Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 12-29-2022, 10:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Feeding issues with Brownell G19 optic slide

Has anyone else had feeding issues after replacing the factory Glock 19 slide with a Brownell's optics cut slide? What are the differences, if any, between a Glock 19 gen 3 magazine and a Glock 19 gen 5 magazine? My best guess is that my slide is just "working in," but I may be wrong.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:50 PM

Default Note 1

1. The Federal plastic rounds seem to cause more problems than the old school ball rounds.

2. I believe I see a small improvement over time so that supports the "breaking in" theory.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Did you put your old slide back on to see if it's the new part?
Old 12-29-2022, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
Did you put your old slide back on to see if it's the new part?

Not positive I understand what you ask. Are you asking whether replacing the new slide with the old one solves the problem? If yes, I think you have a good plan to narrow the source of the problem. Unless there is something that prevents me, that experiment makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-29-2022, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

Yes. That is what I am recommending.
Old 12-29-2022, 1:07 PM
Veteran Member

BTW, you did not explain what feeding issues you are experiencing.
Old 12-29-2022, 1:08 PM

Quote:
BTW, you did not explain what feeding issues you are experiencing.

Stovepipes and what I call double-feeding (failure of round one to fully enter the chamber).
Old 12-29-2022, 1:13 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have an OEM guide rod in your glock?
Old 12-29-2022, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Do you have an OEM guide rod in your glock?

I do. Is that an issue?
Old 12-29-2022, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

My 17c was doing what you describe.
When I took a close look at the plastic guide rod, it was starting to fray a little. I replaced it with a tungsten rod and matching spring.
Problem solved.
And boy, did I get a bunch of crap from keyboard warriors accusing me of buying a useless part instead of taking it to a certified glock armoror.
Old 12-29-2022, 1:22 PM

Quote:
My 17c was doing what you describe.
When I took a close look at the plastic guide rod, it was starting to fray a little. I replaced it with a tungsten rod and matching spring.
Problem solved.
And boy, did I get a bunch of crap from keyboard warriors accusing me of buying a useless part instead of taking it to a certified glock armoror.

There is a component of Calguns that is, well, questionable. On the other hand there is a component that is totally amazing, useful and helpful. Nedro fills that bill.
Old 12-29-2022, 2:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
1. The Federal plastic rounds seem to cause more problems than the old school ball rounds.
Put the factory slide back on and see if the problem follows the plastic ammo or the new slide or the new magazines.
If the plastic ammo causes problems in both slides, or with both the old and new magazines then it's the ammo.
If the factory slide has no problem with the ammo, then the problem is following either the new slide or the new mags and one of those of the combination of those two has to be the problem.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 12-29-2022, 3:16 PM

Quote:
There is a component of Calguns that is, well, questionable. On the other hand there is a component that is totally amazing, useful and helpful. Nedro fills that bill.
Can't help but to agree. ar15barrels should also be thanked.

I'm kind of curious about your experience replacing your slide with something not made by Glock.

I have a 2nd generation glock and have considered buying a factory slide and having it milled to accept an RDS. But I don't want to risk messing up my current factory slide.

I did reach out to Glock and they told me an OEM 3rd generation slide should work on a 2nd generation frame. OP, what generation(s) are you working with?
Old 12-29-2022, 9:53 PM

Did you put a channel liner in the brownells slide?
Old 12-30-2022, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
Can't help but to agree. ar15barrels should also be thanked.

I'm kind of curious about your experience replacing your slide with something not made by Glock.

I have a 2nd generation glock and have considered buying a factory slide and having it milled to accept an RDS. But I don't want to risk messing up my current factory slide.

I did reach out to Glock and they told me an OEM 3rd generation slide should work on a 2nd generation frame. OP, what generation(s) are you working with?

Gen 3.

As I believe I wrote earlier, the function of the gun seemed to improve after I put about 50 rounds through it. So I'm still hopeful that it's just a matter of the slide "breaking in." Some of the bullets I was using could also be part of the problem. I was primarily using Federal Syyntech because that's the 9mm being sold by the range. I also had some traditional ball ammo which seemed to work better in the pistol. This particular pistol has historically been a bit picky on ammo.
Old 12-30-2022, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS_Kevo View Post
Did you put a channel liner in the brownells slide?

Yes. But it seems to me that channel liner issues would be more likely to affect ignition as opposed to feeding and extraction. My experience with feeding and extraction issues with the original slide were all related to the round's charge (with the pistol favoring a heavier charge).
Old 12-30-2022, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Put the factory slide back on and see if the problem follows the plastic ammo or the new slide or the new magazines.
If the plastic ammo causes problems in both slides, or with both the old and new magazines then it's the ammo.
If the factory slide has no problem with the ammo, then the problem is following either the new slide or the new mags and one of those of the combination of those two has to be the problem.

Great idea. I will do that. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2022, 8:21 AM

Mine had two double feeds within the first 50 rounds, but has been flawless ever since. I've probable run 3000 rounds through it. My only complaint is that it's squared-off profile is different enough that my kydex holsters don't quite fit.
Old 12-30-2022, 8:36 AM

I’ll throw my 2 cents in since I also own a brownells slide. The only issue I had was ejection/extractor related not feeding related. My slide is the optic cut version and you have to be mindful of the length of screw you use on the right side that is directly over the inner portion of the extractor. I changed the screw for a shorter one and that cleared my issue up. The longer screw was adding pressure on the extractor causing extracting issue and odd ejections. If you don’t have an optic mounted disregard my 2 cents
Old 12-30-2022, 9:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Great idea. I will do that. Thanks!
Also, since you mentioned that it's an optic cut slide, remove the optic mount screws and optic and see if the problems go away.
If the problems go away, it could be that the right screw is too long and it bearing on the extractor plunger causing failures to extract which you are incorrectly calling double feeds.

If that fixes it, confirm that the screw is not too long when you re-install the optic.
Remove the back plate off the slide and take out the extractor, plunger and spring and look inside to see if the screw is sticking into the bore that the extractor plunger slides into.
Tighten the optic screws into place before you reinstall the extractor and the extractor plunger.

Once you confirmed there is no screw problem, test fire it again.
If it functions correctly without the optic but has problems once you put the optic back on, you may simply have a problem with the ammo being underpowered.
Solutions for that are a lighter mainspring to work with the underpowered ammo or more powerful ammo to work with the standard mainspring.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 12-30-2022, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Also, since you mentioned that it's an optic cut slide, remove the optic mount screws and optic and see if the problems go away.
If the problems go away, it could be that the right screw is too long and it bearing on the extractor plunger causing failures to extract which you are incorrectly calling double feeds.

If that fixes it, confirm that the screw is not too long when you re-install the optic.
Remove the back plate off the slide and take out the extractor, plunger and spring and look inside to see if the screw is sticking into the bore that the extractor plunger slides into.
Tighten the optic screws into place before you reinstall the extractor and the extractor plunger.

Once you confirmed there is no screw problem, test fire it again.
If it functions correctly without the optic but has problems once you put the optic back on, you may simply have a problem with the ammo being underpowered.
Solutions for that are a lighter mainspring to work with the underpowered ammo or more powerful ammo to work with the standard mainspring.

Thanks yet again AR15barrels!

I was working on sighting in a 308 today, but I took the Glock along because I thought this particular range would have different ammo than the other range (which proved to be the case). Out of 50 shots this time I only had issues with the last two rounds. One other point. when I rack in the first bullet I also had an issue with the slide not going fully forward about an eighth of an inch. That happened again with the first round today, but not afterwards. More and more I'm thinking that the slide just needs to work itself in. But nonetheless I intend to try all of your suggestions because I may be wrong.