Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Default ATF Keeps Copy Of Form 4473?

The online software FFLs use for a 4473 allows the entire bound book to be handed to ATF on a thumb drive.

How do we know that is erased by ATF after review? By LAW they can't maintain copies of bound books.
They also can't demand records > 20 years.

Federal gun registration behind our backs?
Old 04-15-2021, 11:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It’s my understanding that they law is ignored and records and registry are kept.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 04-15-2021, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

I suppose it depends on the ethics of certain agents.

I was visited by a federal AFT agent once. I was overly excited to have moved out of CA for a while, and went nuts at the gun store. So they visited me to make sure my purchases were not crossing over state lines as a straw purchase to less friendly states.

Anyway, he wanted to see I still possessed all the recent purchases. He had a hand written list of said purchases, and I thought it was kind of sad he couldn't easily do a print out. The list wasn't short.

So, did he ethically not have data stored on a server where he could just print it off or was this for show for my sake he had to hand jam all the data of my recent purchases.

Regardless............ it showed me one thing..........

They are watching.............

There are flags I set off............

I will be more careful in the future...........

I did nothing illegal. I had no intention of doing anything illegal, but I still had federal agents show up to my door.

They are watching.........

The rules ethical agents follow are being broken by those without those same ethics. So yes the ATF does have the data. Someone in some office there does have the data and is breaking the rules just waiting for the rules to change.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:13 PM

Bound books kept always. 4473's can be destroyed after 20 years.
Old 04-15-2021, 1:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Owner of the lgs, a friend since grade school, told me every month he pulled out the 20 year old 4473's and had a little bonfire.
Old 04-16-2021, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post

I was visited by a federal AFT agent once. I was overly excited to have moved out of CA for a while, and went nuts at the gun store. So they visited me to make sure my purchases were not crossing over state lines as a straw purchase to less friendly states.

Anyway, he wanted to see I still possessed all the recent purchases. He had a hand written list of said purchases, and I thought it was kind of sad he couldn't easily do a print out. The list wasn't short.

So, did he ethically not have data stored on a server where he could just print it off or was this for show for my sake he had to hand jam all the data of my recent purchases.

I did nothing illegal. I had no intention of doing anything illegal, but I still had federal agents show up to my door.

The rules ethical agents follow are being broken by those without those same ethics. So yes the ATF does have the data. Someone in some office there does have the data and is breaking the rules just waiting for the rules to change.

We’re you purchasing multiple firearms at the same time on the same 4473? Did you do that more than a few times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2021, 9:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
The online software FFLs use for a 4473 allows the entire bound book to be handed to ATF on a thumb drive.

How do we know that is erased by ATF after review? By LAW they can't maintain copies of bound books.
They also can't demand records > 20 years.

Federal gun registration behind our backs?
Absolutely not.

Arizona has no law requiring firearms dealers to initiate background checks prior to transferring a firearm. ... As a result, concealed weapon permit holders in Arizona are exempt from the federal background check requirement when purchasing a handgun.

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state...es-in-arizona/

Once again in liberal states who knows and probably.

Last edited by Endless; 04-16-2021 at 9:43 PM..
Old 04-17-2021, 6:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Unless you are an FFL holder, the proper response is "get off my property unless you have a warrant". Then contact your lawyer.

If you have an 03 FFL, the proper response is "call me during working hours and make an appointment to view my bound book".
Old 04-17-2021, 6:59 AM

Quote:

Your only response should have been "Do you have a warrant or proof of illegal activity? No? Then get bent. Have a nice day."
Old 04-17-2021, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
Absolutely not.

Arizona has no law requiring firearms dealers to initiate background checks prior to transferring a firearm. ... As a result, concealed weapon permit holders in Arizona are exempt from the federal background check requirement when purchasing a handgun.

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state...es-in-arizona/

Once again in liberal states who knows and probably.
In 2016 the ATF and Social security office requested State Police to turn over all the information on concealed carry holders ( to be sure no one who received mental treatment through medicare / medicaid had a gun ) . As far as I know Mo. is the only State that not only stopped it but took the information out of state police hands and gave it to the sheriff's office . If you are a ccw permit holder they already know all about you .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk