Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 06-23-2014, 6:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Thank a Vietnam vet when you see them

the other night my girlfriend and I are at Charlies Chili in Newport Beach. three people sat outside and one had Combat Infantry hat on the back said Vietnam.

after we finished I thanked him for his service and the surprised look on his face was priceless needless to say. his friend also with him was in Vietnam.

the gentleman with the hat told me it took him 20 years to wear his hat. I said never be ashamed of being there. I understand the BS they went through coming home and that I thanked them because Vietnam vets were there and DFW in Texas when I got of the plane coming home and making dam well sure the same crap they went through didn't happen to us coming home from Iraq or Afghanistan.

the lady with them started crying because someone actually took the time to thank them for their service.

I have to say it was a great feeling making their night. lots of these guys were spit on, called names and so on we know the history of what they went through in Vietnam and when they came home.

so the next time you are out and see a Vietnam vet with his hat on thank him. but also any vet doesn't really need to be someone who served during war time. The Korean vets are the ones most forgotten.

I really don't post stuff like this but it was a good feeling doing it. being an Iraq war vet makes it even better.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 06-23-2014, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm sure that VN vet was very thankful for the thanks he received from you.

Last edited by GMG; 06-24-2014 at 9:08 AM..
Old 06-23-2014, 7:28 PM

My dad has people stop and thank him alot, he loves it. Especially after the way they were treated when they got home, that was dark days, I would've not dealt with that as well as he did.
Old 06-23-2014, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

Just don't wake them up while they're sleeping......
Old 06-23-2014, 8:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG View Post
I'm sure that VN vet was very thankful for the thanks for the thanks he received from you.
all three of them were. I don't think he gets it that much if at all.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-20-2014, 9:30 AM

+1 on this post, totally agree!

VN vets have faced countless challenges and short-changing over the last several decades. They are a generation of my predecessors that venerate.

I'm a member of an American Legion post, I feel like a total fraud standing in the presence of my brothers. At age 33 I'm literally the "baby" and the young guy of the group. A majority are all VN vets, with a handful of WW2 and Korean War veterans. I listen to every word & story they say intently.

The one thing I always think to myself; these guys did the extraordinary things they did without all of the modern cool stuff I have; SAPI plates, Kevlar helmets, gore tex, decent boots and such. I only hope to one day, live to become half the man that many of my bothers in the AmLeg. are.
Old 07-20-2014, 9:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have three neighbors that are Vietnam vets and all of them have hats or other implements that state they are. They all are proud of the fact and anyone that ever would demean them for it better hope they have good insurance.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
Have three neighbors that are Vietnam vets and all of them have hats or other implements that state they are. They all are proud of the fact and anyone that ever would demean them for it better hope they have good insurance.
I was told about the same thing from a Vietnam vet when I was younger. these men went through hell and got crapped on when they got home. as they get older people forget Vietnam ever happened the same with Korean war vets. they are still around but they are passing away also.

Quote:
contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

When we came back from ODS, we participated in a parade in Houston. A bunch of Vietnam Vets joined in our formation and marched with us. One of the guys in my unit had served in Vietnam, and he was leading all the Vietnam guys that joined us. The crowd on the parade route cheering for these guys was great!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

My former classmate was old tunnel rat Vietnam veteran. Stand up guy, quiet too.
Old 07-21-2014, 4:10 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks I appreciate that!

Old 07-21-2014, 4:26 PM

This half makes me want to go out and thank VN vets, and the other half makes me want to go f*ck up old hippies.