Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   FFL's Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Address change question (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1712304)

SarcoBlaster 04-20-2021 7:47 PM

Address change question

Howdy! Hoping an FFL can shed some light on my situation.

Background:
  • I moved and mailed in the DMV 14 change of address form 4 weeks ago because the DMV's website said I wasn't eligible to update my address online.
  • My DL has my old address on it.
  • The registration for my wife's vehicle has both of our names and our current address on it.

Questions:
  • In order to DROS my next gun, just confirming I'll need: DL with old address to prove age and identity, vehicle registration with current address to prove residency, and an FSC?
  • Is there any way to check if the change of address was processed by the DMV before I start a DROS and possibly get denied?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Nardo1895 04-21-2021 6:32 AM

You are also going to need a second form of government issued identification that has your current address. This is a Fed requirement, not State. Most of my customers in your situation have used a fishing license but I have heard that a campfire permit from USFS will also work and its free.

I suggest you ask your FFL what they will accept.

Not sure about your DMV question.

morrcarr67 04-21-2021 7:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarcoBlaster (Post 25685015)
Howdy! Hoping an FFL can shed some light on my situation.

Background:
  • I moved and mailed in the DMV 14 change of address form 4 weeks ago because the DMV's website said I wasn't eligible to update my address online.
  • My DL has my old address on it.
  • The registration for my wife's vehicle has both of our names and our current address on it.

Questions:
  • In order to DROS my next gun, just confirming I'll need: DL with old address to prove age and identity, vehicle registration with current address to prove residency, and an FSC?
  • Is there any way to check if the change of address was processed by the DMV before I start a DROS and possibly get denied?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

I have no idea if you can check on the DMV issue.

Though, you can create an account with the CFARS website and update your information there. This is being told to people who have moved and would like to buy ammo but haven't bought a new firearm, which would update there info. This could also help when the DROS is ran as they would already have your new address.

Keep in mind it does nothing to help with your second proof of identity.

ronlglock 04-21-2021 8:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardo1895 (Post 25685934)
You are also going to need a second form of government issued identification that has your current address. This is a Fed requirement, not State.

So the registration alone doesn’t work? That’s what I’ve been using on the second page of the 4473.

Tyke8319 04-21-2021 8:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronlglock (Post 25686252)
So the registration alone doesn’t work? That’s what I’ve been using on the second page of the 4473.

CA. vehicle reg. fits the requirement.

acespawnshop 04-21-2021 8:41 AM

You are fine using your DMV registration. NO there is not a second form of government issued identification needed. You might be confusing proving address with proving identity. Identity was proven when the DL/ID MIL ID was shown, address is the issue. You MUST prove address for ATF using a government document (not a second form of ID). Sometimes your document that satisfies ATF's requirement will overlap with the DOJs requirement for proof of residency, sometimes it doesn't. This is where the confusion arises. The other issue that arises for handgun purchases in CA is that DOJ does not accept an ID/DL Mil ID as sufficient proof that the purchaser is a California resident and requires one of the documents that the DOJ says is sufficient proof of residency.

SarcoBlaster 04-21-2021 12:47 PM

Thanks for the clarification, everyone.

wpage 04-21-2021 1:02 PM

Address change is a bigger deal than you may imagine.

The DMV process alone is a hassle.

Do not expect much coop from gov.

Nardo1895 04-21-2021 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronlglock (Post 25686252)

You are probably right. In the cases I've dealt with, their DMV registration address matched the CDL address. Neither were current.

acespawnshop 04-21-2021 2:55 PM

DMV registration is a government document, so if their address is not current that would suffice for the "2nd page of the 4473" Also, happens to work for DOJ proof of residency docs as well.