Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:20 PM

First, thank MudCamper so much for making this thread, which is very helpful for a lot of people. And also thank all the fellows who have answered questions in this thread.

Now, some specific questions. I am bringing family to Yosemite NP for the first time this weekend. I don't have a CCW but will get a hunting license (not getting a tag though).

1. If I want to carry a handgun, is the only legal way when hiking in the NP to unloaded conceal carry or locked unloaded cc?

2. If I want to carry a PCC, is the only legal way when hiking to UCC in a backpack?

3. Since I am using exemption with hunting license (I guess hunting is prohibited in Yosemite NP, so I can only use the exemption code related to "going to or from hunting"), do I have to bring unleaded ammo only?

Edit: just read most posts in this thread, it seems that I should replace all "hunting" with "fishing" in my original post since hunting is not allowed in Yosemite. But then I need to carry a fishing pole while hiking

Last edited by mi4; 05-24-2021 at 2:50 PM..
Old 06-22-2021, 9:16 PM

So basically all the situations where you are more likely to rub into a bad guy with a gun are the exact ones where it is illegal to carry one? (Unless you have a cow permit)?
Old 06-22-2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity View Post
So basically all the situations where you are more likely to rub into a bad guy with a gun are the exact ones where it is illegal to carry one? (Unless you have a cow permit)?

Bingo. Thank your local politicians and police that enforce their idiotic laws.
Old 06-23-2021, 2:54 PM

Yosemite ranger saw me carrying a can of bear spray and said you can't use that inside the park... we will cite you if you do...I said OK.. a ticket or being bear food...duh !

I can see the ranger having a melt down if they saw a real firearm... what about while fishing , there is something in the code about that (?)
Old 06-23-2021, 3:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by green grunt View Post
Yosemite ranger saw me carrying a can of bear spray and said you can't use that inside the park... we will cite you if you do...I said OK.. a ticket or being bear food...duh !

I can see the ranger having a melt down if they saw a real firearm... what about while fishing , there is something in the code about that (?)
Per Yosemite

.....Bear spray/pepper spray is not allowed in Yosemite.
The intent is not to harm the bear, but to scare it from the area and restore its natural fear of people by providing a negative experience.

What happens if the bear isn't scared?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
Per Yosemite

.....Bear spray/pepper spray is not allowed in Yosemite.
The intent is not to harm the bear, but to scare it from the area and restore its natural fear of people by providing a negative experience.

What happens if the bear isn't scared?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
In Yosemite the preferred bear deterrent is harsh language

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/scarebears.htm

Quote:
If you are in a developed area (e.g., campground, parking lot, lodging area) or if a bear approaches you, act immediately to scare it away: yell aggressively and as loudly as possible.
Also

Quote:
When a ranger sees a bear, the ranger may use non-lethal aversive tactics to chase the bear out of a developed area. During your overnight stay, expect to see and hear rangers patrolling public areas for bears. You may hear rangers yelling at and chasing bears.

NRA Benefactor
CRPA Life Member
GOA Member

Last edited by The Tiger; 06-23-2021 at 3:50 PM..
Old 06-26-2021, 7:01 AM

“ LOC and UOC are legal everywhere except "prohibited areas" (areas where shooting is prohibited)
- LOC, UOC, UCC, and LCC are all legal in one's campsite. (PC 26055, 26383, & 25605)”

So if I setup a campsite on a primitive campGROUND(just tables and fire rings) does they mean I can’t open carry within my campsite?
Old 06-26-2021, 8:00 PM

Huh, I thought you could OC in CA national parks, guess I was lucky the park ranger we met while backpacking didn't care about my gun lol. Good to know the law though.

So far I've carried in Death Valley, Zion, Valley of Fire, and Lassen.
Old 06-27-2021, 5:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

Quote:
Firearms

As of February 22, 2010, a federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, visit the California Attorney General's website.

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances.

Discharging a firearm for any reason is illegal.
Even if you carry a firearm, you can’t use it.
Old 06-29-2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:

Yosemite is under Federal law and the Superintendent of the NP there sets the rules (to some degree). Last I saw, weapons were forbidden without a permit.

Guess what, a CCW is a permit. Federal law says you can carry in National Parks so long as the state allows it. California allows it with a CCW. Just stay outta the staffed buildings as that's a Federal no-no.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weapons.htm

The long list of all the rules at Yosemite is found here:
https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/manag...compendium.pdf

There are other laws and and such in various parts of the park. It's very complicated, unfortunately, in that there is no one single place to check, and you've got to check all the places the laws and rules may be located.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/manag...ndpolicies.htm

Last edited by Jason95357; 08-27-2023 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: typo fix
Old 06-30-2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
That's funny, though. In general meaning, you can't even discharge your gun for self defense.
Old 07-01-2021, 2:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
that's probably to dissuade the people who would go there and shoot up the landscape and dump shells everywhere. i think the doctrine of competing harms should apply in real self defense cases. maybe it's why some of the rangers don't care if people carry pistols for personal protection
Old 07-01-2021, 8:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncage View Post
that's probably to dissuade the people who would go there and shoot up the landscape and dump shells everywhere. i think the doctrine of competing harms should apply in real self defense cases. maybe it's why some of the rangers don't care if people carry pistols for personal protection
I think it’s meant to deter drive-by shootings….seems effective, so far.
Old 07-22-2021, 9:34 AM

Hello Calgunners,

Has anyone camped in Tahoe Donner Campground in Truckee before ? If so please share if you know about their specific firearms policy. Thanks in advance !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2021, 6:52 PM

Food for thought ..

What's the likelihood of getting caught illegally ccwing vs the likelihood of needing a weapon? Penalties for each?

No encouragement one way or the other. Just food for thought.
Old 08-10-2021, 2:31 AM

Carry don’t say anything and hope you don’t have to use it and if you do make sure it was your last resort.
Old 12-19-2021, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B yond View Post
What's the likelihood of getting caught illegally ccwing vs the likelihood of needing a weapon? Penalties for each?
Penalty for the former is a misdemeanor. Penalty for the latter is death. Which would you prefer?
Old 05-09-2022, 4:45 PM

Link on main page to CA Parks is broken. Here is some good info:
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=937#weapons

Quote:

Can I carry a concealed weapon in a state park if I have a Carrying Concealed Weapon (CCW) permit?
Possibly yes. The carrying and possession of firearms in California’s state parks is generally prohibited and is only allowed per Title 14 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR), Section 4313.

Exceptions to this regulation are granted in the California Penal Code Section 25900 pertaining to law enforcement and retired law enforcement personnel, and PC Section 26010 for citizens with Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) permits. However, any restrictions placed on the CCW by the issuing agency would also be applicable in California’s state parks. For example, if the CCW is only valid in the CCW holder’s city of residence or county, it would not be valid in a state park unit located outside the city or county of the holder. Some CCWs also prohibit carrying in “parks” and this would include state park lands, if that is the case.
Old 05-10-2022, 7:14 PM

So, technically speaking, NO CALIFORNIA law enforcement can "harass" gun owners, while on FEDERAL land.
Old 05-10-2022, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttfish View Post
So, technically speaking, NO CALIFORNIA law enforcement can "harass" gun owners, while on FEDERAL land.
Not sure the point being made here. Are you suggesting that if I walked into federal court and shot someone, I couldn't be charged with murder under state law? Because it occurred on federal premises? That would be a bizarre result. A California peace officer has jurisdiction in every inch of the State of California so far as I'm aware, including national parks. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.
Old 09-21-2022, 8:26 PM

Hello, I had a question. If folks wanted to do an overnight ruck/backpacking trip on BLM land in CA, you could open carry a firearm (rifle/pistol) as long as you don’t find yourself in “prohibited areas” correct?

Aka for the whole trip you would need to avoid being within 150 yards of any residence, building, campsite, developed site, as well as roads or bodies of water?
Old 09-27-2022, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct78 View Post
Hello, I had a question. If folks wanted to do an overnight ruck/backpacking trip on BLM land in CA, you could open carry a firearm (rifle/pistol) as long as you don’t find yourself in “prohibited areas” correct?

Aka for the whole trip you would need to avoid being within 150 yards of any residence, building, campsite, developed site, as well as roads or bodies of water?
That's correct. People do that all the times. You can either carry open/concealed on BLM for camping/shooting when you're not in prohibited areas and other criteria.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

I started this thread, but have abandoned it the last several years. Thanks to all those who have stepped in to help others with questions.

With the laws getting even more byzantine every year, and with our recent win with Bruen, my most recent personal solution has been to apply for a CA CCW. While that process is dragging out for months, so far it is looking good.
Old 10-14-2022, 4:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
I started this thread, but have abandoned it the last several years. Thanks to all those who have stepped in to help others with questions.

With the laws getting even more byzantine every year, and with our recent win with Bruen, my most recent personal solution has been to apply for a CA CCW. While that process is dragging out for months, so far it is looking good.
13 yrs ago!

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-21-2022, 5:14 PM

I spoke to the ranger at Stanislaus National Park today about this. There best advice; park, get gear, walk 200 steps and establish a shoot spot. Walk 270 degrees around your shoot spot making sure you "know what is behind your target and for others" and then enjoy the land of many uses. Hi-vis orange ONLY suggested during hunting season. And no one, no one has a sole right to any spot in the SNF. Apparently, last weekend a couple of camping hunters ran some others away from their "spot". It is "the land of many uses for all people"
Old 10-21-2022, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

I love threads that are raised from the dead…. Zombie threads.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-26-2022, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

I and my friends used to hunt National Forest and BLM in Calaveras County for years back in the '80s-'90s every deer season with no issues, maybe big changes have occurred since then ? Railroad Flats, Glencoe and Summit Level Rd. Took a few Bambi's outa Summit Level Rd & Glencoe with my Garand and Mini 30.

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 10-26-2022 at 1:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-28-2022, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post

Are you hitting the 90 day mark?
I am doing some reading on ccw law here.
Seems finding a definitive resource on ccw law is a tad tough row to hoe...
Old 02-23-2023, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
Are you hitting the 90 day mark?
I am doing some reading on ccw law here.
Seems finding a definitive resource on ccw law is a tad tough row to hoe...
It took me 8 months start to finish but I now have my concealed carry license, from the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office.

If you need help on how to apply, look for your county specific discussion thread here.

As for definitive info on laws we must follow as license holders, that bugged me also, so I did what I always do, created a complete document on the topic. Thread is here. Document is here: http://tinyurl.com/caccwlaws
Old 03-02-2023, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapnellj View Post
I spoke to the ranger at Stanislaus National Park today about this. There best advice; park, get gear, walk 200 steps and establish a shoot spot. Walk 270 degrees around your shoot spot making sure you "know what is behind your target and for others" and then enjoy the land of many uses. Hi-vis orange ONLY suggested during hunting season. And no one, no one has a sole right to any spot in the SNF. Apparently, last weekend a couple of camping hunters ran some others away from their "spot". It is "the land of many uses for all people"
You do mean "Stanislaus National Forest" don't you, not "Stanislaus National Park"?

Dan