Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Announcements and Suggestions (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Open Letter - how can we make Calguns.net better? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=128315)

SactoDoug 12-10-2020 10:07 AM

With the constant crackdown of Gun related content on YouTube, it would be a good idea to allow embedding of videos from Bit Chute and Rumble.

iJhin 12-10-2020 7:55 PM

Filters, like manufacturers, ammo type, location. Nocal from Socal.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

iJhin 12-14-2020 11:46 PM

Maybe add searching for wtb and wtt for each to have their own subcategories after entering long guns or had guns.

Separate North California from South California

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Tailspin 12-21-2020 9:12 AM

Subcategories for Long Guns so the “item” you are trying to sell stays on the first page for more than an hour LOL

1) Military, Vintage, Curio & Relic, Antique … Bolt Action

2) Military, Vintage, Curio & Relic, Antique … Semi Auto

3) Retail, Custom, Precision, Hunting … Bolt Action

4) Retail, Custom, Precision, Hunting … Semi Auto

5) Shotguns …

The same can be applied for Handguns but not sure of the Subcategories?

Paul

Wordupmybrotha 12-29-2020 11:37 AM

Would be nice to have a comment box next to the person that we place on the ignore list to remind ourselves why we put them on the ignore list.

AregularGuy 12-29-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha (Post 25244848)
Would be nice to have a comment box next to the person that we place on the ignore list to remind ourselves why we put them on the ignore list.

I love this idea! I'm too forgiving and also forgetful. I want to remember why I'm so bitter!

Garv 12-29-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

I like that. +1

PaperTarget 12-29-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Word up.

I could even go with multiple choice from about 4 reasons.

SharedShots 02-05-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

To me someone on ignore is an AH and repeat offender, no problem remembering them on a forum or real life. If there are so many AHs around that I can't remember who they are then maybe I'm in the wrong place, hanging around with AHs is a waste of time.

Now something that would really be useful is a space below the username indicating how many others users have them on ignore. That becomes a good cross reference because if you run across one with a high ignore count you can easily check out if its them or they ran across some clique of real AHs, they often run together and back each other up.

BCD 02-17-2021 9:33 AM

how can we make Calguns.net better?

Pawn shops and other California based gun stores (including Turners) have a many fair priced weapons on consignment. You may wish to tap into this market, and bring revenue to Calguns from these type of sellers.

Nottacticool 03-26-2021 7:42 AM

When we go to the new version, eliminate all sub-forums not directly related to guns.

General 03-26-2021 7:48 AM

Sure would be handy to have a, "SAVE THIS SEARCH" feature.

AregularGuy 03-26-2021 8:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nottacticool (Post 25597616)
When we go to the new version, eliminate all sub-forums not directly related to guns.

Are you nuts?

plinker202020 03-26-2021 8:30 AM

Sort by location in marketplace. Hate wasting time clicking on items too far to PPT.

Ideally the seller would click on counties hes willing to show up in to do the transaction and the ad is then sorted accordingly.

That way a buyer whos not willing to travel too far twice need only see the firearms offered where hes willing to PPT.

Garv 03-26-2021 8:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nottacticool (Post 25597616)

Most members will disagree but:

Maybe you have not seen this, so I'll offer a suggestion that currently works for many of us.

Create a new link as shown below.

Replace the numbers with whatever forum number you don't want to see.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...241,153,245,24 2,246
(Example only.)

That'll work with a browser but not tapatalk.

Hopefully something similar will work in the next version.

I agree there are some annoying subforums, but I have found many to be very useful at times.

Off Topic is fun when you can ignore some of the idiocy.

Deals, Sales, and Coupons has been very useful.

Gun people often like Knives, Bows, Fishing, etc.

My XBOX One was purchased from a member on Non-Firearms Sales in the Market.

To each his own.

AregularGuy 03-26-2021 9:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garv (Post 25597824)

Maybe you have not seen this, so I'll offer a suggestion that currently works for many of us.

(Example only.)

I agree there are some annoying subforums, but I have found many to be very useful at times.

To each his own.

I guess I don't unnderstand why this is a "thing". Is someone forced to go into, say, Off Topic, for example? Only go to the subs you want, no?

Garv 03-26-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AregularGuy (Post 25597962)
I guess I don't unnderstand why this is a "thing". Is someone forced to go into, say, Off Topic, for example? Only go to the subs you want, no?

I browse a lot and use "New Posts", so limiting the topics would make that easier for some to find their preferences and to enter the others intentionally without as much as seeing the titles elsewhere.

(I do not have anything excluded.)

The most requests for this seem to be those who only deal in the Marketplace and don't give a doodle for the rest of CG.

-hanko 03-26-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garv (Post 25598234)
The most requests for this seem to be those who only deal in the Marketplace and don't give a doodle for the rest of CG.

And definitely don't give a doodle for supporting Calguns.

Cheapazz.

Sequencer60 03-26-2021 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garv (Post 25597824)

(Example only.)

To each his own.

Pretty much the majority of OT.

AregularGuy 03-26-2021 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sequencer60 (Post 25599116)
Pretty much the majority of OT.

That's why it's "OT". :facepalm:

zouaveherb 03-27-2021 10:11 PM

A way to search for sale/trade/WTB ads by distance from a zip code? Crescent City is not exactly a short drive from San Diego...

1911-CV 03-30-2021 10:29 AM

Make "advanced search" more advanced

It would help if the "advanced search" were more advanced. Currently a match on any of the search terms returns a hit. Adding logic (and, or, not) would help for all those times you're sure you saw a post about something and have hundreds of possible matches in the search return...

TrappedinCalifornia 03-31-2021 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911-CV (Post 25611037)
It would help if the "advanced search" were more advanced. Currently a match on any of the search terms returns a hit. Adding logic (and, or, not) would help for all those times you're sure you saw a post about something and have hundreds of possible matches in the search return...

Hundreds of possible matches where you then have to search each thread to see if the 'match' is relevant to what you were looking for; something which is particularly problematic when it involves common terms.

Similarly, the site's search feature tends to "not currently working" when more than two terms/words are used.

This is the primary reason I use a Google search as often (maybe more so) than the site's search. It seems to work similarly on DuckDuckGo.

AregularGuy 04-15-2021 10:35 AM

How to subscribe to threads without posting? I am not getting notifications to some subscribed threads but there are obviously posts. Some subscriptions I am getting notified. Anyone else having issues with some or no subscriptions?

AregularGuy 04-15-2021 10:43 AM

I checked yesterday and there were no Calguns notifications in my Spam folder. Today there are several. Yahoo email has done this several times but not all notifications that I should be getting are in there. Some threads still missing.

JamesCC 05-02-2021 3:21 PM

Seems like it’s hard to navigate sometimes due to size on
Mobile

JWil 05-23-2021 2:29 PM

NorCal/SoCal separation. I go on CalGuns for more than just the sales but I mean, the classifieds are borderline worthless. Even armslist let's you sort out based on county.

bcoc2002 05-27-2021 9:32 AM

Separate Ca

Divide Cal up into 3 sections, North, Central, South. Eliminate the need of scrolling thru endless posts that dont apply to one's needs.

Kevinjanko 06-18-2021 10:12 AM

Splitting the marketplace into Northern and Southern California. All too many time something catches my eye, only to find it in Northern California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharedShots 07-11-2021 8:57 AM

How about two additional sub-forums:

1. The Science of it all
2. Self Defense/Home Defense

For the first one, there are some remarkably knowledgeable people here who have a lot to contribute not always related to a just a single aspect of firearms ownership and instead go deep, not where many people really want to go Some people want to talk about ballistics, the mechanics of lubrication and so on. If you want to dive deep into the history and whys of things, this would be the place. Why are there more than one ballistic coefficient? Find the answer there.

The second one. There is no doubt that people just watching and "lurking" see the same theme over and over, a discussion takes place and before you know it everything gets into the shooting of bad guys, fire fights and such things. It happens on almost every thread no matter what the OP asked about - shooting someone - bad guy whatever. There has to be far more to all this than everything being about shooting some bad guy.

Looking from the outside in you might think a majority of the people here are running around just waiting for someone to present an opportunity. Its like a certain segment eat, breathe and exist in a world where they step outside their front door and it's game on, time to do battle.

Take any AR thread and it always comes down to shooting someone. Go look for yourself and you'll see it too. There is more to it, a lot more.

There should be a place where all the tactical talk can be the primary subject or it just becomes the primary subject of the entire forum and that doesn't bode well for expanding visitor and member rolls.

Infunny_securityman 08-01-2021 12:22 AM

I would like to see a forum added for private security related topics. There we could post things about BSIS firearms permits and other licenses, training, legalities, news and laws being introduced to the legislature.