Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Commercial Sales > New Product Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Product Announcements Vendors, share information about your newest products. Only CGN Vendors can start threads in this forum.

Old 11-24-2017, 2:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Sparrow Dynamics Compliant Rifle Grip - Official Discussion

Hello Calguns community! Thank you for visiting the official discussion thread for the Sparrow Dynamics Compliant Rifle Grip. I messed up and had some discussion happening in the marketplace. This thread is linked from our commercial sales thread. All comments and questions should happen here instead.

Last edited by Sparrow Dynamics; 11-24-2017 at 2:46 PM.. Reason: fixed title
Old 11-24-2017, 2:58 PM
Vendor/Retailer

We designed our grip to be very comfortable AND look like it belongs on a modern sporting AR-15. It is similar quality to Magpul furniture and we think it looks great and functions better. Hope you agree!

Last edited by Sparrow Dynamics; 05-03-2018 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: added 3 images
Old 11-24-2017, 3:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

We also have a very nice safety that has some features that are ideal for use with our grip. I may split this out to a separate discussion thread, but I figure it can all happen here for now. Thanks!

Our safety switch was specifically designed to make the experience of our CRG-15 grip even better. Being able to operate the safety with your index finger is really nice since you can’t reach it with your thumb. Ours can be set to 60 or 90 degree throws and our levers can be set in 6 different positions so you can find your optimum featureless configuration.

From our website:
Our ambidextrous safety selector is a superior drop-in replacement for all mil-spec safeties (AR platform 5.56 & 7.62) and is meticulously machined from the finest materials to provide the smoothest operation and a crisp positive feedback. The levers are machined from 7075 aluminum and are hard coat anodize (available in 4 different colors) after a heavy acid etch process which dulls the machined surface and provides a superior protective finish. The core or shaft is 416 stainless steel which is highly corrosion resistant and very strong. Our unique lobular interface between the lever and the shaft provides a solid connection and allows the lever to be installed in 6 different positions (not just two like other safeties) for the the ultimate experience in user customization. The engraved markings on the shaft simplify the installation of the 60 or 90 degree throw options. Quality USA made wrench included (not shown).
Old 11-24-2017, 3:21 PM
Vendor/Retailer

There is a current sale running. See details here in our marketplace thread to get the coupon code.
Marketplace Thread for Sparrow Dynamics CRG-15 Compliant Rifle Grip
... but, please keep discussion here in this thread.
Old 11-24-2017, 3:27 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Previous discussion brought over from the marketplace thread. = cleanup

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W.M.V. View Post
Are these hollow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow Dynamics View Post
Good question. Yes, they are hollow, very similar to Magpul's grips. Same strength and wall thickness with some ribs inside. We are also working on an insert for it for stuff like extra rounds, or bolt, firing pin, etc.

I'll try to get more photos showing that after Thanksgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Work on an aero 308?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Will they work with an A2 buttstock? Is there enough clearance to keep them compliant and not risk becoming a "thumbhole"?

Quote:
I don’t think any of them work like that with an A2 stock, unfortunately.
The exposed top of the trigger is too high.
Old 11-24-2017, 3:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer

NATEWA
They will fit on a 308 lower, but won't be usable with your thumb over the top. Although you can still use it similar to how you would a Monsterman grip with your thumb to one side. I'll try to add a photo showing that soon.

CRG-15-on-a-308-lower.jpg

Last edited by Sparrow Dynamics; 11-27-2017 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: added photo
Old 11-24-2017, 3:36 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Mayor McRifle
I think there is enough space so that the A2 stock won't touch the grip (causing a "thumbhole" situation), but I will need to confirm that for you early next week.
C.W.M.V. has a valid point. If I understand correctly. I will point out, that if the grip ends up not interfering with the A2 stock (which I will confirm for you), you WILL NOT be able to get your thumb over the top of the grip. Although you could still use it similar to how you would a Monsterman grip with your thumb to one side. I'll try to add a photo showing that soon. BUT, if you are using an A2 stock, maybe a Monsterman would blend better. It is a nice grip for that configuration.

P.S. It does work well with the Magpul fixed stock.
Old 11-24-2017, 4:42 PM

My thoughts:

The texturing on the grip is nice. Grippy but not rough.

The angle of the bottom of the grip is great.

The grip reminds me of a cross between the Liberal grip and a Hammerhead with a little bit of Monsterman thrown in. I like it a lot.

The grip fits really tightly on the lower (at least it did on mine). I had to gently tap it in place with a mallet.

The blob of threadlocker on the grip screw (I'm assuming that's what it was) may be a little heavy. I had a hard time screwing it in all the way.

Overall great grip. Ordered another one for my father in law.
Old 11-24-2017, 5:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Fantastic! Thanks for the feedback trackhazard!
I see you also wrote the full review here with a photo. NICE!
trackhazard's review

I'll look into the threadlocker. I originally wasn't going to include the threadlock patch and just let people add their own, but I thought it would be nice not to have to worry about not having loctite.

The tight fit is tricky. We let them cool on a jig for 8 hours so the plastic doesn't shrink in. The jig size is very exact, so that the grip fits nicely on a receiver that is .375 thick, and doesn't fit too loose on an undersized receiver (like a Spikes Tactical that I have). But, if your receiver is oversized, it will be a bit tight. We were shooting for a happy medium, and I think most people will be right in there.

We really like how the laser texture came out. Some day I'll post a video of the laser engraving the mold tool. It is memorizing to watch.
Old 11-24-2017, 5:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
When do expect to have black grips back in stock?
Inventory is fixed now. We have plenty in stock. The website inventory just wasn't updated when we received our last shipment.
Old 11-24-2017, 5:46 PM
Banned

Two on the way!
Old 11-24-2017, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

One on the way. I appreciate the discount and code. With tax and shipping it was just about $40. I feel like that's a bit steep for a grip9 but I understand it's a new product and probably not much more expensive than some of the other options. Of course no one is twisting my arm to buy it. Can't you ship via usps for cheaper than $7.95? Thanks again.

"You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 11-24-2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Inventory is fixed now. We have plenty in stock. The website inventory just wasn't updated when we received our last shipment.
Ordered, thanks!
Old 11-24-2017, 10:14 PM

Will fit on a SCAR?
Old 11-24-2017, 10:25 PM

I'm curious if you have it set up as featureless why does it appear in the pics to not have a standard mag release?
Old 11-24-2017, 10:37 PM

Bought one after I seen trackhazards review with the magpul fixed stock. I think I’m going to like it better than my current set up.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:38 PM

Looks like Magpul extended mag release to me which makes sense since the rifle looks like it has all magpul accessories. I have an Odin Works XMR on my rifle and my finger just barely reaches the mag release with this grip. I think the extended mag releases and the extended/ambi safeties are a good idea with these types of grips.
Old 11-25-2017, 9:51 AM
Calguns Addict

I just bought one. Looking forward to seeing how it compares against my old standby, the Monsterman Grip.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:31 PM

I've been leaning towards exile backfin but quality of this looks much better.

Also if you ever need to shoot the rifle weak handed the backfin(and offset grip wraps) are pretty bad.

Wouldn't matter so much with this style.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:06 AM

I’m curious how this would pair with an A2 stock or the Magpul Rifle Moe
Old 11-26-2017, 4:22 AM

Do you have a picture of your grip with a fixed A2 stock or Magpul fixed rifle stock?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:17 AM
G u n t h u s i a s t
CGN Contributor

I grabbed one to compare with the Liberal.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

I might have to pick one up to compare it to the Featureless Arms grip
Old 11-26-2017, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

I ordered one to see how it compares to the fin.

Thanks for another option.

Respectfully
Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 11-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlopez281 View Post
I’m curious how this would pair with an A2 stock or the Magpul Rifle Moe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcjackrabbit View Post
Do you have a picture of your grip with a fixed A2 stock or Magpul fixed rifle stock?
trackhazard was the first one to write a review and post a photo. His photo shows how he used the Magpul fixed rifle stock. He modified the buffer tube to extend the length of pull and also give room for his hand. Awesome!
trackhazard's review

If you put your Magpul fixed stock all the way against the castle nut (like Magpul intended), you will not have room to wrap your thumb over the top of the grip. With this featureless grip design (where the backstrap is above the top of the exposed portion of the trigger), you need to have that space clear under the buffer tube to get your thumb over the top of the grip.
If you use an A2 stock, or the Magpul fixed stock against the castle nut, you can hold the grip with your thumb to one side similarly to how you would hold the Monsterman grip. The Monsterman grip is a great option for the A2 stock and fits nicely. We designed our grip to blend well with Magpul furniture.

I'll try to add photos soon.

Last edited by Sparrow Dynamics; 11-27-2017 at 5:30 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle1886 View Post
I ordered one to see how it compares to the fin.

Thanks for another option.

Respectfully
Kyle
Thank you, and you're welcome!
Please post photos.
Old 11-27-2017, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
NATEWA
They will fit on a 308 lower, but won't be usable with your thumb over the top. Although you can still use it similar to how you would a Monsterman grip with your thumb to one side. I'll try to add a photo showing that soon.

Attachment 660138

Hate to be a “pest” but could you attach a magpul fixed stock or an ace skeleton to the lower?
Old 11-27-2017, 4:47 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
trackhazard was the first one to write a review and post a photo. His photo shows how he used the Magpul fixed rifle stock. He modified the buffer tube to extend the length of pull and also give room for his hand. Awesome!
trackhazard's review

If you put your Magpul fixed stock all the way against the castle nut (like Magpul intended), you will not have room to wrap your thumb over the top of the grip. With this featureless grip design (where the backstrap is above the top of the exposed portion of the trigger), you need to have that space clear under the buffer tube to get your thumb over the top of the grip.
If you use an A2 stock, or the Magpul fixed stock against the casle nut, you can hold the grip with your thumb to one side similarly to how you would hold the Monsterman grip. The Monsterman grip is a great option for the A2 stock and fits nicely. We designed our grip to blend well with Magpul furniture.

I'll try to add photos soon.
Awesome. I’m more of a fan of a fixed rifle stock compared to the carbine stock. I understand what you are saying. I think it would flow well with the magpul fixed rifle stock compared to an A2. It looks like it will fill my hand pretty well. I have large hands(xl-xxl size glove). Hopefully, I’ll be able to order one soon. Thank you for another option for featureless
Old 11-27-2017, 5:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Hate to be a “pest” but could you attach a magpul fixed stock or an ace skeleton to the lower?
I don't mind at all.

Concerning an AR-15 lower...
If you put your Magpul fixed stock all the way against the castle nut (like Magpul intended), you will not have room to wrap your thumb over the top of the grip.
This is true for an Ace skeletonized stock as well.
With this featureless grip design (where the backstrap is above the top of the exposed portion of the trigger), you need to have that space clear under the buffer tube to get your thumb over the top of the grip.
If you use an Ace skeletonized stock or the Magpul fixed stock against the castle nut, you can hold the grip with your thumb to one side similarly to how you would hold the Monsterman grip.

Concerning a 308 lower...
It doesn't matter which stock you put on it, you will need to keep your thumb on the same side as your trigger finger. There just isn't enough room there to put your thumb over the top of the grip. The lower and/or the stock gets in the way.
Old 11-30-2017, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

I just installed the grip and love it. I think it looks better than any of the others on a Carbine build (where the thumb can go over the top), and is a little more ergonomic than my current favorite, the MMG. My only suggestion is to lengthen it to the rear about 1/2 to 3/4", which would give a much better grasp for guys with big hands like me

Old 11-30-2017, 3:17 PM
Banned

That does look pretty good!
Can’t wait for my two to get here.

Edit: didn’t have to wait long, they were in my mailbox lol.
Just installed one on my wife’s carbine and I’ve got to say this is the single best featureless grip I’ve used between the thordsden, hammerhead, grip wraps or monsterman.

It’s really very natural, fits and fills the hand well, it’s tough and well made (though I will find something to cover the end up with as it’s hollow), the texture is very nice, and it just looks natural.
It’s kinda odd in pics but in person it looks like it belongs on the rifle. It has the magpul-esque look but in a featureless form.

All in all, well done! I’ll definitely be ordering a few more for myself and as gifts. Paired with the upcoming Resurgent arms extended safety I think we have a hell of a good combination.

Last edited by C.W.M.V.; 11-30-2017 at 7:56 PM..
Old 12-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
I just installed the grip and love it. I think it looks better than any of the others on a Carbine build (where the thumb can go over the top), and is a little more ergonomic than my current favorite, the MMG. .......
Awesome! I'm glad you like it! Thanks for the feedback and for posting your photos here too!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Just installed one on my wife’s carbine and I’ve got to say this is the single best featureless grip I’ve used between the thordsden, hammerhead, grip wraps or monsterman.

It’s really very natural, fits and fills the hand well, it’s tough and well made (though I will find something to cover the end up with as it’s hollow), the texture is very nice, and it just looks natural.
It’s kinda odd in pics but in person it looks like it belongs on the rifle. It has the magpul-esque look but in a featureless form.
Fantastic! Thank you for your order (and future orders).
And thanks for the nice write-up too.
I really appreciate hearing this... you work hard for so long to make something good, but you never know until you hear from customers.

BTW, we have been working on a very unique insert for it (that will hold stuff). Hopefully early next year.
Old 12-01-2017, 1:28 PM

I’m stuck with the cradle grip method on this build but it looks awesome!
Old 12-01-2017, 3:28 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharazon View Post

I’m stuck with the cradle grip method on this build but it looks awesome!
Thanks for posting!
That does look awesome! That is the first time I've seen it with the Ace skeleton stock. It really goes well with the angles and shape of the stock.

The nice thing about our grip is that it is still comfortable with the cradle style grip because the angle is swept back, but it also works great for a thumb-over hold if you don't have stock stuff in the way.
Old 12-01-2017, 5:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I haven’t tested it yet, but I like it better than all of the other options at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2017, 7:29 PM

Here's how it fits with my Luth MBA-2 Stock, which is A2 style. My thumb won't fit between the stock and the grip. With that said, the grip is very well made, feels good in the hand. I'll save it for a build with a different configuration.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Got mine installed today. By far my favorite featureless grip solution I have tried. I'll have to ditch my QD end plates, but worth it IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sparrow1.jpg (78.2 KB, 212 views)
Old 12-03-2017, 3:38 PM
G u n t h u s i a s t
CGN Contributor

Tried mine out at the range today and really liked it.
Old 12-06-2017, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

I had a minor issue and contacted Larry. He responded quickly and the issue was taken care of promptly.

It would be nice if all customer service was as prompt and respectful.

Thank you Larry, part received.

Respectfully
Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________