Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Expatriates (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=368)
-   -   Had to laugh when I saw the Power bill (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1745711)

mojo goat 09-17-2021 1:34 PM

Had to laugh when I saw the Power bill

We have the thermostat set for 70f A/C 24hrs a day, ran the air compressor every other day, did some welding, pressure washing, large screen tv on a lot, washer and elect dryer, table saw etc....
Our monthly bill was $90 for gas and electric!
In calif, I would get a bill for this amount only if I were on vacation most of the month. Our PG&E power bill ran usually ran $200 in the summer with no A/C, to $425 or more in the winter.

DaveInOroValley 09-17-2021 2:14 PM

Our gas bill was 9.00 one month since we upgraded our water heater to a tankless unit. Used to be about 18.00. Our power bill during the hottest days of Summer has never gone above 150.00 and that's the very high end.

Our PG&E when in California during the same time would run 400 plus. And this house is exactly twice the sq feet of our old one. And oh yeah, our water bill here has never been above 60.00 when it was 120.00 in California.

House has full perimeter security lighting and landscaping lights, water fountain, other night lighting.

Nothing but win for us.

Phouty 09-17-2021 5:42 PM

The resident of State of Misery Missouri reporting here.
We do not (meaning my wife and myself, living on our multi-acre estate) have any bills to pay except electric power bills and so called media. (We even do not subscribe to TV service...who cares about the same commercials and "independent" CNN "reports"? :chris:
Decided upon moving in last year to contract trash service.
In the state of MO there is no "refund fee" (read: tax) on plastic, glass, or metal containers, and in my county there is no requirement to have a trash service...light years behind :hurray: the "progressive" state of Commiefornia. :hurray:
Nothing would prevent me to throw all such environmentally unfriendly materials behind our house...the rest of it I could be simply burned out...in my camp fire...whole 30 yards away from my adobe.
Just today I paid our voluntary trash service bill (annual contract) for an incredibly high amount of $200...down $20 from the previous year.
Someone said inflation? :eek:

Last year in July, after moving in as "financial refugees from Commiefornia" into our MO estate, we decided to "test" our electric power usage. All possible (and even "impossible") electric appliances were set to a "full blast". We consumed mere 1.21 MWh in that particular monthly billing cycle, which produced a bill of whole $122.

This year's July was also very hot. Same technique..."full blast".
We consumed 1.34 MWh (13 kWh more on YTY basis) of electric energy, for which we were billed this time..."only" $119. (Whole three dollars less compared to a last year, and we used more energy)! Yes, the electric energy cost in the mid-west is decreasing! :eek:

Heating in the winter?
No problem!
We've got on our property unlimited source of firewood (zero cost, except for our own labor, which has a positive influence on my beer belly (not so bad...6'' height, waist size 32", weight #178-180)....+40 years spent behind the desk (private aerospace industry), where the most demanding physical task was to be able to lift your pen in order to sign several pages of some highly sophisticated, yet incredibly stupid reports, mostly for DoD Dept.).
Needles to mention, we have also additional sources of heat in the winter. Just signed pre-paid contract for a 1,000 gallons of LPG. We've got a 500 gallon tank on our property. Missed it by 2 to 3 weeks, otherwise I would have saved about $.35 a gallon. Mental note to myself: Always order the LPG in the hottests months of the year. Can however live with that. I've got also a 500 gallon tank full of diesel fuel for our self-starting emergency generator. (Inherited from the previous owner).
Never used it, but is comforting to know, that I'm (we are...let's not forget about my lovely wife) completely "energy independent").

BTW
Our "regular" electric bills average something around $45 to $65 per month.
Which is an equivalent of two meals for two in a Sonic. Those who do not know what Sonic is, they do not know what is a meaning of life, while living in a Free and Independent States of (so called) America. :oji: :TFH:

Dnele928 09-17-2021 5:56 PM

Mojo, location? Certainly not Fortuna, CA.

Tell me more of this remarkable place you have escaped to.

mojo goat 09-18-2021 5:56 AM

Twin Falls, I noticed there is no bottle or can fee, trips to the dump are free, recycling done by the trash service so no sorting and multiple containers. There's no trash or abandoned cars on the roadways.

Unit74 09-18-2021 6:29 AM

Our electric bill here is about $250-300 in summer. Shrinks to nothing from dec -March. We have to run the AC from April -Nov. no getting around it other than camping out in the supermarket.

DolphinFan 09-18-2021 7:10 AM

My last DWP bill was $2,200.

Phouty 09-18-2021 1:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DolphinFan (Post 26172780)

Man, I wish I were a millionaire like you. :D
How much energy did you use?

mojo goat 09-18-2021 2:06 PM

Last year my neighbor had his son and family (5) live with them for a few months, with the extra washing and drying, tv's on all day etc.... his electric bill was over $1300.

ZapThyCat 09-18-2021 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phouty (Post 26171496)
The resident of State of Missouri reporting here.

When I first moved here, my California sensibilities, conservative as they were, were slightly offended that many people had burn barrels, and simply burned their trash. Me, being a pyro, then had fun with this.

Upon reflection, however, I realized that me burning my trash, while having a private forest, was far less of a carbon footprint than me living in a crowded rat race of a city. My trees love the smoke, it's absorbed and helps them grow.

Yeah. Missouri > Cali

Unit74 09-19-2021 5:48 AM

Zap

First time I started a burn pile of brush, I actually felt like I was committing arson. I felt so wrong, having spent 35 years in Ca. being brainwashed. I expected the putty sheriff to show up and haul me off at some point.

mojo goat 09-19-2021 7:49 AM

Calif invests heavily in green energy for a lower carbon footprint yet they mismanage and under fund forest management which due to the wildfires, makes them the biggest polluter in the States. No-one talks about the pollution the fires cause.

wpage 09-19-2021 7:51 AM

It never ends...

Only goes up.

BAJ475 09-19-2021 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DolphinFan (Post 26172780)

Does DWP refer to LA DWP?

mshill 09-19-2021 7:52 PM

I chuckled last month when our power company sent us a notice that the cost of electricity was going from $.0975/kWH to $.1025/kWH. My response... haha.

ACfixer 09-20-2021 2:49 PM

I just got a notice from my power company - Appalachian Electric - saying my September bill would be significantly more than last year. Well yeah, last year I wasn't full time yet, and the bill was $27.

My highest power bill so far has been $124 - 2,000 sq. ft house with the AC always on at 74. Yearly propane runs about $1,200 and I keep my house toasty in the winter. Trash and water are $54 a month total.

Property tax is $1,000 a year, but they'll knock $100 off if you give blood or put your name on an emergency call list for the volunteer FD.

You don't really understand how many ways you are getting screwed in SoCal until you leave.

SomeGuy75 09-25-2021 11:37 AM

We run our pool pumps 12 hours a day, have a two story 4K sq ft house with the AC constantly set to 70 as well as a secondary AC unit in the garage that I usually forget to turn off. Our bill is less than $200. Plus $75 to fill up my truck instead of $140.

BigBronco 09-26-2021 7:53 AM

The house we are moving to in AZ has Solar panels on it anxious to see the power bills.

DolphinFan 09-26-2021 8:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phouty (Post 26173660)
Man, I wish I were a millionaire like you. :D
How much energy did you use?

I have no idea how much power was used but I can guarantee it was from the use of the air conditioner. Wife likes it at 74, I don't mind 78.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAJ475 (Post 26177471)
Does DWP refer to LA DWP?

YES. And my Tiered rates have continually been decreased. Baseline is now 1000Kwh before billing at tier 2 rates.

Winter months the bill is closer to $750 or $375 a month for Water and Power. I'm in 3,900 sq ft with a pool and jacuzzi.

Phouty 09-26-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DolphinFan (Post 26197568)
I have no idea how much power was used but I can guarantee it was from the use of the air conditioner. Wife likes it at 74, I don't mind 78.

YES. And my Tiered rates have continually been decreased. Baseline is now 1000Kwh before billing at tier 2 rates.

Winter months the bill is closer to $750 or $375 a month for Water and Power. I'm in 3,900 sq ft with a pool and jacuzzi.

Our house is 3,500 sq ft, and in summer months we also use air set to "full blast". Don't have a pool, (instead got a mountain year-round stream running through our property), but of course love to "grow fins" while basking in our jacuzzi. Water is ours, coming from deep water well, so basically is "for free". Same with sewage...got own septic system.
Our power is provided by a local cooperative SE-MA-NO.
https://www.semano.com/
Which means that in order to become a customer, one has to become a member. Voting member of the coop I mean...just voted for incumbent president...see below for the reason why.

July 2020 electric bill: Usage 1,208 kWh --> monthly bill $122.
July 2021 electric bill: Usage 1,341 kWh --> monthly bill $119.

Despite slightly higher usage, we "saved" whole three dollars this year. :cool:
So, the president of our coop takes care of business very well. Let's keep him in office.

Our regular electric bills are $45 to $65. Can't complain.

Gasoline prices at the local Murphy's gas station stabilized at $2.82/gal. (Compared to $1.90 to $2.20 during "Trump era").
One gets 3 pennies discount per gallon when using their gas card.
Can live with that.

bigbearbear 10-03-2021 6:58 PM

My electrical bill in summer here in WA is $7.49. And no, it is not a typo, Seven Dollars and Forty Nine Cents. :)

I should also mention that I have solar panels and 3 powerwalls, and the house has closed cell spray foam insulation, the $7.49 is the non-bypassable connection charge from the utilities.

Total cost for electric and natural gas was $29.12 for the month.

The PG&E bill for my vacant property in CA for the same month, is $37.34.

If you factor in the fact that I kept the AC on 24/7 here in WA, and that my WA house is 3 times the size of the one in CA, it is pure lunacy how much electricity and natural gas in CA cost.