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:32 PM

I've had a Shoe Box for years, noisy but works just fine...KlickityKlack...
Old 01-31-2022, 7:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I asked about comparing the actual effective ranges, not answering a question I didn't ask.

This was because someone said a PCP cost the same as a LaRue .308.

The LaRue .308 is a whole different animal and the bargain of the two IMHO. That was it. I wasn't asking for a novel written about your personal beefs and triggers. I'm sure everyone here loves the 2A, and not everyone has given up.

You can keep trying to compare air guns to gun powder metallic cartridge guns, but there won't be a PCP that shoots a 175 grain projectile 800 yards and has 2,700 ft/lbs AFAIK. Is there a PCP like that?