Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 05-02-2021, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday View Post
Did the DOJ finally accept the credit card size one? I got mine before the new ones were issued, but I was under the impression that the CC sized ones still aren't "official"
I asked SDCSO that question two weeks ago and here was their response:

Quote:
Good Morning,

Currently we are issuing the hard/plastic card but it is not state approved. The only license you are still able to carry is the paper license which is state approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
Some IA's give you only the CC sized one.
Don't know how that works with the answer to my question to the SDCSO.
Old 05-02-2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Don't know how that works with the answer to my question to the SDCSO.
My last 6 renewals have been only the CC style card.
The rice paper is on file at the SBCSD office.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 05-02-2021, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hopefully, if after all the shenanigans of SCOTUS are resolved in our favor, and California goes “shall issue”, there will be ONE uniform standard, statewide, for the actual CCW permits that are in the carrier’s possession while armed. Would be nice if that were credit card size.
Old 05-02-2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Hopefully, if after all the shenanigans of SCOTUS are resolved in our favor, and California goes “shall issue”, there will be ONE uniform standard, statewide, for the actual CCW permits that are in the carrier’s possession while armed. Would be nice if that were credit card size.
I would NOT count on SCOTUS. IMHO, ACB & Kavanaugh are totally unreliable and will go with Roberts.
Old 05-02-2021, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
My last 6 renewals have been only the CC style card.
The rice paper is on file at the SBCSD office.
Would be interesting to find out what would happen if you, or anyone else with just the CC permit, had to produce the permit and the LEO didn't recognize the CC permit. T'would be interesting to see what the SBCSO says when asked if the state recognizes the the CC permit. I'll err on the side of my IA for now; though I actually carry both.
Old 05-02-2021, 9:38 PM

Printed on the back of some ccw permits is the following:
Should the holder of this permit come to your attention as being in violation of any law, please confiscate this permit and return to xxxxx County Sheriff.

Thus a traffic violation ends CCW in this county.

Last edited by CenterX; 05-02-2021 at 9:40 PM.. Reason: letters reprganized.
Old 05-04-2021, 6:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
SCOTUS has nothing to do with this.

1. Right now, there is one, and only one license. It is the paper BOF 4502. The statute allows the AG to create a new “credit card” license, and/or approve local agencies’ production, but the AG hasn’t done either.

Sac Sheriff references this in his FAQs:
Quote:
Q 12. How many guns can I list on my CCW permit?

A: At the present time only three handguns can be listed. Governor Brown signed a bill that became law January 1, 2017 that authorizes the creation of a CCW ID card. DOJ must first convene a committee to study this issue and recommend a standardized CCW ID card. It is not known what mandated information must be on the new CCW ID card or whether permit holders will be able to list more than three handguns.
(That’s a policy statement, not a code cite, and I disagree with it, but the Sheriff continues to issue at a high rate for “self-defense”, so it really isn’t important what material forms the license.)

2. Nothing in statute requires the permit be carried. It’s stupid not to, and many IAs have a rule for it, but the statute doesn’t require it. However, Section 4 of the Standard Application has you agreeing, in relevant part:
Quote:
Section 4 - CCW License Conditions and Restrictions
[...]
While exercising the privileges granted to the licensee under the terms of this license, the licensee shall not, when carrying a concealed weapon:
[...]
• Refuse to show the license or surrender the concealed weapon to any peace officer upon demand.
[...]
• Carry a concealed weapon not listed on the permit.
• Carry a concealed weapon at times or circumstances other than those specified in the permit.
It’s very hard to do any of that in the field if you aren’t carrying the license (or, maybe, the ID Card).

3. The statute provides the IA with broad leeway to issue:
-Some IAs issue nothing.
-Some IAs issue only the Rice Paper.
-Some IAs issue both the Rice Paper and the ID Card.
-Some IAs issue (and retain) the Rice Paper in your file and provide you with an ID card.

But, the, “...One, uniform standard, statewide, for the actual CCW permits that are in the carrier’s possession while armed,” is the Rice Paper license.
Old 05-04-2021, 6:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Would be interesting to find out what would happen if you, or anyone else with just the CC permit, had to produce the permit and the LEO didn't recognize the CC permit. T'would be interesting to see what the SBCSO says when asked if the state recognizes the the CC permit. I'll err on the side of my IA for now; though I actually carry both.
Not having seen these cards, I can only suspect that they carry a CII#, (like the Rice Paper license), and the carrier is sufficiently astute to point this out to LEOs, who can run the number against the known persons record and confirm the carrier’s CCW.

If that is not the case, it could be a long day...and night.
Old 05-04-2021, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Not having seen these cards, I can only suspect that they carry a CII#, (like the Rice Paper license), and the carrier is sufficiently astute to point this out to LEOs, who can run the number against the known persons record and confirm the carrier’s CCW.

The L.A. County one does in fact have the CII# on the card. It almost line for line like the paper BOF 4502, but has licensee's picture on it also.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 05-22-2021, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

Default One more time

In this, the 127th iteration of this thread since 2011, my answer remains the same. Use a wallet that fits the license. This one has worked well for me. You can put other stuff on each side as well (DL, credit/debit cards, whatever). This is just one of many wallets available that will accommodate the CA LTC.

https://www.desantisholster.com/bi-f...ential-holder/

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 05-22-2021 at 8:24 AM..
Old 05-22-2021, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post

San Bernardino CCWs do in fact have the CII number on them and the ORI number.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 05-22-2021, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
In this, the 127th iteration of this thread since 2011, my answer remains the same. Use a wallet that fits the license. This one has worked well for me. You can put other stuff on each side as well (DL, credit/debit cards, whatever). This is just one of many wallets available that will accommodate the CA LTC.

https://www.desantisholster.com/bi-f...ential-holder/
I take it it isn't RFID reader protected?
Old 05-22-2021, 10:36 PM

Yes, I bought a new wallet for my CCW card. I splurged on a $175 Coach double billfold wallet. It holds the card perfectly. YOLO.
Old 05-23-2021, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I take it it isn't RFID reader protected?
No, but that’s largely just another solution in search of a verifiable problem anyway.
Old 05-23-2021, 8:11 AM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
The LEO has no choice but to accept it. It is a legal document. The LEO can run the CII number to check if it is valid!
You don’t say...

Give that a try in Marin county. Let us know how that works out for you

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 06-21-2021, 4:55 PM

Perfect Fit makes affordable ID cases and wallets in lots of different sizes - and they're made in USA. Ive ordered a few from here:

https://www.qualitypolicecollectible...-and-id-cases/

Strong Leather is another good option. epolicesupply sells them.
Strong has both Made in USA and imported.