Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 08-11-2014, 1:29 PM

Default taking asvab tomorrow..

hello guy/gals

tomorrow i am going to take the asvab for the first time, im excited to see how i do and hope to do well. all the practice ones that i have taken i have scored high on and the recruiter told me i would be able to do pretty much anything i wanted (keep in mind recruiter told me ) i have been studying and brushing up on some of the stuff that is going to be on the test.

does anyone have any tips on taking the test or whats on it that i need to study?

i am hoping that i score well enough to get the job i want (68W). as a back up are there any other jobs that i should keep as a back up that will translate into the civilian world for a ok/well paying job. everyone that i have talked to has said pretty much anything with technology now a days will help you get a job. i planned to become an EMT through the 68W training then go to paramedic school. the recruiter said i should have three or more backups for jobs, i dont want to be a trash man in the military.

as of right now im going in a reservist and planned to do 4 years but the recruiter mentioned that six in the reserves isnt bad and you "can" get enlistment bonuses.

as for my contract i have a buddy who was a 68W that was attached to an airborne unit and went to airborne school. my brother in law was also a ranger who went to airborne school and said that i should get airborne. after talking to my recruiter he said that it is not that common for 68w to get airborne in there contract, and everyone i have talked to says that if i really want it that it better be in my contract and dont take any promises from them because it wont happen. i really want to get airborne but i do now know if there are any airborne units around me that i can be assigned too. i also read that if you do get airborne you will be assigned to a combat unit but if you dont get airborne there is more of a chance to get assigned to a hospital and not a unit. i really want to get assigned to a combat unit and be out there.

do i have any leverage to get them to give me airborne in my contract? i know with the shrinking of the military it has become harder and harder to use the whole i wont sign unless trick, i just really want to get airborne....

thank you for your insight.
mike
Old 08-11-2014, 2:22 PM

Why are you going army? Have you thought about what each service can offer you? Decide what you want to do.....have a list. If one service won't give it to you, go to another. But please don't be closed-minded on the branch.

As for the asvab, nothing study can do today will help you do better tomorrow. Just chill tonight. Don't drink tonight, get a solid nights rest, eat a good meal in the AM and be hydrated.

My advice is whatever job you take, make sure their is a field for it on the civilian side. Very few jobs for string yankers or trigger pullers after military life. If your gonna do the time, make it worth while for your future.
Old 08-11-2014, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

This boy wants to jump out of aeroplanes! Bad!
Old 08-11-2014, 2:52 PM

Try to find the equivalent of the Navy's CTN (Cryptologic Technician Networks) rating. Friend of mine has been in for only 2 years and is already an E5. Amazing opportunities if you get out after your first or second enlistment. Look at the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook for a better idea of what jobs you take that will realistically translate into employable skills. At the very least, you could go to college after 4 years.
Old 08-11-2014, 2:55 PM

Honestly the army has really only been the branch that had interested me all that much. My sister is in the Air Force and only job that really interested me was security forces.. As for the navy corpse man would interest me since it can translate over.

Are there any other jobs you guys suggest I look into that would translate into the civilian world.

I want to be on the ground out there don't really want to sit behid a desk or computer.
Old 08-11-2014, 2:57 PM

Forgot to mention I have my associates already and I am 25 and I am working towards a bachelors but I still have year ad half to two years until I reach that
Old 08-11-2014, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
This boy wants to jump out of aeroplanes! Bad!

Let me clarify that....

This boy wants two broken knees, one broken ankle, 3 compressed discs and a pretty blue placard for his window for the rest of his life....
Old 08-11-2014, 3:03 PM

^^ haha I have heard about the bad things about airborne too
Old 08-11-2014, 3:14 PM

Good luck! I took mine 40 years ago, 26.5 years later, I retired from the Army. Went in enlisted, retired an officer. Anything is possible in the Army if you apply yourself.

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 08-11-2014, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikex View Post
Honestly the army has really only been the branch that had interested me all that much. My sister is in the Air Force and only job that really interested me was security forces.. As for the navy corpse man would interest me since it can translate over.

Are there any other jobs you guys suggest I look into that would translate into the civilian world.

I want to be on the ground out there don't really want to sit behid a desk or computer.
What is a corpse man? Also capitalize Army and Navy. Attention to detail will get you far in the military.
Old 08-11-2014, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

If you really want Airborne make damn sure you get it on your enlistment contract! I made the mistake of not doing my research and here I am wishing I got that slot. Its much easier going Airborne as a fresh boot than some soldier that has already spent time with Big Army.. Lets just say my overall PT and physical shape was at its best during BCT and AIT
Old 08-11-2014, 6:18 PM

Attention to detail is spot on advice. First things first. Take the test and see where you fall. Then review each position and its counterpart in the civilian world. There are to many to name. Warrant officer pilot is not a bad gig either. Supply chain management is a big thing in the retail world today.

The last ten years were in the field it is now transitioning to the peace time military.

Let us know how you did on the test and Good Luck.
Old 08-11-2014, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

I hated the asvab.. the only thing I recall from taking it was that if it wasn't for my wife and I having different tests they would have accused of cheating. We were both 1 point off of a perfect score and both in the same place.

Couldn't get the recruiters to leave me alone at that point.. but since none of them could score me an OCS position.. oh well.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 08-11-2014, 9:12 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Dude, you can get an EMT cert in about three months through a community college program... I did. If you're looking to enlist, look toward a rating or MOS that's going to give you a security clearance and technical training; you can easily get your EMT cert after getting out if you don't decide to put your clearance and training to work making $$$ for a defense contractor.

Navy Corpsman (HM) is more clinic nursing type of work... unless you get Fleet Marine Force, which is a small percentage of HM's as a whole. I worked with a guy who went 68W... he regretted it cuz he left 4 years later with just the basic veteran benefits and an EMT cert.

The general rule is - don't go HM/68W because you wanna become a civilian medic later on... and don't go MP/MA because you wanna become a civilian cop later on.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Haas is partially correct. I'm a 68W in the guard, my civilian job i'm also an EMT. Employers do notice your military training as a medic, it does help with potential fire jobs. Problem is anything you can make a career of requires a EMT-P ( paramedic). I was already a EMT-B before joining the military. I became a medic in our unit as such.

i'm in a position where i still will have to attend paramedic school if I wish to further my career. In the civilan world as a EMT-B you might be luckly to work within a 9-11 system as a backup. Most exciting calls I do are CCT or critical care transports, with a RN on two EMTs onboard. Patient is hooked up to IVs and EKGs. 98% of being an EMT is doing interfacility transports with medicare or seniors, in the private business, if you work for a private company.

My point being is the military will only take you so far. I believe 11x or some SF guys get paramedic rated while in the service. Most 68Ws are EMT-Bs.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 08-11-2014 at 11:16 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 12:14 AM

Above all be sure you can make money in the civilian world at whatever mos you do, if you do t plan on spending 20 plus years in. I was grunt infantry and even though I loved it you can't use it outside besides LEO jobs, which all my Marine buddies are. If I was you I'd look on usajobs and find out what pays well to transfer over too, if I did it now I'd look at UAV.
Old 08-12-2014, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
Above all be sure you can make money in the civilian world at whatever mos you do, if you do t plan on spending 20 plus years in. I was grunt infantry and even though I loved it you can't use it outside besides LEO jobs, which all my Marine buddies are. If I was you I'd look on usajobs and find out what pays well to transfer over too, if I did it now I'd look at UAV.
11boo would help a mailman with all the walking they do.
Old 08-12-2014, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Haas View Post
Dude, you can get an EMT cert in about three months through a community college program... I did. If you're looking to enlist, look toward a rating or MOS that's going to give you a security clearance and technical training; you can easily get your EMT cert after getting out if you don't decide to put your clearance and training to work making $$$ for a defense contractor.

Navy Corpsman (HM) is more clinic nursing type of work... unless you get Fleet Marine Force, which is a small percentage of HM's as a whole. I worked with a guy who went 68W... he regretted it cuz he left 4 years later with just the basic veteran benefits and an EMT cert.

The general rule is - don't go HM/68W because you wanna become a civilian medic later on... and don't go MP/MA because you wanna become a civilian cop later on.
You can also be a independent duty corpsman, which is almost like a PA. They go underway on smaller craft, like a submarine, and are in charge of all of the medical there. They do small procedures, sometimes greater ones in an emergency, proscribe medications and what not. You could do a lot in 4 years, but after that I would roll out. There are many opportunities for training at least in the Navy. To me, we get more than other branches. But, that is just a lay observation from what I have seen dealing with all my friends and buddies in other branches.

Security clearance hasn't helped as much as I thought it would imo. Every agency I have spoken with was going to do their own background check regardless.

2L Student. Nothing is legal advice, just simply my 2 cents worth of opinions.

Last edited by Funtimes; 08-12-2014 at 4:25 AM..
Old 08-12-2014, 6:52 AM

Thank you guys for all the help. Looks like I have more research to do.

Are there any fun technical jobs out there that would translate over? My sister is a linguist and she sits all day long in a dark room stairing at computers and doesn't like it. When she gets out she can do something with it but right now she isn't to happy.
Old 08-12-2014, 9:35 AM

68W does afford a lot of job opportunity. Most of which comes as re-enlistment options. I know two of the medics at the holding facility I worked at, were able to do green to gold pretty easily. One became a physical therapist, and the other became a PA. (That was 2006 time frame, so I don't know the current situation). My brother went from 68W to RN through the military. But like I said earlier, most of those situations are re-enlistment options. The Army is willing to pay, as long as you are willing to make a commitment.
Old 08-12-2014, 9:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
hello guy/gals

tomorrow i am going to take the asvab for the first time, im excited to see how i do and hope to do well. all the practice ones that i have taken i have scored high on and the recruiter told me i would be able to do pretty much anything i wanted (keep in mind recruiter told me ) i have been studying and brushing up on some of the stuff that is going to be on the test.

does anyone have any tips on taking the test or whats on it that i need to study?

i am hoping that i score well enough to get the job i want (68W). as a back up are there any other jobs that i should keep as a back up that will translate into the civilian world for a ok/well paying job. everyone that i have talked to has said pretty much anything with technology now a days will help you get a job. i planned to become an EMT through the 68W training then go to paramedic school. the recruiter said i should have three or more backups for jobs, i dont want to be a trash man in the military.

as of right now im going in a reservist and planned to do 4 years but the recruiter mentioned that six in the reserves isnt bad and you "can" get enlistment bonuses.

as for my contract i have a buddy who was a 68W that was attached to an airborne unit and went to airborne school. my brother in law was also a ranger who went to airborne school and said that i should get airborne. after talking to my recruiter he said that it is not that common for 68w to get airborne in there contract, and everyone i have talked to says that if i really want it that it better be in my contract and dont take any promises from them because it wont happen. i really want to get airborne but i do now know if there are any airborne units around me that i can be assigned too. i also read that if you do get airborne you will be assigned to a combat unit but if you dont get airborne there is more of a chance to get assigned to a hospital and not a unit. i really want to get assigned to a combat unit and be out there.

do i have any leverage to get them to give me airborne in my contract? i know with the shrinking of the military it has become harder and harder to use the whole i wont sign unless trick, i just really want to get airborne....

thank you for your insight.
mike
It is the Armed Services Vocational APTITUDE Battery. It does not test your knowledge, it tests your aptitude.

It is a test where you have to figure things out. Not sure studying for it ever really helped anyone out.

As a former recruiter, when a recruiter tells you that you can do pretty much anything you want, you have to realize that you will only be given the options that they have available within a certain timeframe. Also, it is true, if it isn't in writing, it never happened, no matter what the recruiter promises, no matter what the people at the MEPS promise.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

If they are a Navy Corpse Man, they aren't doing the job correctly.

It is Navy Corpsman, pronounce "Coreman" as in Marine Corps (Core).

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 AM

What some other have said, make sure it's in your contract. If it's not, you're not guaranteed a spot.. Not sure how it works for 68w but I am an 11bang bang and we got opportunities to snag some slots in OSUT. I had mine in my contract though. It's all up to what the army is offering at the time. If there aren't slots this month, tell your recruiter you're not going to sign **** yet and check again next month.
Old 08-12-2014, 1:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
If they are a Navy Corpse Man, they aren't doing the job correctly.

It is Navy Corpsman, pronounce "Coreman" as in Marine Corps (Core).
Preach it bro!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 PM

Sorry guys the whole corpse man was auto correct on iPhone.

Scored 80 on the test and 115+ on my line scores. Time to start narrowing down jobs.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Sorry guys the whole corpse man was auto correct on iPhone.

Scored 80 on the test and 115+ on my line scores. Time to start narrowing down jobs.

As other people have demonstrated, the classifier (that's what we called them in the Navy) will be the guy at the MEPS station processing people, and basically, he controls the jobs. They know the needs of the military - and that will be what is available.

Be willing to stand for what you want, and be willing to wait for it.

2L Student. Nothing is legal advice, just simply my 2 cents worth of opinions.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:14 AM

I don't know where you are located but if you're interested in a 68W attached to an airborne unit, why don't you go one further and try out for the best of the best. USAF Pararescue. The 129th Rescue Wing is located near San Jose and you will be a full medic doing much more than just jumping out of planes.
Old 08-13-2014, 8:29 AM

Being a PJ would be awesome but as of right now I'm doing reserves and I don't think they allow reserve PJ'S
Old 08-13-2014, 10:18 AM

The AF equivalent of being a medic is 4N0X1 Aerospace Medical Service. They have to pass a test for national EMT certification upon completion of tech school. From there you would continue training and can possibly shred out and become a certified paramedic or IDMT, which are basically like an enlisted PA to an extent
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 AM

good luck on your asvab though. i took mine 2 years ago and didnt study anything or take any pretests and made an 85 on it according to AF standards
Old 08-13-2014, 12:12 PM

Thank you I scored a 80 on the asvab and was told that I could pretty much do almost anything, I has good line scores as well.

The army's 68w is also certified at an emt in the private sector.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:18 PM

Your GT score is more of what counts as far as MOS and schools and ****
Old 08-13-2014, 2:24 PM

I got 116 on my gt score. Recruiter said that it was good and can do a lot. Have a physical tomorrow
Old 08-13-2014, 4:10 PM

Why not go active duty? Or enlist as an 18x and try to become the team medic. You might get Airborne School in your contract but you probably will never jump again. The school is miserable, the fun part if jumping with your unit. Active duty will open up unlimited opportunities if you look for them. Becoming a medic or a commo guy can get you into more places than you could imagine. Every unit needs both. And realize that no matter what job you pick, at some point you will be behind a desk.

Would you want to go out on missions with dudes that train a couple days a month or dudes that train hours everyday and strive for perfection? If I were going to risk my life I would want to be with the best.

I was going to join the National Guard and someone on here talked to into Active Duty. I am very glad he did. I have had amazing opportunities and I am just getting started. Feel free to PM me if you want.
Old 08-13-2014, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Thank you I scored a 80 on the asvab and was told that I could pretty much do almost anything, I has good line scores as well.

The army's 68w is also certified at an emt in the private sector.
Please do something that you actually LIKE. If you like something, you will excel at it. I'm guessing you won't be a proofreader. (<snicker>)

Don't get pushed into something just because the Army "needs" it.
Old 08-13-2014, 6:12 PM

I won't get pushed Into anything just don't know what job exactly to do.

I want to get something that can translate into something that I can use in the civilain job place. I know that a lot of good paying jobs involve technical jobs. I have not really thought about any technical jobs. I wanted to get 68w so I could go to paramedic school and do that or go into something medical. Honestly when I think about what I really want to do in the military is be on the ground with the guys helping them out and being with my unit.

The other side is like stated above I want to be able to get a job with the mos I go into.
Old 08-13-2014, 6:16 PM

Started to look into the 35 mos, 35l seems like it would be awesome to get into.
Old 08-13-2014, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Being a PJ would be awesome but as of right now I'm doing reserves and I don't think they allow reserve PJ'S
I don't know where you are located but the 129th Rescue wing is an Air Nation Guard Unit located near San Jose, Ca. Our main mission is rescue utilizing HH-60s, C-130s, and PJs. The Guard follows the same reserve style schedule only we are controlled by the State. Don't be fooled however as we deploy quite often.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Can't go wrong with intel jobs!

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 08-14-2014, 2:32 AM

rscan, I'm located in SoCal you're about 5 hours away from me. That sounds pretty awesome and deploying doesn't worry me I expect it and kind of hope for it so I can experience it...