Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 06-25-2014, 7:40 PM

Default Deployment-What plate carrier/sling would you get or have you used?

Whats up all?

Getting ready for my 6th Deployment but this ones 13-15 months. I'm in the USAF and I wont be doing my primary job rather advising others on what we would do.

I will be wearing all my gear just about everyday all day. I will be issued these both a sling and carrier but the plate carrier is a bit bulky. The guy im replacing recommended me to look into a plate carrier because its a little less restrictive/lighter.

I'm looking for a good recommendation on single point slings to carry my M4 and a plate carrier that will hold all the plates that I will be issued. I just want to make sure it will hold the plates/be the appropriate size...

Thanks all and next month I hit 10 years in!
Old 06-25-2014, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

I wore an SKD PIG on my last deployment coupled with a FirstSpear cummerbund and TACOS. I went relatively slick, just one row of mags on my front along with a BFG MBITR pouch, nothing on the sides, and then I had a USGG battle belt that had two more rifle TACOS, two pistols ones, pistol holster, gerber, IFAK and dump pouch. All in all this was a super comfortable kit.
Old 06-25-2014, 7:55 PM
Banned

Are you sure you're even allowed to wear a plate carrier that's not issued? Better check first, some commanders won't allow it. What job will you exactly be doing? A sling is personal preference, but if you won't be using your weapon do not get a single point or at the very least get a single/double combo.
Old 06-25-2014, 8:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I thought personal IBA wasn't allowed anymore?

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 06-25-2014, 8:14 PM

Thanks for the info, I have asked the person that im replacing all the questions that you all have brought up. Im waiting to hear back from him but he says he wears one and recommended me to buy both of the items I've mentioned.

I am required to carry both M4/M9 at all times, ill be embedded in an army unit. Really dont want to say much more than that.
Old 06-25-2014, 8:27 PM
Banned

Don't ask the guy you're gonna replace lol. Didn't you say you're almost at your ten year mark? You should know this by now. Ask your commanding officer and the commander of the unit you will be attached to.
Old 06-26-2014, 1:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanksbeamen View Post
Thanks for the info, I have asked the person that im replacing all the questions that you all have brought up. Im waiting to hear back from him but he says he wears one and recommended me to buy both of the items I've mentioned.

I am required to carry both M4/M9 at all times, ill be embedded in an army unit. Really dont want to say much more than that.
If you're going to be embedded with an army unit, you will be issued the army IBA. Ok so let's say you're going to do something highspeed, do you really want to look different than everyone else all rambo'd out?

If you're checking IDs at the DFAC then I guess it really doesn't matter.
Old 06-26-2014, 9:04 AM

The eagle industries scalable carrier the USMC used to issue is by far the best option for the money. I have little to no complaints about them and have never heard anyone say many negative things.

The second option if you want to spend more would be to get the ares armor carriers. They are great, they fit well, great warranty, will fit military issued plates. They are a tad expensive though.
Old 06-26-2014, 9:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
If you're going to be embedded with an army unit, you will be issued the army IBA. Ok so let's say you're going to do something highspeed, do you really want to look different than everyone else all rambo'd out?

If you're checking IDs at the DFAC then I guess it really doesn't matter.
All of that^

If you're win an infantry unit you'll get issued a plate carrier (thought everyone got them now but Dog's mention of the IBA makes it seem like some don't get them). Those things are badass.

Does anyone know who makes them or if they are available to the civilian market?
Old 06-26-2014, 8:14 PM

Just seeing whats out there, If I can find a good one I'll ask my unit to contact the GSA store and price it out. If not, I'll survive with the issued IBA...Was just looking for opinions from people that have deployed with them so thanks for the info so far!

No I dont think all army units get the same because some with regular IBA I've worn on my past 2 deployments and then others with different style plate carriers. Probably depends on the unit and size/jobs etc.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Banned

Go with what's issued. Period
Old 06-26-2014, 11:43 PM

I'll be the positive one... The issued PLATE CARRIER and not IOTV is pretty bad A.$.S. bro. I didnt find it bulky at all. And what your commander doesn't know wont hurt em. The worst they can say when they see you with high speed gear is take it off. But as long as its multicam you are not going to get F'd with. Guys in my unit ended up getting the bds carrier and used the issued TAP. Kevlar wise stick with whats issued cause if you go rockin an ops core rig, the PJ's will start talkin crap to you...since they're SOCOM... but their not as bad as the sorry SOWT's...IMO! Good luck and stay safe. No telling what ROE you'll be dealing with, since the NDS is running and advising most ops in the ATO. Take Care and if any questions about up to date ROE feel free to PM me. Of course this all depends on what RC you are going to be stationed in.

-Stinger

RIP SGT Carlo "Eugie" Eugenio

KIA 29 OCT 2011 Camp Phoenix, Kabul, AFG

Last edited by Tracer666; 06-26-2014 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: left out info
Old 06-27-2014, 8:48 PM

I'll just echo what's already been said... Go with what's issued. I'm not going to lie, I'm being hypocritical. One of my deployments I wore a Diamondback tactical plate carrier that wasn't necessarily legit. It was comfortable as hell. Looking back on it, it was a stupid decision and thank the stars I wasn't shot in it. I'm sure there would have been a line of duty determination.

The KDH / IOTV really isn't that bad and wore them on subsequent deployments. You get used to it.. Are you even going to be doing serious dismounted ops in an advisory role? (More than 15-20km a day?) If not, stick with the standard gear and streamline it. Only thing on my vests after the first deployment are M4 magazines. Dump pouch and IFAK on a patrol belt and call it good. Leave the side arm in the pelican. One last note, we eventually had an MFR from AFCENT giving us the go ahead for plate carriers on specific mission sets, so you may want to look into that regarding your specific career field.

Edit: Another place to cut weight is in your rifle. Do you REALLY need that vfg/flashlight/bipod combo or that peq? I'm not sure what your primary job is so maybe you do need a peq. If you're packing full MREs, have someone show you how to field strip an MRE.. It saves a lot of weight and space in your ruck.

Last edited by Micu; 06-27-2014 at 8:54 PM..
Old 06-27-2014, 9:02 PM
Professional Beer Drinker
CGN Contributor

Don't get a single point sling. If you do any work that requires both hands it will be banging you in the side the whole time. If (God forbid) you have a casualty to carry or drag, you single point sling will now drag your weapon through the dirt and be one more lose piece of gear flopping around. Go with a two point. You can sling it across your back and also use it to help create a stable firing position.

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.

Sig P**6 Tacops and P**7 Tacops for sale
Old 06-27-2014, 9:24 PM

Line medic here, were headed to RC East again late summer. Our issue plate carrier (which I'm assuming is standard across the Army) is great. Only infantry units get them though, everyone else gets IOTV's still.

Our company is authorized our personal gear, but the cost/benefit ratio of getting one isn't enough for me. I'm 6'2" 200 lbs but I wear the issue medium plate carrier but with my own pouches. Most of my buddies who are bringing their own plate carriers run the Tac Tailor fight light rig. As for the sling, I use the issue 2 point sling with a blueforcegear rail mount fixed loop.

Last edited by pfdr1991; 06-27-2014 at 9:28 PM..
Old 06-28-2014, 1:16 PM

Make sure you are authorized to use non-issue plate carriers before you buy anything. There's a very good chance you will not be allowed wear anything other than what's given to you. If you are ever in contact and the subsequent investigation uncovers that you were using personally purchased equipment it could go very bad for you and your chain of command.

Also, while still being fielded stateside, the IBA is considered a legacy system. Most deployers will be issued a Gen I/II IOTV.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't wear anything that's not authorized. What if you get injured or killed wearing gear you're not supposed to like that plate carrier? I'd be worried about getting denied the life insurance for my family if that happened.
Old 06-30-2014, 5:37 PM

I will advise you to find a rig compatible with your soft and hard armor. Your unit can't really say **** when the protective properties and coverage remain the same, and the age old threat of withheld SGLI is impotent. #1 would be to get the issued armor and assess the size of the soft plates, then start looking. I have an MBAV, SKD PIG, and 2 issued Crye rigs. The PIG was really an excellent carrier and lasted 2 deployment, and ARMY dogs had some units open purchasing them and authorizing them for use in Multicam. That might be your winner right there.
Old 07-01-2014, 1:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
I wouldn't wear anything that's not authorized. What if you get injured or killed wearing gear you're not supposed to like that plate carrier? I'd be worried about getting denied the life insurance for my family if that happened.
^^^This! Even if someone a few ranks above you says its cool or even your replacement, do you really want to deny your family the $400k because you want to look high speed?
Old 07-01-2014, 9:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
^^^This! Even if someone a few ranks above you says its cool or even your replacement, do you really want to deny your family the $400k because you want to look high speed?
Please enlighten me as to how they would deny your SGLI benefits because you are wearing one piece of fabric instead of another? If you are still wearing the issued ballistic protection, soft armor panels and the ESAPI plates then there is no reason for them to deny you.

The fabric isn't the part that protects you, it merely there to hold in place what does protect you.
Old 07-01-2014, 9:50 AM

There is a centcom order and there are also specific service level orders that tell you the only authorized PPE is that which is issued. The only leniency on that is for JSOTF people, and their equipment must be vetted by SOCOM prior to units purchasing them.
While highly unlikely, if you are KIA or WIA and the reason it happened is non-approved PPE that does constitute negligence to the point that the DOD technically could pull your benifits. It works the same way with motorcycle PPE which I have actually seen happen to a Marine killed riding without a helmet even though it was legal in that state the MCO clearly requires it regardless of local law. The material used in the vest may be the same but I could sit differently than intended or not have additional Kevlar in the vest(most carriers do not).

As for the sling one points suck without a weapons catch and even then I still don't prefer them. I have one on my personal AR because it was free but my m4 has a 3 point on it. I have used 1, 2, and 3 point slings and still go back to 3 point as my preference. I like the way it carries and provides additional stability if used properly.

Last edited by The sarge; 07-01-2014 at 9:52 AM..
Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
Please enlighten me as to how they would deny your SGLI benefits because you are wearing one piece of fabric instead of another? If you are still wearing the issued ballistic protection, soft armor panels and the ESAPI plates then there is no reason for them to deny you.

The fabric isn't the part that protects you, it merely there to hold in place what does protect you.
Wow, I wrote this long winded response regurgitating everything my immediate chain has ever told me about losing SGLI from body armor and seat belts on duty to seat belts and helmets in civilian vehicles. I then googled it so I could show responses and came across this.

http://benefits.va.gov/INSURANCE/sgli_myths_rumors.asp

I guess all the stuff that was hammered into our heads was false
Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 PM

One of my co-workers is a retired Army 1SG, and he used a "wolf hook" lanyard while he was over there. It's basically just a lanyard connecting the butt of your M4 to the shoulder of your vest. Benefits of a single point without banging you in the jewels. Also takes the weight of the carbine while you maintain positive control of your weapon.

http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical...n-lanyard.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-01-2014, 3:32 PM
Banned

I still don't understand why the OP wants something else. If you're doing high speed stuff, you're going to get issued a high speed rig. If not, you don't need it anyway.
Old 07-13-2014, 7:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX9989 View Post
Make sure you are authorized to use non-issue plate carriers before you buy anything. There's a very good chance you will not be allowed wear anything other than what's given to you. If you are ever in contact and the subsequent investigation uncovers that you were using personally purchased equipment it could go very bad for you and your chain of command.

Also, while still being fielded stateside, the IBA is considered a legacy system. Most deployers will be issued a Gen I/II IOTV.
as far as IBA or PC's are considered yes pouches are a different story those shouldn't land anyone in hot water. if using anything other that Army approved armor SLGI will probably not pay out if killed in combat wearing non issue armor.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wow, I wrote this long winded response regurgitating everything my immediate chain has ever told me about losing SGLI from body armor and seat belts on duty to seat belts and helmets in civilian vehicles. I then googled it so I could show responses and came across this.

http://benefits.va.gov/INSURANCE/sgli_myths_rumors.asp

I guess all the stuff that was hammered into our heads was false
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
as far as IBA or PC's are considered yes pouches are a different story those shouldn't land anyone in hot water. if using anything other that Army approved armor SLGI will probably not pay out if killed in combat wearing non issue armor.
See above Chris, right from the horse's mouth.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
^^^^ best answer here so far.... If you are wearing unauthorized equipment you can risk losing medical benefits , life insurance and/or you might get charged for certain expenses .
I say this as a medic , when I was in RC South we had a guy get con cussed in an MRAP and he wasn't wearing his ACH at the time of the Incident and they tried to get him to pay 20% of his MRi/CT scans to teach him a lesson. Ultimately is what your brigade/battalion (or highest echelon in theater)CO puts out. Ask for the Army multi cam plate carrier , it's slim and lightweight...

Old 07-14-2014, 1:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
^^^^ best answer here so far.... If you are wearing unauthorized equipment you can risk losing medical benefits , life insurance and/or you might get charged for certain expenses .
I say this as a medic , when I was in RC South we had a guy get con cussed in an MRAP and he wasn't wearing his ACH at the time of the Incident and they tried to get him to pay 20% of his MRi/CT scans to teach him a lesson. Ultimately is what your brigade/battalion (or highest echelon in theater)CO puts out. Ask for the Army multi cam plate carrier , it's slim and lightweight...
It's already been proven in this thread that it's a myth (and literally highlighted directly above your post).

However, I'm not a fan of it. If you're doing high speed stuff, you'll get high speed gear. Otherwise you look like a try hard.
Old 07-14-2014, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkwayDrive View Post
It's already been proven in this thread that it's a myth (and literally highlighted directly above your post).

However, I'm not a fan of it. If you're doing high speed stuff, you'll get high speed gear. Otherwise you look like a try hard.
I was more or less referring to what happens while in service . Then again I was with the 82nd and they try to F everybody

Old 07-14-2014, 4:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I was in theater when the Army put an ALARCAT that no personal IBA was allowed to be used in Iraq. I had to go to Baghdad and get a new IBA so I would be in compliance. it's not worth the risk of benefits to your family should you be KIA for wearing personal armor.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

There is no risk, the SGLI people say so themselves.
Old 07-15-2014, 1:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
There is no risk, the SGLI people say so themselves.
do you have a source?

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-16-2014, 3:20 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to wait and make sure it's something that is authorized before doing anything else, don't want to waist funds on something that wouldn't be used if it isn't.
Old 07-16-2014, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
do you have a source?
The link posted above, directly from their website's FAQs, and again, we are talking about personally owned plate carrier, just a bunch of nylon, not ballistic soft armor panels or plates. Now I can understand the hesitation in using personally owned armor, although I had personally owned soft armor behind the plates I was issued, nobody took any issue with it, but just the carrier? its just nylon, has no protective properties at all, whether personally owned or Gov issued.
Old 07-16-2014, 4:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
The link posted above, directly from their website's FAQs, and again, we are talking about personally owned plate carrier, just a bunch of nylon, not ballistic soft armor panels or plates. Now I can understand the hesitation in using personally owned armor, although I had personally owned soft armor behind the plates I was issued, nobody took any issue with it, but just the carrier? its just nylon, has no protective properties at all, whether personally owned or Gov issued.
Why did you have your own personal soft armor?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkwayDrive View Post
Why did you have your own personal soft armor?
Because the panels in the KDH plate carrier and the IOTV wouldn't fit in my PIG, and I felt the soft panels was good extra insurance (totally unneeded) in backing the ESAPIs.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Because the panels in the KDH plate carrier and the IOTV wouldn't fit in my PIG, and I felt the soft panels was good extra insurance (totally unneeded) in backing the ESAPIs.
Oh gotcha. You didn't like the KDH? I'm no expert in PCs but I thought it was awesome and would love to pick one of my own up.
Old 07-17-2014, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

The KDH is quite possibly the worst designed PC on the market, the fastex clips securing the cummerbund is horrible in that it leads the cummerbund sagging tremendously, putting the side plates down on the hips and not up under the arms where they belong. Additionally the fabric on the front and back is just so loose that pouches and everything just flops around. I didn't experience this myself but witnessed it on the ones everyone else wore.
Old 07-17-2014, 3:30 PM

What's your unit SOP? We're issued this plate carrier but I have seen pogs walking around with interceptors (mostly during some moto pt).

Stay away from anything too bulky, it'll just get annoying and expensive. I threw on my own hsgi tacos and that's really it. As for the KDH carrier being terrible, that may be true but I secure my cummerbund with zip ties and tighten everything up tremendously. I'm a pretty big dude standing 6'2 but it seems to fit quite snug and I retain a lot of freedom.

Obviously it's The Corps and we won't get the best but I haven't seen much reason to complain.

Last edited by Ahmad; 07-17-2014 at 3:33 PM..